shape
carat
color
clarity

Should bridesmaids wear hair accessories?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
hi ladies- thought i''d get brides'' perspective on this. should/can bridesmaids wear hair accessories? do brides mind if their bridesmaids do so? does it make them stand out too much/look fancier than the bride/MOH? i''ve seen a lot of wedding pictures and not that many bridesmaids wear hair accessories. i was wondering if that''s the norm and if it''s taboo to put anything in your hair. is there some standard or unspoken rule out there?

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I can''t speak from a bride''s perspective, but I''ve been a bridesmaid twice. Once, I wore a thin gold headband with navy satin ribbon because I had very short (nearly pixie-cut) hair and banding it like that was about the only way to add a little "oomph" to the style to make it dressy. The other time, I did my own hair and pinned it back from my face with jeweled bobby pins that matched the brooch on our dresses. Neither of the brides cared--they just didn''t want ridiculous adornments.

One of my friends got married last summer, and each of her BMs dressed in a little black dress and then had a flower pinned in her hair--each a different flower of their bouquets, while the bride wore a white one in her hair. I thought it was a lovely touch.

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
I would also say go for it! just don''t wear a veil.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
You know, when I had really long hair, I never put accessories in..my hair had enough volume. But now that it is shorter, and I was a bridesmaid, I put some clips in my hair- to give it something extra- and control my weird flyaways. Another bridesmaid, in a wedding I was just in - has reaaaally a short bob. and she had thing sin her hair too--- it seems to be something girls with shorter hair do... because there is not a lot to do w/ short hair.

It really depends on the bride... and how "uniform" she wants her girls... if the bride is crazy - you might want to check with her first.... as it is also really nice to check w/ the hairstyle and make sure it is "bride approved" before implementation... but most of the time, a tiny clip (the size of a dime or smaller) or little rhinestone studded bobby pins - aren''t really deal breakers... unless the bride is going sans veil - and doesn''t want her girls to have hair bling....

when in doubt - ASK - good luck! (As a bride, I did not care. The only thing I cared about was that my guests didn''t see me before the I DO''s.... I was too stressed out to even notice if my girls had stuff in their hair... and just wanted them there with me... having a nice time!)

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I bought hair flowers for all of my girls. I liked them and I think they did too.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I found a picture. I had all their pieces custom made and they were slightly different. If I had to do it again. I would have waited till the end of planning and probably would have picked different colors.

bmhairaccess.jpg

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
In my opinion, bridesmaids can accesorize in any way they choose. Honestly, the bride is wearing a big white dress and getting married - nothing the bridesmaids can do will ever upstage her. I think it''s quite silly when brides dictate every accessory the bridesmaids can wear, how they have to do their hair, etc.

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/4/2009 12:56:53 PM
Author: elrohwen
In my opinion, bridesmaids can accesorize in any way they choose. Honestly, the bride is wearing a big white dress and getting married - nothing the bridesmaids can do will ever upstage her. I think it''s quite silly when brides dictate every accessory the bridesmaids can wear, how they have to do their hair, etc.
^ This.

I think sometimes brides tend to overthink every little detail. Your girls aren''t going to do anything nutty, and on the miniscule chance that they do, you at least see them before everybody else does and can gently suggest an alteration.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
No rule, but I''d run it by the bride first, but in a casual "this is what I was planning on doing" type way. I agree with the PP''s that it would hardly detract from the attention on the bride on her wedding day, but she might be particular about a cohesive look.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
We are getting married in a chapel on the beach at a fancy resort in the tropics. Our BMs are wearing frangipanis in their hair which will match our flowers. I love frangis!! They are my favorite flower!!!!

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
thanks ladies.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think there's a rule against hair accessories, but I do think if you're going to have bridesmaids wear exactly the same dress, shoes and jewelry, they should probably wear similar hair accessories too.

My twin sister wore a sparkly bobby pin on one side of her hair to pull it back and make it look fancier. She had a shortish bob. My other sister didn't wear anything in her hair and neither did my friend.

My friend mentioned wearing her hair up and wearing one of those stretchy headbands that has two bands, which I honestly wasn't crazy about. I'm not a fan of those headbands in general and it didn't really go with the look/feel of the dresses. I certainly wouldn't have freaked out if she wore her hair like that, though. For me it was a personal taste issue, not an "I'M THE BRIDE" issue!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results