shape
carat
color
clarity

Shot down! Friend just slammed my new ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
At lunch just now, I proudly showed my friend my new Signed Pieces eternity ring. As my husband and I had discussed, I was wearing it with my engagement ring and my original wedding ring was on my right hand. She immediately told me she didn''t like it at all, that the stone got overwhelmed by the .05s in the eternity ring, that my wedding ring on my right hand was too thin to wear alone, and that it looked too obvious that the eternity ring and ering were bought separately, unlike my original wedding ring (which was indeed also purchased separately). She said my original combo was classy (implying the new one isn''t?). My feelings are hurt and now I''m plagued with a silly moment of doubt about wearing my eternity ring. I''m not sure if she was reacting to the sentimentality of switching up rings or what. She''s certainly not jealous of my ering, as she sports a rather nice 2+ct rock.
15.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no, I''m sorry to hear that!! I like your new combo, and don''t think anything is wrong with wearing the channel set band on your right hand. Maybe she was just used to your old set, but hoestly what nerve to say such things.

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
just because she''s not jealous (although she probably is) doesn''t mean she has good taste!!

my guess is that you will play around with the arrangement of your rings many times, switching rings from hand to hand, and will be pleased with almost every combination...

all I can say is "to hell with her!!!" and don''t let it spoil this fun time with your new ring!!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
F___ her. She''s probably jealous because she can''t afford one after that 2+ carat rock she''s wearing and she wants one desperately. Watch her and see if she shows up wearing one in the not too distant future.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
How dare she! You know I LOVE your new ring and it looks great with your ering. What REALLY matters is if YOU like it. Not her. Keep in mind people do have different tastes. IMO, maybe she''s just saying she thinks your diamond looks smaller with the new band (compared to your old band) but that''s understandable since she has a 2+ct!! Too thin a band to wear on your right hand? Blah! You can wear whatever ring you choose on your right hand if you like how it looks. Don''t worry what others think. =) Don''t let people make you doubt your rings. Wear them and be proud!

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
That''s really harsh. She should have said, "that''s nice" and changed the subject. That would not have been so rude. It is very hurtful when someone slams something you are excited about and proud of. Just becuase she has a 2ct rock, doesn''t mean she''s happy and she probably gets joy out of making other people feel inadequate. The proper response would have been, "I am very happy with my ring and I don''t think care whether people think my rings match or not" and changed the subject. Who cares what she thinks! Don''t let her suck the joy out of your new ring.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
She was too blunt...to the point of being rude. So what if that is what SHE thinks. What YOU think is what matters here.

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
Out of curiousity, I checked out pics of your rings. They are beautiful. If anything, they enhance your ering. My wedding set looks like that! I just bought an upgraded e ring though but your set looks like it belongs together! Tell her to mind her own business!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
they are. the set is stunning. i coulda pulled off 5s...

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
How rude!

I have seen the pictures of your new enternity ring and e-ring. They look great! I think you made a nice improvement!

You know, jewelry is such as personal choice - like music or art. Some people will just criticize what they don''t personally like.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Sometimes people aren''t as tactful as they might be, and they don''t realize they''re hurting their friends'' feelings when they give their opinions. It''s perfectly possible she was being sincere--that she really does like the look of your old set better. However, that''s just her opinion. Do YOU like the way the new arrangement of rings looks? That''s what''s important.

It might have been kinder of your friend to say something like, "Wow, look at your new ring! You must be so excited about it!" That way she could express her pleasure in seeing you happy with your new ring, even if it''s not quite her taste.

Still, it''s good to have some friends who value honesty. Sometimes it can be very helpful to hear honest opinions, even if they''re painful--not necessarily about things like rings, but about other difficult decisions you might have to make throughout life. Especially if you have confidence in your ability to make your own decisions once you get all the input you need.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
If I had bought the ring with the intention of wearing it with my ering, I may have gone smaller. And my stone isn't large- it's .78. But I actually thought it made it seem larger! Ha!

I'm totally fine if someone has a different opinion and tastes- but what hurt my feelings was that instead of saying something like she preferred the other look, she had to go into detail about what she didn't like. No need to elaborate!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry your friend was so rude.

Cleary she''s jealous about SOMETHING otherwise she''d compliment you because she''d want you to feel good. Even if she hauls around a huge 2-carat ring, doesn''t automatically imply she''s a happy person and I''d suspect based upon her attitude that she''s NOT.

Oh well. We all LOVE your rings and only our opinions count because we''ve seen A LOT of rings and can easily spot the beautiful ones. lol!

LuvthatSparkle

Shiny_Rock
I think your friend''s a bit Jealous. Her reaction to your new ring is kinda "funky"
38.gif
and uncalled for. Just because she has a 2ct. ring doesn''t mean she wants to see anyone else lookin snazzy!! Sounds like a miserable person. I saw your ring and I think it looks great!!

You might want to be careful with this friend going forward. I wouldn''t be suprised if you see more inappropriate behavior.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Mmeow......sounds to me like she''s just having an off day. OR maybe she expects that she''s close enough with you as a friend to be candid in her opinion.

I honestly don''t think you should be hurt by it. It''s a personal preference comment, and that''s all it is. If I said, "Oh, I don''t like chocolate ice cream at all, I find it too heavy and too sweet", that just means that *I* personally don''t like chocolate. It doesn''t mean there''s anything wrong with YOU liking chocolate.

That said, I realize one''s wedding set is a much more emotional issue than what flavor ice cream you like.
emotion-5.gif

I had a similar thing happen. My friend Nancy prefers the look of a solitaire, and she that I intended to choose a final setting with sidestones. (At the time, I was thinking aquamarine, but ended up deciding on diamonds.) When I got my diamond in a temp solitaire setting, a few of my friends said "Oh, it''s perfect the way it is....don''t change it." But, I wanted a more distinctive setting and had my 3-stone setting crafted about 5 months later.

When the custom 3-stone setting was done and I finally had the ring back proudly on my finger, her first comment at my bridal shower was "I liked it better before. It''s too much for me"....and then proceeded to tell my other friend she thinks it''s gaudy.
emsmileo.gif

I realize her taste is very different from mine, and I wasn''t offended by it. Yes, she could have chosen a softer word, but oh well....at the end of the day, *I''m* the one that has to wear it/like it. Incidentally, most of the women I know DROOL over my ring. It''s all just preference.

Don''t let HER preferences/taste dictate what YOU wear. You shouldn''t let her comments cause you to doubt your choices. If you like how it all looks (and it looks GORGEOUS, by the way), then you wear it the way YOU want to wear it.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Al- wow! Such comments! I'm glad you handled it well.

I think my friend didn't mean to be rude- she just doesn't get into jewelry the same way I do. I know she thinks eternity rings are a waste, and believe it or not, I'm not sure she's entirely happy with her 2ct ring. She really wanted an antique-y flat non-solitaire wedding ring look and her husband surprised her with the 2ct solitaire heirloom ring. Occasionally she makes a comment to that effect. It's beautiful though.

Thanks all! I feel better!

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
Whoa! She''s crazy!
20.gif
I think your e-ring and eternity band look beautiful together!

I work dangerously close to the Diamond District and I have been by the Facets booth a few times. (Jerry is VERY nice and helpful). Their eternity bands are just gorgeous and sparkle like mad.
30.gif

When/if my bf and I get engaged, and I get a solitaire, I will be getting an eternity band from Signed Pieces. Definitely.

Like I said, your friend''s crazy. Your set is fabulous.
36.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I''ve had my eyes on the facets rings by SP. Morticia, I WISH I lived in NY so I could actually try on these rings and see them in person! I''m a little scared to buy online and wait for it to come in the mail. But I''ve only heard positive things about SP so that helps a little.

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
No worries if you decide to order online snlee. I promise you, their stuff is gorgeous and wonderful quality. I LOVE their eternity bands.

I have no idea what the BF is getting me for an e-ring.
20.gif
He won''t let me pick it out myself. But he knows I want either a solitaire or a 3 stone. If I get a 3 stone, I''ll get a plain wedding band. If I get a solitaire, I am all about getting a SP eternity band.

They are fab! You won''t be disappointed.
35.gif

Layne

Shiny_Rock
wow. even if I thought someones jewelry was awful I would never say it!
if you like the way it looks then that is that! and your hubby agrees!

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Is this a friend? I think you should just tell her that her opinion was unsolicited and inappropriate. Does she always wear things you like?

Bethanying

Shiny_Rock
I LOVE your set.

It is gorgeous and it absolutely looks wonderful together. She may be jealous that you got a new sparkly and she didn''t, even if she is sporting some serious bling.

Wear it proudly. It''s gorgeous.

twinkletoes

Shiny_Rock
Your friend is crazy. Your new set w/the shared prong eternity ring is so gorgeous together! And how can she say it''s not classy? It''s the classic Tiffany''s look. Puh-lease. It''s classic, feminine, delicate, sparkly and beautiful! And I think your OG wband looks better alone on your right hand.

Just put this away in your head as a "my friend has no taste" file and let it go. Some people, even if they have more... can''t be happy for others.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Oh Meow, don''t worry, I LOVE your set and that''s all that matters
2.gif
Okay, well seriously, all that really matters is that YOU love it.

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Please don''t be sad! Try not to let your friend''s comment affect you. What your friend said was bitchy; your rings are so beautiful and you should wear them the way you want. Life is too short to worry about what petty people say about your diamonds.

Everyone has something to say about every subject under the sun: that doesn''t mean they''re right.

If you would like to hear an example from the opposite side of the spectrum, when I wear my diamond band and my engagement ring together, all people notice is my engagement ring. They say, "Oh, what a beautiful RING" (singular). I would actually love for my band to get noticed more! But bygones--who cares? I love my band, I love my engagement ring, and nothing else matters.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I totally agree...screw her, wear what you want, it's your ring!! She may not have realized she sounded so edgy.

I tell Aljdewey all the time that I think YELLOW GOLD IS TACKY. She happens to adore yellow gold. But she doesn't take it personally.
9.gif
Thank god! I'd be in trouble then.
2.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2005 6:41:28 PM
Author: Mara

I tell Aljdewey all the time that I think YELLOW GOLD IS TACKY. But she doesn''t take it personally.
Well, see, I don''t take it personally because I consider the source. I know Mara''s just a wanton trend-follower (which is why she likes platinum) and cannot appreciate the finer distinctions of my TACKY YELLOW GOLD! ROFTLMAO
11.gif
31.gif
23.gif

KIDDING!!!!!.......I adore Mara.....she''s one of my dearest friends here, and yes, sometimes our tastes differ and sometimes they run similar.

I appreciate her candor and that she tells me what she really thinks, but she''s never cruel in how she does it.....nor am I to her. She prefers platinum, I prefer YG. She prefers minimalist decor, I prefer a bit more embellished decor. Variety is what makes the world go around.

Differing tastes don''t stop us from celebrating each others'' choices together. When I was trying to decide on a 3-stone look, she spent *HOURS* trolling away looking for yellow 3-stone ring pictures to show me.

Hopefully, you and your friend will let it be only what it is....a small difference in preference.

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Logan,

I looked up your ring photos and I think they look great together and I don''t see how they could not match. I bet your friend is going thru something, because your rings do look perfect! Enjoy your new ring!

best,

lori

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
I suggest to find new friends :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results