shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I purchase this stone?!?!

rmvfc32513

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I have this stone reserved until Monday and need help deciding whether or not to purchase! Below are the specs, the ASET image, as well as the link to the James Allen page w/video and GIA report.

2.51 Ct. G-VS1 Emerald cut
Excellent polish, symmetry
Dimensions: 9.00*6.64*4.40
L/W 1.36
66.2% Depth
63% Table
Slightly thick - thick Girdle

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.51-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-757463

Thanks so much for the help choosing a stone for girlfriend! aset_77.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

rmvfc32513

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1460864126|4020272 said:

Thank you for the feedback, I have a few months so I'm not in a huge rush

rmvfc32513

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1460864126|4020272 said:

I'm relatively new to the diamond search and this was one of the first times I've looked at an ASET image, so if you don't mind me asking, why would you recommend against purchasing the stone I have on hold? Is it decent but I can do better, or is it just not a well cut stone?

Thanks so much!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

rmvfc32513

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1460910024|4020443 said:
Gypsy|1460863401|4020267 said:
Yeah, nice but not great.

Thanks for help Chrono. I need a stone by the end of June, do you think I'll be able to find a better stone in the approximately 2 months that I have or do you think I should play it safe & go with this stone? I really appreciate the help!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you plan on getting your setting from GOG, why not reach out to them to help you find a great EC? I'm not seeing anything WOW out there at the moment. Do check out Gypsy's suggestions too because she knows step cuts well.

rmvfc32513

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1460925948|4020525 said:
If you plan on getting your setting from GOG, why not reach out to them to help you find a great EC? I'm not seeing anything WOW out there at the moment. Do check out Gypsy's suggestions too because she knows step cuts well.

I checked GOG's online search but nothing came up unfortunately. I'm afraid that if I don't find something better within the next 2 months, then I might have lost out on a good option, even if it isn't great. Then I might have to scramble and buy something worse. I liked the way it looked in the video, it's dimensions are in-line with what I wanted, and I didn't want lower than G-VS1. Also the ASET image doesn't seem bad. I don't want to purchase if it's a mistake though, or if I would most probably be able to do better.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rmvfc32513|1460926867|4020530 said:
I checked GOG's online search but nothing came up unfortunately. I'm afraid that if I don't find something better within the next 2 months, then I might have lost out on a good option, even if it isn't great. Then I might have to scramble and buy something worse. I liked the way it looked in the video, it's dimensions are in-line with what I wanted, and I didn't want lower than G-VS1. Also the ASET image doesn't seem bad. I don't want to purchase if it's a mistake though, or if I would most probably be able to do better.
There is 1 EC in GOG's in-house inventory; it doesn't send my heart racing, but maybe Gypsy and/or Chrono will see it differently:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/2.73-Emerald-N-GIA-H-VS1-diamond-stock-12435-cert-1146650613

Here are the reasons I suggested, in your other thread, having at least an initial consultation with Brilliantly Engaged -- not Good Old Gold:
* GOG charges prospective customers to bring in stones that are not in their inventory; it's apparently not a flat fee because PSers have relayed various prices (and I couldn't find the fee on their web site), but $200 - $300 is my sense of what's par for the course. It's intended to cover the costs of delivery/return of outside stones, plus providing the ASET image & videotaping, which is wholly understandable -- and it is credited against your purchase of the outside stone, should you buy it.
BE will "call in" stones at no charge to you (altho' I suppose it's possible they might eventually charge for a difficult customer who's turned down a number of stones that BE brought in based on the specs the customer had told them); provides ASETS; and because you can visit BE in person to see stones with your own eyes under different lighting conditions, you don't have to depend on a video.

* If you were interested in, e.g., a Beverly K setting or one of the other brands for which GOG is an authorized retailer, I'd be more than comfortable with that. But based on this PSers very recent experience, I would be very leery about you commissioning a custom setting from them:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-with-this-cad-please.219871/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-with-this-cad-please.219871/[/URL]

rmvfc32513

Rough_Rock
MollyMalone|1460930452|4020555 said:
rmvfc32513|1460926867|4020530 said:
There is 1 EC in GOG's in-house inventory; it doesn't send my heart racing, but maybe Gypsy and/or Chrono will see it differently:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/2.73-Emerald-N-GIA-H-VS1-diamond-stock-12435-cert-1146650613

Here are the reasons I suggested, in your other thread, having at least an initial consultation with Brilliantly Engaged -- not Good Old Gold:
* GOG charges prospective customers to bring in stones that are not in their inventory; it's apparently not a flat fee because PSers have relayed various prices (and I couldn't find the fee on their web site), but $200 - $300 is my sense of what's par for the course. It's intended to cover the costs of delivery/return of outside stones, plus providing the ASET image & videotaping, which is wholly understandable -- and it is credited against your purchase of the outside stone, should you buy it.
BE will "call in" stones at no charge to you (altho' I suppose it's possible they might eventually charge for a difficult customer who's turned down a number of stones that BE brought in based on the specs the customer had told them); provides ASETS; and because you can visit BE in person to see stones with your own eyes under different lighting conditions, you don't have to depend on a video.

* If you were interested in, e.g., a Beverly K setting or one of the other brands for which GOG is an authorized retailer, I'd be more than comfortable with that. But based on this PSers very recent experience, I would be very leery about you commissioning a custom setting from them:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-with-this-cad-please.219871/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-with-this-cad-please.219871/[/URL]

My hesitation about going in-person to get a stone is that I don't know what I'm doing, besides being able to analyze a GIA report. I know that I want a 2.5 ct EC that's G-VS1 (or better) with dimensions of atleast 9 mm by 6.6 mm, but I don't know how to judge a stone by it's looks or by its ASET image. Both Chrono & Diamondseeker recommended it to me in another thread and it met what I was looking for, so I requested the ASET image. Based on the feedback, it seems like the ASET image is good, but not great.

From my understanding James Allen and Enchanted diamonds are some of the only websites that both show videos and provide ASET images. This stone was the only EC that was recommended to me that also meets what I'm looking for, so I am afraid of missing out if something better doesn't come up in the next few months. I think that's why I am leaning toward playing it safe and just buying it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
See all the grey and blue? That means that the facets under the table are not going to be pretty dead. So... It's not a good stone even. It's just average. And with diamonds average means poor.

rmvfc32513

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1460957181|4020706 said:
See all the grey and blue? That means that the facets under the table are not going to be pretty dead. So... It's not a good stone even. It's just average. And with diamonds average means poor.

Do you think I'll be able to find a better 2.5 ct EC that's G-VS1 or better within the next 2 months?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results