shape
carat
color
clarity

Smart Phone Help

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So what does a PSer do when they aren't sure about a big purchase? Post on PS.

We have Verizon with no plans to change that.

I have a Droid right now that I am okay with. But the battery life has run down and I would prefer a phone that allows me faster downloads for my Nook Ap, faster web browsing for PS, and faster texting and email and uploads from my phone to Facebook (and faster Facebook). A nice camera is a bonus and a larger screen for reading/web browsing/typing would be a bonus.

I do have a great track record of destroying/damaging my phones.

I don't play games on my phone. And I'm not an Ap hound at all.

From what I have read, for how I use my phone 4G is best for me (and it is available where I live).

I'd like phone recommendations. Here are the options I know of (but I WOULD LOVE OTHERS!!!)

Droid Razr Maxx. DH upgraded to this, and it's really easy for me to use it. It's got the Ice Cream OS, it's got Gorilla Glass and Kevlar (durable). Good battery life and with the warranty that's part of our bundle when the battery gives up the ghost they will replace the phone (integrated battery). It is a big boring (okay a lot boring) though.

Samsung S3. Ice Cream Cone OS. Gorilla Glass (no kevlar). Okay battery life, but since the battery isn't integrated I can buy batteries if I need them-- and I like that. It's got a nice design and I like the big screen but the screen is dark. I also like the way it's laid out. It's not as reliable as either the iPhone or the Droid though, and reliability is big for me. The camera isn't great either as I understand it. The iphone like features (Siri like, etc.) aren't well done so I wouldn't use them as they would frustrate me (in the store I wasn't impressed with these). But it's less boring than the Droid.

Iphone 4G. Not out yet. From what I gather it is supposed to be out in October. I am fine waiting if I need to. My problem is the iphone is not intuitive for me. At all. I am smart though, and could probably figure it out, but I do not generally like apple products (I know, sacrilege). I don't like the way the programs run (I've been an PC user all my life).

What do you guys think I should do. And do you have any other phone suggestions for me?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
The iPhone 5 (new one) is out at the middle-end of sept from all the announcements out now. the 4 is already out and will become the EOL version when 5 comes out. The 4S is also out and will be about a year old when the 5 is out.

What bothers me about most of the android options is that carriers and google don't keep them as updated on OS as apple keeps iPhone. EVERYONE can have the newest or they can choose not to. But with Androids you only can if it's made available to your phone/carrier. So after the newer one comes out you MIGHT get it, but most likely won't.

if you get a screen protector and a hard case you should not have too many issues, unless you drop it just right. Get insurance regardless.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi ame, if it's out that early I might just wait. I just don't know if I will like using it. KWIM? I really don't care for other apple products. I do like the fact that I can just use my itunes on it though.

With any of them I would get a case and the screen protector and insurance is standard with our plan.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I had an Evo last year and hated it. I didn't care for the touch screen and the battery life was awful.

I thought I hated all touch screen phones. And then I got the iPhone 4s. I LOVE that phone and the battery life is pretty amazing. Unless I'm traveling for work and on it all day long, it doens't have to be re-charged at all during the day. And I'm a pretty heavy user.

If the new iPhone really is close, I'd wait and get that.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you sat and played with an Iphone at either the VZW store or at Apple? I would seriously sit and tinker. It's a VERY easy phone to work with, and the stock apps are pretty well done. The iPhone5 won't be, at least software wise, drastically different than it is now, though there will be some newer features. But for the most part it won't be much different. The body itself will change a little from what is rumored. I would play with the iPhone in store, and IF it's appealing when it comes out you can get one then, or if you like the 4s you can get that when the 5 comes out, and you'll still have another year, easily, of viability and support on that, and you'll have played with it enough to know if you'll like it.

Prior to the iPhone I had a new phone every 3 or 4 months, I just like new and neat. But I would sit at the sprint or verizon or att store for like an hour plus just screwing around with the thing and seeing if it's something I find intuitive for me.

Also as far as battery life? I can get 4 days on a charge sometimes. I usually charge it overnight every other night just to keep it above half. I don't know that I am a super power user. But I use it. And IF you get one, and you get the FB app..."kill" it every time you're done bec otherwise it keeps pulling data and burns power.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have played with them and just don't care for them. But I'll go and try it more seriously. I don't need new and neat-- it wouldn't match anything in my life or my personality :lol: . I'm the type of person that just wants it to work, substantially bug free and uninterrupted, for 2 years at least. Dings and scratches and gouges are fine-- glitches and errors and restarting it is not. I do like the resale on the iphones though. Hmm.

No comments on the Droid or the Samsung?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
IF you think 2 years with a 4s is ok, that's what I'd get ONLY if you play with and like it. It gets the job done and is generally stable.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1345577147|3254950 said:
IF you think 2 years with a 4s is ok, that's what I'd get ONLY if you play with and like it. It gets the job done and is generally stable.

I really want 4G so the 4s doesn't work for me. I'd wait for the 5.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got an iphone (I think the 4s?). I had to drag myself kicking and screaming away from my crackberry because I (despite what Steve Jobs said) LOVE LOVE LOVE the keyboard. But alas, my new company gave me an iphone and here I am. It is surprisingly intuitive (even for a PC user like me) and I have adapted quickly. Also, I great GREAT battery life--so much so that I'm still surprised by it. Maybe my berry battery was just old, but I feel like this phone keeps a charge A LOT longer than that one did.

I'll be curious to see what you get!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
According to Mr Enerchi, the new iphone 5 is apparently going to have a different charger "thingamajiggie" that won't be compatible with ipad, ipod, iphone 4 or under. Also if you have any docking system, it will be different so won't sit on those --- without an adapter. May or may not be any interest or inconvenience for you, but thought I'd share!

I love my iphone. I had a BB before this and found it wonderful for texting - I thought I preferred keys to a touch pad - but the iphones are very intuitive. You can do a lot with them without having to learn how to do apps, short cuts, etc. And you dont have to put games on, but you can put info on stores you frequent, maps, parking, news, radio, restaurants...

I know nothing of the alternatives you were looking at, just wanted to support the Apple team!! I'm happy I converted and find it so much easier to use and confess to being a huge fan of Bejewelled!!! Whenever I'm waiting for a client or community partner to arrive at a home visit, I'm happy to play games!! But I'm a simple soul..... :D

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea the charging port, the size/shape, will be different on the 5. But there's still no confirmation that it will be 4G/LTE, so til the official announcement is out, that's all speculation.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Droid Razr; no idea if it's the same model you are looking at, but I purchased it this past spring and it has 4G. It works really well for me. Decent battery life, I charge every night and that's sufficient for all day use, but it doesn't usually make it two full days on one charge unless I have it turned off for a large portion. It charges up really quickly, though. I chose this one because I could set my texting mode to swype and not all models do that. I switched from a Samsung Galaxy and it was possesed; seriously, I hated that phone.

Dh has a Droid HTC that he has really liked; I think the newest model of that is out and has 4G. It's really about what you are used to, but I don't find the HTC as intuitive as the Razr, but I could certainly get more comfortable with it.

kefira

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1345568722|3254902 said:
[snip]Ice Cream Cone OS.[snip]
:lol: I thought this (typo?) was funny. But, I'm with you - I'm not an Apple fangrrl, either. My phone is from last year (Galaxy Nexus, I do love my Samsung), so I can't comment on your current options, but my favorite place to read reviews of new phones is Gizmodo. Here's the S3 review, for example. New phones are fun!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I am super picky and have found something wrong with just about every phone that I've owned. But I've had the iPhone 4 for about a year and a half and its the first phone that I'll probably keep using even after I'm able to upgrade. I love this phone and the battery life is great. I owned a Droid phone before and it was alright but I much prefer my iPhone.

Good luck deciding! =)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1345577634|3254955 said:
ame|1345577147|3254950 said:

I really want 4G so the 4s doesn't work for me. I'd wait for the 5.
Just curious, but why? When I'm at home, my phone automatically connects to the Wifi, and it's faster than the 4G would be anyway. And wifi networks are available everywhere now.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
4G LTE on Verizon is AMAZING. Trust me, you don't want to miss out on it. It's 10x faster than 3G and at times faster than my home Wi-Fi. I'm currently using my old original Motorola Droid now because my Samsung Galaxy Nexus is in for repairs, and I sooooo miss the Nexus and 4G.

You probably already know that I'm a major Android fan and will pick it over iOS any day (I have both an Android phone and an iPad, so I'm familiar with both). Like you, I also don't tend to like Apple products aside from the original iPods. Nobody does mp3 players as well as Apple...I'll give them that. But as for smartphones, they're too simple, too locked down, and not customizable enough. Here are the advantages of Android in my eyes:
-I like that I can develop my own Android apps if I want. The apps don't have to be approved by Google in order to be distributed.
-With a few small tweaks that are very easy to apply, you can install custom operating systems and such without having to wait for over the air updates. The possibilities are endless, although they void your warranty.
-I love widgets and the amount of information they provide in just a few pixels.
-4G LTE is of course a non-negotiable for me.
-I actually find Android much more intuitive than iOS, athough it wasn't difficult to learn either one.
-Having a swappable battery is also a dealbreaker for me, because batteries crap out over time, and you'll eventually need to either replace the battery or replace the phone. I'd rather keep the phone and replace the battery.

So as nice as the RAZR Maxx is otherwise, I'd go with the Samsung. I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus (which BTW is still available on Verizon for $99, just has a slightly slower processor and not as good of a camera compared to the S3.). Coming from a Motorola that was built like a tank and hearing some people say the Nexus had poor build quality, I wasn't sure what to expect. But it's a good solid build that feels sleek in my hand and is still a worthy contender. Not to add more choices to your list...but I really like that it has the plain stock Android OS without any added overlay from Samsung/HTC/Motorola or whoever. If I were making the choice today, it would be between the Nexus and the S3.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1345570514|3254910 said:
Hi ame, if it's out that early I might just wait. I just don't know if I will like using it. KWIM? I really don't care for other apple products. I do like the fact that I can just use my itunes on it though.

Do you know about Google Music? You can set it up to sync your itunes library to the cloud so you can access your entire music collection from any computer or Android device. I still organize my music through itunes and play most of it on my ipod, but I like having the opportunity to get it on my phone without much additional effort.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes, jstar your post just blew my mind! Holy crap you know your sh*t!! I tried to sign up for iCloud and sync my phone and computer... one week ago... and I still have no idea how to complete the process and get it all to work. I used to have a clue about tech stuff but it's been years now.

Anyhoo, Gypsy I'm sadly non-versed in phones but I do have the iPhone 3G. I tried Android phones and non-Apple phones telling myself I would get used to them. I never did. I'm an Apple person through and through. Thus, I don't have specific advice but wanted to say go with your gut and stick with Android options if that's what is intuitive to you. I will say, though, that I agree the iPhone battery life is amazing. I hardly have to think about it, whereas with all other phones I've had it was a constant aggravation.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Everyone's posts have been really helpful (jstar's was amazing though!). I'm going to go with 'wait and see'. I'll give it till mid-September-- if the new Apple is REALLY all that and a bag of chips, then I'll get it. If not-- maybe the Droid Razr Maxx will be even cheaper. Which would be awesome.

I just bought a new battery for my current phone for 12 bucks. So that will last me till I can decide on the rest.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Aww, thanks guys! I'm just a geek with a capital G, and I get excited about things like cell phones. The Motorola e815 was my gateway drug to cell phone modding!

Anyway, I thought of a few things to add to my earlier posts. I got my first Android phone while I was waiting and waiting for the iphone to come to Verizon. I couldn't wait anymore and figured I'd check out this whole Droid thing. Turned out to be one of the best decisions I've made in a while. Since it seems like you're coming from a similar place, I figured it was worth mentioning.

Also, one thing I'd like to point out is how tremendously the Android OS has improved in the past few months. It used to be true that iOS was a much smoother, less buggy system. Apple has always created very polished, fine-tuned products, both externally and internally. However, it can no longer be said that Android is buggy or slow with the advent of Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). It's super-fast, beautifully animated, and I have yet to discover a significant bug.

I mentioned the fact that Android is open-source and allows anyone to create and distribute apps. This is cool not just for practical reasons (I've dipped my toe into the app development pool), but for philosophical reasons. It's saying that Google respects and trusts the ideas of its users and aims to create an environment that fosters progress through collaboration. I can get behind that for sure.

That said, there are some advantages of the iPhone. There are still more apps available for iOS through the appstore. The battery life is almost universally better than Android phones. And Apple products play really well together.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had Blackberry, Droid Incredible and now the iPhone 4. I upgraded to the Droid and used it for 2 months then went back to my Blackberry because it crashed on me all the time and the battery life was horrible. Once we had another upgrade open on our account I got the iPhone 4 and absolutely love it. The battery makes it through the day for me but I don't do any streaming audio or video during the day.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
coming from someone who drops her iPhone on an almost daily basis...I'm an apple addict so i can't really give an unbiased opinion. I did have an android prior to the iphone coming to VZW - but as soon as the iphone came i jumped ship. I have all apple devices in my home - so for me it works "better" and more seamlessly with all my devices. I liked my old android phone too (HTC Incredible) - but i like my iPhone more! :lickout: ETA: Battery on droid was crappy.
get a lifeproof case! waterproof. shock proof. snow proof. dirt proof. Adds almost NO bulk!

Love mine! (prior to lifeproof i used an otterbox. added a ton of bulk but did the purpose to protect from drops.)

http://www.lifeproof.com/lp/iphone-4s-case/?gclid=CK6ayaTR_LECFQQGnQodOHwA8w

http://www.otterbox.com/apple-iphone-cases/apple-iphone-cases,default,sc.html

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, this is a timely thread because I have also been to Verizon to shop for phones in the last couple of weeks. I currently only have email on my little basic phone, but I decided my daughter and I would move up to a smart phone this time. After reading reviews and hearing people rave over the iPhone, I have decided to wait until the new iPhone is out in Sept. (at least it should be announced then). If the 5(?) is great, then we'll get that, but if the improvements are minor, there will be good price cuts on the 4s. But I am hearing screen size may be larger, and that would make the 5 worthwhile to me. One thing that sold me on the iPhone was Siri. The sales girl had one and she just talked in a normal tone and the phone just typed what she said in a text! I had been avoiding the iPhone because I have to have a keypad. But with the 4s, you can use voice to text!

So, I'll be interested to see what you decide. Because of the plan Verizon has, I will get an iPad also if we do go to iPhone. One thing is for sure, I won't be developing my own apps!!! :lol: I just hope I can work the iPhone!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results