shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your Montana Sapphires!!!

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm am absolutely in love with these stones. :love: I've spent all day looking through old threads, but I'd love to see a bunch of these beauties all in one place!

So please share, loose or set, I don't mind :naughty:

thea_harper

Rough_Rock
deskjockey|1454501906|3986100 said:
myring2_0.jpg
sapphireshade.jpg

6.5mm, heated :) From Shannon at Mountain Momma Gems. :)

OMG :love: :naughty:

that color is amazing!

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OMG beautiful!!! Such a deep blue in that first one, and a beautiful teal in the second :love:

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is my beautiful gem! I wont have it for a few months as I'm working on a payment plan with Shannon at Mountain Momma Gems. I'm so excited for the day it can come home :)) Shannon is so easy to work with too.

(Mountain Momma photos, not my photos, as I don't have it in hand yet.)

c__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved_images_il_570xn_801008468_8bik.jpg

c__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved_images_il_570xn_801001814_f90w.jpg

c__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved_images_il_570xn_801001950_a5rg.jpg

c__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved_images_il_570xn_800776141_nah3.jpg

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh wow! It's like an ice blue, gorgeous :love:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
deskjockey|1454501906|3986100 said:
myring2_0.jpg
sapphireshade.jpg

6.5mm, heated :) From Shannon at Mountain Momma Gems. :)

Love this color!!! Also how is it 6.5mm?! It looks so much larger on your hands :love: I am jealous because I assume that means you have daintier fingers than I do :lol:

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah I wear a size five. It's also cut VERY deep so it sits up pretty high. I really need to moisturize better though

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Drool :lickout: keep em comin!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the Montana Sapphires posted are lovely! Deskjockey- I just absolutely love the blue/green color of your sapphire. :love:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This might be cheating, but I just saw this posted online for sale by a reputable vendor. It's just so unusual that I was inspired to post it here. Maybe it will inspire someone :naughty:

12006632_10206219205697115_2399191483713973140_o.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, its like I'm following you around, LD! I was just looking at that one too. The vendor is very nice and his stones are lovely. That does appear to be a fairly uncommon color for a Montana and it looks gorgeous.

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I hope it's okay if I start posting some fellow members' Montana Sapphires from past threads??

I'll start with these beauties originally posted by DecoDaze four photos is different lighting's. I'm not positive, but I think she settled on the cushion.

img_10606.jpg

img_10607.jpg

img_10608.jpg

img_10609.jpg

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Artdecogirl

rsz_1rsz_img_2100.jpg

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
NKOTB

2011_07_18_065.jpg

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Last one I could dig up for now, posted by ephsea.

_36322.jpg

_36323.jpg

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

attyl

Rough_Rock
I just have to post! I keep telling myself I'm only looking until my ring is done, but Pricescope has been so helpful and hopefully these pictures can help someone else in return.

The sapphire for my engagement ring is a Montana, but I've not yet been "allowed" to see the one my boyfriend ultimately decided to go with. He ordered several, and I got to see two that he sent back, but I only thought to take pictures of one. I know he has pictures of all the others, so I'll probably post them when my ring is finally done, as well as reviews for all of the different vendors we used (as that was the MOST helpful part of this site, for me anyway). Anyway, the first one was sent back. In certain lights it was absolutely gorgeous, but he decided after a few days of carrying it around and looking at it under typical lighting conditions that it just wasn't the one.

extreme_blue_green.jpg
This is his hand. I never saw it looking like this, even if diffuse sunlight, which is how he took the picture.

extreme_purple.jpg
This is on my hand, and what I saw under bright CFL bulb lighting. This coloration alone almost swayed him, but in the end, it just didn't retain this coloration nearly enough of the time.

average_inside.jpg
This is what we typically saw, which was just a bit too grey.

For the sapphire that was deemed the winner, all I have are the vendor photos.

sapphire_outside_0.jpg
My boyfriend says it's pretty close to this is diffuse sunlight, but, in his words, "even prettier."

sapphire_inside_0.jpg
The hearsay on this one is that it never actually looks this grey to him.

For reference, all of the sapphires he purchased have come from Jeff Hapeman, who has been very helpful and great to deal with. Both sapphires were about the same face-up size at 6.8-6.9mm. The boyfriend's ring finger size is about 9-9.5 and mine is about a 7.

Jajabis

Rough_Rock
I'll post the pictures of the engagement ring once i get it back. I just dropped the stone off with the jeweler.

8mm 2.71ct "Portuguese" style cut, it has 145 facet's instead of 57 used in brilliant round cuts. Un-treated, Un-heated.
img_2259.jpg
img_2260.jpg
img_2261.jpg
img_2262.jpg
img_2263.jpg
img_2264.jpg
img_2293.jpg
img_2307.jpg

Hope this gives you a good idea of the color, as it's all over the place depending on the light and time of day.

This is the e-ring i am going with. I was going to do rose gold, but it tended to tarnish the color a bit.
66706894-4bce-4735-8477-a52b00e438b5-2.jpg

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Jajabis, I love the Portuguese cut and yours is stunning :love: :love:
I see that Rissa Lou posted mine without the setting, this is it after. The stone was from Dana at Mastercut Gems and the setting was done by Michael E. I had been looking at another bezel setting by Heart of Water jewels on Etsy but hers had a greek key pattern and I wanted something less geometric. I sent a rough drawing to Michael E. (I am not an artist) but he is and he took it from there and this is the result.

rsz_img_3519.jpg rsz_1rsz_jos_pics_068.jpg

This second pic is from a thread to show all your stuff but I felt it showed the stone a little better. Behind it in the second pic (not the ring but the loose stone) is a small Montana I got as an extra from Dana, there is a pair of them and I have been thinking about having a pair of baby bezels made.

littlegnome

Rough_Rock
Here's my unheated Montana sapphire. image_383.jpg
image_384.jpg image_385.jpg

And a vendor photos
image_386.jpg

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
artdecogirl|1454772781|3987701 said:
Jajabis, I love the Portuguese cut and yours is stunning :love: :love:
I see that Rissa Lou posted mine without the setting, this is it after. The stone was from Dana at Mastercut Gems and the setting was done by Michael E. I had been looking at another bezel setting by Heart of Water jewels on Etsy but hers had a greek key pattern and I wanted something less geometric. I sent a rough drawing to Michael E. (I am not an artist) but he is and he took it from there and this is the result.

rsz_img_3519.jpg rsz_1rsz_jos_pics_068.jpg

This second pic is from a thread to show all your stuff but I felt it showed the stone a little better. Behind it in the second pic (not the ring but the loose stone) is a small Montana I got as an extra from Dana, there is a pair of them and I have been thinking about having a pair of baby bezels made.

I LOVE how you ended up setting it! Perfect :appl:

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Jajabis|1454748399|3987618 said:
I'll post the pictures of the engagement ring once i get it back. I just dropped the stone off with the jeweler.

8mm 2.71ct "Portuguese" style cut, it has 145 facet's instead of 57 used in brilliant round cuts. Un-treated, Un-heated.
img_2259.jpg
img_2260.jpg
img_2261.jpg
img_2262.jpg
img_2263.jpg
img_2264.jpg
img_2293.jpg
img_2307.jpg

Hope this gives you a good idea of the color, as it's all over the place depending on the light and time of day.

This is the e-ring i am going with. I was going to do rose gold, but it tended to tarnish the color a bit.
66706894-4bce-4735-8477-a52b00e438b5-2.jpg

I can't wait to see the finished ring, it looks like it'll be fantastic.

Alnitak

Rough_Rock
Trade
RissaLou|1454614247|3986903 said:
Okay holy wow! When I was searching for old Montana Sapphire posts I came across this website: http://www.earthstreasury.com/product-category/gemstones/sapphire-gemstones/montanasapphire/

Has anyone used them before? Heard anything good or bad? Because woah, they have some stunning Montana Sapphires! :love: :love:

Sharing pics of a few of my favs, gorgeous. I'm super curious if anyone knows anything about them, like are these photos altered do you think?

These are mine; that's my business. I can assure you that NONE of my photos are altered. Photography is one of my passions and I put a great deal of effort into making sure my photos are as close to "real life" is possible given the limitations of digital cameras/computer screens and differences in individual color perception. I have carefully calibrated my camera and computer screen to a X-Rite color standard and I use special lighting in my studio. If the color shifts I generally will try to get photos in different lighting to show this.

I'm glad you like my sapphires; Montana sapphires are a specialty of mine. I have spent a great deal of time working on optimizing the angles and creating my own designs to maximize the brilliance of these remarkable gems. Proper orientation of the stones is crucial for displaying the best color on these stones, and I almost always will optimize for the purest color hue and the best blue rather than simply trying to cut the largest gem. I also go to great effort to source the absolute best rough and have close relationships with most of the miners in Montana to ensure that I can do so.

Personally I think these sapphires are greatly underappreciated. In part I believe this is due to the prevalence of poor cutting of many of these stones. This seems to be slowly changing as they gain more recognition and as interest in colored gems and education about proper cutting grows, in no small part due to communities like PriceScope.

Regards,

Jeff

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Alnitak|1455116690|3989321 said:
I'm glad you like my sapphires; Montana sapphires are a specialty of mine. I have spent a great deal of time working on optimizing the angles and creating my own designs to maximize the brilliance of these remarkable gems. Proper orientation of the stones is crucial for displaying the best color on these stones, and I almost always will optimize for the purest color hue and the best blue rather than simply trying to cut the largest gem. I also go to great effort to source the absolute best rough and have close relationships with most of the miners in Montana to ensure that I can do so.

Personally I think these sapphires are greatly underappreciated. In part I believe this is due to the prevalence of poor cutting of many of these stones. This seems to be slowly changing as they gain more recognition and as interest in colored gems and education about proper cutting grows, in no small part due to communities like PriceScope.

Regards,

Jeff

Jeff, out of curiosity, do you know anything about this guy?

http://missouririversapphire.co/

I'm not exactly in the market but everything looks great on there.... (he's on etsy too) Just curious because I haven't seen anyone here get anything from there yet...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results