shape
carat
color
clarity

Small, inexpensive, stress-free wedding anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
Our planning is not official, we wont finalize plans till October. We are getting married in Vegas. It looks like at the MGM for simplicity sake. They have a nice chapel, but the real winner was their terrace suite. It is a 2 story suite witht he bedrooms upstairs and a 900 sq ft balcony overlooking the city. We will have around 50 people, and hors duerves champagne and bartender, plus a cake and photographer all for under $10,000. I''m pretty excited. I dont have to hire different vendors or choose linens, it is all included. And it will be vegas without being cheesy and without the minimum $12,000 catering we have downtown chicago.

hearts set

Shiny_Rock
snlee,

Although I''m no officially engaged, my ring is on order from WF and we have already discussed that we

a) are no interested in a long engagement
b) do not want a big expensive wedding
c) we do want charming and meaningful with CLOSE family and friends

I was at dinner on night recently at this VERY quaint historic Inn/restaurant/B&B

I spoke with the hostess who organizes their events about my wishes....she gave me a quote on the spot for a butlered cocktail/horsd''oevre reception (booze too) along with a tent on their boxwood lined brick patio where we could actually be married. we''d be having around 40 people including ourselves.

The quote was VERY reasonble...around $2500 signed sealed delivered.

Not bad.

I think you could do it for less money too. You just have to be creative an open minded.

M

prettyhotmodel

Rough_Rock
Hello I am getting married in 9 days!!!! Just wanted to share my fab inexpensive wedding tips. First inexpensive = time, time ,time. You really need to investigate decide on what exactly you want and then call around to find out where you can get it for the least amount or how to make it for the least!!!! My centerpeices are absolutely gorgeous in the store 79.00 each
I made them for about 17 each!!!! Just found the piece I wanted then found craft books that showed how to do it!!!!!
Catch sales if you are getting married next year, then after newyears grab all of the 2006 engraved glasses etc.... after they are 75% off!!!!!! Lastly negotiate florist& sites they want your business if you tell them you can''t afford the price and what your budget is they will usually accomodate!!!! My wedding is costing 4200 for 85 people. We are getting married at a Victorian Bed and Breakfast site with and outside garden and gazeebo and beautiful victorian reception hall with open glass floor to ceiling panes and vaulted ceilings etc..... The menu is a wonderful 5 course buffet with hores d vours!!! Oh the site also has 5 beautiful fountains and a bridge over water that carries a horse and carriage, cobblestone path to gazeebo etc... Because of the deal I got on the site and catering combined I had extra for my dress!!!!! and honeymoon. We also are bringing our own champagne to the site. Good luck to all you brides to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
I just tried to due a "small, inexpensive wedding" without doing a destination wedding.

A friend of mine did. He had it in a old restuarant in Savannah. The ceremony was in a sitting room and the reception was in a private room. 17 people. No videographer, a friend was the photographer. No major flower decorations. Simple dress.

As for me, I wasn''t able to duplicate that. Things do tend to mushroom. "Well if you invite so-and-so, then you might have invite this one." The budget percentage guidelines are only really valid for a average wedding. If you get a professional photographer, want them to be there for the whole wedding, and want an album: think $2000. The cheaper rates mean that they are only there for 4 hours. Flowers add up quickly. It''s a lot of $12+12+12, etc for everyone and their mother. Music is about $600-750. A videographer we got for about $1200. Well if you are going to do some sort of bridal bouqet preservation, plan on another $250-1000. Now they have a "groom''s cake". That''s just a marketing invention to get you to buy two cakes instead of one (neither of which you have time to eat). There are so many We tried to be inexpensive as well.

It is never stress-free either. I hoped it could be too but its not. You have to research several reception sites, evaluate the costs of them, visit the top candidates, and then pick one. Then you essentially repeat that process for all the major vendors. There''s meetings and followup meetings. Probably you''ll have marriage class if you are getting married in a church. There are little things to consider, like bridal party gifts, and wedding favours. All this stuff takes time after work or on the weekends. Then the family comes into town for the wedding. So you have to make sure all the factions about the wedding are happy: your parents, in-laws, friends, family on dad''s side, family on mom''s side, bridal party. Did you thank so-and-so? Did you spend enough time with so-and-so?... and we only had 57 at our reception! I couldn''t imagine 150+. The reception flies by very quickly.

Advice for the honeymoon: short direct flight. After being run around ragged the week of your wedding, it was heavensent to be at our destination in 3 hours on a direct flight.

But congrats! I''m just glad to be settling down finally. (I just got hitched on the 3rd of September).

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
has anyone here had their wedding not on a friday or saturday?? to save money? ( -- or is it tacky)

begin ing

Rough_Rock
we are in the middle of planning our wedding for Thursday afternoon on October 27, 2005. taking a day off from work.
There will only be his son (6), my daughter(8), JP, photographer, and us. six people total. JP does his/her thing. get family photos done. have dinner in the restaurant where we had our very first date and call it a night. everyone go back to school/work the next day
emteeth.gif

Trying to keep it under @$1500

kids outfits - they both have ''dress up'' cloth
his outfit - black suit
my outfit - still looking but budget under $200 + shoes under $100
bouquet - will get it from local grocery store and lace it myself so maybe $12.99/dozen get 3?
flower - naturally grows in the butterfly exhibition center
facility: butterfly exhibition center in the natural science museum here in Houston. the tickets will cost about $40 all together to get in.
JP - don''t know how much it will cost (maybe $100?)
photographer: don''t know how much it will cost (maybe $500?)

why so cheap on wedding
becuase we are also planning our family vacation (honeymoon) - Angelfire, New Mexico - from x-mas thru new years - it''s going to be great!

oh, we are sending out - vacation information to our family and friends so if they care to plan vacation for x-mas break they could consider joining us.
9.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2005 3:16:04 PM
Author: begin ing
we are in the middle of planning our wedding for Thursday afternoon on October 27, 2005. taking a day off from work.

There will only be his son (6), my daughter(8), JP, photographer, and us. six people total. JP does his/her thing. get family photos done. have dinner in the restaurant where we had our very first date and call it a night. everyone go back to school/work the next day
emteeth.gif

Trying to keep it under @$1500

kids outfits - they both have ''dress up'' cloth

his outfit - black suit

my outfit - still looking but budget under $200 + shoes under $100

bouquet - will get it from local grocery store and lace it myself so maybe $12.99/dozen get 3?

flower - naturally grows in the butterfly exhibition center

facility: butterfly exhibition center in the natural science museum here in Houston. the tickets will cost about $40 all together to get in.

JP - don''t know how much it will cost (maybe $100?)

photographer: don''t know how much it will cost (maybe $500?)

why so cheap on wedding

becuase we are also planning our family vacation (honeymoon) - Angelfire, New Mexico - from x-mas thru new years - it''s going to be great!

oh, we are sending out - vacation information to our family and friends so if they care to plan vacation for x-mas break they could consider joining us.
9.gif

interesting!!! i love your vacation invitation idea! i was also considering a thursday wedding- but taking off of work friday too..

Rube

Shiny_Rock
We had a Sunday morning wedding followed by a late lunch. It was less expensive, stress-free (honest!) and very special. No one thought it was tacky. Total, about 35 people attended. Two friends took pictures, we splurged on the location and the flowers, and I think including my dress, alterations, dad and fiance''s suits, flowers, minister, food, drinks, invitations, etc. we spent less than $3000.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
We are having a very small destination wedding in November. Whether or not this is actuially a destination wedding is debatable - my FI is from San Francisco and that''s where we will be wed. Let me tell you, this thing is so low key that everyone else is more concerned about the details than we are. We were going to get married on October of 2006, but decided to take advantage of our Thanksgiving visit to San Francisco instead to avoid a lot of political problems with my family. We only decided to do this 3 weeks ago, and given the short notice, we are not even mentioning that we will be married at that time to my family.

We will be married this Thanksgiving day by my FI''s father, who will be solemnized for the day, in his sister''s home. There will be 22 people, including us and 5 children. We will be making Thanksgiving dinner together, buying a case of California sparkling wine, and supplying a basic bar (red wine, white wine, a selection of spirirts and soft drinks). We estimate the cost of this whole effot to be about $750 - and that''s really going over the top. We are ordering 2 fancy cakes from a local bakery (~$60). I will be baking some pies the day before, and P''s favourite cookies. In memory of my mother, there will be a small bunch of lilies of the valley ($85) for the table. I am knitting a lightweight, form-fitting sweater, and will make a skirt out of a stash of silk I brought back from Thailand about 4 years ago.. FI will get some new clothes as well, but not a suit. We''ll get haircuts/trims the week before we leave for San Francisco. No other salon visits will be required. Family members will be taking candid photos and a few posed ones. We''ll play CD''s and watch football. We''ll greet our guests as they come to the door. We will offer cocktails and something to nibble on before the short, civil ceremony. It will be a sweet and simple day, just like our regular day-to-day life.

In late January or early February we will host a Sunday afternoon open house at the restaurant where we first met. We are not even mentioning on the invitation that we are married so that people do not bring gift - just that we are having a party and have an announcement. Most people will probably guess though. My family will be invited and our friends. The restaurant is a very casual, and inexpensive place, a true neighborhood treasure. We anticipate 40 people will attend at $30/person, including drinks. The owner of the restaurant will allow us to bring in a dozen bottles of sparkling wine, and our own cake. We bought paper and envelopes for this event for $60.

One of our largest expenses will be the wedding rings. Having said that, my magnificently talented benchman has left his place of employment and can make the rings for $1000 less than the store he worked at. Lucky for us!

All of this is way bigger than any wedding I ever dreamed of. My biggest plans involved a trip to city hall, simple wedding bands, and a dinner at a fancy restaurant.

Initially we were going to do something much bigger and fancier, but decided that really was not a great way to spend our money. We still wanted to celebrate, afterall, it''s not every day that you get married. We think we are getting all of that with this plan where a wonderful and meaningful celebration can still be had, without going to great expense.

begin ing

Rough_Rock

Change of plans! We are now getting married on Wednesday 10/26 so the kids don’t have to miss school. Instead dinning at the restaurant we first meet, he made reservation at a place we wouldn’t normally go at downtown Houston. I wasn’t going to worry about the flower but now I am totally in love with orchids so the ‘theme’ took a change.

He is wearing his charcoal gray suit ($0)
Purchased a new white shirt ($40) and 2 gray ties ($75) for him and his son
My daughter is wearing her pretty formal white dress ($0)
Purchased a steel gray, 3 layers tea length dress for me ($138)
We all have shoes they only need to be polish/clean up ($50)
We will be making - 2 Orchid corsages for the guys, Orchid bouquet for me, Orchid head band for my little girl ($100)
Getting my make up and hair done ($80)
Justice of Peace ($175)
6 Tickets for the Butterfly Center @ the Houston Museum of Natural Science ($18)
Photographer ($350)
Dinner for four ($250)

So far totaling $1276

Because we aren’t inviting anyone – I have to plan this by myself so I won’t be ‘leaking’ any information to any friends or family.

Gals… Please help me look over the list

Did I miss anything?? We budget for $1500 therefore we still have a good ‘cushion’ if anything is missing…

Oh – I am so lost…nerves

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/14/2005 2:38:26 PM
Author: jcrow
has anyone here had their wedding not on a friday or saturday?? to save money? ( -- or is it tacky)

It may be Tacky, but we''re having our destination wedding on a Monday.
We figured that if people were going to travel to an island, they''d stay for more than just a weekend anyhow.
I have a friend who had hers on a Sunday. They probably saved a bunch of money on alcohol, because who wants to go to work Monday with a hangover? he he.

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/12/2005 8:20:34 PM

Change of plans! We are now getting married on Wednesday 10/26 so the kids don’t have to miss school. Instead dinning at the restaurant we first meet, he made reservation at a place we wouldn’t normally go at downtown Houston. I wasn’t going to worry about the flower but now I am totally in love with orchids so the ‘theme’ took a change.

He is wearing his charcoal gray suit ($0)

Purchased a new white shirt ($40) and 2 gray ties ($75) for him and his son

My daughter is wearing her pretty formal white dress ($0)

Purchased a steel gray, 3 layers tea length dress for me ($138)

We all have shoes they only need to be polish/clean up ($50)

We will be making - 2 Orchid corsages for the guys, Orchid bouquet for me, Orchid head band for my little girl ($100)

Getting my make up and hair done ($80)

Justice of Peace ($175)

6 Tickets for the Butterfly Center @ the Houston Museum of Natural Science ($18)

Photographer ($350)

Dinner for four ($250)

So far totaling $1276

Because we aren’t inviting anyone – I have to plan this by myself so I won’t be ‘leaking’ any information to any friends or family.

Gals… Please help me look over the list

Did I miss anything?? We budget for $1500 therefore we still have a good ‘cushion’ if anything is missing…

Oh – I am so lost…nerves

Oh this is wonderful! If I were you, and there still is a cushion, you should throw in a massage for yourself so you''ll be good and relaxed, good luck! I hope your day is fabulous!!!
36.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
We did it for about $60/guest, 100 guests.

*Friday and Sunday weddings are cheaper than Saturday. Weekday weddings are cheaper still.
*Photographer - new to wedding photography so cheap, but amazing pictures, also offered a Friday wedding discount.
*Food - mostly vegetarian hors d''oeuvres saved lots of cash (I''m vegetarian, that''s why the food was too)
*Alcohol - open bar, but we restricted it to 3 wines, sparking pink catawba juice, and soda pop. Expensive, but not like a full open bar would have been.
*Cake - small, only 3 tiers, and we still have leftovers!
*Tuxes - we got 2 free tuxes from the rental place (rent 4 get 5th rental free)
I got my veil half off from the bridal store. The shop also offered 20% off invitations for brides who buy their gown from them. Simple invitations
*Florist - we told her what we needed, how much we could spend, and what colors to work with. She did an amazing job!! Helps that she''s good friends with J''s dad and stepmom!
*Church - we kept the ceremony simple and had it in a smaller sanctuary, so the price was less (didn''t have to pay for a light technician, for example)
*Music - J''s BIL plays cello, so he played for us. All other music was DIY, including our reception! We rented sound equipment and J''s bro put together a playlist that was "grandparent approved"
28.gif
while the best man played MC - saved us $300 off the cheapest DJ in town!
*BM dresses - my sister basically chose the whole ensemble and they ordered the dresses from www.netbride.com, and I got their gifts from ebay (garnet pendants) and made either a beaded bracelet or dangly earrings (2 don''t wear earrings, 2 can). We got a huge discount at Things Remembered for the personalized keychain gifts for the boys and personalized frames for our 4 sets of parents.
*Didn''t have child attendants. We wanted to, but the families couldn''t make it and it ended up saving us a little cash.
*Centerpieces - reused the BM bouquets and bought picture frames and some of our engagement shots.
*Something Borrowed... Something Old - Yes it''s a cliche and superstitious, but it''ll save you money! Try to borrow, reuse, etc everything you can!! Find your mom''s veil and wear it! Borrow grandma''s jewelry! Use an unburned pillar candle you already have as your unity candle. etc etc etc

So, for not a lot of money, we were able to put together a "classy" "elegant" "gorgeous" "fun" "great" (Quotes from friends) wedding, just by being creative and searching around for deals.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Begin Ing - Do you have witnesses to sign the marriage license????? They have to be of legal age, and you probably need 2 of them.

begin ing

Rough_Rock
Tybee - great idea! massage hehe - wonder how he would feel about it

JCJD - Thank you for the reminder. I total forgot so I called the Judge''s office today. they said in Texas we don''t need witnesses...

oh.. and the ''something borrow, something old and something blue''... where did that come from. When I fience told me I laugh for hours but found out the 2nd day it was TRUE...many people do it!
so I borrowed my mother''s pearl necklace and my old dress shoes LOL! haven''t figure out what''s gonna be blue (maybe underwear?)

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2005 4:20:24 PM
Tybee - great idea! massage hehe - wonder how he would feel about it

JCJD - Thank you for the reminder. I total forgot so I called the Judge''s office today. they said in Texas we don''t need witnesses...

oh.. and the ''something borrow, something old and something blue''... where did that come from. When I fience told me I laugh for hours but found out the 2nd day it was TRUE...many people do it!

so I borrowed my mother''s pearl necklace and my old dress shoes LOL! haven''t figure out what''s gonna be blue (maybe underwear?)

don''t forget "...and a six pence in your shoe."

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
[/quote]

don''t forget ''...and a six pence in your shoe.''[/quote]

Okay, now you''re just making things up ! How much is six-pence worth these days anyhow?
19.gif

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/12/2005 11:21:29 PM
Author: JCJD
Begin Ing - Do you have witnesses to sign the marriage license????? They have to be of legal age, and you probably need 2 of them.

I was really surprised to learn when I got married - in England, though - that the witnesses didn''t need to be of legal age, they just need to be old enough to understand the importance of what''s going on. I had assumed that my bridesmaid, who was 15, would not be able to be a witness, but the vicar assured us that 15 was quite old enough. I suppose if someone wanted a child of ten or less, the officiant would have to determine if they were acceptable.

They never seem to have witnesses at Las Vegas weddings on TV, but I don''t know how realistic/legal that is.

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
At Vegas weddings, the chapel usually has witnesses on-hand; often they double as the organist and "bridesmaid" or similar.
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2005 2:38:26 PM
Author: jcrow
Yep......I had a Sunday afternoon wedding. It worked better for a few reasons. The ceremony site was an outdoor rose garden in a public park....and for photography reasons, I wanted a late afternoon wedding. We only had 7 months to plan the wedding, so by the time I called, Saturdays in July were pretty booked up....... but Sundays were fairly open.

Also, we chartered a schooner and did a harbor cruise reception. The schooner charged weekday rates beginning at 5 p.m. on Sundays, so we saved about 25% by going Sunday evening.

For us, it totally worked out much better. It was easier to get the vendors were wanted because the day everyone fights over is Saturday. Oftentimes, you can get better rates on Sundays too....many of our vendors were much more negotiable because it was "found" money for them to get work on a Sunday, too.

Our wedding was small---only 29 people including us! Most of our guests were local, but our few family members were from out of town. It was much less rushed for them, too, since they didn't have to scurry around on Friday night to get here. Most arrived early Saturday, and everyone was with us for our rehearsal dinner Saturday evening. They all took Monday off, so it made for a really nice long weekend.

mistylark

Rough_Rock
We are planning a church wedding and reception at a private lake club for about 150 guests. Our budget is $5,000 not including honeymoon. Cost of wedding is definitely a regional thing, but here are some tips.

Take the time to look around and get what you want. Know what something should cost before you buy.
Go to bridal shows & register to win things, get price quotes from as many vendors as possible, so you know what is normal for your area. If someone you really want to use is running a bridal show special, then book them. But only if you are sure. I went to a show only to book our DJ and got a free hour bc of it - then another free hour bc FH was a GM for the DJ''s friend. So I got 6 hours for $400, instead of 4. Oh and I won a $50 photography certificate to a local place. And we saved an additional $15 per tux bc I registered my name at a certain tux shop.
We are lucky and have free videography & photography, so this has allowed our budget to be smaller.
We joined the club where our reception will be. Dues are $100 per year, and the reception hall is $25 per day plus a cleaning deposit. The membership will also get us discounted alcohol for the wedding.
I am planning on looking at Easter dresses for flower girl dresses.
I found catering here for $7.75 a head. But now we are talking about doing our own food. We get full use of the club''s kitchen & coolers by renting the hall. And can also use the kitchen there anytime the hall isn''t booked.
I got my dress for only $425+tax from a local bridal shop (not David''s!) and it is a new designer line. My BMs are saving 15% on their dresses bc it will be at the same shop. I bought my tiara for $23 there as well.
I am using sea shells as part of my centerpieces bc people will give them to you for free. I have a ton!
Check out www.freecycle.org it is a site where people give away things. I have gotten a pre-lit wedding arch, shells, flowers, candles, bubbles, bells, floral tape, guest book pen, bow maker, pew bows, etc. For free. {you have to offer things before you can receive, but that really helped me get rid of some junk when we moved}
We are not using a limo.
Our RD is going to be at a local pub that is famous for a local dish. We are modifying the menu to list things under $8 per person.
Ask places if they will price-match or price-beat their competition. Be clear on what your budget is and you can do more than you think!
If you thinkg something is expensive, it probably is. Ask for discounts, you might be surprised!
Be unconventional. Look on message boards for ideas.
When doing an internet search for "wedding favors" go to the last page of search results. Those sites have had fewer hits and may be newer; what I have learned is they are cheaper!
Look at www.willowtreelane.com or www.annswedding.com for invites.
Check out www.bagsandbowsonline.com for gift bags. www.orientaltrading.com for favors

Just some thoughts. Hope these help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results