shape
carat
color
clarity

Skin cleanser?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I know this is kind of a strange topic, but I need a winter skin cleanser. I’ve been using Eminence stonecrop cleanser in the summer as my skin is oily and acne-prone. It’s too drying in the winter, so I was using Reversa gentle cleanser (has glycerin) in the winter. I still use some milder forms of prescription acne medication which is very very drying. The problem is, when I use moisturizers, they cause more break outs, even tho I’m 53! Can anyone recommend a very mild skin cleanser that takes the above into account. I think the Reversa may be causing break out issues. Traditional acne cleansers are too drying for my mature skin, and formulations for mature women seem too rich for my acne-prone skin. Can anyone advise or recommend anything? I’ve tried Cetaphil, and it was just meh.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
The skin cleanser that I swear by is Purpose by Johnson & Johnson. I think it is worth a try. I have been using it for at least 20 years and will not use anything else. I find it is be gentle, not drying, and effective. I particularly love that I can remove my eye makeup with it while I am washing my face.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Where do you buy it OdetteOdile? I don’t recognize the name so I’m wondering if available in Canada?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Ahhh, has sodium laureth sulphate. I have a problem with that I’m afraid :(

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhh, has sodium laureth sulphate. I have a problem with that I’m afraid :(

That is too bad! Fyi, I usually find it at CVS, but I think I have bought it on Amazon in the past too.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use Burts Bees sensitive skin wipes or Aveeno sensitive face wipes made for babies and rinse with plain water. If I don’t wear makeup at all, I use plain water and that’s it.

F4FB6DB9-873C-4D5F-A19E-6EBF2DEDAE84.png

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been using this for a year. It removes makeup, leaves my skin soft. Expensive but worth it.

Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 8.01.59 PM.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy Costco's Kirkland bar soap.
It cleans the whole body, and it's really cheap.

Glad to help. ;))

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I stopped using soap type products on my face years ago. This melts makeup and cleans without harsh chemicals. I won’t use anything with sodium laureth/lauryl sulfates. Oil attracts oil. Is great for all skin types. Leaves my skin clean yet hydrated. (I sound like a commercial)

5B383F78-8B5D-42C6-8241-E922DC6B86C8.jpeg

Last edited:

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like La Roche Toleriane Dermo-Cleanser. I have sensitive and reactive skin and I don't find it drying or irritating. I also use the Micellar Water Ultra Reactive for removing my makeup. It can also be used as a cleanser. I get both at Shoppers Drug Mart.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use oil cleansers. There are a lot on the market. I make my own with mineral oil and polysorbate because I strongly prefer mineral oil and most have plant oils.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use La Roche Posay Dermo cleanser (like @Poodles4me ) and I rinse it off with Avene Thermal Spray water. You don't need to rinse it but I do. It's super gentle and I have very reactive hyper sensitive skin and this keeps my skin very happy. I tried oil cleansers and it just did not agree with my skin despite having dry skin. It made me break out. It was years ago so I do not remember the exact oils I used but I tried a myriad of oils over many months and they all aggravated my face.

@Poodles4me already kindly shared the link for the dermo cleanser so just sharing the link for the thermal spray I use.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also use LaRoche Posay cleansers, available at Shoppers. Or maybe London Drugs for you? I also use a full line up of Hada Labo products, they always work for my ultra sensitive reactive skin. The milk, premium, and moisturizer work well for me.

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
I use Aveeno Ultra-Calming foaming cleanser. I checked and it looks like it doesn't have sodium laureth/lauryl sulfates. It's also inexpensive, which I like when it comes to cleansers (I'll spend money on things that spend more time on my skin.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
+1 to LaRoche Posay; I've been using for 2 years.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried micellar cleansers? They are gentle. I use Garnier one in warmer months but also heard good things about Bioderma brand. All of these also come in travel size bottles.

For winter, I switch to Boscia MakeUp-BreakUp Cool Cleansing Oil.

Last edited:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for weighing in everyone!

I do use biotherm micellar water! To remove makeup, but I also like to follow up with a gentle cleanser.

An oil cleanser would cause breakouts for me, as I’ve tried them in the past. Even having my hands close to my face at night causes them, as I put on hand cream at night.

La Roche Posay. Hmmm...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

What does your Neuropath recommend?

cheers--Sharon

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have combo skin so I LOVE both of these Drunk Elephant Bars, I alternate them at night (after doing an oil cleanse if I wore make-up, for that I love this: Balm They are a bit spendy but they last for a very long time and are "clean" which helps my skin since I'm prone to Rosacea.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Avene Gentle Cleanser, similar to LRP ones.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I have very oily acne prone skin as well that I have struggled with for 30 years. I feel like I've tried everything and have spent a fortune on products. But the best thing I have found has honestly been to use mineral makeup and washable mascara, wash my face with water and a washcloth only. My skin now has calmed down and the amount of oil is so much better. At night I also put a few drops of Organic Rosehip seed oil on my skin which has a natural AHA in it. That's it. Oh, and a tablespoon of gelatin in my coffee in the mornings. These things have done a lot for my skin I think.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I hear you, I’ve struggled with acne for almost 40 years. So so tired of it. My skin settles down for a few months and then flares. Tried everything over the years, and no real pattern to it. I’m glad you’ve found something that works for you Mrs. S!

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
I do the double cleansing method.

Cleansing balm or cleansing oil to remove m/u and sunscreen.

Then follow up with a low pH foaming cleanser (around pH 5.5 - 6).

Our skin has a slightly acidic natural protective layer (acid mantle). But majority of the cleansers and soaps have a high pH (pH 8 or even higher) that disrupts the acid mantle, which can lead to all kinds of skin issues.

Ok, that's my skincare nerd post of the day, lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results