shape
carat
color
clarity

Size or Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LuvthatSparkle

Shiny_Rock
A new diamond has presented itself.........and I don''t know what to do! Size or Quality?

CURRENT STONE
RB
I color
SI
Polish & Symmetry: good
Cut: good
Table: 62
Depth: 58
Cost: $6000

CONSIGNMENT STONE
RB
J color
I1
Polish & Symmetry: very good
Cut: very good
Table: 57
Depth: 62
Cost: $5500 (Consignment)

I''ve seen both stones, the I1 has an inclusion (feather) easily viewed from the bottom but not the top, and I notice the color more on the consignment stone maybe just cause of the size! Not sure I like it........but I would not be able to afford the 2.77 if it wasn''t a consignment stone! Oh.......what to do
20.gif

Rowan

Shiny_Rock
Go with your gut, pick the one you like looking at more since you''ll be looking at it for a long time.

LuvthatSparkle

Shiny_Rock
That''s good advice. I forgot about that, all I keep thinking is how cheap the larger stone is and that I should want it just because it''s big.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im a picky ******* but Id go with the lighter color over the bigger stone.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Along the same lines as the epinion offered by Rowan; nothing is a "bargin" if you will cannot wear the ring without reservation about its color or clarity. Disappointment and hence regret are powerful feelings not easily reconciled, but you know what you can tolerate.

Good luck in your decision!

cheers

Sharon
1.gif

LuvthatSparkle

Shiny_Rock
Ame,

I''m a picky A-hole too!!
9.gif
I''m going to take a second look at it today, I have an entourage going with me (bestfriend, boyfriend, etc.). And we will compare the two up close.

Canuk-gal,

You are so right! I was really bugeyed
3.gif
when I saw it and after I looked a bit more all these questions started popping up. My jeweler has been holding the stone for me, he thinks it''s a great buy and I think so too (I''ve done my research). Turns out I''m not the size queen I thought I was! LOL

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it sounds like these two are loose. Can you ask the seller to show you how both would look set ? You may find the larger one acceptable once set after all. At least in theory color should show seriously less once diamonds are set, especially if you are not after a high open setting.

Are these graded? By whom ?

Between these choices, there are a couple of G/H I1s listed in the PS database right now that may look like a good compromise between your choices.

Among them:
#2924837 at DirtCheapDiamonds and
#8839123 at Abazias...

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
For what it''s worth, I''d choose the higher quality, smaller stone over the larger one.

But then again, you''re the one who saw them in person. Your post seems to indicate that you''re wary of purchasing the 2+ carat diamond. Will your intended care more about size and will she notice the color difference?
28.gif

NYCbride

Rough_Rock
Go w/ what you want. If you want big than go big. How noticable are the flaws in the bigger stone??? Does the bigger stone sparkle?? Is the cut brilliant??

LuvthatSparkle

Shiny_Rock
Update!

Well I went with my consultants (Boyfriend and Maid of Honor) for advice. When my jeweler took out the diamond there were exclamations of "OH MY GOD!" and "HOW MUCH DID YOU SAY!" I sat there mulling it over while my BF and MH looked at me like I had grown two heads! lol so to make a long story short, we switched to the bigger stone. After viewing them together turns out they are very much alike. And when the larger stone is set you don''t notice the includsion. The BF and I have been in shock and we can''t believe our luck. I find myself a bit nervous........I realized that my issue was more about the circles we run in and how we will be perceived. Nobody in my family has an engagment ring, nobody in his family has one our friends don''t have ............. and here we are buying the rock of gibraltar. I feel happy and weird all at the same time.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
So do we get to see a picture of this Rock???
face3.gif

LuvthatSparkle

Shiny_Rock
LOL, yeah, I''m taking one next week. Hopefully a disposable cam will do the trick or maybe I can borrow a digital, Jeez maybe our next purchase should be a camera!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Yay!
36.gif
Although I did not post, I was rooting for the bigger stone. I''m glad you compared them together. That would make the choice easier I''m sure. The difference between an I and J would be minimal, and as long as the I1 is eye-clean to you, it sounds like a WINNER!!!! The difference in size between a 1.5 and 2.7 is HUGE, and I like ''em big!!!

Can''t wait to see the pics. Use the money you saved for a digital camera!
2.gif

DiamondLil

headlight

Ideal_Rock
You know, the smaller stone wasn''t necessarily "better", just different -- it did have that significantly large table paired with a shallower depth. The larger stone has better proportions in that arena.
That is a HUGE diff in size... enjoy!!!
You lucky girl...
9.gif

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on the rock of Gibraltar
36.gif

It sounds gorgeous on paper, can''t wait to see a photo!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results