shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I give a gift?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
So...here''s the situation...

We live in a row home where our back faces the back of another row home. Our neighbors behind us got engaged yesterday. Now, we''re not close--but we''re friendly with each other--smile, wave, friendly words in passing. We''re not "lets get together for dinner" friends by any means...but we''re alway polite.

Clearly, we know they got engaged...so, should I acknowledge this? I mean, we don''t have that kind of relationship at this point in time, and it''s not expected of us.

Opinions welcome! TIA
35.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I think an engagement card would be appropriate, if that. Sending a gift seems to be beyond the depth of your friendship and might obligate them to invite you to the wedding. I remember you saying that you always give a gift whenever you receive an invitation whether you attend or not. So I guess it depends where you see your relationship going in the future.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I have a similar relationship that you described with my neighbors and I NEVER would have expected anything from them when we told them we were engaged. I don''t think you need to give a gift in this case.

If you do give one, do you think they would assume you were fishing for an engagement party/wedding invitation?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I totally think you both are right....I am going to give them a card. I just wanted to make sure I wasn''t being cheap by not giving a present. Thanks ladies!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I''d give them an inexpensive bottle of wine. It''s nice to acknowledge their engagement but no need to overdo it.
1.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that a card is a good idea. It acknowledges the engagement without doing too much.

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to echo the card sentiment. When I got engaged, even from family, I didn''t expect anything, so cards were a very nice gesture.

dboatsupreme

Rough_Rock
I agree with everybody. Maybe some homemade cookies for a nice gesture? :)

jammie7979

Rough_Rock
I agree. You don''t need to give a gift. If you want to do something then a card would be fine.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely wouldn''t. In fact, I don''t think a single person got us an engagement present and I didn''t think twice about it! A card would be nice, but I don''t even think that is necessary.

I also agree that getting them a gift might make them feel obligated to invite you, which isn''t your intention.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results