shape
carat
color
clarity

Size 4 ring setting and stone advice

senorvodka

Rough_Rock
Hi All.

After reading for almost 3 months what I could learn about diamonds, I am ready to make the purchase. I know that a bunch of the great people on here have helped others find the perfect stone. I have gone to retailers, looked at James Allen, BG, GoodOldGold etc but I am still shaky on what is a great stone.

She has a tiny hand with a size 4 and so I dont want anything with lots going on. So I figured a solitare makes most sense with smaller prongs? ( Any recommendations of what and where to get this would also be so greatful ). I took her to the Tiffany store a while back and their classic setting seemed to look pretty good on her.

I want to stay with the best cuts as per everything that I have read.

Solitaire
Shape: Round
Cut: XXX
Size: 1.25ct to 1.8ct
Color: G or H, I may be ok
Clarity: Ideally Vs2+ but I guess SI1 with no eye visable inclusions.
Mild or no fluorescence

Do you have any recommendations? Should I stick with JA or should I trry to talk to IDJ ( I read that he is out on vacation until next week and I cant make his website work for some reason ).

Thank you all!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am 4 3/4 and have a Threestone ring. Center is 1.75 and sides are .63ish each. It covers the width of my finger. Band is Tiffany.

_37720.jpg

senorvodka

Rough_Rock
Hmmm that looks pretty good. Thanks for the share!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have to know your budget to make any recommendations. Does she want a solitaire?? What style ring and diamond does she want?

senorvodka

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your response!

Well when we were looking at rings and bands a few months ago, we both agreed that a more simple look was better on her so that is why I was looking at solitaire. Diamond is definitely round.

I was trying to keep the budget at below 15K as I just bought her a car and am in the middle of buying a house too, but I can go higher if the rock is a just amazing.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay that's great if she agreed that she wants a solitaire with a round stone. And 15K is for the diamond and ring or just the diamond?

senorvodka

Rough_Rock
For the diamond and ring but I was planning on doing a 14K white gold ring so the pricing on that shouldnt be too high I think.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you already have the setting picked out? Any reason why 14K white gold? Just getting more info is all.

Here are a couple of options. For the JA stones, ask for an Idealscope or ASET image. The crown angles are a bit borderline but could be totally fine. The IS or ASET will confirm.

You have a really nice budget. Your parameters are pretty wide, so I might narrow them down. For example there will be a huge price difference between a 1.25 carat I SI1 stone and a 1.8 carat G VS2 stone. I looked in the middle so to speak. The WF stone is an example of a cream of the crop diamond with all the performance images for you to look at. If you narrow down your wishes a bit more I can do some more looking for you. Have you seen an I diamond before? Is your GF very color sensitive?

Will you be wanting to buy the setting with the same vendor as the diamond?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.70-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1045142

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.64-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-442562

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3684608.htm

senorvodka

Rough_Rock
JDDN|1467926030|4052755 said:
Do you already have the setting picked out? Any reason why 14K white gold? Just getting more info is all.

Here are a couple of options. For the JA stones, ask for an Idealscope or ASET image. The crown angles are a bit borderline but could be totally fine. The IS or ASET will confirm.

You have a really nice budget. Your parameters are pretty wide, so I might narrow them down. For example there will be a huge price difference between a 1.25 carat I SI1 stone and a 1.8 carat G VS2 stone. I looked in the middle so to speak. The WF stone is an example of a cream of the crop diamond with all the performance images for you to look at. If you narrow down your wishes a bit more I can do some more looking for you. Have you seen an I diamond before? Is your GF very color sensitive?

Will you be wanting to buy the setting with the same vendor as the diamond?

No I dont have a setting picked out but I really do like something simple like:

https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-six-prong-knife-edged-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-22590

Also something like this that I saw from a previous post on here, though this one is platinum.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/the-gabriella-six-prong-solitaire

I was choosing white Gold because I figured it was more about the rock than the band. I dont want to go 18K because of scratching whereas 14K is more durable. Platinum isnt necessary asI would rather just have a nicer stone.

I am not sure if she is color sensitive but I can tell an I from a clearer diamond, whereas I think an H is pretty good. I am not against getting an I when I can sacrafice for better cut, inclusion placements, and size. :)

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

cjhom

Rough_Rock
You can trust IDJ to find you a fairly priced and beautiful ring! Just make sure they know you want a pricescope quality stone and they'll take care of the rest.

senorvodka

Rough_Rock
JDDN|1467945981|4052856 said:
14K white gold is fine, but you will need to re-dip the ring periodically and over time you may need to re-do the prongs.

Oh I didnt know this. Wow great to know! So then I can with the platinum. Any drawbacks to platinum?

JDDN|1467945981|4052856 said:
If you don't want to get a Hearts and Arrows diamond, calling IDJ and giving him your preferences will be a great choice. He will call in stones for you and give you IS images which is great. He can also get a ton of settings so you won't have problems there.

Here's one of my favorite rings:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thank-you-brian-gavin-im-in-love.199562/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thank-you-brian-gavin-im-in-love.199562/[/URL]

That's pretty nice.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first link could be okay, but I would get an IS image since the crown angle is on the border. Also you must ask if the strong fluorescence makes the diamond hazy or milky even the slightest bit. The second link I don't like due to the angles and I don't like the look of that SI1.

Any reason you are going up to VVS2?

Platinum drawbacks to some are that over time it develops a patina. Some like it, some don't. It doesn't affect the durability though. Many here request Plat900/IR or Plat/Ru. Most use Plat950/IR which tends to scratch more easily and hence more of that patina. VC uses Plat900/IR, Tiffany uses Plat/Ru.

senorvodka

Rough_Rock
JDDN|1468012632|4053321 said:
The first link could be okay, but I would get an IS image since the crown angle is on the border. Also you must ask if the strong fluorescence makes the diamond hazy or milky even the slightest bit. The second link I don't like due to the angles and I don't like the look of that SI1.

Any reason you are going up to VVS2?

Platinum drawbacks to some are that over time it develops a patina. Some like it, some don't. It doesn't affect the durability though. Many here request Plat900/IR or Plat/Ru. Most use Plat950/IR which tends to scratch more easily and hence more of that patina. VC uses Plat900/IR, Tiffany uses Plat/Ru.

No not really. It jsut happened that they were VVS2. I was jsut browsing through the stuff yesterday and I thought the measurements were ok.

So what type of band do you recommend? 18K white gold then? But I thought it scratches easy because of the softness.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I recommend platinum. It's durable and non-fussy. You can request one of the alloys I posted as those will be less likely to scratch and develop a patina.

senorvodka

Rough_Rock
Thanks again. So I am gonna look into Platinum then. I am thinking about going to IDJ this week, should I check out Brilliantly engaged while I am there too?

Does it make more sense to go through these vendors rather than trying to pick out the stone from websites like JA and WF?

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
_37342.jpg

My 1.5 ct H/VS2 in Vatché U113 (similar to Tiffany classic setting). Size 4.5 finger. I think the size is just perfect (admittedly, I feel like I could go larger, but I love this one too!). My ring is from IDJ.

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
Just giving you another example for size comparison.

Size 4.5 and 1.81 ct.

Diamond was sourced at Good Old Gold and the setting was made by Mark Morrell.

image_510.jpg

senorvodka

Rough_Rock
Both of those look amazing! Thanks for sharing!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going to IDJ is a great idea, ask for Yekutiel and tell him you've been on PS. I would personally not go to BE due to some recent experiences retold here on PS. But it's up to you of course!

senorvodka

Rough_Rock
I went to go see IDJ and here the diamond that they selected for me. I thought they did a pretty good job. The hearts seem slightly off though. What do you guys think?

2227365352_1.jpg
gia_222736352-officelight_black-01.jpg
gia_222736352-idealscope-01.jpg
gia_222736352-hearts-01.jpg
gia_222736352-aset_white-01.jpg
gia_222736352-aset_black__fancy_-01.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GORGEOUS!!!! :love: :love: :love:

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
It's gorgeous and has almost the exact same angles/etc as my 1.51 H/VS2 from IDJ!

Edited to add: the hearts don't look quite as perfect as you'd get if you went with a super ideal like Crafted By Infinity, Whiteflash, BGD but I don't think it's anything you'll notice with the naked eye (remember, the hearts image is obtained looking from the bottom of the stone - an angle that is not visible once set). Presumably, IDJs price is lower than those places would be, as well.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a killer diamond. Although the hearts aren't perfect, they are pretty close. But light performance and sparkle will be amazing in this stone. That is what the IS and ASET are telling you 8) .

Did Yekutiel help you with a setting?

senorvodka

Rough_Rock
Yes I met with him and Shulie yesterday. I had called them during their vacation time and she had called me back on Monday. They were both so nice and awesome. Very glad that I stopped by in person.

As for the setting, I showed Yekutiel what I was looking for and he is going to make me something close to 6 prong style that I am that I am looking for. The only bad thing is that all their casters are not around right now so he cant get it done in the timeline that I was hoping for.

You all have been great by the way with a special kudos to JDDN for responding so much. I am really excited to see how this turns out.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome, I'm so glad things worked out and that they found you a great diamond. Bummer that the ring won't be finished when you want, hopefully it doesn't spoil the proposal plans.

We're excited to see how it turns out too! Come back and post photos of the ring and hand shots after you propose 8) ::) . I imagine it'll be gorgeous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results