shape
carat
color
clarity

Slightly different sized diamonds for solitaire earrings?

Peegee

Rough_Rock
I purchased a diamond online to try to match one I currently have in hopes of having solitaire earrings made. It was a great price and came with appraisal. After receiving it though I see that there is a slight visible difference in size and quality. Do you think it will matter since I’ll be wearing each in different ears? Will the difference be more or less noticeable once set? Wondering if I should return it or not. I’m on a budget and like I said it was a great price. They are both 1/3 carat but there is about a .2 mm difference in measurement I believe. 68E9F855-D082-4AC1-9B34-D6267FCA4228.jpeg

Reactions: AV_

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they were a great deal ... try putting a potted house plant on a table. Lay one of these stones on one side of the pot and another on the other side of the pot. Back up to a polite “human buffer” distance. And casually look at the plant (representing the head of the wearer) and look at each “earring”. See if it bothers you.

You could have them set in bezels where the bezel is made slightly thicker on the smaller stone to even out the visual size.

Peegee

Rough_Rock
If they were a great deal ... try putting a potted house plant on a table. Lay one of these stones on one side of the pot and another on the other side of the pot. Back up to a polite “human buffer” distance. And casually look at the plant (representing the head of the wearer) and look at each “earring”. See if it bothers you.

You could have them set in bezels where the bezel is made slightly thicker on the smaller stone to even out the visual size.

That’s a great idea, thank you!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My bezel set studs are different sizes, one’s a .32 and the other is .36, I don’t think anyone notices.

Peegee

Rough_Rock
My bezel set studs are different sizes, one’s a .32 and the other is .36, I don’t think anyone notices.

That’s great to hear! I guess the bezel setting helps, I was hoping for a 3 or 4 prong setting, but that may not be my best option. Do you have any photos of your earrings?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it will be just fine. Your head is in between the earrings and no one is going to be examining as closely as you will. You could always bezel them in the future and help minimize the difference but I honestly think it will look great without any intervention. Based on the price and budget I think you should keep them. As long as you don't think it will become a "mind clean" issue.

Peegee

Rough_Rock
I think it will be just fine. Your head is in between the earrings and no one is going to be examining as closely as you will. You could always bezel them in the future and help minimize the difference but I honestly think it will look great without any intervention. Based on the price and budget I think you should keep them. As long as you don't think it will become a "mind clean" issue.

Thank you. I think I’m just the type of person that obsesses about little details but over time I get used to things.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s probably fine, especially if you got a good deal on the diamond.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i really like @ringo865 's idea of using the pot plant
and each side of our face looks different i beleave.
i really like a bezel setting idea if the size still bothers you
but no matter what you do i bet they look great.
can't wait to see them

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really don’t think it will be a noticeable difference on your ears. i would set them any way you like...Most people will just notice the sparkle! Congratulations on your great buy!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are your ears exactly the same size to within 0.2mm?
Are your ears at exactly the same height relative to your eyes to within 0.2mm?

:lol-2: :lol-2::lol-2:

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a 3 stone ER, and the two sides are different, one is .9 the other is .8, & for the life of me, I can't figure out which is which. IMHO, I really think you will be safe with your stones. Enjoy them!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DA9957BD-AEF6-431B-BBFD-4F5B34087A20.jpeg

Sorry it’s not a good photo, but it’s difficult to hold an iPad with one hand to take a picture :mrgreen:

Peegee

Rough_Rock
DA9957BD-AEF6-431B-BBFD-4F5B34087A20.jpeg

Sorry it’s not a good photo, but it’s difficult to hold an iPad with one hand to take a picture :mrgreen:

They look lovely, I don’t see a difference. Thank you so much for sharing. Also that ring!!! :kiss2:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Bezels will work just so.

I am guessing from the picture that they are slightly different types of brilliant cut, nice to have as a pair.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I purchased a diamond online to try to match one I currently have in hopes of having solitaire earrings made. It was a great price and came with appraisal. After receiving it though I see that there is a slight visible difference in size and quality. Do you think it will matter since I’ll be wearing each in different ears? Will the difference be more or less noticeable once set? Wondering if I should return it or not. I’m on a budget and like I said it was a great price. They are both 1/3 carat but there is about a .2 mm difference in measurement I believe. 68E9F855-D082-4AC1-9B34-D6267FCA4228.jpeg

Is one an OEC and the other an MRB? They don’t look like the same cuts at all.

Peegee

Rough_Rock
Is one an OEC and the other an MRB? They don’t look like the same cuts at all.

I don’t think it’s an OEC, I know the cut isn’t great on it, it doesn’t sparkle as much as the other one. Here’s another photo. How do I flip photos btw? 7F2621A2-ECF0-4FF6-BC9A-FCCDE6B97E28.jpeg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm. Can’t see much in that photo. But I will say I don’t much see the point of diamonds that don’t sparkle.

Peegee

Rough_Rock
Hmmm. Can’t see much in that photo. But I will say I don’t much see the point of diamonds that don’t sparkle.

It’s not the best quality but it still has some sparkle...and I’m poor. *shrug*

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results