shape
carat
color
clarity

Singlestone Makayla owners

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
How do you all clean this ring with the oxidized silver, they said not to get it wet to preserve the antiquing over time but how would one do this when you are going to be doing everyday activities like hand washing, etc? I mean I could avoid hand sanitizer but how would you overall avoid water? And what is safe to clean it with?

Thanks!!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were you, I'd reach out to Single Stone directly and ask for their cleaning recommendations for your specific band. You may also want to ask them if the band typically requires re-oxidation and what that may entail in terms of cost etc.

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
If I were you, I'd reach out to Single Stone directly and ask for their cleaning recommendations for your specific band. You may also want to ask them if the band typically requires re-oxidation and what that may entail in terms of cost etc.

I did and they basically said not to get it wet but I just don't see how I can really do that over time, they did not really give any cleaning recommendations. They did say it could be redone but I did not really inquire about cost. Was just wondering what others with this piece were doing in real life.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didn’t someone say they refresh the silver antiquing as needed with an egg and a sandwich baggie
Not specifically for a Makayla, but a siilver ring w/ oxidation.
Gosh I wish I had a makayla so I could be in the same boat as you.
I do have a silver oxidized piece from Sako and I think I will try the egg baggie thingy before I send it to him for refreshing - when it’s needed.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
You can buy liver of Sulphur from bead shops and blacken yourself.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I clean my Makayla often with dawn and water and it's fine. I can't believe they told you not to get it wet - how impractical! Silver is very easy to tarnish - a hard boiled egg in a plastic bag for a few hours. I have done this on all my silver over gold pieces and it works great!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Weird.

Below is a screenshot of Single Stone's jewelry cleaning recommendations -- the last 2 sentences of Step 3 pertain to oxidized pieces.

1661391511587.png

FWIW on the Single Stone website it says Jewelry Cleaner 6oz is included with purchase of the Makayla -- https://www.singlestone.com/products/makayla-band?_pos=1&_sid=d01d6fda0&_ss=r -- hopefully you received it.

Per Single Stone: "Our ammonia-free Gentle Jewelry Cleaner is safe to use on all types of gemstones and metals, while effectively removing germs, grime, and oils without agitation. Includes dipping basket and touch-up brush." https://www.singlestone.com/products/gentle-jewelry-cleaner

Hope this is helpful!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I needed to darken my solitaire so I took some photos. I tried to get the lighting the same but that's always difficult. You might not can see a difference in the clusters or the Makayla because they already had a pretty dark patina. The solitaire gets cleaned daily though so it was getting light. The after (right) is darker after only 10 minutes with the egg. The longer, the darker. Similar to the oxidation process with liver of sulfur that jewelers use, oxidation also occurs when the silver reacts with hydrogen sufilde (rotten egg smell).

A big plus that my pups get a nice treat afterwards :lol: GridArt_20220824_214155574.jpg

20220824_213004.jpg

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
I clean my Makayla often with dawn and water and it's fine. I can't believe they told you not to get it wet - how impractical! Silver is very easy to tarnish - a hard boiled egg in a plastic bag for a few hours. I have done this on all my silver over gold pieces and it works great!

Thank you I was hoping you'd reply with what you've been doing

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Weird.

Below is a screenshot of Single Stone's jewelry cleaning recommendations -- the last 2 sentences of Step 3 pertain to oxidized pieces.

1661391511587.png

FWIW on the Single Stone website it says Jewelry Cleaner 6oz is included with purchase of the Makayla -- https://www.singlestone.com/products/makayla-band?_pos=1&_sid=d01d6fda0&_ss=r -- hopefully you received it.

Per Single Stone: "Our ammonia-free Gentle Jewelry Cleaner is safe to use on all types of gemstones and metals, while effectively removing germs, grime, and oils without agitation. Includes dipping basket and touch-up brush." https://www.singlestone.com/products/gentle-jewelry-cleaner

Hope this is helpful!

Thank you, guess I missed this on the site, when I got the band something gave me question on how to care for it so I emailed and they said not to get it wet and specifically not to use any cleaners with chemicals. I did get the cleaner with it, not my first bottle of it as I've purchased before and the one they use says it's a gentle cleaner even safe for pearls.

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
I needed to darken my solitaire so I took some photos. I tried to get the lighting the same but that's always difficult. You might not can see a difference in the clusters or the Makayla because they already had a pretty dark patina. The solitaire gets cleaned daily though so it was getting light. The after (right) is darker after only 10 minutes with the egg. The longer, the darker. Similar to the oxidation process with liver of sulfur that jewelers use, oxidation also occurs when the silver reacts with hydrogen sufilde (rotten egg smell).

A big plus that my pups get a nice treat afterwards :lol: GridArt_20220824_214155574.jpg

20220824_213004.jpg

So it seems that for you the Makayla oxidation has not really changed despite the fact that you have been using Dawn and water to clean it? Gorgeous pieces btw!

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
This is so weird to think about for me! Thinking that I may need to protect this piece to save the blackening but all that old Tiffany and DY silver I have and I likely couldn't remove all the darkening on it if I tried :confused2:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so weird to think about for me! Thinking that I may need to protect this piece to save the blackening but all that old Tiffany and DY silver I have and I likely couldn't remove all the darkening on it if I tried :confused2:

I polish my silver (housewares, not jewelry) monthly. The tarnish builds up just being in air. It doesn't come off with just soap and water. It takes silver polish or aluminum foil to remove it. So I don't worry too much about cleaning oxidized silver over gold jewelry with soap and water. And it's easy to reoxidize if needed.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Gussie, can you please tell me how you clean silver using aluminum foil? I have a few crystal powder powder jars with silver tops that tarnish quickly.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Gussie, can you please tell me how you clean silver using aluminum foil? I have a few crystal powder powder jars with silver tops that tarnish quickly.

Line the bottom of a pan with aluminum foil. Place the silver pieces so that they are touching the foil. Add a couple of drops of dish soap and enough water to cover the pieces. Bring to a boil. The tarnish comes off pretty quickly. Note - this method removes all patina so I don't use it with antique silver.

Happy polishing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results