shape
carat
color
clarity

Small fingers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

twinkly

Rough_Rock
Hi,
My finger size is 3.5 (loose fitting). I was wondering how it would look to put a 0.80 ct diamond on a 1.5mm band. In general, I was told that putting a diamond on a thin band would make the diamond look bigger. If I put the diamond on a slightly thicker band (2.5mm) which also raises the diamond higher, would that make the diamond look smaller?
I like the 1.5 mm but I''m worried that it makes the ring look too small.
Thanks.

twinkly

Rough_Rock
Let me clarify my question.
I was told that a thin 1.5 band would make a diamond look bigger. I was also told that if the band was thicker and lifted the diamond up more, it would make the diamond look bigger and more noticable. So which statement is true. Can someone please give their opinion or can an expert tell me which one is better since you've seen it all? Thanks
6.gif
)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can have both thinner and higher if you want. Put the stone on a 1mm or 1.5mm platinum (strong) band with a tulipset 4 prong head and that thing will look huge on your little itty bitty finger!
1.gif
To see a tulipset prong head, look at pictures of my ring over in the Show Me The Ring forum. I did not originally want a high stone, but to set the wed ring flush against e-ring, they had to do this. Now I like it! It's not super high, and it does not bang on things, thank goodness but it does make my stone look bigger than it really is. I have a 2.5mm band on a size 6 finger, I personally love thin bands and wanted 2mm but because we have stones in the setting, the metal would not have been as strong. The other option for a 'higher' look on a thin band is a cathedral setting, these can be amazing with bead set/pave diamonds set into the thin shoulders leading up to the stone itself. Very antique.

Because you want a thinner band, be sure to have it checked every 6 months for any bending or warping..also have them check the prongs on the stone when you go in. Some people nowadays think that 1mm or 1.5mm is too thin for a band, but that is how they did it in the early 1900s for alot of rings and they are still around today sold as antiques, so platinum must be doing something right!
1.gif

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Those are small fingers! I can tell your not from the Midwest
1.gif

andrea

Shiny_Rock
Trying to start an estrogen war for those of us who do live in the midwest
9.gif

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
1.gif
oops bad comment
2.gif
My wife has small fingers , but really the majority of the women have larger fingers in this area
1.gif

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
That reminds me of when my kids were growing up and I had them at the
Brookfield zoo in Chicago. You know how the kids ask a question and you being
the know it all parents that they look up to , you have to have an answer. Well my
kids ask me "Dad , why do gorillas have big fingers ?" I said " Son, that's because
they have big noses" !
1.gif

twinkly

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help. So can I generalize that the width of the band doesn't make a big difference in making the diamond look bigger or smaller and that it is more of a personal preference?

By the way Mara, your ring is gorgeous!!

As for my fingers, they are small, but I have long fingers and I worry that a thin band will look funny.

wink2.gif

andrea

Shiny_Rock
Nice parent to kid answer, Ice.
It's amazing the answers a parent comes up with when it's an odd, or embarrassing question.
As far as the thinner band on a small finger, and if you say your's are long to boot, a thicker band may look better. My opinion.
Have you gone out to jewelry stores to try on differnt styles of bands to see how they look?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
A thinner band will make the diamond look bigger IMO. But true..if you have longer fingers...you may want to go thicker. Try some bands on in a store...thin, medium, thicker..etc. My ring may have looked better at 3mm because I have long fingers as well, but I don't like thick rings so I didn't really care about how it would look better, but just went straight for my personal preference regardless. I have tried on friends thicker bands and they look nice on my hand, but its just not what I liked from the very beginning. I always wanted a thin 2mm band. You may start to notice a trend of personal preference as you try things on. But if you are strictly going for enhancing the stone size, a thin band is my suggestion as a best bet. Also a higher head setting!
1.gif

Thanks for the compliment on my ring..it's a cutie.
1.gif
Good luck!

twinkly

Rough_Rock
Thanks all,
I think I'm going to go with the thinner band just because my hands are small (my fingers aren't extremely long). The hard part of trying on rings at the store is that they are too big in ring size for me so they all look hideous on me, especially the thick bands, so I can never tell what looks good. Thanks again!

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
wow, twinkly!

i thought my fingers were small!

i wear a 4.5 - comfy (loose fit in colder weather)

my fingers are on the long side of medium(if that makes any sense) & i have a 2.5mm gold band(smooth, traditional with four-prong platinum head) e-ring that i wear on the same finger with my antique wedding band which is also about 2.5 mm. i really like the effect.

the thin band style sounds great too! i agree, trying on rings in stores can be a bummer...

one good thing about having elf hands - Mara is right about tiny fingers making the most of the stone size!
1.gif

twinkly

Rough_Rock
I think small hands are a pain especially when your knuckles are not as small.
I fit into a size 3 but because of my knuckles and when I expand in the summer, I'm going with a 3.5.
Thank you all for the help.
I have one more question. If I get a thin band, the shank (from inside out) is also very thin, like half or even less in thickness of the band width.
Will it look funny if I ask to get the shank from inside out thickened?
Am I confusing anyone here?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results