shape
carat
color
clarity

should i be concerned

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter just the end 14 no. She really only says dad. Should I be concerned she doesnt say more words? I'm stressing out pretty bad about it :( :( :(

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mean she is very vocal. Just not a lot of actual words. She has hand gestures. And understands no and stuff.... but just doesn't say stuff. I think she may say dog, but it doesn't have a g sound on the end so who knows.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Niel, I wouldn't stress. My son wouldn't say anything, not even mama and dada at 15 months. My pedi said she'd start paying attention if it was the same way at 18 months. If your daughter has all other skill (fine and gross motor) and is interacting and hugging toys etc, give it a few more weeks. E finally started saying words @ 17 months, and then it was like a new word a day. So give her some more time.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
It's too early to be concerned. One of my twins was denied Early Intervention services because speech was the only thing he was behind at. I think they're more concerned with the 18 words at 18 months marker than what they're doing before that. That's not to say you can't keep a close eye on it. My almost 3yo was slow to start saying words too and now he's in speech therapy but there's no telling if that will be true for his brother, kwim? It's just a wait and see when they're that young.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lliang_chi|1378751267|3517355 said:
Niel, I wouldn't stress. My son wouldn't say anything, not even mama and dada at 15 months. My pedi said she'd start paying attention if. t was the same way at 18 months. If your daughter has all other skill (fine and gross motor) and is interacting and hugging toys etc, give it a few more weeks. E finally started saying words @ 17 months, and then it was like a new word a day. So give her some more time.

She has very good mortar skills and I can tell she's good at "getting things" she's always putting things in other things. always trying to take buckles and snap them together. She acts like she is reading books whrm she clearly csnt read. She also can get the concept of door knobs, just cant reach them. She doesn't really hug though. Hmmm

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's too early to tell too. Could I add some more too's? Jeez.

Our AEA representative that goes around to the houses and meets w/the families that are concerned about their children, I think she doesn't go until they're 2 or so? and they have to meet certain criteria for services.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too early to stress out. Below is from my state's early intervention program. Cause I had the same concerns with my child and actually searched for clinical criteria.

From 12-18 Months
Normal Language Milestones
· single-word productions begin
· requests objects: points, vocalizes, may use word approximations
· gets attention: vocally, physically, maybe by using word (such as "mommy")
· understands "agency": knows that an adult can do things for him/her (such as activate a wind-up toy)
· uses ritual words ("bye," "hi," "thank you," "please")
· protests: says "no," shakes head, moves away, pushes objects away
· comments: points to object, vocalizes, or uses word approximation

Clinical Clues / Cause for Concern at 18 Months
· lack of communicative gestures
· does not attempt to imitate or spontaneously produce single words to convey meaning
· child does not persist in communication (for example, may hand object to adult for help, but then gives up if adult does not
respond immediately)
· limited comprehension vocabulary (understands <50 words or phrases without gesture or context clues)
· limited production vocabulary (speaks <10 words)

ponderer

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn't be concerned. I have 3 little ones age 4 and under. Speech is extremely variable at this age. I would be more concerned about comprehension. Does she understand what you are saying to her and reacting appropriately? At my DS's 15 month checkup they wanted 5 words give or take. At 15 months he was saying mamma, dadda, ball, and mawmaw (grandma). They were more concerned with comprehension. At his 18 month check up on Friday they wanted 10 words. I could think of 8 or so. I am anxious to see what next month (19 months) brings because both my girls had a language explosion at that time. They went from a handful of words multi word phrases and literally new words every day.

I also have a niece that did not speak until after her 2nd birthday. She had major heart surgery right before her 2nd birthday and the hospital did a developmental evaluation after the surgery. They said she was fine even though she was behind the curve. Once she started talking she has not shut up. :bigsmile:

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Too early to worry. Our ped asked for 5 words at 18 months, and sound associations count as words (ex. uses woof woof for dog). Our ped gave us the phone number to call to set up a speech assessment with our county program when we expressed concerns about our DD, but told us to give it a couple more months. We never called the number. So maybe ask your ped for his/her opinion, and ask if your state has a program and the phone number/contact info for the program to have on hand.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Both of my girls were late talkers and they are both VERY smart. Don't worry.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I should add that (as was once explained to me) that kids often have the words in their heads but they cannot form them with their mouth yet. The best thing you can do is read, read, read to your kids. Even when they are that young. When my kids were little, we read like 7-10 books to them a night and they are both avid readers now. (almost too avid).

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My son didn't start talking until he was two. Now he's almost three and he talks up a storm, complete sentences, proper grammar and everything.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter didn't even call us mommy and daddy until she was over 2 years old. She was a late talker. Once she started, she never stopped. She was reading Harry Potter books in kindergarden. :shock:

EVERY kid speaks in their own time. I was just about to put Astrid in early intervention for speech. I decided to wait, and I'm glad I did....

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both of my sons said their first words at 14 months. Then they took off like crazy and have well-developed language skills now at just over two and 4.5 years. So, don't worry yet! The range of normal in child development is very very wide.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1379805065|3524978 said:
Both of my sons said their first words at 14 months. Then they took off like crazy and have well-developed language skills now at just over two and 4.5 years. So, don't worry yet! The range of normal in child development is very very wide.

this is so true! I have both that weren't really talking at a year and a half, a few words here and there. Then at 2 and a couple of months one is saying 2 words together, the other was a little behind and now he is saying sentences. We have a Speech Therapist and practiced, etc, which helped but I think on their own they decide, I am going to talk now. lol You have plenty of time. I have a friend whose son never spoke much until he turned 3 and he talks perfectly fine and he is 7 and doing wonderful in school. I will say it is hard not to compare your child with others but they all vary in development. Your daughter will be talking before you know it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys.

I can tell she is trying. When me or my SO are changing her, one of us will yell to the other in her room. She thinks we are talking to her, and tries to talk back butjust gibberish. She says "uh oh" CONSTANTLY.

I never new a child would just be constant worry. :/

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1380652730|3530252 said:
Thanks guys.

I can tell she is trying. When me or my SO are changing her, one of us will yell to the other in her room. She thinks we are talking to her, and tries to talk back butjust gibberish. She says "uh oh" CONSTANTLY.

I never new a child would just be constant worry. :/

Interesting that you mentioned "uh oh." I say it to B and now he's trying to say it. He can get the first syllable out but has a little trouble making the right sound on the second. He tries over and over...and I can see his little brain working. He will be 14 months on the 8th and doesn't use any real words. I have a feeling one day he will wake up and just start talking away.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a lot of valid points have been made, so I won't reiterate them. I had 4 kids in under 6 years and the last did not walk or speak (much) at 20 months!!!!!! I gotta tell ya - one day he stated walking (no crawling) and talking (simple sentences).I think he was saving it all up! People told me he wasn't talking b/c the siblings were talking "for" him, or that he was't walking b/c I carried him around so much - but my intuition told me he just wasn't programmed to do it yet. I'll never know who was right, but my message is - Don't Worry!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think you should be concerned at this point, but it is good to document the times that things happen, and keep an eye on it. My daughter was late but in the normal range for speaking, but to me, it seemed she was having difficulty with speech, but as she was in normal limits, I was told it was not a concern. Also, my brother spoke late, he was practically mute until 4, but when he spoke spoke in complete sentences.
DD turned 7, and since we started reading to her and for the past year or 2, is really not getting reading. So her speech language problems are now revealed in reading difficulties, and finally all parties are on the same page to evaluate her for dsylexia. So it's upsetting, but also a relief, because I kept being told nothing is wrong, when I felt, this is not right.

So it may mean nothing, or it may be something. Just be sure to document when things are learned, what things concern you, and keep the lines of communication open with your daughter's doctor and also her teachers as time goes on.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I'm going to be the odd one out and say that yes, I'd be concerned. Not overly so, but I would get an evaluation. I'm sure states all have their different ways of doing things, but here in Texas we have ECIS... early childhood intervention services... and they provide free testing for developmental things like language, gross and fine motor skills, etc. My daughter was tested around age 20 months and qualified for speech therapy through this program. It was the best decision we could have made. I think I would at least look into a free evaluation if you have something like that available on your state.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for posting this! At the risk of overtaking this thread, I'm going nuts with this issue! My son is 17 months old. My ped said he should be saying 15 words by 15 month. He only says "mamamamama" when he wants food. Nothing else. He (I) has lots of friends, he gestures, and he definitely understands what I'm saying. He just won't talk.

Every single mom I talked to say he's fine. Every single doc/state worker are freaking out about his development, which is freaking me out in turn.

So is speech therapy at this age really helpful? I think it's an absolute waste of money and time, and the fact that I'm going nuts over this is going to stress out my son. I want him to be a happy child, not necessarily book smart. He's surrounded by three languages, and the state worker actually suggested that I switch to English exclusively because he's going to be raised here anyway (NO. Period.). He is recommended 2 therapy sessions a week, and with a $35 copay, this is not something I want to pay. I would rather pay for annual passes to regional parks for him.

On the flip side, if I ignore this suggestion will this make me a bad mom? Am I not making his well-being a priority? I feel like he'll be better off if I let him develop at his own pace, but the ped acts like I should give him up for adoption if I don't do this. My friends' ped have no issues with their babies not talking, and I didn't talk until I was 3 either. Or am I just making excuses? GAH.

Sorry for the threadjack.

PetitiePoire

Shiny_Rock
I just scanned, so I couldn't tell if it's been asked or not, but do you only speak one language at home? Our daughter is 16 months and doesn't say a lot. She's only just started to speak in baby talk and she thinks she's saying something, but they aren't actual words. If I say "say xyz" she will repeat or try to repeat anything, but she doesn't say it on her own. We speak 2 languages in our home and with her, so she is constantly hearing everything twice. She understands everything in both languages though. Most of our friends are in a similar situation, except they speak one language at home and another in every day life. Our daughter seems to have the same language development/timing as their kids, so we aren't concerned just yet.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
choro72|1384503289|3556913 said:
Thank you for posting this! At the risk of overtaking this thread, I'm going nuts with this issue! My son is 17 months old. My ped said he should be saying 15 words by 15 month. He only says "mamamamama" when he wants food. Nothing else. He (I) has lots of friends, he gestures, and he definitely understands what I'm saying. He just won't talk.

Every single mom I talked to say he's fine. Every single doc/state worker are freaking out about his development, which is freaking me out in turn.

So is speech therapy at this age really helpful? I think it's an absolute waste of money and time, and the fact that I'm going nuts over this is going to stress out my son. I want him to be a happy child, not necessarily book smart. He's surrounded by three languages, and the state worker actually suggested that I switch to English exclusively because he's going to be raised here anyway (NO. Period.). He is recommended 2 therapy sessions a week, and with a $35 copay, this is not something I want to pay. I would rather pay for annual passes to regional parks for him.

On the flip side, if I ignore this suggestion will this make me a bad mom? Am I not making his well-being a priority? I feel like he'll be better off if I let him develop at his own pace, but the ped acts like I should give him up for adoption if I don't do this. My friends' ped have no issues with their babies not talking, and I didn't talk until I was 3 either. Or am I just making excuses? GAH.

Yes, speech therapy was extremely helpful for our daughter. She was in therapy from about 22 months until she turned 3 and no longer qualified for services based on her age. Now she is in a special speech class at a local public school... 2 hours every day. I think it is important to invest in speech therapy of some sort... even if it is just once a week or a couple times a month. The therapist worked with my daughter while I was present so she also gave me lots of strategies to work on with her when the therapist isn't there. That made the biggest difference... being able to gain knowledge from the therapist and put it into use at home. That's why I Recommend doing it at least occasionally. Like you, I'm not obsessed with my daughter being super smart, top of her class, etc. BUT, a delay in speech is very much linked to difficulty reading and that is not something I want my daughter to struggle with any more than necessary.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oobiecoo|1384542559|3557142 said:

Yes, speech therapy was extremely helpful for our daughter. She was in therapy from about 22 months until she turned 3 and no longer qualified for services based on her age. Now she is in a special speech class at a local public school... 2 hours every day. I think it is important to invest in speech therapy of some sort... even if it is just once a week or a couple times a month. The therapist worked with my daughter while I was present so she also gave me lots of strategies to work on with her when the therapist isn't there. That made the biggest difference... being able to gain knowledge from the therapist and put it into use at home. That's why I Recommend doing it at least occasionally. Like you, I'm not obsessed with my daughter being super smart, top of her class, etc. BUT, a delay in speech is very much linked to difficulty reading and that is not something I want my daughter to struggle with any more than necessary.

That's interesting. My daughter was delayed. Wasn't even calling us Mom and Dad by age 2. She started to take off around 2 1/2 and by the end of kindergarden, she was reading on a 4th grade level. Her brother starting yapping when he came out of the womb and hasn't shut up since. He left kindergarden reading at a 2nd or 3rd grade level.

I think if the services are there, and you want to use them, more power to you. But I also think if you have the feeling to just ride it out (like I did) it will be ok too. If a child is gesturing, communicating and playing, those are signs that they are developmentally on track.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
soxfan said:
oobiecoo|1384542559|3557142 said:

That's interesting. My daughter was delayed. Wasn't even calling us Mom and Dad by age 2. She started to take off around 2 1/2 and by the end of kindergarden, she was reading on a 4th grade level. Her brother starting yapping when he came out of the womb and hasn't shut up since. He left kindergarden reading at a 2nd or 3rd grade level.

I think if the services are there, and you want to use them, more power to you. But I also think if you have the feeling to just ride it out (like I did) it will be ok too. If a child is gesturing, communicating and playing, those are signs that they are developmentally on track.

I didn't speak until I was at least 2 years old. When I was in first grade I was reading at the 6th grade level. So I wouldn't say that my late speech development caused any reading issues. I was just quiet and didn't need to speak to get my needs met. According to my mother I went straight from a two weeks vocab to full sentences.

I know I may be the outlier here but I just wanted to add this anecdote to show that speech delay doesnt always lead to learning and reading difficulties.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that if services are available to you, utilizing them might be helpful but IMHO spending money on speech development before 2 is a waste of money. Does your child understand when you speak to him? Does he follow directions? Does he do things that you ask him to do? He may understand a lot but just not have the need to speak yet. Multiple languages plays a part too.

Like you, I was completely obsessed with my son's speech. The book said 18mos was this huge watershed moment in speech development but it came and went for him. I spoke to my pedi around 22 mos when DS only said about 20 random words, mostly verbs. Pedi basically told me to relax. All other moms told me to relax. I was about to set up the evaluation for early intervention but couldn't find a day to take off work. At 25 mos he started speaking in proper sentences. Something just clicked.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My background is special ed with a lot of language development due to working with hearing impaired kids before I switched to dyslexia. As long as your child's hearing is normal (this is for Choro), I would wait until 3 years for assessment by a speech-language pathologist UNLESS you see other developmental delays. I will say that 3 languages might be overwhelming to some children, but there's really no way to know if that is a factor. You may want to ask a speech-language pathologist about that, but I think the therapy is simply not necessary. I was very concerned about my niece who did not talk before age 3 and she was also began talking in sentences and was very advanced in school. Our youngest had speech-language issues and I waited until close to 4 to have her evaluated and we started the therapy then. She did have dyslexia as well (they are associated sometimes) which is also tied into auditory processing disorder. Kids with auditory processing issues may have difficulty with multiple languages considering they can have problems with one. But as has been said many times, most kids do start talking and you have time to wait and see, in my opinion.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone. I'm going to relax and do the therapy only if they give me a more reasonable option, such as 2/month rather than 2/week. It will be nice to get ideas on playtime.

Niel, are you going to do any therapy?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes my daughter is getting evaluated for having auditory processing disorder, and also recommended for speech therapy. Some complicating factors is that she had multiple ear infections when she was young (pretty much entire age of 1-2 1/2) so that may have contributed. She is finally getting reading a little more, but I'd rather be proactive, than just worry and not do anything.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results