shape
carat
color
clarity

show me your fixed repairs

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Excellent update, @Daisys and Diamonds! I can't wait to see the ring once they rotate the stone east/west!

I've worked through pretty much all of my repairs & alterations for the moment. I'm so happy to be caught up!! The two rings I had sized are perhaps a bit too big now, but not so much I can't wear them. They just rotate a bit. But we're about to go into warmer weather, so that should alleviate that problem for a little while.

Next thing I need to do is take two diamonds over to GIA to have reports done, but that is yet again feeling overwhelming. Hopefully I'll screw up the courage soon.

We just had 5 months of summer
My fingers got so fat
I now think its good to have a few bigger rings
Enjoy the better weather
Im enjoying the cooler nights

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Photos ?
I need to keep up my enthusiasm
Just a couple of easy fixes
the pearl just needed a new back after i got a faulty one last time when i got those plastic backs to stop my ear folding in
The silver hoops i got from my friend Deborah for my 30th and one had stopped closing. The lady said it needed to be tensioned

Oh boy dam those masks ! I was hard to get my earings in

20220330_122044_001.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My pink multi strand from the mall jewler
On one hand im still a bit p*ssed they wernt strung how i wanted (twistered) but considering they are cheaper (although over priced) freshies with questionable luster i am still very happy to have them back

So much for buying them with the thought of fun summer pearls because over the heat of the summer i couldn't stand to have pearls on 20220330_122143.jpg
But now that its cooler they feel light as a feather

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Got Tinky engraved
also got a larger jump ring for the end of his chain (and a non rusty one)
I wear this a lot
Tinky gave it to me for Christmas one year
of course he was notorious for going shopping and leaving his wallet at hime ....

It was a pandora on a black silk cord ...
.....that broke - well the silk came out of the end thingy - i fixed it once with super glue
Anyway the chain Gary found under his sister's house when he was renovating
I had fixed it with a jump ring off some old thing that was lying around
i wish my smilies would work today
Now that i enlarge the photo i wish i had not gone with times new Roman but its too small to quibble about
Still i have learnt something so that's a plus for future engraving

20220330_122323.jpg
The chain is also perfect for my new tiger eye pendent i got from Yssie and a very generouse PSer
I do have a lot of Autumn tones in my wardrobe apart from raggedy old singies
Im just sitting here relaxing ok ! (Trying to hide double chin)

Attachments

• 16485983523031959047050.jpg
    16485983523031959047050.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Got my rope chain shortened and its been cleaned so beautifully
I don't think im a patina kind of gal
The prevouse length was kind of soup bowl length if i was eatting at the table and now it just feels a better length on
It sits one the neckline of this old singlet of Gary's (its my weekend today and tomorrow !!!) rather than below the bust
Plus they put a new catch on after i broke it cleaning it with too much vigor 20220330_122451_001.jpg

MidModMin

Shiny_Rock
Your rope chain looks lovely now, @Daisys and Diamonds! I like patina on some chain styles (like foxtail or Bali), but agree that a rope chain looks better when it is spiffed up and shiny.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your rope chain looks lovely now, @Daisys and Diamonds! I like patina on some chain styles (like foxtail or Bali), but agree that a rope chain looks better when it is spiffed up and shiny.

Thank you
i just couldn't get it completly shinny with just the silver cloth
...and then i broke it

Do they just put them in an ultrasonic at the jewlers?

MidModMin

Shiny_Rock
Thank you
i just couldn't get it completly shinny with just the silver cloth
...and then i broke it

Do they just put them in an ultrasonic at the jewlers?

Good question. I'm not 100% sure.

In my experience, sometimes tarnish can be removed with a simple clean...there are times it's a superficial layer that a good scrub will take care of. In that case, I suppose an ultrasonic could work.

But any stubborn tarnish would require actual polishing. If they had a jewelry-safe silver dip, they could have used that, but a lot of dips are too strong to use for jewelry silver. It's possible the jeweler used a polishing wheel or dremel, which would let them get into the nooks and crannies of the chain, but it isn't safe for amateurs.

Hmmm...maybe they use a nice, stiff brush made of a material that can polish? I'm not sure. When I wash my silver chains, I do make sure to use a toothbrush, though, because it gives me a better clean and helps it stay brighter for longer. Perhaps have they have a more professional version of that.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good question. I'm not 100% sure.

In my experience, sometimes tarnish can be removed with a simple clean...there are times it's a superficial layer that a good scrub will take care of. In that case, I suppose an ultrasonic could work.

But any stubborn tarnish would require actual polishing. If they had a jewelry-safe silver dip, they could have used that, but a lot of dips are too strong to use for jewelry silver. It's possible the jeweler used a polishing wheel or dremel, which would let them get into the nooks and crannies of the chain, but it isn't safe for amateurs.

Hmmm...maybe they use a nice, stiff brush made of a material that can polish? I'm not sure. When I wash my silver chains, I do make sure to use a toothbrush, though, because it gives me a better clean and helps it stay brighter for longer. Perhaps have they have a more professional version of that.

I might try the toothbrush method
thank you
in the meantime ive draped the rope chain in a silver cloth when im not wearing it

renwea

Shiny_Rock
I bought this jade ring off ebay and it was supposed to have tiny pearls on both sides and one side had been broken off. Its made by mings if any of you recognize the jeweler. I had the other side of pearls removed and I think it is gorgeous without them.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have ordered some 12 or is it 14mm ? Faceted citrene beads to extend the amber after the first lot were waaaay too small
trying to look on the bright side after i thought i ordered some Whitby jet (to remedy fat neck) to then discover it was crystal :boohoo:

I am now determined to get as many of these too tight necklaces ready for wear durring the coming winter

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im having another go at using citrene to extend the too tight amber
Its on its way (with the black crystal 'jet' :(2 ) Screenshot_20220422-102125.png

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
So ..... every few weeks i don't have a bill to pay so that's when i plug away at all this fixing and making things wearable stuff

i should be working on my findings order trying to work my clasps and split rings out but i needed a break from the brain work out

So as far as enabling goes :lol-2:
I was thinking about the dropped gemstone thread ...ive had a few near misses - lucky we have woodern floors in this house
Ive had my eye on this necklace for a while and when im not wearing pearls i do wear my silver pendents
And they had a 20% off for mother's day
and free shipping to NZ :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
And a ton of awsome reviews

The 4 wee loose dismonds i have are leftovers from when i had the big cull and sold some gold for scrap a while back
the gold buyer kindly returned the gemstones at no cost
The rings were bad auction buys (i didn't know you guys then :(2 )

3 will be old cuts from an old 3 stone that was waaaaaay too small - (both the ring and the diamonds) and the other was modern and also too small and i discovereed i don't like cathedral settings

So this necklace is available with or without tiny lab grown diamonds ...so i thought I'll order it without and ill just take it down town and get my little loosies put in it
Because im never going to do anything with those guys and sooner or latter they will get lost

So i had to order the silver bar back to front and get an * engraved on the blank side where the diamonds will go to make the automated ordering system work
I will wear Tinky and Tibby to go on the back so they are both next to my heart
It also comes with a SS 44cm chain which is the length i like

Fingers crossed this works out
Its only coming from Australia
The engraving alone would almost cost this much from the jewler here

Ive ordered it in the stirling and with the discount its NZ$102
Screenshot_20220508-124458.png
Screenshot_20220508-124334.png
This is what it looks like with diamonds - i think its Aust $ 369

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220508-134026.png
    Screenshot_20220508-134026.png
    220.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really really seem to suck at buying the right size gemstone beads
no way would i trust myself buying a loose stone or even findings.

To be fare what just arrived is my 2nd purchase, but now the citrene is too big for the amber and i have fake glass jet
Sigh
Really weird it arrived in a NZ courier bag with no paper work yet it came from America,
if i remenber correctly
Usually when something is opened at customs it is retaped up with offical opened by customs tape ???
I cant help but remember my meat order a couple of months ago from only 2 1/2 hours down the road that never arrived

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I should change the name of this thread to
repairs ......pending

I have about a half doz gemstone bead necklaces im slowly working on

Concentrating right now on the 2x whitby jet and the 2x amber
I have to keep reminding myself the aim is not to make a silk purse from a sow's ear, its just to make them long enough to fit fat neck and still look nice and if need be (sensibly) upgrade the findings

Im having triuble with sizing
My calipers were flat and i must have read the wrong side of the calipers (grrrrr inches)
So the silver fascated beads came in too small (after the citrene was first too tiny then toooooo big) and i now know the first lot of larmair is going to be way too small)

I just saw actual fascated cognac amner beads that 'might' be perfect but they are $10 each not even taking into account shipping and for what i need that would double the price ive spent just on the initial necklace ... so deep breath - no, its the very back of the necklace and citrene will do fine

There is no way im doing the findings or the pearl order till i learn how to measure reliably

Sigh
:wall:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
How are everyone's repairs, resizing and alterations going ?
Isn't shipping painful slow :confused:

i havn't heard from the jewler about my last lot of repairs but ill leave it a week or two more as we have a tonn of bills and an over night in Porirua for Gary's eye opp coming up so im not pushing anything in a hurry

Everything hasn't quite ground to a halt bling spending wise - Bruce Springsteen's tour is at least a year away

On my seemingly never ending necklace renovations its now a race of who gets in first to be made wearable

Hopefully the right size citrene is on its way for the small extension of the yellow amber necklace - trouble is i've now fallen in love with the 12mm 'Papa Bear' citrene fasceted beads (that were too big) and i think i want to order more to make a long flapper length necklace :lol-2: :lol-2:

But i think the rather lovelly larmair beads to conplete one of the Whitby jet necklaces may arrive from France first
What also works in its favour is i want to use silver findings as the lady I'll send it to for stringing will be able to supply them herself so i won't need to tackle etsy for any more parts

Im hoping her knotting prices are a bit easier on the pocket than the jewler in town

Of course ive now fallen in love with the first lot of larmair beads too and want to make a necklace out of them
But like the citrene that's a project and a subsequent purchase for another day

The new necklace won't be a station necklace, it will alternation black and blue
There are enough nice lamair beads to only use the nicest ones
Borris is helping
20220529_220949.jpg
I'm bad, ive posted this lamair in 3 threads now
but i just love them

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a couple of rings that need resizing, the price I have been quoted was ridiculous, £120 for going up two UK sizes for just one 18ct gold solitaire. Not in a hurry.

That seems a lot even for 18K
i might get a quote first now
Might go in on Friday

I have a couple of rings that need resizing, the price I have been quoted was ridiculous, £120 for going up two UK sizes for just one 18ct gold solitaire. Not in a hurry.
That seems a lot even for 18K
i might get a quote first now
Might go in on Friday

£120 might actually be not too bad unfortunately. I've gotten quotes from 2 jewelers and they both happen to charge $100 to size down a plat ring :(2

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock
£120 might actually be not too bad unfortunately. I've gotten quotes from 2 jewelers and they both happen to charge $100 to size down a plat ring :(2

I looked into having a couple of speed bumps added to a pinky ring and was quoted $100; $50 per speed bump.
In 2020 I paid only $40!!

I also want all of the 14k jump rings on my home made dangle necklace soldered. Was told $30 per solder and there are 16 jump rings. I hate paying $480 + tax to solder jump rings!!!

Heck for 50% less, I could get the 14k white gold pendant setting I want for my little champagne diamond!!

I looked into having a couple of speed bumps added to a pinky ring and was quoted $100; $50 per speed bump.
In 2020 I paid only $40!!

I also want all of the 14k jump rings on my home made dangle necklace soldered. Was told $30 per solder and there are 16 jump rings. I hate paying $480 + tax to solder jump rings!!!

Heck for 50% less, I could get the 14k white gold pendant setting I want for my little champagne diamond!!

Crazy right? Plus, in order to resize my wedding band, I would need to re-engrave it. The jewelers graciously waved the fee to remove the existing engraving. But it'd be another $80 or so to put the engraving back. That's $300 just so I can wear my wedding set comfortably again, which I guess in the grand scheme of things isn't that bad. But ugh...

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock
Hi All.
I need some PS advice. Last week I received my ring and noticed that the East/ West prongs hug the gemstone pavilion, but the North/ South prongs don't (see pics). In addition, one of the prongs is shaped like a button prong, whereas the other three are shaped more like baby claw prongs.

I reached out to the jeweler who advised that the prongs are not supposed to be the same, they need to differ in order to support the stone securely.

I think that's rubbish, but before I send my ring back for correcting, I'd like some feedback for guidance. Please advise. Thank you!!
A1F2858F-9EB9-4C5B-B1C2-BE7ED2877ED8.jpeg

Attachments

• B5125401-F375-46CC-BD2C-C2C0ADDF3C5A.jpeg
    B5125401-F375-46CC-BD2C-C2C0ADDF3C5A.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 19
I had a 3-stone semi-mount that took me a while to finally set something in it. The ring had a broken prong that I hadn't noticed in the original ebay listing (I was younger and less experienced then!). So I held off until I found a stone I felt was "worth" the additional expense of repairs.

Oh! And I think I mentioned before, there was a huge crack along the center basket that was not disclosed by the seller. It required laser welding to fix, which meant more $.

Anyways, as some of you may have guessed, I ended up choosing a fabulous neon purple sapphire for the center. I love this ring so much that I even chose it as my avatar!

Enough chit chat. Time for photos!

(Apologies in advance for the fuzzy pics; they were taken quite a few years ago...)

ring mount ebay listing pic.jpg indoor profile view~2.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi All.
I need some PS advice. Last week I received my ring and noticed that the East/ West prongs hug the gemstone pavilion, but the North/ South prongs don't (see pics). In addition, one of the prongs is shaped like a button prong, whereas the other three are shaped more like baby claw prongs.

I reached out to the jeweler who advised that the prongs are not supposed to be the same, they need to differ in order to support the stone securely.

I think that's rubbish, but before I send my ring back for correcting, I'd like some feedback for guidance. Please advise. Thank you!!
A1F2858F-9EB9-4C5B-B1C2-BE7ED2877ED8.jpeg

You must be best starring your own thread for this, so more people with the good eye spot it and can give you good advice
this one doesn't get a lot if traffic

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a 3-stone semi-mount that took me a while to finally set something in it. The ring had a broken prong that I hadn't noticed in the original ebay listing (I was younger and less experienced then!). So I held off until I found a stone I felt was "worth" the additional expense of repairs.

Oh! And I think I mentioned before, there was a huge crack along the center basket that was not disclosed by the seller. It required laser welding to fix, which meant more $.

Anyways, as some of you may have guessed, I ended up choosing a fabulous neon purple sapphire for the center. I love this ring so much that I even chose it as my avatar!

Enough chit chat. Time for photos!

(Apologies in advance for the fuzzy pics; they were taken quite a few years ago...)

ring mount ebay listing pic.jpg indoor profile view~2.jpg

Wow !
That was worth waiting for !
How trully wonderful for the setting to be brought back to life with such a fabulous new stone !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Crazy right? Plus, in order to resize my wedding band, I would need to re-engrave it. The jewelers graciously waved the fee to remove the existing engraving. But it'd be another $80 or so to put the engraving back. That's $300 just so I can wear my wedding set comfortably again, which I guess in the grand scheme of things isn't that bad. But ugh...

Sigh
But im guessing it is the most important piece of jewlery you own

I mean we have to fork out more for this for car repairs and home maintenance just as a given

Its a pain right now, but its going to be money well spent

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results