shape
carat
color
clarity

Size of Gemstones compared to your ering stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When picking out a gemstone for a ring do you consider the size of your ering stone?

So if my ering is 8mm do I keep the gemstone to that size or smaller? Or do you just buy what you like and consider it a seperate and unrelated ring? A couple of stones that I saw that are 8/9 mm said "a good stone for a pendant" Do you think that was a size thing?

Thanks

riogems

Shiny_Rock
This is separate and unrelated... although many use color for an ering too.

Since you have an 8mm ering, you''d probably be able to deal with an 8 or 9mm for a ring too.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. I have a rectangular cushion that''s just over 8mm on the longest side. So, I was thinking 7mm or 8mm for a Round Colored Stone.

I have a setting in my mind and it needs a round stone. But so many other shapes appeal to me...

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I don''t consider my wedding set at all when I''m buying rings. I just buy what I like. That said, most of my rings are bigger than my engagement ring.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
No I don''t base it on the size of my e-ring. My e-ring center stone is a .65 so that would really limit me.
I have some larger and some about the same size.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
No, I don''t. The RHR I usually wear is an etoile band. I also have a 5x7 oval sapphire set e/w in a white gold band to stack with it. I sometimes wear a big (3-4 carats) garnet set in a diamond oval halo. My ering is a 6x8 oval set in a halo.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 4:47:32 PM
Author:Stone Hunter
When picking out a gemstone for a ring do you consider the size of your ering stone?

So if my ering is 8mm do I keep the gemstone to that size or smaller? Or do you just buy what you like and consider it a seperate and unrelated ring? A couple of stones that I saw that are 8/9 mm said 'a good stone for a pendant' Do you think that was a size thing?

Thanks
too funny, I've been thinking exactly of this!! Okay just let me ramble some backstory - skip to the next paragraph if you want LOL When we got married I wanted a 2/3-3/4 carat oval and I thought it was the perfect size for me for my hand etc. Well as you all know I elected to wait... and wait and wait... LOL So for my 5th anniversary I got the oval amethyst in this pic below. I loved this ring so much I dreamed of getting a diamond for it someday but I never in a million years thought I'd ever get one this BIG (it'd be about a 1.5 carat oval 8mmx6mm) and the most I ever aspired to was 1 carat - maybe, strong maybe LOL So then of course I get the one on my pinkie in this shot... haha... okay its not going to fit... and now this amethyst looks TINY to me!

I've always thought the gemstones were pretty much naturally bigger than the diamonds because they were cheaper... or because diamonds weren't big... or I dunno - it just always struck me that the gemstones should be bigger. So what, every gemstone I ever get from now to eternity has to be 8x10mm or larger? I think I need to rethink this theory LOL I still love the size of the other purple mystery stone in the below pic... it might be a bit on the big side but not by much! I love big colored stones! I'm waiting for ellen to send me her aqua ;-) haha :D

ETA: the large stone below is 14x11mm

ETA2: hehehe (don't mind me lol) here's my formula ;-) The length of your e-ring should be the width of your gemstone ;-) There ya go!!

cbmont1.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 5:24:29 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
Thanks. I have a rectangular cushion that''s just over 8mm on the longest side. So, I was thinking 7mm or 8mm for a Round Colored Stone.

I have a setting in my mind and it needs a round stone. But so many other shapes appeal to me...
round... hmmm.... I don''t think you (using sara''s theory of stone size which you are free to ignore lol) need to match or exceed the LONG side of your stone, but I think you should match or exceed the SMALL side of your stone for a round.... I dunno, rounds kinda defy my theory LOL I still think the bigger the better LOL omg what''s happened to me!!!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2007 5:54:46 PM
Author: innerkitten
No I don''t base it on the size of my e-ring. My e-ring center stone is a .65 so that would really limit me.
I have some larger and some about the same size.
My ering stone was smaller than that but an oval. So my other colored stone rings are on the small side. I didn''t really feel limited but kind of "bad" if my colored stone would be much much bigger than my ering. I think they are all about the same size as my ering. But I do have small fingers 5.5 for the RHR.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2007 6:05:55 PM
Author: Miranda
No, I don''t. The RHR I usually wear is an etoile band. I also have a 5x7 oval sapphire set e/w in a white gold band to stack with it. I sometimes wear a big (3-4 carats) garnet set in a diamond oval halo. My ering is a 6x8 oval set in a halo.
Yes I like your ering. But I don''t think I''ve seen a photo of that sapphire? Could you post it? And the garnet too. I''m thinking of Garnets and Sapphires and Tourmalines lately.
21.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2007 7:35:26 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 2/13/2007 4:47:32 PM
Author:Stone Hunter

So if my ering is 8mm do I keep the gemstone to that size or smaller? Or do you just buy what you like and consider it a seperate and unrelated ring? A couple of stones that I saw that are 8/9 mm said ''a good stone for a pendant'' Do you think that was a size thing?

Thanks
too funny, I''ve been thinking exactly of this!! Okay just let me ramble some backstory - skip to the next paragraph if you want LOL When we got married I wanted a 2/3-3/4 carat oval and I thought it was the perfect size for me for my hand etc. Well as you all know I elected to wait... and wait and wait... LOL So for my 5th anniversary I got the oval amethyst in this pic below. I loved this ring so much I dreamed of getting a diamond for it someday but I never in a million years thought I''d ever get one this BIG (it''d be about a 1.5 carat oval 8mmx6mm) and the most I ever aspired to was 1 carat - maybe, strong maybe LOL So then of course I get the one on my pinkie in this shot... haha... okay its not going to fit... and now this amethyst looks TINY to me!

I''ve always thought the gemstones were pretty much naturally bigger than the diamonds because they were cheaper... or because diamonds weren''t big... or I dunno - it just always struck me that the gemstones should be bigger. So what, every gemstone I ever get from now to eternity has to be 8x10mm or larger? I think I need to rethink this theory LOL I still love the size of the other purple mystery stone in the below pic... it might be a bit on the big side but not by much! I love big colored stones! I''m waiting for ellen to send me her aqua ;-) haha :D

ETA: the large stone below is 14x11mm

ETA2: hehehe (don''t mind me lol) here''s my formula ;-) The length of your e-ring should be the width of your gemstone ;-) There ya go!!
Well I''m not surprised that we''re thinking along the same lines.

I am surprised at how large all your stones are yet they look great on your hand! Obviously different hands require different sizes as well as shapes.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve thought of it, too! You have to go higher in weight in a sapphire to equal the size of a diamond. I''ll be mostly looking for cushion, oval, emerald/asscher cut colored stones. For the blue one, I''ll probably look in the 2.5 carat range because they are the most expensive. But I may go to the 3 ct. range on some of the less expensive sapphire colors. I don''t mind if the stones are a little larger than my diamond, but I don''t want to be totally out of proportion either.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 11:09:35 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I''ve thought of it, too! You have to go higher in weight in a sapphire to equal the size of a diamond. I''ll be mostly looking for cushion, oval, emerald/asscher cut colored stones. For the blue one, I''ll probably look in the 2.5 carat range because they are the most expensive. But I may go to the 3 ct. range on some of the less expensive sapphire colors. I don''t mind if the stones are a little larger than my diamond, but I don''t want to be totally out of proportion either.
have you thought about shape at all? I''ve been thinking about that as well... to ME (JMO of course) emeralds, asschers, princess, and rounds are strictly diamond shapes - no clue why but that''s just how it falls LOL Ovals, marquise, cushion are the shapes that most get me for gems - now marquise I really only like with lighter stones like pad saph or something... cushion can pretty much be anything of any material haha (true cushion lover) but unfortunately I don''t think I want two cushion rings - one being my diamond and then the gem.... so that leaves oval I guess which can be so similar to cushion as well... or square cushion I suppose that could work. I wouldn''t mind a square cushion the size of xraydoc''s (I think it was 12x12 lol!!) in a nice rich dark natural ruby hahaha.... yeah that''ll happen lol I''m pretty sure that the first gemstone I buy - whatever color or size - will have a checkerboard top... I just LOVE those - and if I can find one that is set on bias like diamonds... omg I''ll just swoon :) It''d have to be big enough to appreciate the checkerboard AND dark enough to really show it off....

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 5:24:29 PM
Author: Stone Hunter

BTW - what setting and color are you thinking of?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t really worry about it. I buy larger gemstones because they are less expensive and I love seeing the color. I don''t really think it overpowers my e-ring at all!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Nope. I have some RHR that have larger stones, and some that have smaller. I too love to wear some big colorful rings that I could never afford in diamonds. Things like moonstone or turquoise or lapis, set in silver. I say just buy what looks great to you and don''t worry too much about your other hand.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes that''s a better way of saying what I''m thinking. I don''t want to be "out of proportion."

I don''t remember your erings mm size but ct weight it''s almost a twin of mine. So we are going to look for about the same size colored stones. Don''t worry you''ve got first dibs on everything. I''m still trying to figure out exactly what I want and save up.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2007 11:54:19 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

have you thought about shape at all? I''ve been thinking about that as well... to ME (JMO of course) emeralds, asschers, princess, and rounds are strictly diamond shapes - no clue why but that''s just how it falls LOL Ovals, marquise, cushion are the shapes that most get me for gems - now marquise I really only like with lighter stones like pad saph or something... cushion can pretty much be anything of any material haha (true cushion lover) but unfortunately I don''t think I want two cushion rings - one being my diamond and then the gem.... so that leaves oval I guess which can be so similar to cushion as well... or square cushion I suppose that could work. I wouldn''t mind a square cushion the size of xraydoc''s (I think it was 12x12 lol!!) in a nice rich dark natural ruby hahaha.... yeah that''ll happen lol I''m pretty sure that the first gemstone I buy - whatever color or size - will have a checkerboard top... I just LOVE those - and if I can find one that is set on bias like diamonds... omg I''ll just swoon :) It''d have to be big enough to appreciate the checkerboard AND dark enough to really show it off....
Yes it seems that most of my colored stones are OVALs. So I want to stay away from them. I would like one really really well cut round stone. But I am drawn to the EC and the other rectangles. I only like FAT MARQUISE. I don''t know if I''d like one in a colored stone.

Like you said I''m not sure about wearing two cushion rings...seems like it might be weird. I''d really have to see them on my hand to decide.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kcoursolle and flygirl you make really good points. I just need to give this size thing some thought. I don''t want to look "out of proportion" I guess it''s a personality thing too.

Cehra as far as stones and colors go -- when I look on the colored stone sites and see something with a beautiful cut or color I swoon. Doesn''t matter what stone it is. That''s why I''m all over the map with what I want. So many beautiful choices.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results