shape
carat
color
clarity

Showering: How Long? Navy Shower or Hollywood Shower?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I came across the phrase "Navy Shower" the other day so I looked it up and found that it's a way of saving water by only running the shower when getting initially wet and rinsing off. You turn the water off for the soaping/scrubbing part.

Hilariously, there's a corresponding term called the Hollywood Shower, which means to have a long, lavish shower with the water running all the time. This reminds me of my friend who takes the longest showers ever. It's twenty minutes if she's not washing her hair and forty minutes if she is washing it. A forty-minute shower!!!

So I'm interested: are you a Hollywood showerer or a Navy showerer? I don't Navy but I am quick. I hate standing still for any length of time so I just shower for as long as it takes to wash. Maybe five-seven minutes, on the longer end if I'm washing my hair.

What about you? How long are your showers? Clean answers only, please. (Get the pun??)

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I googled it and found this: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskWomen/comments/2bqmsa/how_long_does_an_average_showerbath_take_you/

It's amazing how many people admit to 20-40 minute showers. And even more mysteriously, some of the answers say ten mins if not shaving legs but if doing so, then 30 mins. (Most of the replies are from women.) It takes 20 minutes to shave legs??? I give mine a quick swipe with a women's razor and it takes seconds. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong! :lol:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It takes me about 5 minutes or so.
Shampooing, shaving legs, the works. I don't like to waste water, if I can help it.
Besides, I'm always rushing in the morning to get out the door for work.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am in the shower for a max of 10, depending if I am using color conditioner or not.If not I probably need about 5 minutes total to get my hair washed/conditioned, and my face and body cleaned. I shower at night, unless it's a random long weekend and I have nothing planned. I hate for my hair to be wet during the day.

My routine is basically: cleansing oil on dry skin as the water is warming up (30sec) get in shower, emulsify the cleansing oil and rinse (10-15 sec), get hair wet and shampoo and rinse, apply conditioner to ends and work up towards top of head. Shave pits. Rinse conditioner. Squeeze water out of hair best as I can, spray in leave in conditioner on ends and lightly around mid and top. Comb through and clip up. Wash body with poufy thing. Rinse body. Wash face. Rinse face. FIN.

If I am using the color conditioner, I basically do that step and then shave my legs after my pits, then scrub my body down with one of those Salux scrub cloths with my body wash on it, kind of to kill 5 minutes of time and exfoliate, then might go back over a few spots with my razor that might be easier to shave after a scrub, then do a face scrub, then rinse, then use a regular conditioner to "seal" the color conditioner, then rinse, then use the spray conditioner like normal. Then wash my body again to get the conditioner off, then wash my face, then FINIS.

If I am doing a full on deep conditioner, like my Olaplex treatment (once every week to ten days) or a real color conditioner touch up (I do only once a month like this) I will get my hair wet really quickly with the showerhead, and then do the application at the sink so the shower isn't running. Then I work it through at the sink, let it soak with a showercap on for however long, anywhere from 10-30 minutes, then get in the shower like usual.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do Navy.
I was in the US Navy for six years and learned it in boot camp. :wavey:

A navy shower doesn't feel as good but you can get just as clean.
Once in a while I'll splurge and go 'Hollywood'. :o

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mostly Navy. I live in California! :tongue:

But - like Ame - hair...

I just did a bunch of hair "processes" and unfortunately that almost always involves lots of water.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1432403734|3880444 said:
Mostly Navy. I live in California! :tongue:

But - like Ame - hair...

I just did a bunch of hair "processes" and unfortunately that almost always involves lots of water.
Yes...it does. I do skip days with washes and use dry shampoo (Kevin Murphy usually) though so when I do that, I am in and out in like two minutes flat, if that. Just long enough to do the cleansing oil, wash my face and body and shave my underarms. I wear a shower cap to keep my hair dry.

But the days I wash, I've finally gotten it down to 5 minutes unless it's color conditioner touchup day. The deep touchup day I do the application and process out of the shower and then it's a quick shower routine for rinsing and I just shampoo quickly before I apply it. Olaplex day is a regular shower after I rinse. I have set timers so I can keep track and "train" myself to move more swiftly. I am doing that in the morning too because I got lax on my routines in the morning with putting hotrollers/curling my hair and started running up against the buzzer.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Turn on shower. Collect water in pail while water is warming up.
Move pail aside.
Jump in shower— wet, lather, rinse. No conditioner or fancy hair or skin treatments. 5 minutes max.
Take pail outside and water plants.

As you might guess I live in California and we are on water rationing.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I normally have the water on all the time, however, I take about 10min tops.

DK :))

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The two things in life I waste are water and napkins. The time from the water turning on including it warming up until I turn it off is about 12 minutes for a short shower, a normal one is right around 18 minutes, and a long one is over 30 minutes. I shower about 4-5 times a week and with a quick wash in the sink the other days.

I'm not a particularly messy eater I don't think but I also use napkins like they're going out of style. Wipe every couple of bites and wad the napkin up between wipes. I cannot sit for a meal without a napkin but I'm trying to cut back :(

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hollywood, but I make sure the water is being used on some part of the process as much as possible while I am doing something else (washing my face while rinsing my hair, etc). I shave my legs in the tub while running a little bit of water in it first.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Hollywood, up to 15 minutes when shampooing, but I use a very low-flow shower head, lots of pressure and very little water, and I have compared it to how much I would use taking a tub bath: about half!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Five minutes, no apologies. In the winter I only shower every other day. A Navy shower wouldn't work with our low flo fixtures because I'd waste more water trying to get it back to temp. than I would with just the multitasking I regularly do.

We don't have water rationing here, but I have lived in an area that did have it. We've drastically cut down on our gardening so that we don't need to do more than a bit of hand watering now. Mostly containers because they are small and easy. No lawn watering although we hardly have any grass in the front yard. The back yard grass is ridiculously robust without watering too.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I shower for about 30 minutes on average. If I'm in a hurry it'll be more like 15, and if I'm feeling badly it can easily be an hour.

I CAN get it done in less, but where's the fun in that?

I take a "Navy shower" if I'm in an area where water is scarce/rationed. If I only have cold water, I'll still do a full long shower - I'm not bothered by an ice cold shower as much as I am by a short shower, hah. I try to stay out of water-rationed places though because I see no point to existing if I can't have long showers. Like, no long showers? Might as well keel over and die right now cause there's nothing good left in this world.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe 10-15 minutes. I would NEVER shut off the water in between lathers. That sounds horrible and cold! So is there a term between Navy and Hollywood?

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A Fresno shower? :lol: :lol: :shock:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have HUGE water bills - what can I say.... :saint:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Neither.
I keep the water on. But I certainly don't take 20 minutes!

With conditioner and leg shaving MAYBE 15 minutes.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I take about 10 minutes in the shower with washing and conditioning my longish hair and shaving my legs and underarms. I guess I am efficient. LOL. But the water pressure in our homes is excellent and strong.

I usually wash my hair every day so that means I take 10 minutes showers everyday. Is that bad? I hope not because I need all 10 minutes. Plus we had to remove the water efficiency thingie in all the shower heads. That is one of the worst inventions ever IMO. If one has that thing in their shower head I can see why it would take 20 minutes plus to shower. The water pressure is ridiculously low with that in the shower head. Remove it and life will be sweeter.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a shower with numerous body jets and endless hot water (2 tanks baby! :lol: ) so yeah, I can easily take a 40 minute shower. If we didn't have body jets I would not be in so long. My office is in my basement so I never have to rush to work. I don't like to wash my hair in the shower (its a long story)

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before the drought, 20-30 minutes. I would sit and meditate in the shower for 10 minutes. The sound of the water and the warmth really helped me.

The drought has me down to 7 to 10 minutes. I know that isn't great, but it is the best I can do with my low flow shower head and long hair. Rinsing conditioner is a bear.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in for 8-10 minutes... I'm not a fan of long showers and I hate to soak in a tub, so I'm not filling the tub. Long showers heat up the bathroom where I blow dry my hair adding on to the heat from the shower.. I don't like getting dressed and doing make up while still tacky from a super hot long shower. I can be done "soup to nuts" in 25 minutes and that includes partially drying my hair. Clearly, I have issues. :-o

One exception..the shower is my favorite place for a good cry. It's clensing both inside and out and my face doesn't look as horrendous.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I'm doing nothing with my hair probably 10 minutes. If my hair is involved with this process easily 20 minutes.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I quite like being in the shower. I tend to take my time, since it's a small postponement of having to get dressed and actually go out to work. Especially in the winter. I've never timed it, but I'm guessing it's not Navy -length or anything close.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't shut the water off. Takes too long to warm up and our shower is weird in that it only warms if you turn it way to the hot side and then it gets WAY too hot so you have to turn it back. On/off would waste a lot of water.

That said, I can be in and out in 5 minutes with a hair wash/condition and 10 minutes if you add shave. Can manage faster than the 5 if I have to.

Get in, wet hair, shampoo hair, rinse hair, condition hair.
While conditioner sits: wash face, soap body, shave (if doing)
rinse hair
Done.

"A" is last in line to shower. She does anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour with water running. Even (especially) if there are people who have to shower after her. (and no, our hot water heater can't manage an hour of hot water and have any left for anyone else...)
Even on the days she does 15 minutes, she is in the bathroom for no less than an hour doing "face washing" :confused:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
10 minutes for shower, 3 times a day (washing hair once or twice daily). I always turn off the water when I put on shampoo and/ or shower gel.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe a minute to warm the water, then 5 - 10 ABSOLUTE max in the shower, water running the whole time. BUT - we have a low flow shower head as we are on a septic and well system, so our pressure is absolute drizzle, at best. Sad and pathetic shower situation, but water softener issues and minerals in the water, make it a less than Hollywood experience! haha!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine are 10 min Hollywood showers. Quickies?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1432474203|3880637 said:
I have a shower with numerous body jets and endless hot water (2 tanks baby! :lol: ) so yeah, I can easily take a 40 minute shower. If we didn't have body jets I would not be in so long. My office is in my basement so I never have to rush to work. I don't like to wash my hair in the shower (its a long story)

I think if I had your shower, it might make me turn to 30 or 40 minute showers too! My aching joints would probably love that. I guess it's best we don't get one though. Our water is metered and I wouldn't be able to resist temptation. :bigsmile:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
My showers are usually about 10-15 minutes, in which I shampoo, lather up and cleanse my body, shave my armpits and legs, and condition my hair.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results