shape
carat
color
clarity

Shoot or don't shoot scenarios. WWYD?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Shoot or don't shoot scenarios. WWYD?

Thank you so much for posting that! Eye opening I hope. Use of force is hugely important to all departments and if someone is curious as to what the use of force policy is for their local police, sheriff, highway patrol then just call them to ask. This is not spoken about enough in the media.

ETA I applaud the guy for doing it.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I saw the video the other day and thought it was enlightening.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great video -- thanks for posting. :wavey:

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock

Respect to police officers, and respect to the activist who accepted this challenge! :clap
All citizens and public servants deserve to feel respected and safe. Everyone agrees, but how does that happen?
Maybe we should look to people such as Dallas Chief Brown for guidance. The Chief grew up a black kid in inner city Dallas who became a police officer. He gave up a full ride to college in order to serve his community. He lost a brother, a partner, and a son to violence. His son was killed in a shootout with police. Brown survived tragedy and became a strong leader. No doubt you've heard all this.
Too many, particularly in leadership, have political agendas when addressing these issues. I'd rather see someone like Chief Brown frequent the Whitehouse rather than Al Sharpton.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AnnaH|1468347348|4054799 said:
Respect to police officers, and respect to the activist who accepted this challenge! :clap
All citizens and public servants deserve to feel respected and safe. Everyone agrees, but how does that happen?
Maybe we should look to people such as Dallas Chief Brown for guidance. The Chief grew up a black kid in inner city Dallas who became a police officer. He gave up a full ride to college in order to serve his community. He lost a brother, a partner, and a son to violence. His son was killed in a shootout with police. Brown survived tragedy and became a strong leader. No doubt you've heard all this.
Too many, particularly in leadership, have political agendas when addressing these issues. I'd rather see someone like Chief Brown frequent the Whitehouse rather than Al Sharpton.
:appl: :appl:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AnnaH|1468347348|4054799 said:

Excellent! +1

Here is a great article on the man.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/dallas-police-ambush/dallas-police-chief-david-brown-faces-toughest-challenge-difficult-career-n607266

amc80

Ideal_Rock

This is great. Big kudos to him for having an open enough mind to agree to this experiment. DH (Former LEO) has told me many times that when you are in the moment, everything is sort of on hyperspeed and you have to make very quick decisions. He's also said that in that split second, he's always going to error on the side of living to go home to his family.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is interesting. I would point out that the latest incidents have had more than one policeman there. If a guy had a mask on like the perpetrator did I would be scared. What about letting the perpetrator go? I'm not sure what the solution is, but it doesn't help the guy sitting in his car who is reaching for his license and is shot in the chest and dies, in front of a child, with another policeman on the other side of the guy.. so it seems to me that these types of deaths happen more to black guys, maybe not, but seems so. My beloved adopted 3rd son :) is a brand new police officer, and I asked him to please deescalate not to escalate, he has just finished months of training and he said that is what they taught his class at training. I read where a police chief (not sure where) said that our cops are asked to be social workers, teachers, listeners etc besides protecting the law and us, to me this is unfair.. there are deep deep rooted problems in our inner cities, rural areas and suburbia, where people are alienated and lost, and mad, and some are crazy. I think cops get burned out, but are all cops every day under that kind of pressure that we saw in this video? I dunno. But my husband and I worked in the computer business and every 7 years we got a 7 week sabbatical for stress (and that was from coding!).. that would be nice in addition to the usual vacation schedule, (oh we got paid as the cops should). Rather adoration of cops, I prefer equality and respect. I heard a saying when I was a kid in the Bronx and it stuck with me; 'our cops and criminals come from the same side of the railroad tracks'.. we should require all cops to have 4 year degrees with minors in psy/sociology, we should ensure the bad eggs are weeded out and not protected. Being a police officer is a career, not a job, like being a programmer, doc. or nurse etc. it should get the same respect as those careers. Let's have respect for cops and our people.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results