shape
carat
color
clarity

Six or Eight Prongs for 7mm Stone?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've decided to reset this spinel, this setting is cool but just not for me. I can't decide if I should reset into six or eight prongs? Is eight too many you think? These are the settings I'm looking at from Stuller, the first setting I showed in white gold (because that's the color I would get) and rose because you get the profile and the top down view.

I like the eight prof setting but obviously the gallery is much simpler which but not sure about so many prongs. The last picture is the fanciest choice obviously but not sure about wearing a band with that one.

Which one would you go with?

IMG_6554.JPG

IMG_6562.jpg IMG_6569.jpg

IMG_6567.jpg

IMG_6568.jpg

IMG_6563.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like 8. I find, at least based on these pics, that 6 makes it look more like a hexagon and 8 looks more flowery. I like the fancy choice too, it depends on how important it is to you to wear it with a band.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @NKOTB, I can see what you mean about the six prongs looking more like a hexagon. I will be happy to have more prongs, four doesn't seem like enough.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for the 8 prong but it's got a small floral halo going on too. And I'd halo just about anything that is coloured :whistle::whistle::whistle::lol::lol::lol:

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That 8 prong setting has made it to my short list, every single time I've tried to decide on a setting. The main reason I usually end up not going for it, is because it looks like it might not sit flush with a band. I really like it, though. I like the other two as well, though not as much as the 8 prong. In fact, I've considered both of them, too! Great minds think alike, and all that. :mrgreen2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's too funny @natasha-cupcake, I really like the flowery looking one, it gives me that Dahlia feel I like so much from CVB.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both settings are really pretty.
What will you do with the old setting? You could change out the stone. It would be a cool pendant!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bron has said she would like the setting so I will give her first right of refusal. I have a love hate relationship with the setting because the stone is smaller than it should be for the cup (not sure if that's the right term) that it sits in, so you end up with this metal lip around the stone. Kind of reminds me of a bezel and you know how adverse I am to bezels! :lol:

I just need to pick a setting so I know the budget and then wait for some stuff to sell on Ebay before I pull the trigger.

In classic DH form when we went to the pawn shop today he turned to me and asked "didn't you just get that ring?" :whistle:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the last two settings better. I'd personally probably prefer 6 prongs on a 7mm stone so it's easier to clean. I do like the halo effect on the last one with a colored stone.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Exciting! I like the first one best with the six prongs. I like how detailed it is, very pretty and vintage. I do like 8 prongs but maybe for a slightly bigger stone. I also think the 8 prong settings look more modern, particularly the last one. That’s not necessarily a bad thing of course.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the last picture, 6 prongs.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all the thoughts so far on this reset. I am leaning more towards the last setting with the little halo just because when I was thinking of resetting my OEC that was a setting I immediately liked.

This may not be news to anyone but Stuller has a lab diamond option with F color and if I remember right VS1 clarity, this option is less expensive than the natural diamonds which I would I would upgrade anyways. Nothing worse than a beautiful setting with some poor quality diamonds even if they are small.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like both of them. In case you are thinking 8 prongs is too many on a 7 mm stone... I have the stuller 8-prong earring settings for several pairs of 4 mm stones and I don’t find them to be too much. Just make sure the person you have set it can do finer tips rather than bulkier tips... if I had prong tips like on my engagement ring, 8 prongs would absolutely be too much.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the reason to shop around when ordering a Stuller setting.

For the first setting in white and rose gold:

Jeweler in town: $777
Jeweler out of town $600 plus tax

For the last floral halo ring:

Jeweler in town $1100
Jeweler out of town $950

:geek2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay here I am back again, driving myself crazy now with picking a setting and starting to think simpler may be better. I was looking at this one which I know a lot of PS'ers have:

The shank on this one is a millimeter thinner than the floral halo and I think that may look better on me since I have meaty fingers (seriously why is lipo for fingers not a thing?). Obviously super simple but will the spinel be able to hold its own in a solitaire setting? Also white gold with this color spinel correct?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results