shape
carat
color
clarity

SMALL Snow Expected...Should This Be Mentioned In The Winter

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A small snow is expected here (southwestern Connecticut) tonight. Should a small snow even be mentioned on Pricescope in the winter? This one is supposed to leave a total of 3 to 5 inches.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Re: SMALL Snow Expected...Should This Be Mentioned In The Wi

but it'll add to the totals for the 6th snowiest Januaries on record :D

so yes I do think it should be mentioned... :D

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm not even going to start a new snow thread. This one was left over from a small snow we had a few days ago. It (the thread) came to nothing, so I thought it could be re-used. Today it is snowing hard and earlier than expected. We are supposed to get 6 to 10 inches here on the coast and there may be blizzard conditions. I read on one website that the good news was that this was just a coastal storm, the bad news was that the areas that were going to get snow were going to get a lot of it.

davi, I hope you carry your doggies outside. The snow on top of snow up in coastal New Haven must be getting high. When Griffin stands on top of a snowbank here, he can easily look over our four foot fence!

Deb

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock

6-10 isn't such a small snow storm! Though I agree it doesn't seem to make sense to start a new snow thread when it snows every 5 days or so :tongue:

We'll see what tonight is like. Over in the Hudson Valley (where I'm at work) it's not really snowing, but I just looked at the CT traffic cams and it seems I'm going to have a fun ride home. Hopefully I can convince DH to leave by 2pm so we don't sit in traffic for 2 hours.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock

Yeah, another 10-12 inches tonight in the Boston 'burbs. Ho hum. I'm just hoping to get a delay, sometimes school still runs on time even with more than 6" and that makes the traffic a pain. Someone please explain why we live here again?

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

It's already snowing in the Shenandoah Valley :((

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

It's not going to be so small. We already have 6 inches Another front will start around 6PM dropping another 6-10 ending by 3 AM. Nice birthday!!! :devil: Hubby was supposed to fly back this morning, but no can do.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

As I said, it was snowing hard this morning. I left early to get my daughter to school on time and was glad I did because traffic was terrible; dropped her off; then got a call on my cell phone saying that there were no classes. (Yes, I had checked the website, but in the morning. I dropped her at noon.) So back I went to pick her up. Luckily I hadn't driven too far away. We are having a "lull" now but have been told to expect up to 12 inches, maybe 14 tonight. I went and got my Jeep out of the shop, even though they hadn't found out what (sometimes) goes wrong with my heating. It had been in for three days and there isn't another car here with AWD or 4 wheel drive!

Deb

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

Kaleigh|1296066410|2833711 said:
It's not going to be so small. We already have 6 inches Another front will start around 6PM dropping another 6-10 ending by 3 AM. Nice birthday!!! :devil: Hubby was supposed to fly back this morning, but no can do.

:( that sucks Lisa! I'll hate the snow for you so you can be happy today!

Deb- I dig out the yard so the girls can at least go to the bathroom without messing up the sidewalks. But yes, New Haven is running out of places to put the snow. I have a three foot wall of snow along the perimeter of the yard along the sidewalk. My car is parked on 2 inches of ice. I'll be lucky if it takes me 30 minutes to dig my car out enough to get to work tonight. I may have to sleep there after I get off watch.

soocool

Ideal_Rock

DD was afraid to drive to school today so DH dropped her off at 7am (we already had about 2 inches on the ground by then). DD said that more than half of the kids were missing from her 1st period class and many of the teachers did not make it in. High school was dismissed at 11 am and she took the bus home. I had at least 5 calls from the school today apologizing about not closing school today. They said that the weather reports at 4am said it was supposed to be a rain event this morning and the school buses start picking up at around 6:15 am.

It is sleeting now (3:15 pm ) and has been for at least the last hour. The next wave is heading towards us soon and we can get up to 12 inches by tomorrow am.

We are in SE PA (New Hope, PA area)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

About an hour north of Boston -- we're only getting 2-4 inches. I'm thinking we could have a delayed opening. :appl:

soocool

Ideal_Rock

Right now we have thundersnow and lightning!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

soocool|1296086514|2834097 said:
Right now we have thundersnow and lightning!

I'm not sure why, but we seem to be getting the same weather this season. We here in Connecticut just get it a bit later. We have been told to expect very heavy snow-snow so heavy that the plows will be unable to keep up with it-plus thunder and lightning!

Deb

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock

I'm in Georgia, and it last snowed here in 1989.
Tomorrow is the annual snow day where I teach, and perfect weather is forecast. We buy the snow. My children were as excited as they were the day before Christmas vacation all day.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

It's the heaviest I have ever shoveld. I broke my back doing the walkway just now. I don't want it all on husband. But man is it heavy. And no end in sight. Yikes.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kaleigh|1296093178|2834212 said:
It's the heaviest I have ever shoveld. I broke my back doing the walkway just now. I don't want it all on husband. But man is it heavy. And no end in sight. Yikes.

Any guesses as to depth there, Kaleigh?

Deb

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

Deb the second time was way over 6 inches, more like 8... I hear branches cracking and falling. I am glad we did the new roof. I have DD home with a high fever.. My thoughts are on her, and pray we keep the power.. Nighty night all... Stay safe , warm and cozy. I will celebrate tomorrow for sure. I do need birthday cake... :praise:

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

The aftermath that is my front "yard"

The new snow is up to my knees. That is roughly 16" of new snow. There were 3 foot drifts in the parking lot at work when I left.

The bottom picture is the 360 view from the path I dug out.

adlersnow 0111.png

adlersnow 013.png

adlersnow 012.png

adlersnow 011.png

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

Some scale

adlersnow 008.png

adlersnow 006.png

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Snow? What is this snow of which you speak? I recall hearing vague report of such a wonder, long ago, but I doubt its existence. Those photos simply cannot be real. Photoshopped. Mythical. ;))

(We are bone dry here, have been pretty much all winter, and it's going to be 73 tomorrow.)

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock

Holy crap, you east coasters are getting slammed!!! Here in Michigan, it seems like we've barely gotten ANY!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

davi_el_mejor|1296129603|2834466 said:
Some scale

Wow, davi, that shot is amazing!!! I'm not sure if we have the same amount. Last night when I saw how much had come down in one snowfall-maybe I mean one snowfall of about 3 to 4 hours-I was in awe. But I haven't been outside yet. My father (age 90) has. (And Griffin ran away while my father was opening the gate! As I got dressed to go hunt him down [thank goodness we are in a quiet neighborhood made positively motionless by the snow], he returned home on his own.)

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

davi-I think you are in New Haven County? (Unlike some states, Connecticut doesn't put a lot of stress on what county one is in!) I am asking because our local newspaper gave the totals for snowfall in some of the towns in Fairfield County, Connecticut. For anyone who is interested, this is what the newspaper reported.

HOW MUCH SNOW HAS FALLEN?

Up to 17 inches of snow is on the ground throughout Southwestern Connecticut. In Norwalk, the National Weather Service reports 17 inches of snow, 15 inches reported in Milford, there are 14.5 inches reported in NEw Canaan, 13 inches in Danbury, 13 inches in Shelton and 12.5 in Darien. There has already been a state record amount of snowfall this month, with 47.8 inches of snow, topping the previous record of 45.3

The previous record was apparently set in 1945.

Deb/AGBF

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

I'm in New Haven proper Deb. I think the official total is 18" for the city. I definitely have 2 feet in my yard though.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock

NYC schools closed today :appl: ..this is rarely done. We got 19 inches in Manhattan. I'm done with the snow.
I live in Manhattan not FARGO :nono: I WANT SPRING

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

atroop711|1296140223|2834544 said:
NYC schools closed today :appl: ..this is rarely done. We got 19 inches in Manhattan. I'm done with the snow.
I live in Manhattan not FARGO :nono: I WANT SPRING

LMAO!!!

I just want my streets plowed :(

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock

I took D to the commuter rail around 8 this morning. I managed to get stuck in our driveway on the way home. And we have 4-wheel-drive. And snow tires! I'm working from home today since our plow guy can't come until after noon and our dog walker can't make it up the driveway without it being plowed.

I took a few pics:

Attachments

• snowday4.BMP
    658.3 KB · Views: 217
  • snowday3.BMP
    947.5 KB · Views: 212
  • snowday2.BMP
    796.3 KB · Views: 215
  • Snowday1.BMP
    846.5 KB · Views: 212

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock

Another 13" for us in western CT! I drive through a neighborhood on the way to work and the snow is piled up at least 3-4' on the sides of the road. I can't even see cars coming at the intersections! It's crazy. I have no idea where they're putting all of it in the cities and towns.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elrohwen|1296144665|2834595 said:
I drive through a neighborhood on the way to work and the snow is piled up at least 3-4' on the sides of the road. I can't even see cars coming at the intersections!

Yes, I was out working on one of the cars in our driveway and I looked up to see what was going on next door. For the first time in my life I couldn't see the driveway right next to ours! A huge pile of snow, perhaps ten feet high, between our driveways completely obscured our views of each other! We're on 1/4 acre parcels here; this is not my home in Virginia with the rolling acres!

Deb

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results