shape
carat
color
clarity

Sleep and cell phones

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a really light sleeper - everything wakes me up.

And once I'm up I usually have a really hard time getting back to sleep.

Last night was one of those nights...

I started researching it, and one thing I ran into is how keeping cell phones by your bed affects your sleep. Something about their emissions affecting your melatonin. :???:

Does anybody not keep their cell phones near them because of this, or have found this to be true for them?

I put mine inside my night table last night, but not sure if that's enough, or if they really need to be in another room altogether...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use mine as an alarm, so it's usually parked on my nightstand. I have issues with sleeping for various reasons, not sure they're exacerbated by having my phone so close. Something worth looking into, though, thanks for posting about it!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not familiar (and not refuting) a cell phone reducing melatonin production naturally if it's not 'in use'; however, I have read a LOT about cell phones, tablets, laptops, etc. screens emitting something (can't recall) that DOES reduce your body's naturally ability to produce melatonin ... but I think it was more that it effects the body's ability to determine 'hey, it's nearing night time ... start winding down and kick up the melatonin production' because the light emitted mimics sunlight, so your brain thinks 'hey, it's still daytime' vs adjusting naturally to it being bedtime.

I went through this whole thing awhile back with several doctors, neuros, etc. because my daughter has a circadium rhythm disorder. We added these apps to our devices that automatically adjust the light exposure (kind of dims) in conjunction with the time to help minimize the effects.

Not sure if that helps or not; just a little 411 based on what I've read/learned. I'm also a light sleeper, and even when my phone is on silent at night (sits in a charging cradle on the nightstand), I will still hear the little, tiny, quiet 'pop' noise of someone tagging me in something on FB, or an email coming through, etc. I've learned to tune it out, but if it's close to when I'd naturally wake up (e.g., 5:30 a.m.-ish), I usually can't go back to sleep. Perhaps I should try moving it across the room. :think:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1474462727|4079177 said:
I'm not familiar (and not refuting) a cell phone reducing melatonin production naturally if it's not 'in use'; however, I have read a LOT about cell phones, tablets, laptops, etc. screens emitting something (can't recall) that DOES reduce your body's naturally ability to produce melatonin ... but I think it was more that it effects the body's ability to determine 'hey, it's nearing night time ... start winding down and kick up the melatonin production' because the light emitted mimics sunlight, so your brain thinks 'hey, it's still daytime' vs adjusting naturally to it being bedtime.

I went through this whole thing awhile back with several doctors, neuros, etc. because my daughter has a circadium rhythm disorder. We added these apps to our devices that automatically adjust the light exposure (kind of dims) in conjunction with the time to help minimize the effects.

Not sure if that helps or not; just a little 411 based on what I've read/learned. I'm also a light sleeper, and even when my phone is on silent at night (sits in a charging cradle on the nightstand), I will still hear the little, tiny, quiet 'pop' noise of someone tagging me in something on FB, or an email coming through, etc. I've learned to tune it out, but if it's close to when I'd naturally wake up (e.g., 5:30 a.m.-ish), I usually can't go back to sleep. Perhaps I should try moving it across the room. :think:

JoCoJenn, yes, I think you're right as far as the melatonin. Something look into more. (when I read about it last night it was in the middle of the night so didn't research thoroughly.)

But yes, in your case, those little sounds, definitely, I'd either put my phone on silent or move it across the room, etc. Nothing worse than not being able to go back to sleep when you still have like 45 minutes or an hour before you have to wake up.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read the newspaper on my phone until I fall asleep and drop the phone on my face. I then put it on charge next to my bed and sleep.

It will wake me up in the morning when its alarm goes off.

DK :))

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so interesting. I can sleep trough anything and like Monarch, I use my phone as an alarm so it's right next to my bed.

My husband however has trouble sleeping several times a week and he has his work and personal cell phone as well as the IPad charging on his nightstand every night. So maybe there is something to this.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color/intensity of light affects your body's melatonin production, that's why the Kindle Fire tablet has that weird red/night mode because that is supposed to help with that (regular Kindle doesn't because it doesn't use the color of light that affects it). I read either on my phone with a black background and minimal contrast, or on my Kindle before I go to sleep.

I've been a bad sleeper since well before cell phones came out. I have gotten better as I've aged, and these devices have only become more ubiquitous.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought it was the blue light, not JUST the cell phone? I totally get it, but it sucks because I usually curl up in bed, check a few things on my phone and then head to bed, but I keep reading to leave the blue light for 2h before bed.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know the scientific data but I would say it is better to get all these devices ie cell phones, ipads, computers out of the bedroom. I would get a regular old fashioned alarm clock and use that as my wake up alarm and keep the phone in another room.

This whole being connected 24/7 (unless you have a reason like an elderly ill parent or a high stress demanding job where you have no choice) is ludicrous to me. Just not healthy and we should allow ourselves to shut off at least some of the time especially when we are supposed to be sleeping.

Having said that I sleep awfully but it isn't because of the devices as I don't keep them in the bedroom.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results