shape
carat
color
clarity

Sleeve Alteration! I need an opinion!!!

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
My dress just came in and since the whole top is lace, it just happened to be cut like more of a capped sleeve, and not like a flutter sleeve that the sample. I'm not angry, not at all, I know it's no one's fault because it's lace. Just wondering if I can alter it to make it look like the sample's sleeve more? does it look bad? I never really wanted a sleeve to begin with and mine coming in cut like that makes me a bit uneasy. I live in a different state, so I have to wait for the end for the month when I visit home to take it anywhere. My mom is a real good down home mama seamstress, and she's going to look at to see if there's anything she can easily figure out since we took it home to my parents' house.

What do you guys think? Does anyone know if I would be able to alter it? If I can't alter them, do the sleeves look bad?

This was the sample with the sleeves I likes more:

Another view of the sample dress with the sleeves I liked

Side view of my cap sleeve dress:

Close up of my dress' cap sleeves

IMG00019-20101030-1432.jpeg

2011-02-26 13.23.35.jpeg

IMAG0104.jpeg

IMG00027-20110226-1326.jpeg

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
More views of the capped sleeve on my dress

2011-02-26 13.14.47.jpeg

2011-02-26 13.20.22.jpeg

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
I see the difference you are talking about. I can't speak in terms of if it can be altered, but to answer your other question...I think the "sleeves" look REALLY pretty!! The whole dress looks great on you. I like the "sleeves".

ETA: It almost looks like the sample was torn (not literally, but...it's not attached) at the sleeve to make it stick out like that, while yours is pinned down.

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
Was the sample a bigger size? That may account for it... or just it releasing a little bit from being tried on so many times. However I like the look of your dress better! Much more refined. Looks outstanding on you!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Well...I see the difference and I think that the first sleeves make more a fashion statement. It's something a little different. That said, I think I like the cap sleeves better...I love the whole dress on you!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yeah, I also think I prefer the cap sleeves. That dress is gorgeous on you!!! It's possible that the sleeves on the sample were 'stretched out'? Maybe ask the seamstress about changing it if it bothers you?

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I actually like the way the sleeves look on your dress better than the sample. It looks really nice on you!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I know zero about alterations, but I want you to know - that dress is G.O.R.G.E.O.U.S on you. And I love the sleeves the way they are!

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
Thank you guys!!! I feel a lot better knowing yall actually like the sleeves the way they are. I guess I'm just worried about it being a little 90's or something--when i think of cap sleeves on a wedding dress I think 90's for some reason. Maybe I'll just keep it the way it is if everyone likes it like that, I'm completely open to the fact I could be crazy right now.

What is everyone's opinion on taking a little lace of the edge to shorten the sleeves? Or do you guys think that it's better the way it is?

The sample was the same size, my assumption is that they sewed big pieces of lace to the shoulder hem, and them cut out the sleeve according the pattern of the lace. I have no idea. Pretty sure all of these dresses are made in China anyway

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
More photos of my dress (cap sleeve). I think what it is is that I liked the softness of the sleeves on the sample. Do the cap sleeves look harsh at all to you guys?

back view

with my 93 year old grandmother =)

another side view

I forgot, too, that apparently I was the first person to try on the sample so it shouldn't have been stretched out. but of course, that's just what they told me so who really knows.

2011-02-26 13.12.34.jpeg

2011-02-26 13.18.24.jpeg

IMG00022-20110226-1312.jpeg

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
chicnhed|1299781291|2868901 said:
More photos of my dress (cap sleeve). I think what it is is that I liked the softness of the sleeves on the sample. Do the cap sleeves look harsh at all to you guys?

back view

with my 93 year old grandmother =)

another side view

I forgot, too, that apparently I was the first person to try on the sample so it shouldn't have been stretched out. but of course, that's just what they told me so who really knows.

I think your dress looks very feminine and soft. I think if you took any off of it...it would look like a wide strap instead. :???: I think you should keep it that way. Honestly...it looks SOOOOO good on you AS IS!

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
Maybe I'm crazy, but I like yours much better!

What a beautiful dress!

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
i LOVE your dress the way it is! It looks AH-MAZING on you! Who makes the dress if you don't mind me asking?

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
lovebug1031|1299791636|2869045 said:
i LOVE your dress the way it is! It looks AH-MAZING on you! Who makes the dress if you don't mind me asking?
Thank you thank you! Not at all. It's Allure 8764. :D

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
rhbgirl24|1299773459|2868825 said:
Was the sample a bigger size? That may account for it... or just it releasing a little bit from being tried on so many times. However I like the look of your dress better! Much more refined. Looks outstanding on you!

I'm with rhbgirl- I think your sleeves look elegant and refined. GORGEOUS :love: I genuinely wouldn't mess with them because (like BBO said) they might end up looking like wide straps. Love it just the way it is on you! What a beautiful bride you are :appl:

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I know this dress well, we carry it and I've always loved it!

The sample actually appears to have some sort of flaw in it... It's hard to tell with the pictures. The gown is SUPPOSED to look the way yours does on you.

Your dress looks fab on you, I wouldn't worry about it!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Was the top of the back buttoned all of the way when you were trying on? If it were just held closed by one button (especially the very top one) it would account for the extra material on the sample that is not present on yours.

chicnhed

Shiny_Rock
Thanks ladies! All of this encouragement is making me feel a lot better about the situation! Perhaps a lot of my uncertainty is that I never imagined having a wedding dress with anything more than straps. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

OUpeargirl - We did start out at first with it slightly buttoned, but by the close up photo im 85% sure we went ahead and buttoned the whole thing. That's interesting if it had a flaw!! I noticed that it was different from the dress in the model photo, but I wrote it off to the character of the lace.

Laughinggravy0

Shiny_Rock
I love the sleeves on your own dress much more than on the shop example. I think the fact that the leaves make a lovely shape over your upper arm looks much cooler that that flappy effect - much more svelte. You look super. And thin straps or strapless are everywhere so it is really nice to see something a little more original :appl:

vsc

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the above posters - your dress's sleeves look much better than those of the sample. It looks like the sample was damaged somehow, at least in the pictures... I love the lace! The details are gorgeous and the whole dress is great!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I vote to keep the sleeves, they looks awesome!!!! Plus, I think it ties in perfectly with that kind of back. Looks beautiful on you :)

Acrossley

Rough_Rock
I agree - lovely dress! And you wear it SO well! Cap sleeves are very much "in" right now .... Not 90s at all!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I love your dress and the detail on the straps/sleeves. It looks gorgeous on you and I much prefer the look of pretty lace around the shoulders to a very bare strappy look. I bet your gramma does too!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Love the gown the way it is. Those cap sleeves are fabulous! Glad you're feeling better about it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a gorgeous dress - and you look so beautiful in it! It's such a feminine and delicate and soft dress - the cap sleeves, with less flutter, are just perfect IMO :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results