shape
carat
color
clarity

SI2 Visible Carbon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Daisyma02

Rough_Rock
Hi I have a Question about a SI2 is it possible for a SI2 to have a Clearly Visible black Carbon mark at arms lenght or would this be a I-1 or I-2. Thanks

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
At arms length? Very short arms I hope! Just teasing, but no!! If you can indeed see an inclusion in an SI stone (GIA or AGS graded?), it should be fairly hard to detect with normal vision. Cindy

Daisyma02

Rough_Rock
Cindy Actually I have a long arm.. I attached a picture below, click on the paper clip. What kind of Jeweler would rate this a SI2? I could possible see this a legs length? Or am I jus being Picy?

si2not.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That mark is pretty visible. Also the stone has a bow-tie.

Daisyma02

Rough_Rock
Mara do you think this is a SI2?

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
I have a 1 carat with 1 black spot & it was graded an I1. I thought that any inclusion seen with the naked eye classified a diamond in the I1 or lower range. Could be wrong though.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
SI2's are not by definition eye clean. Grades are based on the number and positions of inclusions. A smaller SI2 graded diamond is likely to be eye clean. But larger diamonds, probably 1 ct and above can sometimes be graded SI2 by GIA or AGS and still not be eye clean. Very large stones can be graded VS2 and still not be eye clean... Basically, the larger you go the less likely you can be sure an SI graded diamond is eye clean without seeing it.

I don't know how big this diamond is, or who graded it, but if it was GIA or AGS it is most likely an accurate grade. My guess however, is it is not graded by one of those labs and should probably not be an SI2 grade.

Not a professional, just a little fun diamond smarts I have learned through my diamond searchs..

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
I found this SI2 description on jewelry1.com

SI2 - SLIGHTLY INCLUDED, POSSIBLY EYE VISIBLE
Inclusions are easily detected at 10x magnification; may have a slight effect on brilliance. Will be visible when viewed from top with naked eye in good light; should not be obvious when viewed under normal wearing conditions.

lacina

Shiny_Rock
Hi Daisy,
I would not call it an SI2.
Diamonds are graded as type one and in accordance to GIA standards SI2 can in deed have an eye visible inclusion , however it should be hardly noticeable to naked eye or not visible at all. Diamonds are also graded based on all inclusions present so untill you get it inspectet by qualified person, the grade is in question. Based on your picture I would grade it I2 this means the inclusion has prominent severe affect on appearance of the diamond. Hovever if this is the only one inclusion present the person that inspects it may call it an I1. No difference , it is still an inperfect clarity.
I have a 2.5 carat Fancy yellow diamond that has one single black carbon inclusion in it , however the inclusion is not visible under most lighting conditions. BUT it is visible by trained eye in low light from about 10 inches distance. GIA has issued the grade of SI2 for it . A huge factor in diamond grading is also the size of the stone. If the stone is .40 ct with Eye visible inclusion the grade can be even lower.
Best
George

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

Yes, it is pretty easy to see the inclusion. What lab did the report? I bet it isn't GIA or AGS. What kind of jeweler wouldsell this as an SI stone? Someone without a lot of cash flow and bad eyesight! Hopefully they have a good trade up policy. Cindy

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't classify it as an SI2...let us know if the diamond has a cert and what lab it comes from. I would say at least an I1 though it's a pretty big blur on the stone so maybe an I2!

Daisyma02

Rough_Rock
No Certificate at all with it. This is actually something my brother purchased on the internet for his Girlfriend for Valentines Day but in no way will give it to her. He was told it was a SI2 F. Which I thought would be a great Looking Diamond. I think he deserves a refund. I don't think any girl wants a Diamond with a Black spot in it like that. I sure wouldn't. Thanks for all the input on this. Daisy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results