shape
carat
color
clarity

Sleeping Beauty - I CANNOT believe some Peeps!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
So.......................

I was doing a client tonight - and she started yawning and then looked at me and said:

"Can you pass me this towel so I can put my head down and rest while you are doing my nails".

It was not even a Question, but mostly an order! I was soooooooooooooooooo baffled, and surprised that
someone would actually do something like that, that I was left there speechless with a most probable stunned and paralyzed look on my face!!!!

Well, she took a nap while I was doing GELS on her, try to handle a dead body's hand and put them into a
lamp without wrecking anything?! She got nice gels on the left side, but on the right side, she got acrylics!
I am not going to bust my butt in 1/2 to do all I can so she can rest while I am working!

And she didn't even tip me!
38.gif
38.gif
38.gif

I think I am going to go for a walk, I am pretty upset and still fuming inside. This shows a tremendous lack
of respect toward me and my time ( I only do nails in the evenings )...

I snapped this picture while she was snoring!

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
I do think it''s pretty rude for someone to do that (and especially for her to not even tip you), but maybe if you try to give her the benefit of the doubt it might help you not be so angry. I know that doing that sometimes helps me get over being so upset at people. Maybe she''s taking care of a sick relative at home and it has been tiring her out? Maybe she''s ill herself? Maybe she''s going through some sort of medical treatment that causes fatigue? From your perspective it might seem like she is being rude, but there could be a whole other side to the story and explanation for what she did.

I''m sure it''s very frustrating when someone acts like that when you''re trying to do your job, so I''m sorry you had to deal with it. Hopefully you won''t have another customer who does that, and hopefully she gets through whatever it is that is making her so exhausted.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry you didn''t get a tip, that really stinks. And pretty much *ordering* you to hand over the towel was of course rude, too... but...

maybe she had a headache? I get terrible migraines and there have been times when putting my head down is the only thing that saves my sanity. I usually cancel appointments when I am sick with a headache, but if there is a reason I really can''t... well, all I''m sayin'' is maybe the poor lady had a good excuse.

Or maybe not!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I dunno. I think it''s way worse that you put acrylics on one hand and gels on the other! She came in to get gels put on and you are supposed to put them on her. I can totally understand that she got a little snoozy as I have totally closed my eyes and nodded off a little (She was a little excessive). While I can understand you having your feathers ruffled, I don''t think that''s an excuse to do what you did.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry not seeing the problem in her actions. Plenty of problems with your actions and your attitude. A) Tips are not required... maybe she wasn't impressed by you since you screwed up her nails. As for napping... it's not rocket science, you were doing her nails. You are in a service industry and you sound entitled frankly, for no good reason. It's her money... so she wants to sleep while you do her nails. SHE'S not the one working.
20.gif
Plus, how dare you punish her by screwing up her nails. I wouldn't have tipped you either. Time to get off that high horse.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I have to say, that is pretty strange...taking a nap while getting your nails done? Just when I thought I''ve seen it all...I wonder if she''s on medication that makes her tired. She looks like an older woman from the pic, maybe she''s ill? If she ever tries to do this again, I would tell her she needs to re-schedule to a day when she''s feeling better. Sorry about this Amethyste, I find this to be rude and well, weird behavior and don''t blame you for being upset, but maybe there''s a reason behind it.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 10:23:42 PM
Author: heraanderson
I dunno. I think it''s way worse that you put acrylics on one hand and gels on the other! She came in to get gels put on and you are supposed to put them on her. I can totally understand that she got a little snoozy as I have totally closed my eyes and nodded off a little (She was a little excessive). While I can understand you having your feathers ruffled, I don''t think that''s an excuse to do what you did.

Well, excuse me! ... Try to go gels on someone that has limp fingers trying to work backwards to put the hand in the machine without touching anything and wreck what you just did? Obviously, you were not offering the service nor know how hard it is to do such meticulous work on a dead hand! Gels and acrylics are in the same family - they are all resin/plastic. Secondly, she polishes her nails - once the gel is cured, I remove the sticky layer and file the nails to shape - when it is at that stage, there is not really a difference between the 2 - especially once they are polished. She has done both in her life. She "usually" do a french so hence the gel route - but has not done that in the last 2-3 months.

It was that way or me telling her that I cannot do the service or spend 2 hours trying to maneuver my way around her state.
I think she got a REALLY good service - considering the weird contortions I had to do to get there.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 10:26:47 PM
Author: Gypsy
Sorry not seeing the problem in her actions. Plenty of problems with your actions and your attitude. A) Tips are not required... maybe she wasn''t impressed by you since you screwed up her nails. As for napping... it''s not rocket science, you were doing her nails. You are in a service industry and you sound entitled frankly, for no good reason. It''s her money... so she wants to sleep while you do her nails. SHE''S not the one working.
20.gif
Plus, how dare you punish her by screwing up her nails. I wouldn''t have tipped you either. Time to get off that high horse.

Wow... You are getting your nails done - you have to be somewhat awake to put your hands in a machine to get cured and move them out and vice versa. Yeah, I am in the service industry, and I am glad to render service but there is a limit though. I didn''t SCREW up her nails - I have been doing her nails for a long time. She got an excellent service, as usual - the nails looked beautiful. I think it is not rocket science to also be awake to get your nails done? How easily a manicure can be wrecked WHILE being awake, think about the nailtech doing her job on someone who is sleeping?

Tips may not be required, but if I was sleeping when someone''s doing my nails and i know how hard the tech had to work while I dozed off, there would certainly be a tip for her extra effort.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
She must have been pretty exhausted to not even wake as you had to contort her hand.

You never know what is going on in someones life. Maybe she has not slept in days, maybe she is ill or on meds, maybe this is the only time she has for herself and likes to nap while she is pampered. I like to close my eyes when I get massages or so on as I find it more relaxing. And I know when my mum was going through chemo there were times she fell asleep mid sentence even if she was standing! You just never know.

Maybe she could of asked in a gentler way, but I would give her the benefit of the doubt here. I don''t think it was anything personal!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Amethyste, I''m sorry you had a tough client tonight. What she did was very weird, and I''m sure it did make your job more difficult. My manicurist is always giving me verbal instructions while she''s doing a manicure, and, duh, I have to be awake to hear them and follow her instructions! I am an instructor at a large university. Some would argue teachers, lawyers, doctors -- basically anyone who works with the public in some way -- are service workers. Clients are typically required to be awake to receive those services -- except maybe surgery when your "client" is under anesthesia!

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Or, maybe Lemony was too blinding for her eyes!?!?

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 10:43:59 PM
Author: Amethyste

Wow... You are getting your nails done - you have to be somewhat awake to put your hands in a machine to get cured and move them out and vice versa. Yeah, I am in the service industry, and I am glad to render service but there is a limit though. I didn''t SCREW up her nails - I have been doing her nails for a long time. She got an excellent service, as usual - the nails looked beautiful. I think it is not rocket science to also be awake to get your nails done? How easily a manicure can be wrecked WHILE being awake, think about the nailtech doing her job on someone who is sleeping?

Tips may not be required, but if I was sleeping when someone''s doing my nails and i know how hard the tech had to work while I dozed off, there would certainly be a tip for her extra effort.

I think you''re right about one thing - it would seem logical to stay awake while getting a manicure to be careful not to ruin it. So imagine *just* how tired she must have been in order to just put her head down and fall asleep like that. Maybe she just started chemo and she wanted to treat herself to a manicure but she suddenly started feeling really ill? Maybe she knew she shouldn''t be going to sleep while getting her nails done, but she felt so sick and exhausted in that moment that she just couldn''t help herself?

You never know what is going on in other peoples'' lives. If anything, I would think some compassion is in order because she must be going through a pretty rough time and she must be pretty exhausted in order to put her head down and fall asleep while getting her nails done. I hope she''s ok.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 10:28:14 PM
Author: junebug17
Wow, I have to say, that is pretty strange...taking a nap while getting your nails done? Just when I thought I''ve seen it all...I wonder if she''s on medication that makes her tired. She looks like an older woman from the pic, maybe she''s ill? If she ever tries to do this again, I would tell her she needs to re-schedule to a day when she''s feeling better. Sorry about this Amethyste, I find this to be rude and well, weird behavior and don''t blame you for being upset, but maybe there''s a reason behind it.

She is retired ( she is in her mid 70''s ) - she has been doing the dozing on and off in the last year of the 6 I have been doing her nails - I understand that she can be tired and or exhausted - but to actually sleep like this, she must know that it is almost impossible for me to do my job. I have accommodated her strange requests for as long as I can remember ( doing nails on my only Sunday off, I work 6 days a week - 2 jobs! )... I could take her dozing as a compliment that she trusts me to do her nails while sleeping - but it is hard to work that way...

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/2/2010 10:36:13 PM

I dunno. I think it's way worse that you put acrylics on one hand and gels on the other! She came in to get gels put on and you are supposed to put them on her. I can totally understand that she got a little snoozy as I have totally closed my eyes and nodded off a little (She was a little excessive). While I can understand you having your feathers ruffled, I don't think that's an excuse to do what you did.

It was that way or me telling her that I cannot do the service or spend 2 hours trying to maneuver my way around her state.

Actually, I think this is exactly what you should have done... let her know why it would be a problem for her to nap during her manicure, and what the alternative would be (i.e., acrylics rather than gels).

She's thinking from her perspective (my participation isn't needed here, I can take a nap) rather than yours. Yes it's rude, but it's also human nature. You can either fill her in or ask her to come back another day.

You are providing a service that's valuable to your clients but you don't need to put up with crap. The problem here is that you did put up with it, but you took it out on the client by changing the level of service instead of just saying "no, that won't work".

If I were to go in to see my dentist and said "I hope you don't mind if I sleep while you're working on my teeth," he would tell me no way, he can't work safely and efficiently if I'm asleep, if you really have to sleep go schedule another appointment. And by the way, you still have to pay for this one. He knows what his time is worth and believe me, he's not shy about letting me know.

You need to take the same -- totally professional -- attitude with your clients.

ETA posting pictures of your clients that were taken without their permission? Not professional.

Hera

Ideal_Rock

I dunno. I think it's way worse that you put acrylics on one hand and gels on the other! She came in to get gels put on and you are supposed to put them on her. I can totally understand that she got a little snoozy as I have totally closed my eyes and nodded off a little (She was a little excessive). While I can understand you having your feathers ruffled, I don't think that's an excuse to do what you did.

Well, excuse me! ... Try to go gels on someone that has limp fingers trying to work backwards to put the hand in the machine without touching anything and wreck what you just did? Obviously, you were not offering the service nor know how hard it is to do such meticulous work on a dead hand! Gels and acrylics are in the same family - they are all resin/plastic. Secondly, she polishes her nails - once the gel is cured, I remove the sticky layer and file the nails to shape - when it is at that stage, there is not really a difference between the 2 - especially once they are polished. She has done both in her life. She 'usually' do a french so hence the gel route - but has not done that in the last 2-3 months.

I think she got a REALLY good service - considering the weird contortions I had to do to get there.
Edited because VRbeauty said exactly what I meant to say in a nicer way.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am sure it was a tough job, so feel for you.

BUT posting her pic?? You have no clue what was going on with her.

I get your venting, but posting her pic crosses the line IMHO.
15.gif

She could be a care giver, and is exhausted, thought she''d get some rest and get her nails done.. You never know...

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 10:50:22 PM
Author: sarap333
Hi, Amethyste, I''m sorry you had a tough client tonight. What she did was very weird, and I''m sure it did make your job more difficult. My manicurist is always giving me verbal instructions while she''s doing a manicure, and, duh, I have to be awake to hear them and follow her instructions! I am an instructor at a large university. Some would argue teachers, lawyers, doctors -- basically anyone who works with the public in some way -- are service workers. Clients are typically required to be awake to receive those services -- except maybe surgery when your ''client'' is under anesthesia!

She has been coming to me for the last 6 years ( so if I did a SCREWY JOB she wouldn''t keep coming back ) and she knows how involving it is do get them done right. I hear you on the "service" workers and how we are seen by others. Yes, being awake and being involved in receiving the service is pretty much expected, especially when it involves your hands.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
Obviously from your statements, this is a regular customer--has she been rude in the past or was this kind of behavior a first for her? If she''s usually a sweetheart and was just not her typical self today, I would assume something else was going on and cut her a break, but if she''s generally heinous, that''s a different story. I have a great deal of sympathy and respect for anyone in ANY service industry job because it''s a pain in the patootie and generally undervalued, but if she''s not a regular PITA, maybe she really was just having a horrendous day or had extenuating circumstances or whatever. Stuff happens, ya know? To be fair though, not giving her what she paid for may have been a little passive aggressive (two second pause to roll my eyes at myself for using an exhausted term that people have too much fun throwing around!)--next time, wake her booty up and say, "You paid for amazing nails, and I can''t give you those if you''re snorin'' on ''em, so wake up and let''s make you faaaabulous!"

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 10:55:28 PM
Author: VRBeauty

Actually, I think this is exactly what you should have done... let her know why it would be a problem for her to nap during her manicure, and what the alternative would be (i.e., acrylics rather than gels).

She's thinking from her perspective (my participation isn't needed here, I can take a nap) rather than yours. Yes it's rude, but it's also human nature. You can either fill her in or ask her to come back another day.

You are providing a service that's valuable to your clients but you don't need to put up with crap. The problem here is that you did put up with it, but you took it out on the client by changing the level of service instead of just saying 'no, that won't work'.

If I were to go in to see my dentist and said 'I hope you don't mind if I sleep while you're working on my teeth,' he would tell me no way, he can't work safely and efficiently if I'm asleep, if you really have to sleep go schedule another appointment. And by the way, you still have to pay for this one. He knows what his time is worth and believe me, he's not shy about letting me know.

You need to take the same -- totally professional -- attitude with your clients.

ETA posting pictures of your clients that were taken without their permission? Not professional.
Very well said, VR.
36.gif

I hope you don't lose a client, Ames. I recommend calling her first thing tomorrow and explaining the situation.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never had a manicure so I don't know the protocol, but I don't think what she did was THAT offensive, maybe just a little unusual.

Also, since you feel so strongly about this you should have immediately said, "I'm sorry but to do my job properly, I need you to stay awake."

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Author: Gypsy
Sorry not seeing the problem in her actions. Plenty of problems with your actions and your attitude. A) Tips are not required... maybe she wasn''t impressed by you since you screwed up her nails. As for napping... it''s not rocket science, you were doing her nails. You are in a service industry and you sound entitled frankly, for no good reason. It''s her money... so she wants to sleep while you do her nails. SHE''S not the one working.
20.gif
Plus, how dare you punish her by screwing up her nails. I wouldn''t have tipped you either. Time to get off that high horse.

I see where you''re coming from, but I don''t agree.

When I go to the doctor''s office, he''s offering me a service and I''m paying him with my money, and I treat him with respect as well. Same as when I attend a lecture for a course I paid for; I respect the professor, even though I paid for the course. I think there''s a certain decorum that comes with coming in for a nail service, and a level of respect as well. I think that''s all the Amethyste was looking for.

It sounds like Amethyste''s job was made harder than it needed to be because this client wanted to sleep. Its easy to mess up painted nails when you''re awake; I''m sure its even easier if you''re asleep. Of course, if the nails had been messed up because she was sleeping, the client would have asked Amethyste to fix them, right? It sounds like an even bigger waste of time than trying to do someone''s nails while they''re asleep.

Amethyste, next time you must tell her that its simply impossible for you to do her nails from such a position/while she''s asleep. Tell her you''d be happy to reschedule if that is what is necessary.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 10:58:09 PM
Author: Kaleigh
I am sure it was a tough job, so feel for you.

BUT posting her pic?? You have no clue what was going on with her.

I get your venting, but posting her pic crosses the line IMHO.
15.gif

She could be a care giver, and is exhausted, thought she''d get some rest and get her nails done.. You never know...

Yes, you really should not post her pic without her permission.

Even if it was frustrating, definitely not professional.

I stick by saying to give her the benefit of the doubt. Even if she does not know herself if something is wrong, it may be. And she is over 70 - she has earned bein able to have some weird behaviours!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
VR''s advice was spot-on. I''d also ask the mods to help remove the picture.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Aren''t acrylics less than gels? Did you charge her less?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Definitely remove the picture. That is just stooping to childish levels by the fact that you even felt the need to TAKE the picture - posting it online is just disrespectful.

As far as the sleeping, you say she''s been dozing off and on for 6 years. If that''s the case, then the moment she asked to nap you should have told her you would prefer she didn''t. Since you decided to just suffer in silence, then you don''t have much room to complain, Ames.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
The blurry picture - seeing hair and a blue hand is really that terrible ( there is no facial features showing )? I didn't say her name or stated where she lives... If the moderator wants to remove the picture, it's fine - but I don't think I am revealing much of the person...

Noodle - Yes, she is demanding and is a difficult person to handle.
She paid for nail enhancements. My gels and acrylics are the same price ( $25 with no repair and $3o with repairs )- She did get fabulous nails in the end. 2 different process, but same results - so I didn't cheated her. I would have cheated her if I continued doing gels and having them all bumpy in the end . I was through working on 4 nails when she decided to fall asleep. As I already started to work on her, and all her nails were free of polish and part sanded down - it was not really possible to stop and tell her to comeback another time - so I used my knowledge to render her service in the best possible way I could at that time.

Rescheduling for her is a hard thing to do - she is very much involved in her home and her activities.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 11:13:18 PM
Author: fiery
Aren''t acrylics less than gels? Did you charge her less?

That''s a good point. I would be pretty ticked off and wouldn''t have tipped you, either.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
AAAARRRGGHH!!! IndyLady, I don''t mean to be fussy, but your signature line makes me nuts because I seriously wind up reading it with the rest of your post EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. For the record, I actually like the sentiment of the quote; I just get on my own nerves reading it with your posts all the time, haha! Anywho, not that anything I just said was relevant in any way. I''m just goofy. Carry on!
9.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 11:14:06 PM
Rescheduling for her is a hard thing to do - she is very much involved in her home and her activities.

I''m sure she would beg to differ about the picture - some people here do know where you live, so despite not showing her face it really is still rude.

And since you say she is very involved in home and activities, then is it so much to assume she was exhausted from such activities? Not your problem, I totally agree with that, but it could have been solved by you simply asking her to stay awake. If she went against your request, you just stop working and let her decide if she wants to leave and return later, or stay awake.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 11:13:58 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
Definitely remove the picture. That is just stooping to childish levels by the fact that you even felt the need to TAKE the picture - posting it online is just disrespectful.

As far as the sleeping, you say she''s been dozing off and on for 6 years. If that''s the case, then the moment she asked to nap you should have told her you would prefer she didn''t. Since you decided to just suffer in silence, then you don''t have much room to complain, Ames.

no I said she has been doing this behavior in the last 1 of the 6 I have been doing her nails.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results