shape
carat
color
clarity

Sizing Beads-How hard could it be?

BlingBuff

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone!

I have a question about how to wear a ring that is two sizes too big.

The jeweler, for a retail store that I normally go to, says a particular ring I like cannot be sized and a horseshoe can't be inserted either. I asked about sizing beads and I was told they couldn't even do those. The saleswoman who relayed this message to me couldn't explain why this was the case.

I understand why it cannot be sized (there are diamonds on the side, centered right in the middle of the shank), but why wouldn't sizing beads be an option? What is the process for installing those? Could the jeweler be afraid of heating the ring? I'm confused.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IAre the stones all the way around the band?- if so you can't put sizing beads b/c of the heat - they have to be metal on metal.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
motownmama|1306265800|2929292 said:
IAre the stones all the way around the band?- if so you can't put sizing beads b/c of the heat - they have to be metal on metal.

Well, you can ... you just need to be exceptionally skilled. Even with an eternity band, a good jeweler will either apply a kind of paste that diverts the heat from the stones, or simply use a laser to attach the beads.

My suggestion? Try a different jeweler ....

BlingBuff

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies, motownmama and circe!

The retail salesperson said the original estate jewelry vendor has agreed to take a look at it.

The diamonds don't go all the way around the shank, they're just right smack in the center of the round. I wish I could post a pic, but it has been taken off of the website.

It's a "wait and see" situation at this point.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
They make small metal ring guards that clamp onto the ring. I've worn rings with those on them, my grandmother who had bad arthritis did the same thing, it had to be a large enough to slide over her swollen knuckles then she could use the ring guard to keep the ring from spinning. It doesn't damage the ring and they are inexpensive enough. They come in different sizes to fit the width of the band of the ring:
http://cgi.ebay.com/RING-GUARD-ASSORTMENT-SMALL-MEDIUM-LARGE-6-PCS-STERLING-/220700883906?pt=Gemstone_Rings&hash=item3362cc3bc2

Honestly though, I bet you could take the ring somewhere better and they'd figure out how to make it smaller for you, even if it's soldering a small metal band inside somewhere.

BlingBuff

Rough_Rock
The estate jewelry vendor actually sized it! I'm surprised they did this without a firm commitment from me to buy. No horseshoe, no beads were used. I asked if the integrity of the ring would be now be compromised and I was told the diamonds were not in danger of coming out. Hmmm......I feel a little leery honestly, after being told originally it was impossible. Is it common to have such varied opinions between people who size rings?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is totally possible to have different opinions. I'm a happy amateur silversmith, so I could easily size a plain band without any stones ... or maybe a ring with a center stone ... but nothing tougher than that. My custom guy, who works for HW in his spare time? Yeah, he could probably size a thick pave band without batting an eye. Some people are more skilled than others: I'm guessing they called in a more skilled associate to do this. If you're nervous, ask an appraiser to check the security of the settings, but don't worry on principle.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nearly anything that a sales person says is impossible is actually possible if handed to the right craftsman. Sometimes it is simply a matter of expense. Sometimes it is a matter of knowledge and skill. Sometimes it is laziness. Usually one must assume that the impossible can be done, but it just costs a little more. Look at Jay Leno's car collection. He has vehicles that have zero available parts. Instead of taking "no" for an answer, he spends the money, which he definitely has, to make the parts totally custom. He has cars which no one else has that run like the day they were made or better. A "no" to such a persistent individual is a challenge, not an obstacle.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results