shape
carat
color
clarity

size appearance of loose stone v. set

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
For those of you who have purchased a loose stone and then had it set in a simple solitaire setting, did the stone look larger before or after you set it? (I know halos, etc make stones appear larger, but what about a regular ''tiffany style'' solitaire?)

Trying to get an idea if the stone looks larger loose or set.

THanks!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know for myself yet, but I''ve heard larger which is gonna make my stone look ridiculous probably LOL For local, not for ps ;-)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d say it looks the same when set in a simple solitaire setting.

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
I did this exact thing. I bought a .7 rb and set it into a 6 prong. I don''t think that it looks bigger than when it was loose, because the prongs are pretty tiny. But perhaps the 6 prongs instead of 4 do some sort of visual illusion...it is pretty subtle though. Maybe the prongs combined add like 1 mm??

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-wf-union-diamond-knife-edge-solitaire-e-ring.38035/

DBM

Shiny_Rock
I would say bigger but depending on how it''s set. -- 4-prong, thin band, small fingers, tiffany prongs (not basket setting where the stone sits lower).

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys! Anyone else have any thoughts experiences to add to the pot?

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
I have a RB set in a 6 prong Tiffany-style setting. I actually think the setting makes the stone look larger. The platinum prongs seem to melt into the stone making the diameter of the stone appear larger. I''m not sure if the same thing would happen in a yellow gold setting.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have had a bunch of different gemstones and diamonds mounted and they always look bigger to me mounted.
Lose they look tiny.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
My upgrade stone looked much larger to me when it was set then when it was loose. I think having it set high on a finger rather than sitting between the valley of two fingers together, like I did with the loose stones, made a big differnce. The higher the setting, and the thinner the band, the larger I think the stone looks when set.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hey :) this article might be interesting for you, Ponzo illusion explains how our brain re-calculating measurements...well when not really asked to do so. :)

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results