shape
carat
color
clarity

Shooting at Orlando Nightclub

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This breaks my heart. I have a lot of friends in the LGBT community and to have this happen in a space they created to feel safe and accepted...just awful. I'm reading the death count has been increased to 50+. I can't believe the amount of loss.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:(sad

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An excerpt from a posting on facebook... The poster is a minister who was reviewing and putting the final edits on his day's sermon when he received a letter from a Muslim group condeming the shootings, which was the first he had heard of the shootings. Ignore for a minute the writer's confusing Orlando and Tampa...

I’m going to get on with the rest of the sermon, but before I do, let just mention this: the email I received from the Council on American Islamic Relations didn’t just condemn the attack on the night club—it called on Muslims in Tampa to donate blood. This may seem a strange thing, but you see, the Council on American Islamic Relations knows that gay men are not allowed to donate blood in the United states. So, knowing that members of Tampa’s gay community cannot donate blood, to help save the victims of the attack who may need a transfusion, Tampa’s Muslim community is stepping up to give blood.
Let’s keep this in mind anytime anyone tries to use the vile hatred of the terror in Tampa to divide and conquer us with fear.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just went onto Google to look for something and I saw the black ribbon on the homepage and thought, "Uh-oh, what's happened?" so I looked at the news, and saw this horrific shooting. There just aren't words to describe this. All those poor people dead, and all their grieving families. How very terrible, how senseless, and how impossible to understand. And the "reasoning" behind it makes it even worse. Killed for being gay. It makes my stomach turn.

Why oh why do some people go so very, very wrong? I mean, the vast majority of people grow up to be productive members of society even if they had challenging home lives as children or other bad events in their young lives. Even if early experiences affect them and they are not so productive, they still don't do this kind of thing - mostly. This is the act of a real monster. It is not possible to understand an act like this.

It's kind of a pity that the police killed him because he should have been tried and then made to live in solitary confinement for the rest of his miserable life (I reckon decades of this is worse than the dealth penalty) but I guess the police just needed to stop him.

My thoughts are with the families, and with the poor souls who lost their lives. :((

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
50 dead. :knockout:

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
This really really upset me. I have a lot of family and friends that live in Orlando, and I know a bunch of them frequent that club. Lets just say this morning a lot of calls and texts were sent. Thankfully everyone I know is ok, but my heart goes out to everyone else.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I read somewhere they are allowing gay men to donate blood in this instance despite federal regs. My thoughts are with all the victims and their families. ;(

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now we'll see same old political football game, gun control, religion, LGBT civil rights, terrorism, hate-fanning, ... and all during an election year that's already a bizarre and embarassing circus! :black eye:

When will this end?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhh this hits close to home. Our wonderful next door neighbors moved to the Orlando area last summer. We've visited them and kept in touch, they have come back and visited us; we're very close still and I think of them as family. They are almost 30, a bit older than the average nightclub goer in that scene. My husband and I had come home from a wedding last night and I was a bit tipsy and feeling chatty, so after he and my daughter were asleep I texted one of my "boys" and we talked on the phone for over an hour while apparently this atrocious, tragic, insane massacre was happening. I am stunned and heartbroken for all these people and their families.

And I'm angry. :angryfire: I have been an ally since kindergarten when I met my best friend. I will never understand the hatred within some people who carry out these terrible crimes. Why does anyone in this world think they are superior to another based on sex, orientation, intelligence, color, race, creed, religion, ect., etc.??? We are all made of the same stuff, and we're all going to be returned to the same planet some day. If there is any afterlife, I sure as HELL don't want to share it with the likes of some righteous, ******* murderers who commit crimes against others in the name of what is "right." :sick:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1465755076|4043255 said:

Thank you, Matata. I came to Hangout from, "The New York Times" website to post this. As you can see, it, also points out that someone with an allegiance to ISIS is to blame. And it highlights that this is the worst mass shooting is US history, although September 11, 2001 was a larger terrorist attack, of course.

"ORLANDO, Fla. — After calling 911 to declare his allegiance to the Islamic State terrorist group, a gunman here killed 50 people and wounded 53 in a crowded gay nightclub early Sunday, the worst mass shooting slaughter in American history, law enforcement officials said."

AGBF

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL ISIS. Whatever. This was a hate crime, plain and simple.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
What I find bizarre is he lived in Port St Lucie and drove all the way to Orlando, thats like at least 2 hours, more if you consider the Horrible traffic Orlando is known for.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh great!
This just in.
On the opposite side of America ... today is the day for Los Angeles Gay Pride parade and festival.

http://www.latimes.com/local/l...0612-snap-story.html
Partial snip:

Man with weapons and explosives arrested, was going to L.A. gay pride parade, police say

Authorities in Santa Monica found possible explosives as well as a cache of weapons and ammunition Sunday in the car of a man who told them he planned to look for a friend at the L.A. Pride festival in West Hollywood, a law enforcement source said.

Federal and local law enforcement decided against canceling the annual parade, which went forward Sunday morning under tightened security. Investigators are now trying to piece together what happened but said they don’t believe there is any connection between the incident and the massacre at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Fla., that killed at least 50 people overnight.

Early Sunday, Santa Monica police received a call about a suspected prowler near Olympic Boulevard and 11th Street. Patrol officers responded and encountered an individual who told officers he was waiting for a friend, according to a law enforcement source familiar with details of the arrest. That led officers to inspect the car and find several weapons – including three rifles, one of them an “assault rifle” -- and a lot of ammunition as well as tannerite, an ingredient that could be used to create a pipe bomb, said the source. The car had Indiana plates.

Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials said the suspect told police he was going to the pride parade to look for a friend. Authorities are now looking for that individual.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

hatecrimestweet.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My friend just posted this on fB:

"Absolutely sobbing right now, listening to the radio and they had mentioned that as FBI and other agencies are investigating Pulse, with many of the 50 bodies still laying in there that there is a constant sound of phone calls and text message tones ringing as loved ones tried to reach their loved ones inside."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deebKNI-dTE

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a lot of visitors here at our house today. Everyone talking about Orlando. The consensus here, with the information known so far, is that the gunman is a lone crazy hanging his hat on radical Islam as an excuse. And that this scale of massacre is only made possible because efficient assault weapons are available to every Tom, Dick, and Harry in the United States.

Tragic beyond words.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I don't believe one could use radical Islam as an excuse. ISIS seeks to inspire sympathizers to carry out attacks — with or without actual support from the group. Even if the connection exists only in the attackers mind, it's still a connection (and therefore, not an excuse). The shooter pledged his allegiance to an ISIS leader in 911 phone calls.

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes, of course. We need to bring back the internment camps like we did to the Japanese, Italian, and German Americans. I mean, they all must be in on it, right? How can you tell a good Muslim from a bad one? We just have to round them all up. Right? And why stop with people of middle eastern descent or Muslims? Honestly, the only safe Americans are the white ones. We just need to get tough!

(obviously, sarcasm)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1465766834|4043329 said:
**edited by moderator due to inappropriate content**.

DF, I cant believe you just said that. As a man of Chinese descent, haven't the Chinese suffered horribly in this country because of ethnic profiling? The Chinese Exclusion Act? Detained at Angel Island? The Confession Program?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO, we need more profiling on certain ethnic groups. Unlike the left who will always blame guns for these horrible killings.

If what the gunman did was set off by seeing two men kiss, then besides whatever kind of sociopath he was, he was also a latent homosexual. Seeing two men kiss was disturbing to him because it aroused him. The worst homophobes are men who fear their own homosexual tendencies. And, according to Freud, all humans have homosexual tendencies. That does not make all humans homosexuals in our actions.

If one is going to do profiling in an attempt to avert violence against homosexuals, he had better learn to watch out for homophobes.

Got a test that points out the homophobes, Dancing Fire? The FBI appears to need it.

AGBF

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO, we need more profiling on certain ethnic groups. Unlike the left who will always blame guns for these horrible killings.

Who? Angry young men? Maybe what we need to do is put males on testosterone blockers until they can prove themselves non-violent, non-rapist, and able to function in society without harming others. Problem solved.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Although I understand that racial profiling to can lead us into dangerous territory, I also understand that there exists certain groups of people who's sole purpose is to inflict harm/death on others. Tip-toeing around the labels (like "radical Islamic terrorist") isn't doing anyone any favors and just like there could be ways to improve gun control, there could be ways to improve how we go about finding malicious groups of people (tighter border control, etc.). I don't have an issue saying that even though I support gun ownership, I was sickened to learn that the Orlando shooter legally purchased his guns a few days ago despite the fact that he's been interviewed/questioned by the FBI on more than one occasion of the past few years :confused: I also don't have an issue saying that this shooting appears to be yet another incident motivated by radical islam and we need to have the ability to identify these groups and/or individuals.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thanks for finally pushing me over the edge to hide all of your vile, ignorant, and utterly repulsive comments on this forum. My time on this website will be far more pleasant and positive without the trash you contribute.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just don't believe any gun will fire itself.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1465769041|4043351 said:
Although I understand that racial profiling to can lead us into dangerous territory, I also understand that there exists certain groups of people who's sole purpose is to inflict harm/death on others. Tip-toeing around the labels (like "radical Islamic terrorist") isn't doing anyone any favors and just like there could be ways to improve gun control, there could be ways to improve how we go about finding malicious groups of people (tighter border control, etc.). I don't have an issue saying that even though I support gun ownership, I was sickened to learn that the Orlando shooter legally purchased his guns a few days ago despite the fact that he's been interviewed/questioned by the FBI on more than one occasion of the past few years :confused: I also don't have an issue saying that this shooting appears to be yet another incident motivated by radical islam and we need to have the ability to identify these groups and/or individuals.
:shhh:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results