Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 17 47.2%

• Total voters

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1457621910|4002693 said:
Bill Clinton was impeached. Try to remember that!

Bill Clinton was not found guilty of "Treason, Bribery, or other High Crimes or Misdemeanors" sufficient to warrant his removal from office. An impeachment is merely a trial - try to remember that!

Unless there is abuse involved, I'm not going to assume to know or tell someone how to negotiate their marriage. And while Bill Clinton's adultery was particularly unsavory, I'm not going to judge his wife for choosing to stay in the marriage. They do seem to have worked it out and they look to me like a loving, mutually supportive couple.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There were many days when Hillary was NOT "the first lady"... :naughty:

The Dems. is way ahead of the GOP involving sex scandals... :bigsmile:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Her staying with him is really between them. Don't care what they have between them because there marriage don't reflect all marriages. I'm pissed he lied to the American people about it. If he lied about that, what else did he lie about?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the Clintons as political leaders and am truly excited by the prospect of having them both back in the White House. Because of course it would be a joint presidency, as Annette says.

Bill was a great president in my opinion. He left America in a wonderful financial position - the books were balanced in the black - and he never would have dragged America through all those Bush wars. The subsequent president ruined that financial high point with those wars, and if Bill had been President in those years it's likely we would not have ISIS today.

I absolutely do not care who Bill slept with. He was a very charming man still young in his forties working next to young women who were intoxicated by him and the fact that he was the most powerful man in the world. I am not saying for one second that it's OK or right, morally. I'm saying that the fact Nature took its course does not surprise me. She was attracted to an older man's power and sophistication, and he was attracted to her youth. It's a story as old as the hills. What they did is wrong, but they're not people in my personal life so I don't care. The only person who should be bothered is his wife. As someone else said upthread, history has proved again and again that who a man sleeps with has no effect on his leadership abilities. I think that Bill would have been a safe pair of hands through the nightmare of extremism. Of course, Bill wasn't president then so we don't know what would have happened, but I think that his calmer, more collaborative approach - as compared to Dubya's red-faced war-mongering approach - would have served us well. The sheer gravity of the issues facing the world today puts the importance of things like flings with interns in the shade, in my opinion. Should all people in power be whiter-than-white otherwise why are they so fit to govern/reign? Well, of course. But that's a fairytale.

As for Hillary, I think she has a moderate, sensible plan for the country that includes protecting access to healthcare and the all-important pre-existing conditions clause. I've read the allegations of shadiness against her and nothing has ever been proved - I think they're just political mud-slinging with a fair dose of jealousy of their success. If the Clintons had indeed been guilty of wrongdoing they'd have been smoked out at once, the way he was over his affair with Lewinsky.

Should she have left him? I have no idea because no one knows what truly goes on in a marriage except the couple. However, I'm surprised at how many people think she stayed because of some cold political strategy. Why is it so hard to believe that an otherwise intelligent, successful woman could have a blind spot for an incredibly charismatic, foxy yet unfaithful man? Another story as old as the hills. Especially when the man in question is someone you've known since being very young, are married to, and have a child with. It makes perfect sense to me that he's her blind spot. I mean, I know he's older now, but speaking as a woman, he was gorgeous when younger - very sexy and powerful and exciting indeed. So personally, I wouldn't leap to the conclusion that her marriage is one of convenience. I'd like to think that I'd leave but it must be hard to do so if you love someone.

While I suspect the pair of them are as hard as nails - they are the most successful political couple in the world so that personality goes with the territory - I also think that they are politically moderate and that they espouse sensible middle-of-the-road policies. I think that they attract a lot of jealousy, but I like the fact that they have got to where they are in life by sheer brains and hard work. As leaders I like them a lot, and many people think Hillary will crush Trump (assuming he gets the nom). If she gets in, it'll be one of the best days of my life. She is the most experienced candidate by miles and I think it's a travesty that she didn't get in in 2008. Obama had nothing like the experience she has. It should all have been the other way round - Hillary should have been president for the last eight years with Obama in another role at the White House, and he should be running now.

All this is, of course, JMO.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The biggest financial and social gains I saw in my lifetime were during the Clinton administrations. Can't argue with results. Do I think he's a complete horn dog? Absolutely. No facts to back this up, but I think the Clintons had the same arrangement in their marriage that lots of high profile not-to-divorce couples do: Don't troll in our group of friends OR employees. Where Bill got in trouble was when he branched out to the employees. That's covered under law and Hills couldn't save him from that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results