shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I upgrade or wait?

Macky

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

I have a beautiful engagement ring from Whiteflash. It is 2.53 carats, A City Above, J colour, an BS VS2 in clarity.

I'm thinking of taking advantage in the near future of Whiteflash's upgrade policy. In stock they have a 2.902 ct K VS1 A CUT ABOVE® Hearts and Arrows Diamond. The difference would be 900 dollars (plus 50 percent of the new setting unless the old setting could be used?)

Is it worth downgrading in colour and upgrading in clarity over a .40 carat difference? Is it better to wait till I can upgrade to a significantly larger stone?

Thanks all!

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think you will see much difference in clarity. It's a question of whether you'd prefer size over color.

The upgrade policy makes it tempting. Personally, I would not downgrade color for size, but I am very color sensitive. I would only upgrade if it's substantial and noticable with all other specs equal or better, but that's just me!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I would be really tempted with that lower price difference and the close to 3ct mark. What’s the difference in mm? You can use that calculator that shows the two sizes on the finger (I am sure someone on PS would have the link). I am curious to what others may think about the color change bc I am contemplating a similar change.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not color sensitive so it would likely be worth it for me. But other folks are different and more bothered by warmth

Macky

Shiny_Rock
The difference in mm would be:

8.79 x 8.81 x 5.45 to 9.15 x 9.25 x 5.64

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
The size will be somewhat visible. I am in the process of upgrading, going from 2.13 to 2.57 and it is worth to me. I also went down from H to I color knowing that in the future I will upgrade the color only as the size is satisfactory for me. Like you, I upgraded the clarity and went from VS2 to VS1 because clarity is more important to me than color. If you are ok with the color K, I would go for it.

If you’d like to get a feel for whether the colour would work for you, perhaps ask someone at WF to make a comparison video with a different 2.5 J and this K to see if you can spot/be bothered by the tint?

Personally, for me, if I were to upgrade I would like to upgrade size first, to get to the max size I’m happy with. Then upgrade colour back to levels I’m comfortable with. I feel like this is the best way to not have to keep buying new settings, which also adds up!

Macky

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your replies! Do you all think I would need to get a new setting? Would the 2.9 fit in my current setting?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your replies! Do you all think I would need to get a new setting? Would the 2.9 fit in my current setting?

I'm sure WF can answer that Q.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ditto @Dancing Fire

You didnt provide a link to your setting or a picture???

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
I second having WF take images of the 2.9 next to some J's. However, there can be such variance in J's and K's. If you have a high J and the 2.9 is a low K there might be an obvious difference, but maybe almost no difference if you have a low J and the 2.9 is a high K.

Did you get any comparison images of your stone from WF when you purchased it? You might be able to get an idea by comparing to new images of the 2.9 although the lighting could be different. You'd have to send it in to know for sure.

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
It can be hard to tell color face up. Did they send you side shots? I can see the difference in size, but not sure if it is noticeable enough for you. What size would you eventually like to end up at?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would do it!

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
And here are the images of the two diamonds from Whiteflash. Does the difference in size look noticeable? Does the K diamond look too yellow? Screenshot_20210724-110004_Gmail.jpg Screenshot_20210724-105926_Gmail.jpg .

I personally do not notice a difference in colour between the two stones (I think they are actually very close in colour in my opinion). I do however, see a distinct difference in size.
I would go for the larger stone. If you are planning to upgrade sometime in the future and decide over time you are not happy with the colour, then you can opt to go up in colour potentially then.
Good luck=)2

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a noticeable size difference and a bit of color difference as well. What did WF say about the color of the K diamond?

Macky

Shiny_Rock
There is a noticeable size difference and a bit of color difference as well. What did WF say about the color of the K diamond?

All they said was how pretty it was. My current setting is in yellow gold with yellow prongs and I would have the new one set the same way.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The choice is yours of course. Just bear in mind the price and that you would have to find another diamond above that price if you ever wanted to upgrade again. You would probably have to go over 3 carat in a J to get you over the price you will pay for the K. May not be an issue but just something to consider. I am color sensitive to a point so I am probably not the best one to give advice on this. Best of luck though - they are all beauties - and let us know what you decide!

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I'd eventually like to end up at 4.0. It's our 15 year plan. The only other photo they sent was this one. Screenshot_20210724-154318_Gmail.jpg

I can see more of a slight colour difference with this side on view, but that is where you see more colour anyway. I would personally (if I had to decide) go with the K, the size difference is more impactful in my opinion. Only you can decide though…

I don’t notice a difference in colour at all! But the difference in size is also subtler than I expected, somehow. I think upgrading for me would depend on the cost of the previous setting - would I have to eat a substantial cost, or is it cheap? Also what would the new setting cost? Since the eventual goal is to hit ~4ct.

Macky

Shiny_Rock
The total cost of the upgrade would be just under $2000. So not a huge amount but not insubstantial either.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you ask WF about your setting? I don't think its going to work. They may be able to replace the head on it (while keeping the shank).
It might just be worth accepting 1/2 value on your setting and going with a new one compared to the labor cost to rework your
current setting.

Macky

Shiny_Rock
Yes unfortunately I would have to get a whole new setting. If I bought the same setting as the one I have now the total cost of the upgrade would be just under $2000.

Alternatively I could add a halo or cluster setting to my existing ring?

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I'd eventually like to end up at 4.0. It's our 15 year plan. The only other photo they sent was this one. Screenshot_20210724-154318_Gmail.jpg

Negligible in my opinion $900 do it.

Yes unfortunately I would have to get a whole new setting. If I bought the same setting as the one I have now the total cost of the upgrade would be just under $2000.

Alternatively I could add a halo or cluster setting to my existing ring?

The only way I would add a halo or cluster setting is if you can find a way to reuse it down the line when you upgrade closer to 4ct, eg by popping in a coloured stone.

Would you be open to getting a cheaper setting? I think WF has settings that start at around $300-400 which are simple solitaire settings. If the cost of the setting would be negligible it would definitely incentivise me more towards upgrading. The cost of the stone itself is actually not that bad, but the setting is quite pricey it seems?

Macky

Shiny_Rock
Yes I'm not sure why the plain settings are so expensive. Unfortunately I have to go with an expensive setting that's at least equal in value to my current one (which was $1500) to take advantage of the 50 percent off upgrade of the setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results