shape
carat
color
clarity

Simon Cowell - Speechless [well, almost]

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
And a related article:
""American Idol" isn''t the only launching pad for aspiring singers. Across the pond, "Britain''s Got Talent" scored a huge boost in the Buzz after an unassuming contestant gave an amazing performance.

Susan Boyle (remember that name) became a Web phenomenon after singing "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Miserables. The performance brought the audience to its feet and left the judges (including Simon Cowell) either speechless or in tears.

Before going on stage, Ms. Boyle admitted some self-deprecating facts about herself (she''s never been kissed and lives alone with her cat, Pebbles). For those reasons and more, audiences were expecting the female William Hung. They were wrong.

Lookups on the sudden star posted huge gains. A no-name just the other day, Ms. Boyle quickly surged into our top 5,000 overall searches. Blogs and gossip rags went wild. The Mirror jumped on the story, reporting that while Ms. Boyle thought she "looked like a garage" on TV, she received a standing ovation when she showed up at her local church.

Other sources write that as a child, Ms. Boyle was the target of bullies because of a disability. But, with her newfound fame, she is getting the last laugh. In fact, she''s already meeting with officials from Mr. Cowell''s Sony BMG label. This may have been the first you''ve heard of her, but it certainly won''t be the last. You can watch her performance below... "

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
That''s so cool! I love how at its worst, shows like this are dreadful examples of the public''s thirst for pageantry and public humiliation, but at their best, they can be amazing opportunities for talented individuals who might not have had them otherwise.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A truly amazing, heartwarming performance. . . what a talent! I wish her great things equal to her gift of song. Stunning!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually have tears in my eyes. Thank you for posting that DB!

I love how quickly the audience realized that they had totally, totally misjudged her. I hope this is the beginning of something wonderful for her.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
A lot of it is to do with the element of surprise. I have to laugh a bit with stuff like this (the Potts guy was the last good example that I remember, and the little Over the Rainbow girl as well). They look unlikely to be good, have a sort of funny personality, etc. Give them a famously moving piece to sing (we've had Over the Rainbow, I Dreamed a Dream and Nessun Dorma from these three), and the element of surprise handles the rest.

I do doubt that Cowell (or any of the other judges, most likely) actually felt speechless after or moved by her performance - they just spied (or were cued about) a good PR contestant. If Miss Boyle had been drop-dead gorgeous, she'd never have made it through the preliminary rounds of that show.
2.gif

I'm not saying she's not a good singer, she is. But she is by no stretch of the imagination a great singer - certainly enough to incite that strong a reaction.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 10:23:55 PM
Author: musey
I''m not saying she''s not a good singer, she is. But she is by no stretch of the imagination a great singer - certainly enough to incite that strong a reaction.
I agree about the element of surprise contributing to the phenomenon ... but I disagree about the legitimacy of their reactions to her or that she is merely a "good" singer. There was a full, rich tone & quality to her voice that is the stuff of great opera stars & the very best stage musical singers. I think its remarkable to have that quality without years & years of training.

Re: the judges. I don''t think they get clued in ... kinda like how Oprah doesn''t watch the packages on her show before the audience does, so she can react to them on air. The chick judge totally had tears in her eyes. I say legit. But that''s JMHO.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 10:30:49 PM
Author: decodelighted

I''m not saying she''s not a good singer, she is. But she is by no stretch of the imagination a great singer - certainly enough to incite that strong a reaction.
I agree about the element of surprise contributing to the phenomenon ... but I disagree about the legitimacy of their reactions to her or that she is merely a ''good'' singer. There was a full, rich tone & quality to her voice that is the stuff of great opera stars & the very best stage musical singers. I think its remarkable to have that quality without years & years of training.

Re: the judges. I don''t think they get clued in ... kinda like how Oprah doesn''t watch the packages on her show before the audience does, so she can react to them on air. The chick judge totally had tears in her eyes. I say legit. But that''s JMHO.
I think by now they can possibly guess the formula, but they don''t know for sure until the person opens his/her mouth. This does remind me of the opera singer guy who ended up winning. I think his voice (judging by his initial performance) seemed a little better than hers, but I agree that she has the stuff to make a pretty darned good singer with training. Her voice and control is impressive (to my untrained ear) for a total amateur.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not saying she's not a good singer, she is. But she is by no stretch of the imagination a great singer - certainly enough to incite that strong a reaction.
I agree about the element of surprise contributing to the phenomenon ... but I disagree about the legitimacy of their reactions to her or that she is merely a 'good' singer. There was a full, rich tone & quality to her voice that is the stuff of great opera stars & the very best stage musical singers. I think its remarkable to have that quality without years & years of training.
I know I'm a tougher critic than most because of my own experience and training, but I have known many singers personally that are leaps and bounds higher quality than this woman (better pitch and breath control, larger range, superior tone, etc.) - some of them trained, some of them not. This type of show is the best kind of venue for a singer of her level, as she is judged and pushed through by viewers, not industry professionals.

Re: the judges. I don't think they get clued in ... kinda like how Oprah doesn't watch the packages on her show before the audience does, so she can react to them on air. The chick judge totally had tears in her eyes. I say legit. But that's JMHO.
I can't speak for this show as I don't know their process, but if it's anything like American idol, they know exactly what to expect before the contestant even walks out to sing.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 10:39:36 PM
Author: TravelingGal
I agree about the element of surprise contributing to the phenomenon ... but I disagree about the legitimacy of their reactions to her or that she is merely a ''good'' singer. There was a full, rich tone & quality to her voice that is the stuff of great opera stars & the very best stage musical singers. I think its remarkable to have that quality without years & years of training.

I think by now they can possibly guess the formula, but they don''t know for sure until the person opens his/her mouth. This does remind me of the opera singer guy who ended up winning. I think his voice (judging by his initial performance) seemed a little better than hers, but I agree that she has the stuff to make a pretty darned good singer with training. Her voice and control is impressive (to my untrained ear) for a total amateur.
I think so too, but I still don''t think good = great. There are so many great singers in this world that don''t even get through round 1 of those types of auditions. It''s just hard for me to watch someone like that and guess with a fair amount of certainty that she will have a record deal by this time next year, while all the great singers of the world get ignored because they don''t have something otherwise notable about them. The music industry is a different monster than it was 50-100 years ago...

But then, it''s all a moot point - if she can sell records, she can sell records. Whether its based on the merit of her voice or not doesn''t really matter, especially not to record companies.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
She is good not great, but with training she can get there. I can see her doing opera/broadway type stuff.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The "story" is a huge part of these shows. If it weren't, why not just put it on the radio or hide the performers behind a screen as you would in an audition? These reality shows aren't an audition, however... they're entertainment. And Musey, I agree with you that the element of surprise was a huge part of the audience reaction, but I don't have a problem with that. The first impression she made here worked in her favor here. I suspect it's worked against her as often as not, just as other singers have benefitted, or not, from their looks. This surprise triumph gives her an opportunity, but that's all it'll be if she doesn't have or develop the chops to back it up.

I don't watch AI much because I tend to pick the performances apart too. And I agree this was not a "10." She faded on the low notes, one or two of the high notes were not particularly attractive, and her voice overall is less than angelic. But I think that was a good first performance. I'd also rather listen to a less than perfect song like that, than to a diva-esque performance song sung entirely in a performer's safety zone (as in most renditions of "I will always love you"), or to a performance full of scripted emotions.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I loved her! I sent this to my mom earlier today. I thought she had a great voice. I''m a huge Les Miserables fan and honestly, if I closed my eyes, it could have been the 10th anniversary concert they did at the Royal Albert Hall. I hope she wins the show!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 10:52:31 PM

I think so too, but I still don''t think good = great. There are so many great singers in this world that don''t even get through round 1 of those types of auditions. It''s just hard for me to watch someone like that and guess with a fair amount of certainty that she will have a record deal by this time next year, while all the great singers of the world get ignored because they don''t have something otherwise notable about them. The music industry is a different monster than it was 50-100 years ago...

But then, it''s all a moot point - if she can sell records, she can sell records. Whether its based on the merit of her voice or not doesn''t really matter, especially not to record companies.
Well, I''m all for it especially since you usually have to be *hot* to get a record deal. Most wants to sell sexiness and there are plenty attractive women/men who can''t really sing who have deals. So if she can make it by being notably frumpy and surprising, I say woot woot!

fleur.de.lys.88

Rough_Rock

Deleted. I was going to say something else but it's pointless.

36.gif
to Susan Boyle. What a phenomenal performance. She should be extremely proud. The way she sang it was far better than I've ever heard, live or recorded.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 12:51:46 AM
Author: fleur.de.lys.88

Deleted. I was going to say something else but it''s pointless.

36.gif
to Susan Boyle. What a phenomenal performance. She should be extremely proud. The way she sang it was far better than I''ve ever heard, live or recorded.
I was going to quote your post, but apparently you deleted it as I hit quote. Good for you for deleting it, because you are right, it was a completely pointless post.
20.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 1:03:23 AM
No, I''ve read quite a few of his and you, bar far, are the reigning queen. His are at least interesting and somewhat thought provoking. But hey, I guess you don''t get almost 9000 posts by being interesting and insightful.
LOL....

fdl88, you''ve read a lot in two days, have you?

fleur.de.lys.88

Rough_Rock
LOL is right! I guess because I signed up yesterday it''s the first day I found this site? And apparently the first day I''ve read it too? Interesting concept. Hmm!

Now I see why you have the avatar you do, banging one''s head against the wall would be far more interesting than carrying on a "conversation" with you.
37.gif

Nighty night.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 1:14:39 AM
LOL is right! I guess because I signed up yesterday it''s the first day I found this site? And apparently the first day I''ve read it too? Interesting concept. Hmm!

Now I see why you have the avatar you do, banging one''s head against the wall would be far more interesting than carrying on a ''conversation'' with you.
37.gif

Nighty night.
fdl, girl (?), chill out. Might want to read those forum policies about personal attacks.
20.gif

For the record, I said your POST was pointless. And I thought it was. Musey was completely entitled to her opinion as to whether Susan Boyle is a good singer vs a great singer. One does not have to be able to sing to be able to judge, although I agree that obviously people in the field would be more fine-tuned. I thought it was rather rude for you to suggest that she didn''t have the "rite" to judge if she couldn''t go up there to sing any better herself.

If you *have* read this site, you''d know that today was an exception to the rule about asking "pointless" DF style questions because he asked a "rerun."

Now, welcome to Pricescope and I hope you enjoy your stay.
41.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 12:15:18 AM

Well, I''m all for it especially since you usually have to be *hot* to get a record deal. Most wants to sell sexiness and there are plenty attractive women/men who can''t really sing who have deals. So if she can make it by being notably frumpy and surprising, I say woot woot!
Touche! I take zero issue with that.

She''s certainly better than many recording artists out there, I guess the only thing I was taking issue with (if you can call it that, really I was just a bit amused) was the overwhelming "she''s amazing" reaction. She''s not, to my ear, for many different reasons... but that''s of course subjective and dependent on one''s own taste and experience
1.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 1:24:32 AM

Date: 4/14/2009 12:15:18 AM

Touche! I take zero issue with that.

She''s certainly better than many recording artists out there, I guess the only thing I was taking issue with (if you can call it that, really I was just a bit amused) was the overwhelming ''she''s amazing'' reaction. She''s not, to my ear, for many different reasons... but that''s of course subjective and dependent on one''s own taste and experience
1.gif
I didn''t think she was amazing either. To me, she didn''t have the nuanced control that "great" singers have. But for an amateur, she was pretty impressive and those "nuances" usually don''t come without a lot of training.

Plus she seemed to sing those words with a lot of heart.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock

36.gif
to Susan Boyle. What a phenomenal performance. She should be extremely proud. The way she sang it was far better than I''ve ever heard, live or recorded.
Of course my interest was piqued by this, as usual
3.gif
I''m glad TGal filled in the blank for me so I knew what it was you were aiming my direction.

For the record, my criticism (again, if you can even call it that) is merely my opinion, based on my own background and experience (which you are unaware of). You likely don''t know much about me (or do you?) so I won''t bore you with details (or I could practice that "ego enhancement" everyone''s telling me to investigate and barrage you with some links and resume bits
3.gif
haha), but regardless of my own involvement with singing, I''ve never really understood the "if you can''t do better" argument. Does that mean that your opinion of her means nothing, as well? Or are you an accomplished singer and therefore fit to judge her as "phenomenal?" What about Simon Cowell (since he''s the subject of the thread, sort of) - is he unfit to judge her because he cant "do better?" Is his positive reaction to her performance therefore rendered meaningless?

Regardless, why does it matter whether I think she''s an above-average singer or not? Obviously I hold no sway in her future career, so my opinion should really not elicit more than a "really?! I completely disagree!" All art is completely subjective, and it is O.K. for people to disagree on issues of ''quality.''

Wait... are YOU Susan Boyle??
23.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 1:37:28 AM

36.gif
Of course my interest was piqued by this, as usual
3.gif
I''m glad TGal filled in the blank for me so I knew what it was you were aiming my direction.

For the record, my criticism (again, if you can even call it that) is merely my opinion, based on my own background and experience (which you are unaware of). You likely don''t know much about me (or do you?) so I won''t bore you with details (or I could practice that ''ego enhancement'' everyone''s telling me to investigate and barrage you with some links and resume bits
3.gif
haha), but regardless of my own involvement with singing, I''ve never really understood the ''if you can''t do better'' argument. Does that mean that your opinion of her means nothing, as well? Or are you an accomplished singer and therefore fit to judge her as ''phenomenal?'' What about Simon Cowell (since he''s the subject of the thread, sort of) - is he unfit to judge her because he cant ''do better?'' Is his positive reaction to her performance therefore rendered meaningless?

Regardless, why does it matter whether I think she''s an above-average singer or not? Obviously I hold no sway in her future career, so my opinion should really not elicit more than a ''really?! I completely disagree!'' All art is completely subjective, and it is O.K. for people to disagree on issues of ''quality.''

Wait... are YOU Susan Boyle??
23.gif
LOL. Maybe she sees her potential future fortune and has come here to shop for some bling.

And fld88''s words were that she was not a great singer, but fantastic. Which obviously trumps over your assessment of "good."

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 1:30:35 AM
I didn't think she was amazing either. To me, she didn't have the nuanced control that 'great' singers have. But for an amateur, she was pretty impressive and those 'nuances' usually don't come without a lot of training.

Yeah, I guess for me and from my own past experience there were a lot of factors outside her control (nerves = emotion, the music itself as it is written = hard to mess up that song unless you're on par with William Hung or Wing, element of surprise) that played to her favor under the circumstances, and a lot more factors within her control (pitch control, dropped notes due to range limitations) that in the end balance out to a 'just good' performance. Bottom line being that I found myself making negative mental notes more often than positive ones.

I don't know if I'm beating a dead horse or not because I can't really tell (I seem to have misplaced my tact this evening), I'm just trying to explain (since it seems I'm supposed to justify my opinion - not to you TGal, you know what I mean) that my opinion doesn't come from nowhere. I've auditioned a lot of singers in my time, and done a lot of auditions myself, so I'm listening for different things than most others do.

I do have to say that it's unfortunate that our new friend has not heard a better performance of this song. With so many hundreds out there, it seems surprising... but like I said, everyone has their own tastes
1.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had tears in my eyes listening to her. Bless her heart.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 1:45:15 AM

Date: 4/14/2009 1:30:35 AM
I didn''t think she was amazing either. To me, she didn''t have the nuanced control that ''great'' singers have. But for an amateur, she was pretty impressive and those ''nuances'' usually don''t come without a lot of training.

Yeah, I guess for me and from my own past experience there were a lot of factors outside her control (nerves = emotion, the music itself as it is written = hard to mess up that song unless you''re William Hung or Wing) that played to her favor under the circumstances, and a lot more factors within her control (pitch control, dropped notes due to range limitations) that in the end balance out to a ''just good'' performance. I found myself making negative mental notes more often than positive ones.

I don''t know if I''m beating a dead horse or not because I can''t really tell (I seem to have misplaced my tact this evening), I''m just trying to explain (since it seems I''m supposed to justify my opinion - not to you TGal, you know what I mean) that my opinion doesn''t come from nowhere. I''ve auditioned a lot of singers in my time, and done a lot of auditions myself, so I''m listening for different things than most others do.

I do have to say that it''s unfortunate that our new friend has not heard a better performance of this song. With so many hundreds out there, it seems surprising... but like I said, everyone has their own tastes
1.gif
Obviously you don''t have to justify yourself to me Musey. I don''t know you well, but I''d reckon your voice is as sweet as your personality on PS.

Of course, that may be "utter crap." Hee hee.
11.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 1:50:01 AM
Obviously you don't have to justify yourself to me Musey. I don't know you well, but I'd reckon your voice is as sweet as your personality on PS.

Of course, that may be 'utter crap.' Hee hee.
11.gif
Haha!

How DARE you pre-judge my singing ability
29.gif
9.gif
3.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 1:54:00 AM

Date: 4/14/2009 1:50:01 AM
Obviously you don''t have to justify yourself to me Musey. I don''t know you well, but I''d reckon your voice is as sweet as your personality on PS.

Of course, that may be ''utter crap.'' Hee hee.
11.gif
Haha!

How DARE you pre-judge my singing ability
29.gif
9.gif
3.gif
Sorry Musey. It was what came to mind.
39.gif

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
She''s alright. I''m not super impressed. I know a few people that could blow it out better than that. Maybe it''s her tone I''m averse to.. -shrug-

I''ve took voice lessons from ages 6-18, and I''ve been in many choirs and shows, and I''ve heard this song sung COUNTLESS times. I even sang it once myself, but Susan Boyle is better suited to it than I am.
3.gif

AAAAAAAND then I started smoking and I can''t sing classically anymore. Well, maybe as an alto with average voice control, but not as a soprano 1 with great voice control.

BAH! Now that I''ve quit smoking I''m hoping I can train my voice back up to where it was.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 2:05:41 AM
Author: Feralpenchant
She''s alright. I''m not super impressed. I know a few people that could blow it out better than that. Maybe it''s her tone I''m averse to.. -shrug-

I''ve took voice lessons from ages 6-18, and I''ve been in many choirs and shows, and I''ve heard this song sung COUNTLESS times. I even sang it once myself, but Susan Boyle is better suited to it than I am.
3.gif

AAAAAAAND then I started smoking and I can''t sing classically anymore. Well, maybe as an alto with average voice control, but not as a soprano 1 with great voice control.

BAH! Now that I''ve quit smoking I''m hoping I can train my voice back up to where it was.
Hope so Feralpenchant...if you have a voice to be able to sing that song, it''s a gift indeed. I could clear the mold in my shower if I attempted it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results