shape
carat
color
clarity

Skippy''s pet calf...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
So Skippy, what''s the story with the pet calf? I know Harriet asked you your pet''s name in another thread...here''s your very own!

What''s the story? SPILL!
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m intrigued too!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nicrez,
Wow, I went to lunch with friends ran errands and then looked here and didn't realize SOOO much happened while I was gone! Look at what happens when a person steps away for a second.

Actually my parents and I lived in the city where I live still and my mom was a teacher and my father a restaurant manager. We didn't have a lot of money one holiday, but my parents always put my sister and I first. One Christmas when I was six I really wanted a Strawberry Short Cake Doll so Christmas day they said there would be no doll but they said they had something better, a cow. My parents are from a small town about 3 hours north of the city and kept cattle as a hobby. They still have the same hobby which brings them great joy! I just remember not being sure if it was good thing or not to get a baby cow. The calf was white so I called him blanco (which is white in Spanish).

I use to love going up to my cousins because they would watch the cows and lived by my parents property so that I could watch the baby being fed a bottle. Then it got big and I would always look for my cow when I went up to their land. I think it is cute to know I had my very own cow. Plus I love that my parents loved me so much to make me feel special with my little cow.
9.gif
12.gif

Also, I had a chicken and a duck too since there was a pond for the duck! LOL.

I loved the story about the gift your mother gave to you; I think it does make something more special when someone puts a lot of effort and thought into a gift.
12.gif
You have a very sweet mother.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy, I thought this story was so sweet, yet I got so sad when I found out what you really wanted. lol But it does make for a good story.
9.gif
2.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 6:49:08 PM
Author: Ellen
Skippy, I thought this story was so sweet, yet I got so sad when I found out what you really wanted. lol But it does make for a good story.
9.gif
2.gif
Really??????? Thank you
12.gif
Actually I love that my parents are so down to earth. My husband couldn't believe they keep 2 houses; one to watch their cows and one in the city. It is what makes them happy, so that makes me happy
9.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
awww sweet story cows are kewl but 6am milking is a pita when its 40 below 0!

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
Awww. Did you ride her?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 6:57:06 PM
Author: oshinbreez
Awww. Did you ride her?
LOL! I don''t think cows will allow you to do that!
9.gif
My cousins had horses and I would ride the horses and they also had an ATV and I would ride that too.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 6:51:59 PM
Author: Skippy123

Really? Thank you
12.gif
Actually I love that my parents are so down to earth. My husband couldn''t believe they keep 2 houses; one to watch their cows and one in the city. It is what makes them happy, so that makes me happy
9.gif
That''s really all that matters.
2.gif

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 6:59:19 PM

Awww. Did you ride her?

9.gif
My cousins had horses and I would ride the horses and they also had an ATV and I would ride that too.

LOL. I had to ask. For some reason I have a faint memory of being on a cow when I was around 2 or 3. But not sure if I actually was or not.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 7:01:49 PM

Date: 4/19/2007 6:59:19 PM

Awww. Did you ride her?

9.gif

LOL. I had to ask. For some reason I have a faint memory of being on a cow when I was around 2 or 3. But not sure if I actually was or not.
ROFL. I wonder if you were on one too?????
31.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 6:55:10 PM
Author: strmrdr
Actually my parents cow''s weren''t dairy cows; they were the other kind.
emembarrassed.gif

They still keep about 10 just for fun.

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 7:16:02 PM
Date: 4/19/2007 6:55:10 PM

Author: strmrdr

Actually my parents cow''s weren''t dairy cows; they were the other kind.
emembarrassed.gif

They still keep about 10 just for fun.

32.gif
Don''t tell me that was the fate of your cow.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s a very sweet and touching story Skippy!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 7:18:39 PM
Author: Kaleigh
That''s a very sweet and touching story Skippy!!
Thanks!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 7:17:58 PM

32.gif
Don't tell me that was the fate of your cow.
No, not my cow nor do they now.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/19/2007 7:21:38 PM

32.gif
Don't tell me that was the fate of your cow.

Whew--I was thinking the same thing as oshin!

I once bought a condo where there was a curly cow hair rug on the floor under the dining room table and I made some comment about how lovely the fur was and the seller told me it was the skin from his cow that he raised for 4H when he was ten.
23.gif
The most disturbing part was that he kept calling her by name...

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock

32.gif
Well that''s a relief...I was wondering why the past tense...didn''t want to think he had become a juicy steak.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 9:02:12 PM
Author: FireGoddess

32.gif
Well that''s a relief...I was wondering why the past tense...didn''t want to think he had become a juicy steak.
No, no steak.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
That is such a sweet story, Skippy!
9.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cute story Skippy! I love that you called him Blanco! I grew up on a farm in Indiana...getting up super early to go feed the calves was one of my favorite things to do--we used to put big 1/2 gallon glass bottle feeders of milk on holders inside the stalls in the barn and before we could even get them in the holders the calves were suckling all over you, nothing like starting out the day with cow slobber all over your coat. But they were so sweet. My brother had a "pet" Holstein calf named Jonathan and they developed quite a friendship. Same calf actually became a surrogate son to our horse, an Apaloosa named Cricket, she had never been mated and took a like to him for some reason, so cute to see a huge horse nuzzling a little baby calf! I had a particular milk cow of the Brown Swiss variety that used to let me pet her head when we gave her hay in the barn, I just called her Brown Swiss and thought that was her name, lol!

Cows really are sweet animals, and very social, too. Did you know that they actually develop hierarchies within their herds and they even hold grudges against each other if one pisses another off? They can also live to be 25-30 years old, much like horses. So those California happy cow commercials you see for the dairy industry are actually somewhat true!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Skippy, I love the story about the calf - I am such a huge animal lover. I keep telling my husband that I want an alpaca for Xmas, but so far, 3 Xmases, no alpaca ;p I think he chose a house on only 1/5 acre so we don''t actually have room - it''s still my dream, though, someday!

rfath

Shiny_Rock
Sure you can ride a cow!

Sybille has gotten a lot of attention on the horse boards that I read...

rfath

Shiny_Rock
right-o.. I''m stupid sometimes. Here she is!

showjumpcow.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 8:08:06 PM
Author: Dee*Jay

......and the seller told me it was the skin from his cow that he raised for 4H when he was ten.
23.gif
The most disturbing part was that he kept calling her by name...
LOL...Cracks me up, DJ....
23.gif

Skippy...glad your cow didn''t suffer a similar fate!
9.gif

widget

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy what an adorable story. You sound like such a sweet person. It would be a pleasure to know you.

DJ: You crack me up. Still giggling here.

Linda

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I loved your story Skippy! It reminds me about what is so "real" and wonderful about so many people in our great state. You are a delight to have on this forum.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2007 4:50:21 PM
Author: Linda W
Skippy what an adorable story. You sound like such a sweet person. It would be a pleasure to know you.

DJ: You crack me up. Still giggling here.

Linda

Linda, PS needs to have some sort of convention or something; it would be so much fun to meet all the wonderful people here and look at vendors gems/diamonds too! Thank you; you seem like a wonderful person; it would be a pleasure to know you too
1.gif
Thank you Anchor! DeeJay you are too funny. heeheee

Sundial, I love our state too! It is such a beautiful place with all sorts of wonderful people; I love the diversity for sure!!!! I am excited for your upcoming trip!
9.gif

Vespergirl, it is funny that you mention alpaca's; there is an alpaca farm up near my parents property. They seem like sweet animals.

Monarch, that is so neat you grew up on a farm. I was always so jealous of my cousins feeding the pigs, collecting eggs from the chickens, riding horses. I actually got over being jealous of feeding the chickens because a rooster chased me once
32.gif
. It was fun to visit!

I didn't know you could ride cows. Our cows were like fish; they moved if you got too close. Interesting; I wonder if it depends on the breed?

Thanks for letting me share my story, I appreciate your kindness
12.gif
TGIF
35.gif
Thanks Nicrez for starting this; very sweet of you

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
skippy, I think rfath is talking about bull riding? I could be wrong, but I never met a cow who would just let you hop on top of it, and obviously bulls won't let you either if you have ever seen or watched a rodeo, lol!

Yeah, growing up on a farm was fun, I got to see a lot of life lessons at an early age, such as birthing, milking, cows dying, etc. Chickens my parents only kept for about one year, they were just a total PITA and not worth their cost in the end. BTW, I should note that my parents were also self-employed and ran several other businesses including a 24-hr truck stop/diner (part of a chain my grandfather built) and the farming was sort of a "side" thing, if you will. Anyway, something you may find really funny is that all of my "town" friends ( I went to a Catholic school for 1-3 grade inside the city limits) used to come to my birthday parties and complain about the smell of manure... when one lives in the midst of farmland they become sort of immune to the smell and don't even notice it, but when outsiders so to speak come around and especially children they love to point it out, which was a bit of a hard pill for me to swallow. I always had beautiful clothes and wasn't some uneducated hayseed, but a couple of girls in my class like to make fun of me, lol! So it's funny to hear someone say they were jealous of their "farm" relatives growing up!

DH and I were just talking about how even dogs were kept farm vs. city when we were growing up and even now...when I was a kid, and even still in my parents' neighborhood, dogs aren't fenced in or kept indoors, they are usually working dogs or guard dogs and sometimes they do get hit by cars or attacked by wild animals. Here in the suburbs that would never happen, people protect their animals and have them more for pets/companions (not that farm or country dogs aren't pets) and those things are unlikely to happen and if they did someone would probably be sued. It's so strange that we only grew up 5 hours apart but our worlds are very different when it comes to this kind of thing.

Sorry to ramble on here on yosur thread, skippy! Just loved knowing the fact that you had a cow when you were little and your relatives still keep some around in this day and age for kicks. So many "city dwellers" grow up never even seeing what a real cow looks like firsthand and it's interesting to know that people like you are out there.
35.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Monarch,
You brought back soooooo many wonderful memories to me. I also saw a calf being born; it was amazing (at the time I was a little in shock and thought it was a little icky but cool). My cousins dogs were work dogs too! I liked the dogs following us around because there were coyotes at the Ranch. Were your cows dairy cows or you all just had a lot of them? Did you help brand cows? That part was not my favorite.

They also had a plum orchard and my grandma would can stuff and make jams. Wow, I am really lucky I got to experience that. Please tell me more if you like. You are not rambling; it brought back so many wonderful memories!!!! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results