shape
carat
color
clarity

Shipping internationally?

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wasn't sure where to post this but figured I could try here. I was wondering if any of you have sent high dollar items to Aus? If so, how did you insure them? I have a potential buyer and reached out to a vendor but due to paperwork/etc said they were unable to help me with shipping my loose stone to them. I have reached out to one other vendor, hoping that for a small fee they'll work with us if the sale goes though. Considering it's an 8k item retail, I have never ever shipped anything that high dollar in my life. I have mailed a few high dollar items from Canada to the States (and would consider crossing the boarder if its easier to mail from the USA to Aus) and I know a few of you have done a few high ticket items but mostly I think the ones I am recalling were on consignment. Any advice/feedback?
Want to make sure we are both protected and that this goes as smoothly as possible. Impossible? Only option to have a vendor help out if I can find one willing/able?
Thanks!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot you were in Canada, yes if the goods originated in the US and you can prove that, it would in theory be easier shipping them fully insured via FedEx from the US to Australia. (And possibly cheaper too).

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How did it go, OP? I live in Canada and am often shipping to the US and it's stressful. Hope your shipping to AUS went ok!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Im an Aussie.
I’m terrible. I buy expensive things from the US, UK and Canada often and never have them insured. Heavens, even Truth was sent Sydney to US without insurance.
I have a theory, don’t advertise it’s worth a lot and no one will be tempted to steal it. That said, everything goes tracked, signed for mail or Fed ex.
Nothing has been lost or stolen, sure, it’s possible but I figure it’s a rare occurance and using a premium delivery service is the safest.
And I have a rule anyway, if something were to get lost in transit, as the buyer it’s my responsibility not the sellers. So if I bought something from a US seller, told them just to ship it tracked mail, and it then went missing, my problem not the sellers.
If you send things to Australia now, even if under $1,000 and from say eBay or Etsy, the buyer (and the seller too if sold through Etsy) will be hit with 10% GST.
Items over $1,000 have always been subject to customs (10% or 15%) which is the buyers responsibility. So your buyer needs to know Customs will have to be paid.
Seriously, over 12 years I’ve probably spent in excess of $200,000 on jewellery and even expensive porcelain and glass pieces (and that’s a huge risk for breakage, forget theft!) virtually trouble free. Two problems, both porcelain breakages because Customs inspected the parcel and didn’t repack properly. Shipping from Canada to Aust however is very slow I’ve found and more expensive than either US (cheapest rates) or the UK.
As a postal system here in Australia, It’s regulated, safe and reliable unlike perhaps some other countries.

Reactions: AV_

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was wondering how the recent extention of GST to all imports was effecting shipping into Aussie. Anyone dealt with this since the policy changed?

Edit -- by the way I dont agree that lost in transit should always exclusively be the buyers problem. Ofcourse I feel the seller should be able to say what they are comfortable with, and the buyer should decide whether that suits them or not.

I am actually interested in asking everyone's thoughts: if I was to say 'if it gets lost and never reaches you then stiff bikkies, that is solely your problem.' how would you feel about the transaction? I am genuinely curious, as people say this to me from time to time. And some vendors even have it as a policy on international shipping. And while I totally understand where they are coming from. It makes me wonder if everyone else is notchalant about having stuff shipped internationally to them uninsured, and assuming 100% of the risk. Or if most people feel uncomfortable, and I am not alone?

Last edited:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a tricky thing - as a U.S. private seller with listings on DB and LT for some years, I've encountered more than a few international potential buyers who would like to purchase one of my items yet I cannot ship the item to them at all or cannot ship it adequately insured due to my own country's postal rules.

Anything over $250 I wouldn't want to ship at all under these circumstances because I feel as seller a shipping loss falls on me, regardless of a risk-shifting agreement between buyer and seller. And I think PayPal would take the same view, regardless of a risk-shifting agreement between the parties.

Items under $250 I am more amenable to a risk-shifting agreement because, statistics wise, my personal experience in my entire life of shipping is two items lost (one was domestic, the other sent to Germany). And, even if a buyer were renege on the risk-shifting agreement and file a PayPal dispute for item not delivered, my loss is bearable.

The items I list and sell are all from my private collection, most of which are unique and irreplaceable. Sometimes an international buyer really gets hooked on wanting a particular item and offers to take on the shipping risk after I explain the reality of international shipping regulations and insurance limits.

The few times I've done a risk-sharing agreement, there have been zero problems.

As a buyer, I would approach it the same way: something $250 or less I'd be willing to take the shipping risk, but over that amount I can't afford to pay the money and not receive the item. And I understand why a seller is not willing to ship to me if they cannot ship the item insured from their country.

Last edited:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was wondering how the recent extention of GST to all imports was effecting shipping into Aussie. Anyone dealt with this since the policy changed?

Edit -- by the way I dont agree that lost in transit should always exclusively be the buyers problem. Ofcourse I feel the seller should be able to say what they are comfortable with, and the buyer should decide whether that suits them or not.

I am actually interested in asking everyone's thoughts: if I was to say 'if it gets lost and never reaches you then stiff bikkies, that is solely your problem.' how would you feel about the transaction? I am genuinely curious, as people say this to me from time to time. And some vendors even have it as a policy on international shipping. And while I totally understand where they are coming from. It makes me wonder if everyone else is notchalant about having stuff shipped internationally to them uninsured, and assuming 100% of the risk. Or if most people feel uncomfortable, and I am not alone?

To answer your question, no, I wouldn’t buy anything expensive without it being adequately insured during transit. If a seller said it’s your problem if it gets lost, I’d walk away.

Reactions: AV_

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m a bit unusual I guess.
If I want something a lot and the overseas seller doesn’t want to ship to me because they can’t get insurance I will tell me that I still want it and I will take on the risk. And that’s what I do. Some say ok then, some will still say no way!
Am I foolish or reckless?
No,
It’s a calculated risk. Tracked, signed for delivery mail is safe and reliable in my 12 plus years of international shipping experience from most Countries (and we are talking thousands - eek- of parcels).That said, I don’t “buy” from just anyone (who wants to receive an “empty” parcel) but my approach works very well for me.
“Never say never” is my motto!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you were selling something to me and was reluctant to ship because I live in Australia I’d politely ask you if you would consider me, on the basis you send it tracked signed for delivery, which I’ll pay for and at my risk. I will then point out my 15 year plus eBay History (including feedback and types of previous purchases) my email address being a “real person” type email and not a “hot mail” or gmail” one. Then you might like to check me out on Facebook (yes, I’m a real person there) or even on Pricescope too. Been here a few years and a few posts!
Yes, there are bad people out there, there are scammers but I think I can allay your fears and convince you I’m an ok type person.
You might say to me ‘I’m still not comfortable, will you send me the money family and friends?” and I’d a likewise appraisal of your apparent “nice person ness” and say sure, I really want that item so I’m happy to oblige.
And I have actually had this exact conversation. The seller then felt bad about me being so trusting!! And we settled on a half friends and family and a half ordinary payment.
And yes, the watch is very very nice, totally unobtainable here so I was very happy I was able to work it out with the seller.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you were selling something to me and was reluctant to ship because I live in Australia I’d politely ask you if you would consider me, on the basis you send it tracked signed for delivery, which I’ll pay for and at my risk. I will then point out my 15 year plus eBay History (including feedback and types of previous purchases) my email address being a “real person” type email and not a “hot mail” or gmail” one. Then you might like to check me out on Facebook (yes, I’m a real person there) or even on Pricescope too. Been here a few years and a few posts!
Yes, there are bad people out there, there are scammers but I think I can allay your fears and convince you I’m an ok type person.
You might say to me ‘I’m still not comfortable, will you send me the money family and friends?” and I’d a likewise appraisal of your apparent “nice person ness” and say sure, I really want that item so I’m happy to oblige.
And I have actually had this exact conversation. The seller then felt bad about me being so trusting!! And we settled on a half friends and family and a half ordinary payment.
And yes, the watch is very very nice, totally unobtainable here so I was very happy I was able to work it out with the seller.

Sorry I feel like I have derailed the thread. I can see there are split opinions on this topic, which I guess is what I was curious about poling -- just to better understand the responses of the vendors who seemed disapointed when I did not go through with the purchase (because assuming complete responsibility for a parcel that was worth a few k was intimidating as a buyer.). I thought maybe it was just me.

But I also see that it appears a bit controversial, and to be dragging the thread off topic -- sorry I didnt intend to hijack the thread :wall:. I am hoping someone will come along and suggest a go between. Maybe someone like jewels by grace can ship to Aussie?

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For an 5k+ item I would definitely think an independent appraiser would be willing to help, for a fee of course.

Interesting to see that I’m not the only one who’s had bad experiences with shipping to
Germany - I’ll never do that again! I agree with @Bron357 that probably the worst thing you can do is declare full value with your courier - I simply do not understand why shipping charges are ever printed on the package!!

Also worth checking with your jewellery insurance provider - some have allowances for shipping (domestic and international) even after ownership has been transferred.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results