shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I buy a Secondhand TIffany Six Prong Ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jade888

Rough_Rock
Hi All!

I found this in the local classified ads regarding a secondhand Tiffany 6 prong ring for sale.

Specs
--------------------
carat: .27 ct
color: D
clarity: VVS2

The seller''s and her husband broke up and needs money so is selling her ring. Retail value for the ring is $1600 and she is selling it to me for $850. We will be able to resize the ring and get the diamond steam cleaned. Also, we will recieve the original Tiffany certificate as well.

Would like to know if you in my situation and would buy the ring? Is this a good buy? Any thoughts on buying a secondhand ring due to karma (bad marriage)?
eek.gif

I searched on pricescope and there is a loose diamond being sold by Whiteflash for $865. This is without the platinum setting.

Your inputs are greatly appreciated!
appl.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 5/27/2003 3:44:50 PM jade888 wrote:
The seller's and her husband broke up and needs money so is selling her ring. Retail value for the ring is $1600 and she is selling it to me for $850. We will be able to resize the ring and get the diamond steam cleaned. Also, we will recieve the original Tiffany certificate as well.

Would like to know if you in my situation and would buy the ring? Is this a good buy? Any thoughts on buying a secondhand ring due to karma (bad marriage)?
eek.gif

I searched on pricescope and there is a loose diamond being sold by Whiteflash for $865. This is without the platinum setting.

Your inputs are greatly appreciated!
appl.gif
----------------
Hi, Jade: I'm not so concerned about the "karma" aspect.....but I'm not a karma nut anyway.

If in your situation....no, I would not buy the ring. Why? A few reasons.

1) You have no way of knowing how well it is cut because Tiffany's doesn't provide that information on their "certification". Because CUT is THE MOST important aspect of a diamond's performance (shine, brilliancy, fire), I would want documentation to support that the cut is superior.

2) Tiffany's doesn't cut their own diamonds; they purchase them from the same suppliers that supply other jewelers. This means that the quality of their stones is no better than any other jeweler....and in fact, some of their stones may be inferior to those that can be found through vendors such as Whiteflash, GOG, Nice Ice, etc. who can provide documentation to verify the quality of the cut.

3) Ring-sizing doesn't cost that much, and you can walk into any jeweler and have them steam-clean your ring for free. As far as getting the "original Tiffany's certificate".....it doesn't do anything for you. Tiffany's extends service privileges to only the original owner and those don't pass to a secondhand owner, even with certificate in hand.

4) It's not a good deal. The fact that it was $1600 new and she's selling for $850 only means that you aren't paying the huge markup for the name. But you're not getting a better deal than you could on a comparable diamond, as you've noted.

Hope this helps.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not concerned about karma either, though I do think it exists...I don't think that it necessarily clings to inanimate objects!
2.gif
You can take the ring and make your own good luck with it.

Anyway that said--I think that the 'good deal' depends on your priorities. Many people go gaga over a Tiffang 6 prong ring. There are countless people on here who post about *the* setting and how they will pay 40% markup to get it (maybe they should buy the ring you are looking at $850 is a bargain to get that setting!) as the settings are only sold with the stones.

AL is right when he says that you don't know much about the Tiffany stone (unless the stone comes with more paperwork than just the letter from Tiffany). But maybe you really don't care. For a .27c stone..personally..I would buy the ring. Why? Well, I figure..for $850, you get the setting that everyone raves about, and a little stone. As you noted, a similar stone is on Whiteflash for similar amounts without the setting. THE setting is the only real reason I'd advise to buy this ring. Kind of like a souvenir or something. The diamond inside is like a perk--though it is a colorless, almost flawless stone. That's kind of fun.

So if this setting really means alot to you, get the ring. You can probably have a non-Tiffany .50 stone set into it if you want over time and have it still fit within the head. But if you aren't as concerned about the setting and/or the prestige that comes with a Tiffany stone, put your money into a SuperIdeal excellently cut stone or an amazing H&A stone with Bscope reports off the charts. Now thats fun. And you aren't paying a markup really. That would tempt me. I like Tiffany stuff, if there wasn't a markup, I'd probably buy more. For e-rings and the like, I advise non-Tiff usually...but for no markup and such a low amount? Why not!

2.gif
Its really all about priorities. The $850 is a good deal for what you'd be getting. Many people would pay thousands to get that setting. But it may not mean much to you. Good luck!

jade888

Rough_Rock
Thanks Al and Mara for your insightful inputs!

Actually, this ring which I am thinkng of purchasing would be for an engagement ring. My girlfriend loves Tiffany & Co and I can't afford much at this moment. But, I plan on upgrading the diamond ring later on when things pick up.

Do you guys think this diamond too small for an engagement ring?

I'm from the Bay Area and I don't want to waste all of my money on her ring. We need money for the wedding and to buy a house as the cost of living here is ridiculously high.

Thanks again!

jade888

Rough_Rock
Thanks Al and Mara for your insightful inputs!

Actually, this ring which I am thinkng of purchasing would be for an engagement ring. My girlfriend loves Tiffany & Co and I can't afford much at this moment. But, I plan on upgrading the diamond ring later on when things pick up.

Do you guys think this diamond too small for an engagement ring?

I'm from the Bay Area and I don't want to waste all of my money on her ring. We need money for the wedding and to buy a house as the cost of living here is ridiculously high.

Thanks again!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like you may be stuck. If this is what you can afford, and if she loves Tiffany, then you may have to go with this.

No way, is there, for you to find out if she'd prefer a Tiffany of this size over a non-Tiffany of a much larger size?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay my two cents as a girl...if my guy was tight on budget and in your situation, I would DEFINITELY buy this ring. Here are my reasons (btw we live in the Bayarea too--weddings are pricey, we are getting married most likely in Hawaii with a smaller group of family & friends...cheaper too!!)....

I'd rather have a small Tiffany ring (if I knew there was no markup involved) than a non-branded small diamond. Also she can boast that it's a D color (or colorless) and almost flawless. As you noted, a similar stone (similar not really knowing much about cut that is) on WhiteFlash is around the same cost. That does not include the setting, which is what the hullabaloo is really always all about.

So would I..as a girl...choose a .27 D VVS2 Tiffany stone and ring over a .27 D VVS WhiteFlash stone in a typical Tiffany knockoff setting? YES. However, if that question changed and that .27 D VVS2 Tiffany stone and ring was the same cost as a .40c G SI1 WhiteFlash ACA stone in a typical Tiffany knockoff setting....that is a different story.

Your options are to either buy the Tiffany ring and give her a small engagement ring (its not too small btw, and as you noted you plan to upgrade later) that she can show to all her friends and say it's Tiffany...OR upgrade the stone and downgrade the color and clarity (though not eye visible to anyone!) and get her a bigger stone without the branded setting.

Both are not bad options. It's not as though you are paying the huge markup here, which is why I think your options are pretty good. You're being smart about spending your money, and you have your priorities straight. For a small engagement ring with no markup, I think this Tiffany could be a fun purchase...and gives you bragging rights with on additional $$!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just to confuse you...I looked up some H&A stones and found these all at WhiteFlash.

http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=471863

.40 F SI1 $878 ACA SuperIdeal H&A

http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=471886

.43 G SI1 $907 ACA SuperIdeal H&A

http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=366595

.44 G SI1 $858 ACA SuperIdeal H&A

http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=471857

.39 F SI1 $856 ACA SuperIdeal H&A

They are all A Cut Above SuperIdeal Hearts and Arrows stones. About 2 heads above what Tiffany can offer you (Tiffany does not offer H&A stones nor do they offer H&A SuperIdeal).

So if the new question was more along the lines of...the Tiffany .27c D VVS2 in the Tiff setting for $850 or any of the above stones for around the same price (though you have to add in $200 for a plat solitaire)....I don't know...things seem a little murkier to me now.
2.gif
The setting IS very cool, the real Tiffany one that is. But I don't know...a Tiffany .27 vs a superideal .44? There will be a huge size difference IMO to the naked eye.

But then again the Tiffany is $850 out the door while these would take pairing with a setting (about $200) so you'd spend around $1100 which may be over your budget. If all you can spend is $850 with a hard stop, I would definitely get the Tiffany.

Anyway--something else to think about.
1.gif

jlim

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 5/28/2003 12:45:27 PM Mara wrote:
Your options are to either buy the Tiffany ring and give her a small engagement ring (its not too small btw, and as you noted you plan to upgrade later) that she can show to all her friends and say it's Tiffany...OR upgrade the stone and downgrade the color and clarity (though not eye visible to anyone!) and get her a bigger stone without the branded setting.

----------------

Mara Mara - I'm surprised you changed your tone. So, 0.27 is not small anymore. Here's what you said 3 weeks ago.

"One of my friends is around 5'2", extremely small and thin (wears like a size 0 or girls 14), and she has a .30-.40c stone in her e-ring and its TINY."

Also, what bragging rights does one has for buying a appropriately priced Tiffany ring?? Hmm.. I'm confused.

Jade - here's a suggestion for you. Call Tiffany and see if they can locate around 0.27ct. D VVS2 ring for you and see what's the price. It might not be $850 but if it is say x% more, you might be willing to shell out a few hundred bucks more to get it *new* from the store and enjoy all the perks and benefits for buying directly from Tiffany. Not to mention their lifetime upgrade as well.

A buddy of mine just bought less than e vvs1/vvs2 and i don't believe it was an exhorbitant amount of money. i haven't had a chance to talk more about it with him. he called the store and they found him a ring based on his specs before he went in.

Interestingly, we live in different states and we both kinda started shopping for e-rings almost at the same time. He kinda like Tiffany/Cartier/Bvalgari settings and I just assumed my gf. will like a Tiffany. After 3 weeks, he bought from Tiffany and I'm buying from a vendor here (when I get the ring, propose etc. I'll post my *adventure*). I don't think he would ever buy from a vendor here but it was interesting 1 vendor here lost 2 sales for reasons not made known to me. Story to come in a month or two.

Btw, the platinum setting cost $300 not $200. And exactly, what does "superideal" means?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/28/2003 1:14:57 PM jlim wrote:

Mara Mara - I'm surprised you changed your tone. So, 0.27 is not small anymore. Here's what you said 3 weeks ago.

"One of my friends is around 5'2", extremely small and thin (wears like a size 0 or girls 14), and she has a .30-.40c stone in her e-ring and its TINY."

Also, what bragging rights does one has for buying a appropriately priced Tiffany ring?? Hmm.. I'm confused.

-----------------

I'm really not surprised you are confused. It seems to be a permanent condition.

My tone didn't change at all. If you'll note from the last 90 posts on this SAME topic..again, one of my biggest problems with Tiffany is the markup. Wasn't it around 70% last time we did this go-round? Jade won't be paying the markup. In my opinion, that immediately makes this stone and ring more desirable. It's his decision, however he wants to cut it, but he almost CAN'T get another ring like this for the same price, if you add in the plat setting and all that to an ACA stone, he will be going over his budget of $850. For the SAME PRICE, sure I'd buy the Tiffany ring.

As to bragging rights, I just don't think anyone has *earned* those bragging rights when they pay 70% markup to get them. Be smart and buy a hot, seriously marked up brand secondhand for 0% markup? That's bragging rights--not to mention just smart. Plus if his fiance feels at all insecure about having such a small ring (and if you want to push Jlim, I do think .27c is small, I was trying to be tactful for our poster who seems very friendly and non-confrontational as opposed to you), then she has the Tiffany name to feel better about. Plus as Jade also noted, he wants to upgrade later and doesn't want to spend his money on a ring right now--other priorities and all that jazz--in the Bayarea I can sympathize with him since I live here too.

That in a nutshell is a far cry from you who ran in here tooting about how you didn't want a big ring because they were tacky and material, and you had no problem dropping $4k on a Tiffany ring if they'd be sure to hold your hand and whisper sweet lifetime warranties in your ear.

BTW as the original poster noted, the original buyer paid $1600 for this ring. So that is what it would most likely cost in a store, depending on the locale. Not a large markup? Ding ding anyone home?!
3.gif

jlim

Shiny_Rock
Mara mara, at least I'm not confused as to my own diamond whose crown angle is soooo steep and I don't post a few times telling people that my diamond actually looks like a 1.35ct when in fact it is a 1.25 or whatever it is.

Just be consistent at least. That's all I'm saying.

Moving on...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 5/28/2003 1:28
6.gif
4 PM jlim wrote:

Mara mara, at least I'm not confused as to my own diamond whose crown angle is soooo steep and I don't post a few times telling people that my diamond actually looks like a 1.35ct when in fact it is a 1.25 or whatever it is.

Just be consistent at least. That's all I'm saying.

Moving on...

---------------

Gosh, is that all you could come up with Jlim? That post made no sense whatsoever. No wonder vendors are passing you up left and right.

BTW it's a shallow crown angle. Not steep. Just be correct. That's all I'm saying.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I'd get it... Tiffany diamonds are well cut and, quite frankly, it doesn't make THAT big a difference in a 0.27 if the stone is h+a or not... The pattern is so tiny
1.gif

BTW, sounds a VERY good bargain... If I were in you, I wouldn't miss it... Tiffany's setting is soooo beautiful!!

Edited to add: Jlim, do you really think what you write? If so, that's simply terrible!
eek.gif
Mara had been so tactful... Do you like to hurt people's feelings?
PPS. 0.27 isn't a huge diamond, but it isn't THAT small too!!!!!!! And don't forget that we're talking about a D, VVS, Tiffany ring!!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Mara... About your ding ding... I think he's on vacation
10.gif
3.gif

Adrienne

Shiny_Rock
For the record - during my first marriage I wore a .25 carat round brilliant that was I in color.... with nifty channel set diamonds.

Yeah, it might have been small, but I loved it!!! It was just perfect for us, and never once did I wish it was larger. I loved the diamond, I loved the setting, I wore that ring very proudly.

I think it all depends on your perspective - at that point in my life it was hard to come up with the money for that diamond, my ex-husband spent more then he had planned because he loved the sparkle of it and wanted me to have "the best". And again - I never wanted a larger diamond, I was incredibly happy with my .25 carat and the love of my man!

Maybe in this case it's the Tiffany setting, maybe you consider it to be "the best" for your girl. If so - congratulations on finding the perfect ring (at such an awesome price!)

-Adrienne

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Mara.....ROFLMAO.....perfect response on all counts!

Ya know, when I read your first comments, I just KNEW they would provoke that response, and sadly, I wasn't disappointed.

You handled it superbly! Kudos.

dimsummy

Rough_Rock
Jade888 - if you're of Chinese decent...someone in your family will say bring up the karma thing. (You got "lucky 888" in your name so you must believe in some of the stuff.)

Good luck!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/28/2003 4:40:33 PM aljdewey wrote:

Mara.....ROFLMAO.....perfect response on all counts!

Ha Ha! Ditto here. But Mara, maybe if you turn around 3 times and wish your diamond to be a D IF, it will be.

Geez, and it's only Wed.

I think the Tiffany ring is a nice touch. I'm in agreement w/ Mara.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/28/2003 5:22:45 PM fire&ice wrote:

But Mara, maybe if you turn around 3 times and wish your diamond to be a D IF, it will be.
----------------

Do I have to click my heels? Because you know....all women *really* want their stones to be D IF...or it's JUST NOT THE SAME.

Thanks AL...gotta have some afternoon entertainment!
9.gif
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results