shape
carat
color
clarity

Show or tell me about your unfinished decorating projects!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I know we have a lot of people on these boards that like decorating so I thought I would start a thread of decorating projects.

So, what are you currently working on?

Extra credit for pics :appl:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Show or tell me about your unfinished decorating project

How about unstarted decorating projects? We need to almost gut the upstairs of our home. The carpet is at least 15 years old and stained terribly, but we're waiting for the kids to get a bit older before we replace it. Then, we want to add a bathroom upstairs for the kids/guest room (right now, all 3 rooms share a bath) and then renovate our bathroom. I figure we're a few years (at least) away from that though...so, no pics unless you want to see my nasty carpet. :errrr:

Hera

Ideal_Rock

yennyfire- I have a lot of unstarted decorating projects:

bathroom: stenciling project, replace brushed nickel faucet, new window treatments
living room: I have a lot done already but I want to raise my chandelier so I can have a vase with tall flowers
den: new furniture, address ugly 1980's fireplace, french door installation
kitchen: oy! raise ceiling, encase fridge and add chalkboard paint, wine storage, backsplash, recessed lighting, pretty rug. Later, I will do the countertops.
bedroom: paint, hang drapes, nightstand selection, chandelier lighting installation.

I better stop there or I can go on an on and on :errrr:

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

Did you know they now make dry erase board paint? Pretty cool.

We have so many projects planned. I am hoping our next one will be our powder room. We already bought everything (toilet, vanity, mirror, lights) but the tile and it is all just sitting in my sun room. :rolleyes: One day. Another project is ripping out some bushes. Apparently 3 rows deep of bushes is desirable. Not to me! I am excited to plan flowers in the empty space. I am hoping to complete both this summer.

Hera

Ideal_Rock

Tacori E-ring|1303347540|2901462 said:

We have so many projects planned. I am hoping our next one will be our powder room. We already bought everything (toilet, vanity, mirror, lights) but the tile and it is all just sitting in my sun room. :rolleyes: One day. Another project is ripping out some bushes. Apparently 3 rows deep of bushes is desirable. Not to me! I am excited to plan flowers in the empty space. I am hoping to complete both this summer.

I would rather have a dry erase paint but I think chalkboard paint looks better in a kitchen. I think I will put some dry erase paint in my office though! I wonder if they have different colors......

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock

We're *trying* to finish our bar area, media room, my home office...

Bar Area: Our workers finished the bead board, paint and crown late last night, but we have to finish the bar itself--it's an old workbench, so I need to get on refinishing that.

Media Room: I bought some really beautiful theater chairs that are in my garage...I need to pick paint, buy the fun machines (cotton candy, popcorn, soda...), get the surround sound installed ... this will last me well into 2012!

Office: I'm making serious headway on this one. Since my office will be primarily used for scrap-booking, archiving and the like, I had a hard time finding the sort of desk I wanted, or rather, needed to make it functional and that slowed me down a lot. I ended up finding a guy who makes custom kitchen islands with bowling ally lane tops. So, he and I designed a very cool desk for me that is also in my garage as I type. My area is really no more than a nook...but it's going to be a great nook that is super functional. The team that worked on my bar area is moving on to putting in bead board, crown, built-in's and installing a huge piece of architecture salvage that will act as a shelf.

Once all the above is finished I am going to tackle the vacant bedroom...but I can't even mentally go there as of yet...it's just on the "board" with a TBD next to it. I'm starting to believe this home will be finished the day we move out :rolleyes: .

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock

heraanderson|1303349095|2901501 said:

I would rather have a dry erase paint but I think chalkboard paint looks better in a kitchen. I think I will put some dry erase paint in my office though! I wonder if they have different colors......

I saw the dry erase paint at Lowes...people had sampled it, A LOT. It's a cool invention.

I have chalkboard paint near my pantry and I LOVE it. Super functional. I write my grocery list on it weekly and if we're entertaining and I feel "artsy" I will write the menu out. Good choice for the kitchen space!!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Um. Like my entire house?!! I'll take some pics when we have a sunny day and post!

BTW, heranderson, I have to show you my family room pics! It actually ended up working out....after all that humming and hawwing!

manderz

Brilliant_Rock

We need to get the molding put up in the bathroom. I bought it like a year ago, and we haven't gotten it up, and I'm way too short to try and do it myself.

I started painting the recessed parts on my white cabinets, a muted gold color that goes really well with the rest of the kitchen. I ran out of paint with 3 doors left, so I really need to get that finished up.

We've been discussing ripping out our carpeting and the awful laminate in the kitchen, and replacing it all with this (below). We put it in our rental bathroom, and have been really impressed with it. It will be lower maintenance than the real wood that's underneath, it's quick and easy to install, it has a great warranty, and it's a little warmer underfoot. My only concern is having to move my fish tank to do the floor underneath that. That's a scary project :errrr:
http://www.homedepot.com/Flooring/h_d1/N-5yc1vZaq7r/R-100522807/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

We NEED a garbage disposal. I'm so sick of smelly trash! There's already power under the sink, so it should really be no big deal. Now if we could just get to it.

I want to put a screen door on the back door. Should be a quick and easy project, and I've found them for SUPER cheap, so I may do that myself this weekend, weather permitting.

Hera

Ideal_Rock

Italiahaircolor|1303350961|2901532 said:

I saw the dry erase paint at Lowes...people had sampled it, A LOT. It's a cool invention.

I have chalkboard paint near my pantry and I LOVE it. Super functional. I write my grocery list on it weekly and if we're entertaining and I feel "artsy" I will write the menu out. Good choice for the kitchen space!!

That's exactly the kind of feel I'm looking for. I can't wait to feel all artsy in my kitchen!
That desk sounds incredible!

Hera

Ideal_Rock

kama_s|1303353262|2901572 said:
Um. Like my entire house?!! I'll take some pics when we have a sunny day and post!

BTW, heranderson, I have to show you my family room pics! It actually ended up working out....after all that humming and hawwing!

I know! I started writing the list of things to do and it stressed me out!
I would love to see your family room pics!

Hera

Ideal_Rock

manderz|1303355409|2901602 said:
We need to get the molding put up in the bathroom. I bought it like a year ago, and we haven't gotten it up, and I'm way too short to try and do it myself.

I started painting the recessed parts on my white cabinets, a muted gold color that goes really well with the rest of the kitchen. I ran out of paint with 3 doors left, so I really need to get that finished up.

We've been discussing ripping out our carpeting and the awful laminate in the kitchen, and replacing it all with this (below). We put it in our rental bathroom, and have been really impressed with it. It will be lower maintenance than the real wood that's underneath, it's quick and easy to install, it has a great warranty, and it's a little warmer underfoot. My only concern is having to move my fish tank to do the floor underneath that. That's a scary project :errrr:
http://www.homedepot.com/Flooring/h_d1/N-5yc1vZaq7r/R-100522807/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

We NEED a garbage disposal. I'm so sick of smelly trash! There's already power under the sink, so it should really be no big deal. Now if we could just get to it.

I want to put a screen door on the back door. Should be a quick and easy project, and I've found them for SUPER cheap, so I may do that myself this weekend, weather permitting.

I agree you need a garbage disposal. I lived for 10 years without one, never again!
That vinyl plank flooring looks really interesting. I was reading on a blog that someone had it installed and it looked like the real deal in the pictures. I'm glad to hear such a positive review from you. Be careful with your fishies when you do move the tank:)

manderz

Brilliant_Rock

heraanderson said:
manderz|1303355409|2901602 said:

I agree you need a garbage disposal. I lived for 10 years without one, never again!
That vinyl plank flooring looks really interesting. I was reading on a blog that someone had it installed and it looked like the real deal in the pictures. I'm glad to hear such a positive review from you. Be careful with your fishies when you do move the tank:)

It looks great! It has the texture of the wood grain and everything. It's really cool. We've got some saving to do before we can actually do it, so it's going to be a while. But, I really want to make the disposal and the screen door happen, ASAP.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

If I wrote out the list of what I want to do in this house I'd probably have heart failure.

We're currently *finally* working on the bathroom..should be done by the end of next week or sooner, depending on how fast the rest goes..we're on the downhill slide at least.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock

How much time do you have?
I was going great guns on my built-in-1976 house until the layoffs/buyouts started three years ago at work. I've been doing things that cost $1200 or less, but I just can't get up the nerve to do flooring. The kitchen floor is original vinyl and it's not as ugly as it could be, but it's starting to rip in some places. I also need to do all three bedrooms, the hall and the living room.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

I need to re-grout the bathroom shower. Then I need to get a new fridge during which I will rip the floor up from under the fridge and put a new one down because the frost free whatever didn't evaporate stuff it just dumped it all into the wooden floor and rotted the wood completely. I am afraid the fridge is going to fall through to the loft downstairs. not really decorating is it? Also need to get a new vase. had some tulips in a green Grueby vase until the dog knocked it over.

Hera

Ideal_Rock

packrat|1303357004|2901626 said:
If I wrote out the list of what I want to do in this house I'd probably have heart failure.

We're currently *finally* working on the bathroom..should be done by the end of next week or sooner, depending on how fast the rest goes..we're on the downhill slide at least.

I can't wait!!! :tongue: <<<<supposed to look like a frog

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

I'm moving to a new apartment in June, and I plan to paint. And buy new furniture (well I have no furniture right now). So I'm trying to decide on colors for the bedroom and living room - this is hard!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

We have lots to do! We moved at the end of March and since we are only going there on weekends (and making day trips at that and with the price of gas it is pretty pricey making these round trips daily on the weekend!) we have lots left to do.

We bought a dining room table and chairs and buffet so the Dining Room is pretty much finished and we bought storage units for the kitchen so we are good there for now. Eventually we want to expand the kitchen island but that will be in the far future I think due to funds. We need to finish the bar area in the Living Room as the plumbing is set for a wet bar but needs to be finished (in the not too distant future I hope). We used our couch and loveseat from our last beach house which are OK for now and we bought 2 new area rugs for the LR and also just bought 2 televisions and 2 new HD TIVO's and got hooked up to cable last Saturday so that is one more thing we checked off our list.. But still lots to be rearranged in the LR because I still cannot find the right setup that is pleasing to my eye. It is more difficult than I thought it would be.

One major thing that my dh completed was retrofitting a new piece of furniture to hide the cat litter boxes and now that he finished we can actually stay on a weekend because we can now bring our darling furbabies :))

Upstairs we bought curtains for the master bedroom and new dressers and a new bedskirt. My dh still has to make a headboard for the bed but that will have to wait till his workshop is set up. We still need to buy new nightstands but I cannot find anything I like to fit in that space yet so I am not in a rush and will take my time as what we have there will do till I find what works there.

The guest bedrooms need lots of decorating work and my dh has to set up the beds which are still in pieces from our move. And we need to put together my treadmill in the exercise room and I need to buy some furniture there to house my stereo unit in that room. The study also has yet to be organized/decorated and we need to buy a desk suited to that room. And hopefully my dh will build bookcases there as he did in our NYC home.

And most importantly but probably will not be done till distant future is my dh needs to get together with a contractor and design/build a garage to house his wood working workshop. All his stuff from his previous workshop is in our attic and I want him to get the workshop space of his dreams and move everything from the attic there so he can get started on new projects for our home :bigsmile:

I am hoping once we start staying on some weekends things will be able to proceed at a more relaxing rate as we have been pretty much consumed with doing this every single weekend since we moved and now I want us to be able to relax and enjoy our new home and take our time with the rest of the decorating/redoing and making our new house a real home to us.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

heraanderson|1303362986|2901673 said:
packrat|1303357004|2901626 said:

I can't wait!!! :tongue: <<<<supposed to look like a frog

Thanks Hera, me either! I ordered the frog knobs last night..I thought it took 3 weeks but sounded like they would ship a lot sooner.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Unfinished? I just can't bear to. Sorry. ;(

Some of them are getting on for 8 years in the making. :-o

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd like to post some pics and ask for ADVICE!!! We would like to actually use our screened-in/3 season porch. The floors were painted grey. DH stripped the floors down to the wood and poly'd them. They look GREAT! The problem is that the 3 exterior "walls" of the room are huge screens, so when it rains, water gets inside. Not sure how to deal with this?!? Thoughts?

And, then there is the furniture. Ok, why does outdoor "friendly" furniture cost so much? I would NEVER spend $3k on a regular sofa, but why would I HAVE TO if I bought a sofa for this room? So, I don't think I will ever buy furniture for this room. It will definitely get rained on, unless we keep windows in half the room, which defeats the purpose. ADVICE?? HELP??

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock

My list of home projects is never-ending. I would love hardwoods in our bedroom, I want to add a dormer to one of the upstairs bedrooms, I need to re-do the future kids' bathroom. The problem is that instead of taking on these big projects, I keep scratching the itch by doing small projects (my wood wall thread is an example of this).

But if I'm JUST focusing on decorating, the three most pressing things I want are:
1. Antique bench in our mud room. I've seen a few I like, but none I really love. And I refuse to buy furniture I don't love.
2. A sofa or loveseat for our bedroom. We recently bought a new TV for our living room and moved the old TV to the bedroom, but I still haven't found a seating option I love.
3. Reclaimed wood dining room table. I hate to part with the money, but I'm really eager to replace our modern dining set and get something we can have for life.

My head starts spinning when I think about it.

Hera

Ideal_Rock

Texaskj: I hear ya! Flooring is a lot of work. I decided against replacing my flooring because my budget didn't allow for it. My husband re-did our baseboards and I am fine for now.

Vapidlapid:I'm sorry about your wood floor! I knew someone once that had her entire first floor flooded and damaged because of a broken water line form the fridge while she was on vacation. Luckily, her insurance kicked in and she got it replaced in exactly what she always wanted. I have never heard of that vase. The designs are so organic!

BEG: Paint colors are hard! I bought something like 20 sample cans for my living room and we had to re-paint the living room (with 20ft ceilings) four times. I just heard that Benjamin Moore put compatible colors on their paints so now in the online color picker, they will give suggestions. This might make picking colors a bit easier: Here's a link: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/bmpsweb/portals/bmps.portal?_nfpb=true&np=public_site/articles/application_article/app_colorExplorerTool&_pageLabel=fa_profresources#&ce_vm=0&ce_x=8&ce_y=5

missy: Wow! You are so motivated! I love that you retrofitted furniture for the litter boxes. It must be wonderful to have a husband so handy and willing to make you things for the house. It's great that you take your time so that you get exactly what you want.

JenniferW: Get goin'! 8years?!!!

Lovesvintage: I don't have much experience with screened in porches being in California, but have you thought of a overhang of some sort? For that price of $3k, Are you eyeballing some of that great outdoor furniture at Restoration Hardware or Frontgate? There are other less expensive alternatives at Costco, Sears, and Target.

New England Lady: I love your wood wall. I am so impressed by your tenacity! I agree it's so much easier to work on the decorating projects. Are you starting to move in a different design direction or are you responding to your house's architecture? Your wall is a sort of Anthropologie-earthy vibe and now you are looking for a reclaimed wood table. Whatever it is, I love it!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock

NewEnglandLady|1303412814|2902031 said:
My list of home projects is never-ending. I would love hardwoods in our bedroom, I want to add a dormer to one of the upstairs bedrooms, I need to re-do the future kids' bathroom. The problem is that instead of taking on these big projects, I keep scratching the itch by doing small projects (my wood wall thread is an example of this).

But if I'm JUST focusing on decorating, the three most pressing things I want are:
1. Antique bench in our mud room. I've seen a few I like, but none I really love. And I refuse to buy furniture I don't love.
2. A sofa or loveseat for our bedroom. We recently bought a new TV for our living room and moved the old TV to the bedroom, but I still haven't found a seating option I love.
3. Reclaimed wood dining room table. I hate to part with the money, but I'm really eager to replace our modern dining set and get something we can have for life.

About this...

If you're even mildly handy, you can easily make your own for a SONG.

Last summer my close friend was looking for a great, reclaimed dining room table, similarly to you. She couldn't find anything within her budget...and since I like repurposing and projects, I offered to try it.

I cruised the local antique markets here and found a pair of HUGE rectangle old barn doors. They were so cool. They were constructed using individual planks set on a diagonal and had a "trough" in the center. They were awesome. I was able to score both for around $100.00 (I haggled the guy hard core).

I sanded them down to clean them up, but left a lot of the rustic character the old wood offered. I made a skirt and added some new legs from the hardware store. My friend wanted the skirt and legs antiqued, so I did...but raw legs would have looked great as well. Of course you could use repurposed newel posts, but I found that the "bones" of the table being level and solid made construction easier.

She ended up taking one of the tables (I have the other one). She can seat 6 comfortably, 8 squeezed in. She fills the trough seasonally to dress it up.

If you have the resources to antique and the willingness to try a project you could do this. All you need to find is a really lovely barn door or slab of wood. I think all told, each table cost $250.00 if you consider the materials--sand paper, paint, bolts and the various woods. It's nominal for a beautiful dining room table.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock

The cheaper Rust-oleum kind is only white (I have a bottle of this in my office right now- just waiting for the new paint on the walls to cure before trying it out!), but this kind http://solutionsmb.com/020~Whiteboard_Solutions/015~MB4000W_Whiteboard_Repair/ is a clear coating that goes over any latex paint, so you can have a whatever-color-your-wall-is board. I went with the white so I could have a defined area for markers in the office, and at 20$ it's a project I can absorb if it doesn't work, but I really want to try to clear coat in my kitchen at home.

Just read up on the reviews and instructions online for this stuff- the expiration date on the bottle matters and it's not compatible with the magnetic primers!!

princesss

Ideal_Rock

Italiahaircolor|1303438205|2902347 said:
NewEnglandLady|1303412814|2902031 said:

About this...

If you're even mildly handy, you can easily make your own for a SONG.

Last summer my close friend was looking for a great, reclaimed dining room table, similarly to you. She couldn't find anything within her budget...and since I like repurposing and projects, I offered to try it.

I cruised the local antique markets here and found a pair of HUGE rectangle old barn doors. They were so cool. They were constructed using individual planks set on a diagonal and had a "trough" in the center. They were awesome. I was able to score both for around $100.00 (I haggled the guy hard core).

I sanded them down to clean them up, but left a lot of the rustic character the old wood offered. I made a skirt and added some new legs from the hardware store. My friend wanted the skirt and legs antiqued, so I did...but raw legs would have looked great as well. Of course you could use repurposed newel posts, but I found that the "bones" of the table being level and solid made construction easier.

She ended up taking one of the tables (I have the other one). She can seat 6 comfortably, 8 squeezed in. She fills the trough seasonally to dress it up.

If you have the resources to antique and the willingness to try a project you could do this. All you need to find is a really lovely barn door or slab of wood. I think all told, each table cost $250.00 if you consider the materials--sand paper, paint, bolts and the various woods. It's nominal for a beautiful dining room table.

Also, check Young House Love - their new "reclaimed" console table is straight from Home Depot boards that they textured and stained to get a good, old, weather beaten look. Combine those techniques with the farmhouse table plans from Ana White (plans are free), you could make a gorgeous table really easily!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

We have 2 projects in the works :appl: first up is my oldest son moved out a couple of years ago and now his younger brother wants his brothers bigger room so we are in the middle of painting the room, we ripped up the old carpet and are putting in hardwood floors, the painting is done, now hubby is going to start on the floors!!!

Next on the hit list is the main bathroom, I already have a new vanity, we are doing painting, new floors, towel racks, faucets, I cant find a mirror to fit so I am going to paint what is already there...this bathroom is seriously stuck in 1980's so I cant wait for this one to be done!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results