shape
carat
color
clarity

Singapore Wedding Gift?

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know we have some PSers in Singapore, so I thought I'd do a quick post seeking advice. I have a colleague in Singapore. We work for the same company. I'd like to send him a wedding gift. Is there any traditional type of wedding gift that might be appropriate? As far as I understand, they are not having a big wedding, just close family. Any ideas as to what might be appropriate?

ETA: I should add -- if the answer is that no, there is no specific tradition, then any ideas for what I should send as a gift, in general, to a business associate. I do not know him particularly well, so it is a bit difficult. I'm great at buying gifts off of registries or putting money in an envelope, but sending a thoughtful gift to someone I don't know so well is, well, a bit more difficult for me.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Money, definitely money, in a "hong pao" (red packet). Is there any way you can find out how much your other colleagues are giving him? I'd give more or less the same amount.

I've been to a few weddings whereby I (alone or with DH) gave red packets. When you attend, you def give money. And even when you don't, you still give but a lower amount (the latter, I'm not 100% sure. I hope some other SG PS'ers will chime in). Are you attending/ have been invited to the wedding?

ETA: I just re-read and realise that it's going to be a small family wedding. There *might* not be a need for you to give a red packet, but I'd still give a red packet if your other colleagues are doing the same.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Phoenix,

Thank you so much for your reply. No, I haven't been invited to the wedding. They will get married at some sort of registration office (can't remember the exact name, but my understanding was that there would not be a ceremony, just him and his wife at this office) followed by a dinner with family. No one else will be giving a gift, I'm sure. It is a big company, and I don't even know anyone else who might work with him. I hesitated to state this earlier, because it seems somehow unseemly, but I will admit I probably wouldn't have thought of sending him a gift, except for the fact that he sent me a very nice gift for my daughter after she was born. I wouldn't say I feel obligated to send a gift (that's the part that seems unseemly), but that I was touched by his generosity and would also like to send him something nice to celebrate this special time in his life. We do not work together frequently, so I was surprised by his gift, but also really touched by his thoughtfulness!

Though I love the traditional nature of the hong pao (and that's certainly what I asked for), I would feel awkward about it.

I had a brilliant idea as I was typing this . . . they will honeymoon in the US. What if I bought them dinner? It would be really nice to have something for them at the desk when they check-in. I could probably ask him which hotel without too much trouble as they are going to Las Vegas and the hotels there are certainly a topic of conversation, as opposed to say, a hotel in NYC. The only problem with this plan is that it sounds as though they are honeymooning a few months after they get married, and I'd hate to wait that long.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like your idea of buying them a dinner on their honeymoon, but understand what you are saying about the long wait.... Hm....

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loves Vintage|1308065534|2945570 said:
Hi Phoenix,

Thank you so much for your reply. No, I haven't been invited to the wedding. They will get married at some sort of registration office (can't remember the exact name, but my understanding was that there would not be a ceremony, just him and his wife at this office) followed by a dinner with family. No one else will be giving a gift, I'm sure. It is a big company, and I don't even know anyone else who might work with him. I hesitated to state this earlier, because it seems somehow unseemly, but I will admit I probably wouldn't have thought of sending him a gift, except for the fact that he sent me a very nice gift for my daughter after she was born. I wouldn't say I feel obligated to send a gift (that's the part that seems unseemly), but that I was touched by his generosity and would also like to send him something nice to celebrate this special time in his life. We do not work together frequently, so I was surprised by his gift, but also really touched by his thoughtfulness!

Though I love the traditional nature of the hong pao (and that's certainly what I asked for), I would feel awkward about it.

I had a brilliant idea as I was typing this . . . they will honeymoon in the US. What if I bought them dinner? It would be really nice to have something for them at the desk when they check-in. I could probably ask him which hotel without too much trouble as they are going to Las Vegas and the hotels there are certainly a topic of conversation, as opposed to say, a hotel in NYC. The only problem with this plan is that it sounds as though they are honeymooning a few months after they get married, and I'd hate to wait that long.

Hmmm...I see. It was very thoughtful of him, and it's very sweet of you to want to give him and his new wife a gift too. Lemme ask my Singaporean friends (if you don't mind) and see what they suggest.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results