shape
carat
color
clarity

Six prongs - how are they set?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

echelon6

Shiny_Rock
Can someone explain to me how a setter goes about setting a 6 prong setting?

Do they bend all the prongs onto the diamond, or do they bend all but one in position first, insert the diamond, then bend the last prong over the diamond? Is it normal to have all but one prong tip not touching the diamond''s crown facets?

echelon6

Shiny_Rock
*bump*

Anyone?

vivianv

Shiny_Rock
I have no idea how they set them but in my six prong setting all the prongs touch the facets.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

They will cut a notch near the tip of each prong the same shape as the pavilion of the stone. This is called the seat. They will then bend down the top of each prong to touch the crown. They will reshape the tips of each prong so they match one another for length, shape, etc. and lastly they will clean up all of the tool marks left over from the above steps.

All prong tips should touch the crown of the stone and the seat should touch the pavilion. Errors at this are common. It’s also common to snag the tip of the prong on something that will lift it up or pull the prong back slightly, which looks sort of the same.

Sometimes the repair for this is easy and sometimes it’s a serious pain. It will depend on the details. If the problem is that the seat wasn’t cut properly it requires removing the stone to fix, if the problem is the tip has been pulled back they can simply tighten it down by pushing on the tip with a small tool.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

echelon6

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Neil, I can always count on you to give a clear answer!

Re pushing the prong tips down to touch the crown - how do they do this? Wouldn''t metal memory prevent actual touching from occurring? i.e. it will always spring back up slightly as you move closer to the crown?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It depends on the metal involved. One of the nice features of platinum is that it has no metal memory and so it’s really easy to do this. Some metals, like 18k white are definitely springy and it can be a nuisance but most jewelry metals aren’t all that springy. You just work at it. It’s easier the first time because the prongs are softer. If it’s the right kind of piece and everything is work hardened from wear you can anneal it but there are obviously designs and components where this isn’t going to be a choice.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver

echelon6

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Neil!

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/3/2007 9:40:12 AM
Author: echelon6
Re pushing the prong tips down to touch the crown - how do they do this? Wouldn't metal memory prevent actual touching from occurring? i.e. it will always spring back up slightly as you move closer to the crown?

Thanks for asking, echelon - I've always wondered the same thing. Thanks for the answer Neil.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/3/2007 9:40:12 AM
Thanks Neil, I can always count on you to give a clear answer!

Re pushing the prong tips down to touch the crown - how do they do this? Wouldn''t metal memory prevent actual touching from occurring? i.e. it will always spring back up slightly as you move closer to the crown?
Platinum is easy - it does not push back. Palladium based white golds are the same.
Nickel white and yellow gold''s have some memory and often clients will complain or stone rattling and the prongs need a little extra tightening after a few months.

In the middle of our little video on my new site there is a stone setting scene
http://www.hollowaydiamonds.com.au/outshine-the-film/

echelon6

Shiny_Rock
Garry, I see you''ve changed the name of your business and the look of your site - very nicely done!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/4/2007 2:47:39 AM
Garry, I see you''ve changed the name of your business and the look of your site - very nicely done!
Yes E, precious metals hardly decribes what we do these days
1.gif

echelon6

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/4/2007 3:28:30 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Date: 11/4/2007 2:47:39 AM

Yes E, precious metals hardly decribes what we do these days
1.gif

When I first saw your site 6 months ago I thought you were some sort of commodities broker or exchange!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results