shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I buy this diamond? Time sensitive, plz help.

ononeknee

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

First post here. I am looking at getting the ring very, very soon (in 24 hours?). I am thinking about getting it from James Allen. I am really happy with how it looks under the loupe and with the report. The price (~ $3500 after price scope discount :D ) also seems pretty good.

My main concern is the indented natural, which I am not familiar with...so I'm looking for comments on that, as well as the diamond in general. Is this a good deal? I can't really see anything with my naked eye. Even so, should I just ask them to set that part so that it is behind a prong as much as possible?

Should I buy this diamond? Anything else I should be concerned about? Any other loose diamonds in this range ($3500 o $4000) from James Allen that looks better?

Full stats are below:

Shape: Round
Carat weight: 0.78
Cut: Ideal
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Certificate: AGS
Depth: 61.9%
Table: 54.1%
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: Thin to slightly thick
Culet:
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 5.92*5.95*3.68
Crown Angle: 34.9
Crown %: 15.90
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 43.10

diamond.png

Attachments

• diamond.pdf
    660.3 KB · Views: 47

ononeknee

Rough_Rock
Also...definitely open to other diamonds as well.

Bigger is nice too :D

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Do you have the link to the JA website?

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Should be a good performer...it is an AGS 000 afterall. Is it eye clean to your specifications?

ononeknee

Rough_Rock
Well, it looks eye clean to me...but im looking for feedback from you guys. I'm new to this :).

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ononeknee|1315926214|3016495 said:
Well, it looks eye clean to me...but im looking for feedback from you guys. I'm new to this :).

we can't tell anything from the photo or the inclusion plot...you would have to ask JA or see it in person. I certainly don't see anything that looks troubling from the photo. JA has a 60-day return policy so if you are concerned perhaps get it shipped to you before you get it set? Or ask JA for an evaluation?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Should be a lovely stone. Call JA and ask them if its eye-clean.

noobiediamond

Rough_Rock
Looks like a great stone. The inclusion location looks like something that could easily be covered by a prong assuming the setter agrees to do so.

After a quick search it looks like a very fair price based on what else is out there.

Best of luck!!! Enjoy the sparkle :)

ononeknee

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. I'll be sure to post pics once I get everything sorted and make my final decision.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
When you receive it, make sure you look at it in all lighting conditions, especially dim or low light. Look to see if the stone shows dull or dark areas, especially in the center of the stone or around the edges. This stone has a higher crown and a smaller table. It will have a distinctly different look to it than a stone with a larger table and a lower crown. If you can, take your stone to some local retailers (don't tell them that you bought it online, but do tell them that you purchased it from a place that will allow you to return it if you are not happy with it) and compare it the stones they carry. Ask to see it in comparison to other AGS 0 stones (Jared's peerless, for example) and compare the stones in lighting that is away from the misleading store spotlights. Compare it to the store's other inventory.

Every diamond is different, even diamonds with same exact "specs" can look quite different due to the precision or lack thereof of the cutting, the difference in inclusions, or the type and quality of rough that the stone was cut from. So while it is true that an AGS 0 stone will have the potential to be a nice stone, it is also true that not all AGS 0 stones are alike. Each must be assessed on their own merits. Two people can look at the same AGS 0 stone and have different opinions of it, with some people preferring larger tables and others preferring smaller tables (just as one very over-simplifed example).

I was talking to a local jeweler the other day, and he made a great point. He said that he is adding online inventory to his store's website, because his customers are requesting it. But he said that one thing he does not like about online shopping is that customers don't realize that there is so much variation within cut grades, and that he believes there are many GIA EX or AGS 0 stones that are cut to the bottom of that standard that would be filtered out at the retail level, either by the stone owner who returns the stone, or by the customer comparing stones. These "bottom of the standard" stones are then returned to the wholesalers and recycled through other retail stores and online vendors. He said that comparing the stones in person is the only way you can weed out the "bottom of the standard" stones.

This is a long-winded way of suggesting that you do not leave out the important step of viewing your stone in all lighting conditions and comparing it to other stones before you commit to purchase it. Online vendors such as JA have good return policies which makes shopping with them as close to risk-free as you can get.

Don't mean to scare you, just to let you know that you may want to take these additional steps once you receive the stone. Choosing a stone with good potential from the numbers is only the beginning!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results