shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your favorite celebrity/politician/etc pearls!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gayle King wearing what looks like fab fireballs this morning. Btw, that's not a joke for time and temp - 2F this morning ;(

20150220_090641.jpg

20150220_090635.jpg

JillyC

Shiny_Rock
I saw those pearls on Gayle King this morning! I kept hoping she'd gets lots of camera time so I could enjoy them! Gorgeous! Even my uninterested husband noticed them. Thanks for the photo!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Is it me, or is Gayle wearing a lot of jewelry? I wear more jewelry than anyone I know, and it looks like a lot. I would have removed the chain, and probably the pendant. Gayle looks like she was afraid to leave anything behind in her hotel suite. :lol:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JillyC|1424453662|3835475 said:
I saw those pearls on Gayle King this morning! I kept hoping she'd gets lots of camera time so I could enjoy them! Gorgeous! Even my uninterested husband noticed them. Thanks for the photo!
I kept pausing TV to take a closer look :lol: and finally ran to get my phone.

ennui said:
Is it me, or is Gayle wearing a lot of jewelry? I wear more jewelry than anyone I know, and it looks like a lot. I would have removed the chain, and probably the pendant. Gayle looks like she was afraid to leave anything behind in her hotel suite. :lol:
It's more than I would wear but sorta goes together. I find that many TV hosts wear very substantial looks on air.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting the picture of Gayle from this morning. I was hoping someone would. She might have needed the chain to frame the pearls because on camera they might have blended in to much with the white top. I thoought she looked great. I have been known to wear a diamond necklace with my pearls or a long chain framing a strand or two as well :mrgreen:

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
My mother always swore by the 11 rule...11 accessories (earrings count as one, not two) Handbag, shoes (other than plain), belts, and all jewelry.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gayle always wears over-the-top accessories. I think they go with her personality.

Debbie Allen was wearing a multiple tiered grey strand the other night (baroque akoya? grey freshies? I couldn't tell). I wish I could find a picture. I paused the TV so I could stand right up close and look but it was too fuzzy.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
The Independent Spirit Awards are this afternoon. It's a very casual event, on the beach in Santa Monica, but there might be pearls. I'll be watching to see if Frances McDormand wears her Tahitian ropes again. The broadcast is live this year, which is new.

Academy Awards tomorrow, but that's usually diamonds.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. Lupita Nyong'o in Calvin Klein ... that dress has 6,000 pearls! No photo yet. I bet that dress is heavy.

I love Cate Blanchette in black & turquoise. There are gemstones mixed in, so I'll have to look it up later.

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Lupita's 6,000 pearl dress is gorgeous; she is quoted as saying it's surprisingly comfortable.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
pearldress.jpg
Here is a picture of her dress, I'll try and find a closer pic.

She looks stunning (I mean she is always stunning, but she makes that dress look magnificent)

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oscar night had lots of pearls! I can't find many of them, but here's a few:

Viola Davis' pearl necklace:

And as others have posted, that pearl dress! (edit: apparently it's a mix of fake ones and real ones, probably to keep both costs and weight down)

viola_davis_necklace.jpg

valadon_necklace.jpg

pearl_dress.jpg

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
I had not read that a mix of pearls was used, but makes sense...unless they had use soufflé pearls!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pearl dress is stunning. I guess next time DH makes a comment about the quantity of pearls I'm wearing, I can show him that dress :cheeky:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now which ones are the real ones.....

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
The designer says they are real pearls (again, misuse of the word "natural," but we get his meaning):
Lupita Nyong’o graced the Oscars red carpet on Sunday night in a custom Calvin Klein gown handmade by Francisco Costa.

"The design of the dress was initially inspired by iconic images by Horst and Cecil Beaton," Costa told the News on Sunday. "Lupita looked stunning tonight and the dress perfectly flattered her figure and personality and well represented the house of Calvin Klein."

The stark white creation was made with no less than 6,000 white pearls, combined with metallic tulle and silk lame.

"Working closely with Lupita over the past few months," said Costa, "we decided to use natural pearls to create a truly modern, timeless dress that compliments her style and echoes the aesthetic of Calvin Klein Collection."

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, now all the articles are saying that the pearls are all real...but the one I pulled the closeup picture from had said a mix of real and faux. Of course, it seems to have disappeared now, so maybe it was wrong and got pulled.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
OMG! The pearl dress has been stolen!

"The $150,000 pearl-adorned dress Lupita Nyong'o wore to this year's Academy Awards has been reported stolen, sheriff's officials said Thursday.

"Deputies responded to a West Hollywood hotel late Wednesday after the custom Calvin Klein Collection by Francisco Costa dress was reported missing from the actress's hotel room, sheriff's Sgt. Richard Bowman said.

"Bowman said Nyong'o was present when deputies took a report about the theft.

"Detectives were at the hotel Thursday looking for clues, including whether surveillance footage would reveal what happened to the elaborate gown."

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, well that is unfortunate!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On a happier note, did anyone else see Gayle King this morning? It looked like she was wearing two Gelner black spinel/Tahitian ropes layered with a beaded rope. I kept standing close to the tv to get a better look.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
cmd2014|1425047840|3839094 said:
On a happier note, did anyone else see Gayle King this morning? It looked like she was wearing two Gelner black spinel/Tahitian ropes layered with a beaded rope. I kept standing close to the tv to get a better look.
I clicked over, and yes, it looks like two Tahitian / spinel necklaces, a long chain, and another pearl link necklace. The T/spinel necklaces might not be Gellner; I've seen that design in a few places, including HSN.

Imho, Gayle's wearing too much again. Nothing stands out.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Aaaand, the pearl dress has been recovered. The thief is saying the pearls are fake.

"Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department Lieutenant Michael White told reporters at a Friday news conference that they received a call around 3 p.m. local time from a media outlet who reported hearing from an anonymous caller that the dress had been returned to the London Hotel.

"The media source said the thief removed two pearls from the dress and took them to the Garment District in downtown Los Angeles where they were told they were not real, according to White.

"Nicole Nishida, a spokeswoman with the department, later confirmed that the media source was TMZ.

"The thief then took the dress back to the London West Hollywood hotel and said it was in a garment bag inside a trash bag in a bathroom, White said."

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
Difference between real and fake pearls...theft and grand larceny. I have no doubt the pearls on that dress are real.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Last I heard, there's a debate over whether it's the same dress. I did think it was interesting that the dress was stolen for the pearls. Also, I gather there are people who have private collections of stolen merchandise.

Last year, Cate Blanchett wore a dress worth $18m, but the pearl dress is getting far more attention.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
cmd2014|1425254839|3840452 said:
Apparently Calvin Klein reps have now indicated that they never said that the pearls were real. It seems like the only one who said they were was Lupia's stylist.
As I posted above, Francisco Costa, the guy who made it, said they were real pearls.

My theory is that one of Calvin Klein's enemies stole the dress to expose the fake pearls. :lol:

Lisa C

Rough_Rock
I can't seem to get good pics of them but character Erin Strauss, Section Chief, on series Criminal Minds. She had a gorgeous Tahitian short tin-cup necklace and drop earrings. She wore other pearls as well, but these glowed!

_27586.jpg

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Pharrell Williams states that he prefers “jewelry with healing properties.” He says, “For ages, I got it wrong. I was competing with others because I wanted to draw attention to myself. But, in the same way as I realized I wanted to put peaceful things in my music, I decided I should only be wearing jewelry with medicinal and holistic properties.” He goes on to say, “I don’t love jewels for what they represent. I love them for what they express, because they’re who I am inside.”

pharrell_0.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results