shape
carat
color
clarity

Size difference

Susiecushie

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
I'm thinking of upgrading again. I don't want to post links to the diamonds I'm thinking about because I don't want them snatched. ;-) But trust that they are from an awesome PS vendor and great grading.

So the difference between the two I'm thinking of is .3mm ( .26 ct difference) and everything else is the same (cut, clarity, color). Currently, I have a 7.0 mm round ideal cut. I realize that the cushion will face up smaller than the round for the ct wt. So my current diamond is roughly in the middle of the two (in regard to mm). The price difference is about $1500 between the cushions. What would you all do? Would I see the size differnce? Should I save the $1500 and not get the bigger cushion? I do have to add that my current diamond did do the magical shrinking soon after I got it. But will a .15 either way be noticable? BUT from the side will a .2 - .5 increase in ctwt be noticable (because I do like the side views)? Or would it overall still look like the same size as my round diamond?

I do want a cushion more than anything!!! So that isn't the question. But ultimately should I go as big as possible for 1500 more for a .15 face up difference but a .5 increase in wt?

Uggh....if anyone could tell me what to do I would really appreciate it. :)

I guess I don't know what I would see as difference (other than the cut). Would it be more overall blingy????
Susan

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you post both stone's measurements? It would help.

Susiecushie

Rough_Rock
Sure. The 1.5 is 6.81x6.85x4.37 (LxWxD) The 1.76 is 7.12x7.18x4.79

I currently have a 1.3 round.

So I think I will be getting one or the other but i don't want to be disappointed with the size kwim? Thinking that overall (size view too) that it will look bigger when it won't. I want the look of a cushion so with that I'll be happy but I don't want to be surprised.
susan

Susiecushie

Rough_Rock
No advice???

Joolz

Rough_Rock
Susie: I am far from an expert and have wrestled with a similar decision but I will say I think the corners on a cushion will make a difference to my eyes. In other words, a larger surface area due to the stretching out to a more square outline vs a more "rounded" cushion that the LxW numbers don't account for.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
this is tough...only you know what your budget is/how you feel about spending extra $1500. If you can, I would get the larger one, although I think both would be beautiful.

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
I would go with the larger one, especially if the setting would be simple. If the setting has more going on, then you probably wouldn't notice too much.

Susiecushie

Rough_Rock
Thanks. The setting would be simple. So it would be noticeable? How about in comparison to my current rb? Or will what I get look like a different cut but overall same size due to cut difference ?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
did you see dreamer's posts comparing a round and an AVC?

Susiecushie

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. I was talking with the husband and he is wondering if I won't be unhappy because it still faces up a bit small for ctwt. :( But I don't think I will be but what if DSS kicks in fast? But ultimately I love the cushion. That has always been my dream diamond. I want a diamond with substance. I want it to look good size from the top and sides. I have requests in for pics from the side so that I can get a better idea of what the chunkiness will look like since it is .5 ctwt heavier.

Thanks for all the advice and if anyone can give me anymore ideas on how to figure out size that would be great.
Susan

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
If these are AVCs then you need to ignore completely all this "Faces up small for the ct weight" BS. I had a 1.64ct AVC and a 1.67 RB in my possession for a week and they look the same when worn. One was 7x7 and the other 7.65mm. So my advice is to think of the ct. weight to make it all simpler.

Get the bigger one. It WILL look bigger than your current diamond.

Will it cure DSS? I don't know. But a 1.76ct cushion is a huge rock.

Susiecushie

Rough_Rock
Thanks Dreamer!!! I guess that is what I was really looking for. I don't want to accidently get disappointed going from a 1.3 rb to a 1.76 AVC and think it will look bigger and that not be true. That based on the measurement on paper it is the same size. And so even though the MAIN goal is NOT bigger (though that is obviously a good thing) but to get a cushion. But honestly how could I not be disappointed if it turned out smaller than I imagined when the cushion is almost .5 heavier?

So these are the ones I was deciding between.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8724/

and

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8728/

...you recommend the bigger one still right?

My current diamond is a J and I can see the warmth and it doesn't bother me but I think it is going to be even more fabulous in the AVC. I have been drooling for a while and so this seems to be the perfect combo L and a vs2 (so mind clean too).

Any opinions on either of these?

Susan

Susiecushie

Rough_Rock
I'm thinking I will adore the warmth. I've seen so many videos/pics. Hard to find any in real life though. So it is a gamble but I was looking for lower color and this is a good pricepoint for me. My biggest concern was not getting a noticable size difference. I don't need MASSIVE difference but appreciable difference. :) I think this will be my long-term diamond. At least I hope so because I don't even know what to love if this isn't the one. :)

Susiecushie

Rough_Rock
I'm thinking I will adore the warmth. I've seen so many videos/pics. Hard to find any in real life though. So it is a gamble but I was looking for lower color and this is a good pricepoint for me. My biggest concern was not getting a noticable size difference. I don't need MASSIVE difference but appreciable difference. :) I think this will be my long-term diamond. At least I hope so because I don't even know what to love if this isn't the one. :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You need to look through my thread comparing a J RB to an M AVC. I think it will be pretty accurate to what the L will look like. I thought it was beautiful, but would not wear it with an RB diamond eternity and would not halo it. It needs an antique style setting to make the warmth purposeful in my opinion.

The cushion in that color will also be softer and less eye catching than the RB. You need to accept that because if size is something you like, then it is possible that you won't adore a cushion in that color because it will have less eye catching hand presence than your present diamond in my opinion. That said, the cut is so pretty and lovely to look at up close. And the tint really special and changable. Those features may win you over.

If you can, you should do what I did: But the AVC and have it sent out to you first and compare it to you RB. Then if you want to keep the AVC, send it and the RB back to GOG and do the upgrade.

Susiecushie

Rough_Rock
Thanks Dreamer,
I just reread your thread. I wish I could get the AVC in to compare but can't afford it. :( The big issue that I am facing now is that if I return it I can't get my RB back. I would have to buy it back with the store credit. I'm thinking the price has increased since March when I bought it. :( I really think I will love it but what if I don't? I can't imagine I won't but what if??? Ughh...trying to figure it out now.

Also, another issue is a setting. I currently have a temp tiff setting but don't want to do that to the AVC because I want to LOVE this ring. I want the whole shebang. :) I love the Vatche settings. I don't think I want custom because that is too much planning on my part. Why must I love diamonds so much? :) I'm not really into the antiquey look of settings. And I don't mind haloing (though I know everyone does it) because I don't necessarily want to hide the color. That is kind of the point of getting an L (in addition to the size).

Thanks for all your great advice.

Susan

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I believe that GOG will send the stone to an appraiser for a deposit as an intermediary so you can see it and then decide. If you decide to go ahead with it then you send the rest of the $$ to them and the appraiser releases it to you (or sends it back if you don't want it or to have it set). That way you can see it before letting go of your RB.

Susiecushie

Rough_Rock
So I figured out a way to pay for the diamond and gog shipped it today so I will have it tomorrow. I will compare the two and I really hope I am right and love it. I don't know why I thought I couldn't just charge it and return it later for a refund. Duh...must have been blinded by the beauties. Nfowife had a good idea and so did you dreamer. Thanks! Darren at gog even ones it. Can't wait to see it.

Susan

Susiecushie

Rough_Rock
I want to thank everyone for all the wonderful help!!!!

I received the diamond on Saturday and I LOVE it!!! I brought in the 1.76 K VS2 AVC. I was worried about the color (since some of you have said the warmth could be an issue) but I ADORE IT!!!! Sometimes it is white and sometimes it is like a light buttery color. So fabulous. My J's warmth from the side has always bothered me a bit but in the AVC it is so awesome. So delish!!! And it is noticable bigger too. That never hurts. ;-)

Thank you so much for all the feedback. So I will be returning my round. I finally feel like I got the diamond of that I've been dreaming about. Rounds are wonderful but too busy for me. A warm AVC was what I have obviously always wanted. I've been drooling for years and finally they had one that was the perfect ratio of color/size/clarity!!! I'm not saying I will never upgrade again but it will be to a lower color AVC if I do.

Susan

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like you made a great choice!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results