shape
carat
color
clarity

show me your fixed repairs

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i want to see and hear some stories about things that may have laungished in the back of a drawer neglected and unworn because something needed to be fixed
- big or small jobs,
i want to see them all,
even a resize,
lets celebrate and hero them !
that the piece is happily back in rotation in your jewlery wardrobe

for me 2022 is going to be the year to make everything wearable,
so i have a lot of little repairs and alterations on my dance card

who has the oldest piece that has been sadly unworn the longest ?

Belledenuit7

Rough_Rock
For me it would be this vintage sapphire ring; I didn't love it because the melee was so "dark" and dull, so I had it exchanged (again, the first time six years ago for allegedly G/SI that turned out to be badly cut and this time for DEF/VS well cut :)). Looks much better.
And then I want to turn some white gold pieces into yellow gold this year too, because I don't like wearing white anymore... I have currently a pair of WG dormeuse earrings at the jeweller's, so I can post the result later, if it's of interest :)
20220215_162721.jpg

Attachments

• 20220111_110003.jpg
    20220111_110003.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 44

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me it would be this vintage sapphire ring; I didn't love it because the melee was so "dark" and dull, so I had it exchanged (again, the first time six years ago for allegedly G/SI that turned out to be badly cut and this time for DEF/VS well cut :)). Looks much better.
And then I want to turn some white gold pieces into yellow gold this year too, because I don't like wearing white anymore... I have currently a pair of WG dormeuse earrings at the jeweller's, so I can post the result later, if it's of interest :)
20220215_162721.jpg

Defiantly of intetest !
I love how you didn't give up and now you love it !

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not the story you are looking for but it reminds me of the time I was in a similar situation.

I had a bunch of fine jewelry that I didn't wear for years...either because they needed repairs or because they didn't fit after I had kids. One year on a holiday trip to mom's, I decided to take everything to my her jeweler who did very affordable work.

I took everything out and packed them in plastic bags. When I was ready to take them to the jewelers (after Christmas), I couldn't find them. Figured I must have left them at home. Nope. Never found them. My guess is I might've put them in one of the bags full of Christmas presents that got thrown out. :cry2:

Anyway, may you be more successful in your 2022 commitment and please be sure to show us your progress!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not the story you are looking for but it reminds me of the time I was in a similar situation.

I had a bunch of fine jewelry that I didn't wear for years...either because they needed repairs or because they didn't fit after I had kids. One year on a holiday trip to mom's, I decided to take everything to my her jeweler who did very affordable work.

I took everything out and packed them in plastic bags. When I was ready to take them to the jewelers (after Christmas), I couldn't find them. Figured I must have left them at home. Nope. Never found them. My guess is I might've put them in one of the bags full of Christmas presents that got thrown out. :cry2:

Anyway, may you be more successful in your 2022 commitment and please be sure to show us your progress!

I know that feeling:cry2:
i had a few things still in their store ring boxes tucked into a bubble wrap postage bag
we had a huge clear out after unpacking from moving and ive never seen them since
I keep hoping they will turn up but its been 3 years now
Im sorry this also happened to you

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I'm in the same camp. It's gotten so frustrating that I'm doing the minor jobs myself, and naturally that's difficult and leaves an imperfect result. But it's better than being treated like a nuisance, told that OECs are inferior to MRB so they should be recut, paying through the nose for the work, and then finding the stones damaged by the bench, and the welds sloppy and rough. Argh.

Can you tell I have been struggling with this?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds I'm in the same boat! I have so many repair projects on my to-do list, it's grown overwhelming. :( I don't have a trusted jeweler, so I'm not quite sure where to start.

I live in a small provincial city i have no history with
I just took a walk down the main street and found the local family jewler
It sells silver and crystal gift lines and the sign on the door displays the longevity of the bussiness
it has a bench of younger ones right behind the counter and an older jewler out back
Times are tough here in the main street
People (us included) are still living like its lockdown
i took in the simplest stuff first including a silver ring resize to try them out
So far so good
Have the next lot in there now which includes some engraving and a pearl restringing which i think they outsource - that's also a test before i get mum's strand restrung
I'm in the same camp. It's gotten so frustrating that I'm doing the minor jobs myself, and naturally that's difficult and leaves an imperfect result. But it's better than being treated like a nuisance, told that OECs are inferior to MRB so they should be recut, paying through the nose for the work, and then finding the stones damaged by the bench, and the welds sloppy and rough. Argh.

Oh dear
That's very frustrating
How can anyone in today's environment affort to turn work down ?
no one knows what elaborate and highly profitable job we might bring in next !
I admite you for doing your own minor stuff - i just dont have the dexterity or the neatness not too mentioned bionic eye sight required ! I couldn't even adaquiltly replace a jump ring the other day

But i bet you are getting better and better at it
- at least then your pretties are wearable again

Its very bad you have had things damaged, that's why im approaching this whole lengthy endeavor very cautiously

better luck moving forward

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do find these funny little relatively inexpensive threads of mine do help me a lot to get stuff
This was my first batch - started off with the inexpensive fixes first -( i have at least 4× 18k rings to go up a size)

*i really love these apricot freshies but they were the tinnest smudgin too tight to do up eaiserly with my fat fingers and for me these are quite large pearls
- fixed with a small extension of gold chain

*my late mother in law's silver hoop earings didn't have the original backs and i was having yuckt reactions to the nickel
fixed - new ss butterflies

*my silver peridot ring that had never been worn because it was too tight
- fixed - very happy with the resize

*my mall jewler pink freshwater pearl earing had come unstuck from its post
i knew i should have fixed it but i just did not have faith in myself
Fixed

20220220_104004.jpg

$12,95 for the new butterflies and $105 for all the rest
But more importantly all is now wearable again

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My next lot is in there now - they said about 2 weeks - i said no worries nothing is urgent
got new earing backs as these were a bit heavy for my ears and made my earlobes look funny
$3.50 ! For those plastic disk backs
How simple is that ! :appl: - i even had the change in my purse

20220220_104157.jpg

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now im waiting on my multi strand baroque pink mall jewler pearl necklass that needed one strand reattached (very annoying as if just like the matching stud, if i had worn it when it was new it would have been covered under warranty)

A silver hoop earing that needs its catch thing retentioned

My Tinky Pandora cat pendent that I'm getting Tinky engraved on (he gave it to me for xmas one year)
Also getting a new jump ring thingy on the end of its silver chain (i had fixed that before with one i had lying around and its gone rusty - not a nice look for Tinky)

And getting my silver rope chain shortened - its about an inch too long and dangles annoyingly- also getting a new catch for it as i broke it polishing it a bit too vigorously - and its having a clean - that one is going to be about $35 plus the new catch due to it being a rope chain - but its a lovelly thick one and I'd wear it more if it was a tiny bit shorter - and that's the whole idea of this thread !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is true i am procrastinating today :lol-2:

This should me my last rambling post for a few hours :lol-2:

I have an embarrassing about of earings that just need replacement backs- its instant gratification for so little money - :appl: :appl: :appl:
So im going to continue to take a pair in each time !

Next up if the pearls come back looking good im taking in the too tight (its like everything i own is too tight:cry2:) amber necklace with the recently purchased- yet to arrive - citrene beads to extend it at the back - and it'll need a 9/10 k catch

By then the lady i found on the internet who has a home studios where she makes silver jrwlery way out in the back blocks of Canterbury somewhere and she also does pearl restringing, silver and costume jewlery repair - who was just overwhelmed with repairs from lockdown - well i really want to try her out and finally from March she will be taking on new work- so because i had to buy something elce with the citrene beads i am going to send her this necklace to extend with beads randomly placed in the chains - becsuse its too bl**dy tight too :angryfire: :boohoo: :cry2:and she can fashion some kind of extender/ counter weight that will look pretty when my hair is up

I know my little projects arnt really PS worthy but in sticking to my rule
nothing new till everything elce is fixed and wearable !

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock

Same here. Still searching for a good local bench who know how to handle antiques, and so far I've had mixed results. I'm very tempted to try out some of the PS recommended custom/repair vendors in the US, but since I'm in Europe, having to post stuff and the potential re-importation issues are making me hesitant.

I do find these funny little relatively inexpensive threads of mine do help me a lot to get stuff
This was my first batch - started off with the inexpensive fixes first -( i have at least 4× 18k rings to go up a size)

*i really love these apricot freshies but they were the tinnest smudgin too tight to do up eaiserly with my fat fingers and for me these are quite large pearls
- fixed with a small extension of gold chain

*my late mother in law's silver hoop earings didn't have the original backs and i was having yuckt reactions to the nickel
fixed - new ss butterflies

*my silver peridot ring that had never been worn because it was too tight
- fixed - very happy with the resize

*my mall jewler pink freshwater pearl earing had come unstuck from its post
i knew i should have fixed it but i just did not have faith in myself
Fixed

20220220_104004.jpg

$12,95 for the new butterflies and $105 for all the rest
But more importantly all is now wearable again

@Daisys and Diamonds these look fabulous after the rehab! The apricot/pink pearls are gorgeous, perfect size and shape to my eyes. I love what you've done with the chain extension.

I love this thread - hopefully I can come back with more success than fail stories.

Beagles

Shiny_Rock
It's so satisfying to get pieces fixed, isn't it? After years of worrying about my engagement ring and a right hand band getting too tight (thank you arthritis), I took them to my jeweler and got them resized -- very reasonable cost and they are comfortable again!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Same here. Still searching for a good local bench who know how to handle antiques, and so far I've had mixed results. I'm very tempted to try out some of the PS recommended custom/repair vendors in the US, but since I'm in Europe, having to post stuff and the potential re-importation issues are making me hesitant.

@Daisys and Diamonds these look fabulous after the rehab! The apricot/pink pearls are gorgeous, perfect size and shape to my eyes. I love what you've done with the chain extension.

I love this thread - hopefully I can come back with more success than fail stories.

Oh dear
There must be someone
why are some things so hard ?
I guess im fortunate most of my wee things didn't cost a lot but i remember being very nervous when we lived in Wellington finding someone to size my grandma's and her sister's E rings so i could wear them
i just happened to have lucked right into a very reputable establishment

But antiques are a different matter
Best of kick finding the perfect bench
Is their a jewler in your town who specializes in estate jewlery maybe ?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's so satisfying to get pieces fixed, isn't it? After years of worrying about my engagement ring and a right hand band getting too tight (thank you arthritis), I took them to my jeweler and got them resized -- very reasonable cost and they are comfortable again!

That's wonderful you are wearing them again
they must have felt so lonelly and left out always being left at home tucked away safe but never worn

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Very inspiring, @Daisys and Diamonds ! Hopefully some of your motivation will rub off on the rest of us! Until then, I'll be cheering you on from the bleachers.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds Thanks to your inspiration, I took a huge leap of faith today and took 3 repair projects to the jeweler!!! I want to express my appreciation to @Polyhex who recommended a bench jeweler near my office whom she had used before to great success. I'll have everything back by Monday, and am really looking forwarding to sharing an update on the results! I'm really hopeful his work is good, and if so, I have another half-dozen+ projects for him.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds Thanks to your inspiration, I took a huge leap of faith today and took 3 repair projects to the jeweler!!! I want to express my appreciation to @Polyhex who recommended a bench jeweler near my office whom she had used before to great success. I'll have everything back by Monday, and am really looking forwarding to sharing an update on the results! I'm really hopeful his work is good, and if so, I have another half-dozen+ projects for him.

Im so excitted for you ...and especially for the 3 pieces of jewlery
looking forward to photos

Best of luck for a stella job and at a reasonable price too

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very inspiring, @Daisys and Diamonds ! Hopefully some of your motivation will rub off on the rest of us! Until then, I'll be cheering you on from the bleachers.

I feek quite honoured to have inspired you (now have fingers and toes crossed they do the best job at the repairs)
I have such a mottly collection compared to most of PS but all broken and unworn jewlery is sad, because someone once loved it enough to wear it

i took a look at my list last night and was able to tick quite a few off but i still have 6 rings to resize and a list long enough $$$$ to buy something nice (whispering) ....down the mall :lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Got a text from the jewler my repairs are waiting
Might go tomorrow, last time i went before work and overheated walking up the hill to work in the midday sun

so just looking out the next bits and bobs to go in
im getting to the rats rather than the mice now
Be interesting to see how my pearl restringing went

I saw these clasps on PS over a year ago - thanks you to the kind person who posted them- (can't rush there things) so ive just emailed for a shipping price to NZ
Screenshot_20220301-110918.png

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dang !
Have to work tomorrow and the rest of the week as my work mate is crook
but its great news she doesn't have covid so im not complaining

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
$55 + $25 for the engraving
That mustn't include the pearls ?
Maybe if its not hot i could walk in early ??

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds I picked up my repairs today, and everything is in excellent shape! 1 small stone re-set into a band (I had accidentally caught it while working in the kitchen and ripped the stone clean out of the band. yikes!), a teeny-tiny melee stone re-set into a pendant (popped out while taking a spin in the ultrasonic cleaner), and a stone put back in my DBTY necklace which had popped out of its bezel (another victim of the ultrasonic cleaner). Grand total for all 3? $25! I couldn't believe it!! I immediately handed him another handful of repairs! Having a ring resized just a smidge, taking 2 stones out of settings, shortening a chain, and rotating an OEC in a pendant so the flea bite on its edge will be hidden under prongs. I'm over the moon! Thank you for the motivation!!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds I picked up my repairs today, and everything is in excellent shape! 1 small stone re-set into a band (I had accidentally caught it while working in the kitchen and ripped the stone clean out of the band. yikes!), a teeny-tiny melee stone re-set into a pendant (popped out while taking a spin in the ultrasonic cleaner), and a stone put back in my DBTY necklace which had popped out of its bezel (another victim of the ultrasonic cleaner). Grand total for all 3? $25! I couldn't believe it!! I immediately handed him another handful of repairs! Having a ring resized just a smidge, taking 2 stones out of settings, shortening a chain, and rotating an OEC in a pendant so the flea bite on its edge will be hidden under prongs. I'm over the moon! Thank you for the motivation!!!

This is wonderful :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
And the pieces themselves must be overjoyed to be back in rotation :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:
It seems such little money to make a piece complete again =)2
I look forward to your nect update !

Im thinking with the price of gold, ring up-sizing might be a little more just now but ill just get mine done one at a time

im thinking about wearing in my synthetic tourmaline/ most likely pink glass and getting it tested- its been a year since i cleaned it up and found out the old and odd very large brass ring in a junk box of mum's c/o my sister was in fact 9k rose gold

you can see it's now tight on my finger so still too early in the year for sizing rings i feel :(2

Attachments

• 20220301_191151_001.jpg
    20220301_191151_001.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 46

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Finally got into the jewlers
Gulp
I need to learn how to string pearls

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I left my rose gold pink glass/ synthetic tourmaline ring there
For $5 they will test it

Also they will set outside stones
and very excitingly it will be possible to alter the setting so the stone sits east west which is brilliant news.

I also left a pair of pearl earings to be fixed (i took them to Wellington when Mel was in the hospice and they broke in my wallet - i know - i know - i thought they would be safe in the coin purse part ...dumb me)

And i left grandma's pearl brooch to have a bail put on so i can wear it like a necklace
That's about enough this visit as i have two lots of proprty taxes to pay
But next time I'll bring in a ring to be sized as its cooler now and my fingers have shrunk back down

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Excellent update, @Daisys and Diamonds! I can't wait to see the ring once they rotate the stone east/west!

I've worked through pretty much all of my repairs & alterations for the moment. I'm so happy to be caught up!! The two rings I had sized are perhaps a bit too big now, but not so much I can't wear them. They just rotate a bit. But we're about to go into warmer weather, so that should alleviate that problem for a little while.

Next thing I need to do is take two diamonds over to GIA to have reports done, but that is yet again feeling overwhelming. Hopefully I'll screw up the courage soon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results