shape
carat
color
clarity

Size over Brilliance?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamond-gal

Rough_Rock

Hi everyone, I’m curious about your opinion... I once spoke to a friend of mine who is a diamond dealer he said that he found that most of the time when he showed diamonds to his clients, they usually picked the bigger less brilliant diamond over the smaller more brilliant diamond!

I have to say that I m a real sucker for well cut diamonds, I feel that is when the true beauty of your diamond comes out...

I '' ve noticed that... my girlfriends will ooooh and ahhh over a really big blind stone, rather than a brilliant stone I don''t get it! I m sure I m not alone in this?

So I was curious to know what everyone thinks? What would you choose brilliance? or size?

33.gif

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Brilliance!!!!! Hands down!!!

The other day I went to the UPS store. I was wearing my new ring (obviously) which is extremely brilliant!! I was filling out a form for my package and was standing next to another woman. She had a lifeless pear shaped diamond that had to be 2 1/2 carats. It was DULL DULL DULL..so I looked at my hand to see if maybe it was the lighting? NO WAY.. my diamond was on fire!!!!!

Then yesterday, at the grocery store... Oh yes!! Grocery store, the lady at the check out was wearing an eternity ring..the size of the diamonds were probably about 1/3c each....nothing..no brilliance IN A GROCERY store. I grabbed my bag and the lady said oh my that is a big sparkly white ring.. Thank you I said...hers was dull..not my cup of tea.

Then......I went to the mall! YES! the mall... I was looking for one of those cheap pendants that have a diamond encrusted letter as the charm for my 6-year old niece....anyway... You know how normally the rings in the case look sparkly! Well, nothing looked sparkly in comparison to my monster!!!

Soooo i''ll pick brilliance over size ANY DAY for these reasons!!! LOL!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2004 8:43:36 AM
Author:diamond-gal

Hi everyone, I’m curious about your opinion... I once spoke to a friend of mine who is a diamond dealer he said that he found that most of the time when he showed diamonds to his clients, they usually picked the bigger less brilliant diamond over the smaller more brilliant diamond!

I have to say that I m a real sucker for well cut diamonds, I feel that is when the true beauty of your diamond comes out...

I '' ve noticed that... my girlfriends will ooooh and ahhh over a really big blind stone, rather than a brilliant stone I don''t get it! I m sure I m not alone in this?

So I was curious to know what everyone thinks? What would you choose brilliance? or size?

33.gif

i would say that is probably accurate. most people would go for the larger, yet dull, stone. i think they''re mostly looking at "bigger is better." i would even bet they are looking at stones that are the same price, with very different cut quality (thinking, "hey, they''re the same price, i''m going to get the big one!). it''s too bad they get home with their big dull diamond and can''t figure out why it doesn''t sparkle! especially when they run into me, or any other ps member, with the monster sparkle going on!
so, to answer your question, for me brilliance! of course.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, not sure I have the same thing in mind as you: if the premium on cut at the respective shop is such that you get to compare one half a carat idea with a decent stone over 1 carat than... it probably takes a ridiculously bad cut one carat to make the larger stone undesirable. There must be a limit for everything
39.gif

Non H&A can have great optics, so... why not actually go for a larger stone like that if the H&A pedigree doesn't count much ?

If brilliance doesn't count at all, than you may be after a rose cut diamond without knowing !

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
I think the average diamond buyer isn''t that discriminating: a diamond is a diamond. That''s what mall/chain retailers count on. These buyers don''t know about cut and brilliance, scintillation, light return. They may know a little about colour and clarity. They do know what size is, however.

I believe that you can sacrifice some colour and clarity for size, but for me I wanted really good performance even though I knew you can get larger with less performance (ie. less well cut).

The fiancee got a very well cut .90 ct solitaire. Was thrilled to hear that a co-worker, (who has over 1 ct - not very common around here) after the fiancee complimented her on her big rock, said "but yours is much more sparkly than mine!"

Z.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Gals are always going to oooo and ahhh over someone''s new e-ring, even if it''s a frozen piece of spit. A friend of mine and I have squealed over so many large e-rings, then turned to each other later and said, "That was a pretty yellow stone" or "It wasn''t very nice looking." And this other friend of mine isn''t even a diamond nut!

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
I went to a wedding last year and, as you do, I checked out everyone''s e-rings. There was everything from one- to six-carats, but my favourite by far was a RB, about 1.6 carats, that was so exquisitely shiny and white, that it took your breath away. Far nicer than the bride''s 2.4 RB that was tinged with a very obvious shade of yellow and looked deader than a fall leaf.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Was a target waiting in line today. A woman was behind me. She said Whoa! Now that is SOME ring!! her second comment. It''s so sparkly.. so again!! Brilliance over size!!! (my diamond is a 1.5c rb set in a Michael B. three-sided pave about 3ctw)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ll take a well cut stone over size anyday ,what good is size when it does''nt sparkle ?

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
I think if one is not educated about diamonds, the tendancy might be to pick size over brilliance due to sheer ignorance. Once one learns, however, I think they''d realize what really makes a diamond attractive and the tide would turn in favor of brilliance. Moral of the story, everyone should learn about diamonds.
9.gif

I was in Macy''s, Sears and even Walmart one day and was surprised to see men checking out the diamonds. It was so tempting not to steer them to Pricescope for a little Diamond Ed 101 first.
11.gif
Bless their hearts, they wanted somthing special for their special someone. Who can fault them for that.
12.gif

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/14/2004 8:43:36 AM
Author:diamond-gal

I ' ve noticed that... my girlfriends will ooooh and ahhh over a really big blind stone, rather than a brilliant stone I don't get it! I m sure I m not alone in this?

33.gif

Oh the horror of it all!!!
6.gif
Size or brilliance?? Give me brilliance!! I'm like a little bird...attracted to anything that throws off sparks! That's big OR small
2.gif

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
Brilliance easy I love sparkles
12.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results