shape
carat
color
clarity

show me your leon mege ring boxes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GoSharks

Rough_Rock
The discount is business motivated I suspect, high profile people are also potential free advertising. The discount reflects their marketing value, not their personal value. You are less likely to get your ring brand named in People magazine, or send a tweet to 100,000 people about it if you are blown away with his work.

Ever notice how celebrities start getting free stuff just for showing up to stuff? It''s an exchange of those goods for their star power, which helps drive the event they attend.

Same idea I suspect, or perhaps its a discount to try and break into a lucrative sub-market for big jewelry.

That said, a discrete Pricescope discount might be wise, for the sake of his business, as well, if he wanted to get that effect here.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, that old Leon box thread is too funny. I read all 9 pages!

My theory is he's just cheap and doesn't want to spend money on fancy boxes for his customers.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2009 4:07:13 PM
Author: Laila619

My theory is he''s just cheap and doesn''t want to spend money on fancy boxes for his customers.
.............. Even if his customers send THOUSANDS of dollars his way..................

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/20/2009 4:11:08 PM
Author: Amethyste

My theory is he''s just cheap and doesn''t want to spend money on fancy boxes for his customers.
.............. Even if his customers send THOUSANDS of dollars his way..................
Yep, because that''s however many more dollars he gets to keep in his pocket by not spending it on boxes. Silly, but probably true.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I''m not lucky enough to own anything by Leon, but I always thought that it was very cheesy of him to not think through his entire process. He''s not so nice some of the time or maybe it''s just to some of his customers. I''m not sure. He won''t necessarily do exactly what someone asks him to do, no he''s Leon Mege'' and he "needs" to have creative reign over a project. OK fine...... He''s a creative genius. People wait anywhere from six weeks to who knows how long because he''s Leon Mege'' or he''s on vacation. And when you finally plunk down your $5,000, $10,000, $15,000 for his work, you don''t get a darned box? It''s like serving someone a fine meal on the tablecloth with no dish and a plastic fork and then presenting you with a check for $150.- a person because it''s a famous restaurant with a famous chef. What''s the difference?

A lousey box in the wholesale jewelry catalogues goes for literally a few bucks and if manufacturers buy them in quantity, the price goes down significantly. I think Leon needs to know that he looks very cheap and cheesy sending someone a finished jewelry piece in a little plastic zippy bag and some bubble wrap. He doesn''t think his entire process through.

I feel really bad for the guys who order their girlfriend''s rings for a surprise engagement. Can you picture the poor guy down on one knee with a little zippy bag in his pocket?

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/20/2009 4:26:37 PM

Date: 8/20/2009 4:11:08 PM

Yep, because that''s however many more dollars he gets to keep in his pocket by not spending it on boxes. Silly, but probably true.
I just went on the website for the jewelry catalogue I have at home. He saves about $1.40! That''s for a velvet box which is perfectly OK. It''s still a box.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I totally agree. I do think it''s cheesy of him not to present his product in an elegant, nice package. Especially when his customers are spending so much money. But it is what it is. He is not hurting for business, so maybe he feels he doesn''t have to do it.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I too have just read all 9 pages (cos I''m in bed sick!). One thing strikes me more than the whole box debate is the photograph thing. Does he still have the same policy of charging $75.00 for a .jpeg.

If I was DianaBanana and I had paid $75 for a .jpeg to see a ring which differed significantly from the ring I thought I was getting, I wonder if I would be glad I spent the extra $75, because it mean''t he didn''t send the wrong ring to Canada, or mad as hell because I might have to spend another $75 to satisfy myself that the right ring was going to make it''s way into the ziploc before being shipped across the border.

Hmm, interesting dilema, what say you Diana?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t explain the boxes, but I think I can explain the baggies. When high-value items are sent by courier, they are made to look as inconspicuous as possible. I receive my gems wrapped in stone paper, taped to the inside of a smaller box, which is then placed in a larger one.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2009 8:50:44 PM
Author: Harriet
I can''t explain the boxes, but I think I can explain the baggies. When high-value items are sent by courier, they are made to look as inconspicuous as possible. I receive my gems wrapped in stone paper, taped to the inside of a smaller box, which is then placed in a larger one.
H, this is interesting. When you received a package that has been sent via courier or mail, I''m guessing it doesn''t have to state what is inside. Inconspicuous packing makes sense in that case.

Different ball of wax when you are talking international shipping, even if it is only just a hop, skip and a jump across the border. Customs require a description of the goods and the value stated in the paperwork.

Not that makes any difference to the whole box debate - Gawd, I don''t think BO & HC debated as much did they?

For the record, I''m in the couldn''t care less about a box camp.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2009 9:55:20 PM
Author: Gailey
H, this is interesting. When you received a package that has been sent via courier or mail, I''m guessing it doesn''t have to state what is inside. Inconspicuous packing makes sense in that case.

Different ball of wax when you are talking international shipping, even if it is only just a hop, skip and a jump across the border. Customs require a description of the goods and the value stated in the paperwork.

Not that makes any difference to the whole box debate - Gawd, I don''t think BO & HC debated as much did they?

I don''t know anything about international shipping, because I''ve only bought one gem from overseas. The packaging was even funnier.

Who are they?

Yeah, I wouldn''t let a box stop me from patronising Leon.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
This topic may never die, ha ha!!

It seems I recall Leon does a lot of work for other jewelers and sends the finished piece in a baggie and the jeweler then uses his own box. That''s one thought.
It would have been very easy to send my ring in a box. The same shipping box and outer plastic bag could have been used too! Leon even shipped my ring via Brinks to the wrong city!!
I had to wait a long agonizing weekend to pick it up. I was mortified something was going to happen to it, but it was in Brinks'' vault, so guess it was safe ;-)

Leon is Russian, but "adopted" the French Mege last name. He told me his real last name is waaay too long to put inside a ring!

Yeah, I''d love a scrumptious leather box to go along with his work, but I''ll settle for a baggie any day.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2009 10:02:32 PM

I don''t know anything about international shipping, because I''ve only bought one gem from overseas. The packaging was even funnier.

Who are they?

err, your new president and Hills!!

When I decide to get a Leon, I think I''m going to ask you to broker the deal for me - I''m afraid he''d eat me. You have heard he eats small children on Wednesdays haven''t you .......

As for the box thing, I think it''s going to be one of the great mysteries of the world, you know like what happened to MM & MJ

heb1976

Shiny_Rock
Here is an actual Leon box belonging to Snooper. When I received my rings from Leon in June of 08 they came in a generic cheap velvet black box. The new ones seem to be an upgrade!
3.gif
When I asked Leon if I could have one of his signature boxes he said that he only uses them when someone buys one of his available for purchase rings. He also said he only started using the cheap black boxes because so many people complained about the baggy!
6.gif

leonbox2.jpg

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
LOL I can''t believe the plastic baggie. I''d heard rumours but Bebe''s pic is the first time I''ve actually seen it. I couldn''t imagine that gorgeous work of art sent in a plastic bag! Like it was a gram of coke or something...

I personally think that any jewellery purchase is a luxury and should be presented as such. I love the packaging that came with my Heart of Water ring. It came nestled in a silvery blue box with a matching tassle tied around it, with a handwritten note. And that ring costs a fraction of a Leon ring. Now that''s class. Just my humble opinion. I hope I don''t get flamed by avid Leon fans! I do love the kitty cat on his ad, though
1.gif

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
omg I would DIE if I got a ring in that ring box (the fancy one that snooper received). It is like a cut off finger or something!

I''ll take the baggie over that one :)

Cocosgirl

Shiny_Rock
It''s been a long time since I''ve commented in this forum (no blingy with this economy) but I have to agree that a box is a simple method of presenting something of value. When I purchased my tcw .67 diamonds studs from Whiteflash last fall they came in quite the elaborate setting including the loop/H&A arrow scope, as well as all documentation and a very pretty (and VERY simple) wood box. It was exciting to open it even though I knew exactly what was in it. That box sits on my nighttable and on the rare ocassion I take out my studs they go back in their box.

In February I assisted my mom in purchasing a .32 solitaire pendant from James Allen (OUTSTANDING STONE BTW) which came in such an amazing presentation box that my mom couldn''t believe that the price INCLUDED the box and she thought I had paid extra. It really made such a difference. My sister loved the pendant.

Ahhh but, Leon is an artiste - and I would love to have one of his creations. Since I live near his studio in NYC I might just go there to pick up such an item, but at this point it''s dreamin''
36.gif
36.gif

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2009 11:54:44 PM
Author: heb1976
Here is an actual Leon box belonging to Snooper. When I received my rings from Leon in June of 08 they came in a generic cheap velvet black box. The new ones seem to be an upgrade!
3.gif
When I asked Leon if I could have one of his signature boxes he said that he only uses them when someone buys one of his available for purchase rings. He also said he only started using the cheap black boxes because so many people complained about the baggy!
6.gif
Beautiful box - I''m jealous, all I got was the baggie. (tee hee )

I wonder where I could buy a box like that? I''ve scoured the ''net looking for fine boxes, bought many, so far, nothing
has impressed me.

lowphat

Shiny_Rock
Leon gives a cheesy velvet box for his custom works... which is pretty much anything that you commission him to do.

He gives a really nice black leather box with a dome shaped top that splits down the middle to open, if you buy one of his already made pieces. I understand that the leather box costs a good amount to have made, which is why he doesn''t give them out for most of his commissioned pieces.

And to gemgirl - you said "And when you finally plunk down your $5,000, $10,000, $15,000 for his work, you don''t get a darned box?". I can see a complicated piece being $5,000, but not ever 10 or 15k. Not really sure where you got those numbers from.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/26/2009 10:44:15 AM
Author: lowphat
Leon gives a cheesy velvet box for his custom works... which is pretty much anything that you commission him to do.

He gives a really nice black leather box with a dome shaped top that splits down the middle to open, if you buy one of his already made pieces. I understand that the leather box costs a good amount to have made, which is why he doesn''t give them out for most of his commissioned pieces.

And to gemgirl - you said ''And when you finally plunk down your $5,000, $10,000, $15,000 for his work, you don''t get a darned box?''. I can see a complicated piece being $5,000, but not ever 10 or 15k. Not really sure where you got those numbers from.
Ahhh Grasshopper, you have not been at Pricescope for very long. Spending $10K to $15K with Leon is not very hard at all. The longer you''re here, the more you will see. Some of our ladies have some very beautiful masterpieces created by Leon.

You can look through Leon''s inventory at
http://www.artofplatinum.com/
and you can search our old posts using the search engine at the top of every page to bring up custom mountings that Leon has made. There''s quite a lot to see. A custom halo-ed e-ring mounting with a matching eternity band will get you to $10K very quickly, in fact faster than you can say "could you repeat that please?"
1.gif
And if you''re doing something with side traps, half moons or bullets for instance, you''re also buying side stones in addition to his design and custom metal work. There are also a couple of very expensive eternity bands in our history. It''s VERY easy to spend that kind of money with Leon.

Search and you will find.

lowphat

Shiny_Rock
LOL that''s why I''m still a noob =(

md74

Rough_Rock
I recently had a reset done by Leon. It was a simple (in terms of design - not so much in terms of the stone, a pear) solitaire setting, and I love it.

I got a cute box (and that was even with my picking the ring up and putting it right on my finger) and I liked it. It is red velvet. I didn''t have to ask for it. I joked with him at the time, having seen the old thread about boxes, and he said he got new boxes in. So it would seem he is trying to please people. I liked the box, I actually keep it by my bed to put my earrings in when I go to sleep. I would recommend, if you want a certain box, just ask for it, nicely!

We had a great experience working with him. He really was very easy, patient, and helpful. I decided to go to him without preconceived ideas and see what my own experience with him was. It was absolutely great, and I would highly recommend him.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2009 11:54:44 PM
Author: heb1976
3.gif
6.gif

so funny .... he changed to a cheap black box because of the baggy complaints...

purelily

Shiny_Rock
Leon Mege makes beautiful rings. We ended up not being able to afford one, BUT.... I LOVE looking at the boxes :) Do we have more box or baggie pics?

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 2:25:26 PM
Author: Kismet
I have the same box as Megeve but in black. This is from a September 08 purchase from Leon.

ditto to all above :), his manner is much better then the box and I really only cared about what was in the inside :razz:

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2009 10:57:09 PM

Who are they?

When I decide to get a Leon, I think I''m going to ask you to broker the deal for me - I''m afraid he''d eat me. You have heard he eats small children on Wednesdays haven''t you .......

As for the box thing, I think it''s going to be one of the great mysteries of the world, you know like what happened to MM & MJ
They are not mine! I''m a Singapore citizen.

He does?
6.gif

Alright now, who''s MM?

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I just got studs and jackets and Whiteflash sent me 2 boxes, which I thought was a little weird since there is no way for the jackets to sit in the box without studs to prop them up. In face they were in a plastic baggy in box #2. I guess too many boxes is better than none?

trinity911

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/28/2009 12:09:15 AM

Date: 8/20/2009 10:57:09 PM

Who are they?

They are not mine! I''m a Singapore citizen.

He does?
6.gif

Alright now, who''s MM?
i''m a UK citizen but I''m guessing Marilyn Monroe and Michael Jackson...

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2009 3:19:56 PM
Its just that to me, it completes the transaction to get a nice presentation for the consumer that paid MUCHO $$$ for their ring(s). Most of the people that seek his work send him their stones for the custom work, so to send back the whole thing in a baggie, to me shows somoewhat a lack of respect.

If i had him do work on my 5.13Ct Lemony and it came back in a doggie bag I''d be
29.gif
!!!!!!! I would be actually offended that he didn''t care enough for my stone the overall ring to send it to me in a ''box'' like that...

Ditto, not only is it disresepctful, to me it shows a lack of pride in his work. You wouldn''t throw something special you have crafted with your own hands into a cheap ziplock baggy, it''t quite disappointing and he should be ashamed!

Lenamama

Shiny_Rock
Who cares about a box!!!
31.gif
It is a Leon after all.........
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results