shape
carat
color
clarity

Share your favorite chicken recipies, please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
I''m always looking for new ways to cook chicken, so please share your favorite chicken recipe. Thanks.

April20

Ideal_Rock
This is seriously one of my favorite recipes. Instead of bread crumbs, I use panko. I think it''s crispier. I use either Aloette or Rondele for the cheese spread. Or the Publix brand if I''m shopping there- their''s is pretty darn good.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Garlic-Cheese-Chicken-Rollups/Detail.aspx

Make sure you don''t over cook it- it''s not so great when it dries out. Some of the filling will ooze out, so make sure to try and keep it away from the edges.

Camille

Shiny_Rock
This one has great visuals, I bake two at a time for company [double the spices] it melts in your mouth. Placing the bird chest side down keeps it moist. Original recipe from Nancy:

Sticky Chicken

1 whole chicken up to 3.5 lbs
1 C chopped onion

In a small bowl combine:
1 ts salt
1 ts paprika
1/2 ts cayenne pepper
1/2 ts onion powder
1/2 ts thyme
1/2 ts white pepper [optional]
1/4 ts garlic powder
1/4 ts black pepper

Rinse chicken inside and out, drain well. Rub the spice mixture inside and out. Place the chicken in a roasting pan wrap in plastic to seal and refrigerate overnight. When ready to roast, stuff the cavity with the chopped onion. Place the chicken breast side down in the roasting pan, roast uncovered in a preheated 250 F for about 5 hours. Baste occasionally with the pan juices wich will start to run in the 3rd hour. The chicken is done when juices caramelize on the bottom of the pan and the chicken is DEEP golden brown.
**On my working day I bake mine in the crock pot once a week:
The night before, rub the mixture inside and out, place the bird in the crock pot insert, wrap in plastic and refrigerate until the morning. Right before leaving to work, I Place the insert in the crock pot, unrap the plastic, cover with the lid and cook on low for 5-6 hours. NOT as golden as the baking method, but sure taste good!!!!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Camille, what makes it "sticky" chicken?

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/2/2009 7:00:03 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Camille, what makes it ''sticky'' chicken?
I want to know too! The recipe sounds good... the five hours part scares me some though. You mentioned you do it in a slow cooker sometimes- how does that work in comparison? Does it eliminate the need to baste?

princessplease

Ideal_Rock

I''m curious, too. Thanks for sharing. It sounds delicious. I will definitely have to try it.
And thanks too, April. When I''m pressed for time, I will definitely that recipe out.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Me, too. I don''t see any sugar or balsamic or anything that would caramelize with heat, so I''m curious as to what makes it "Sticky". Sounds yummy, and EASY!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just found made this one a couple of weeks ago when I was going through my "mustard as a sauce" phase.

Chicken Roulades with Basil and Banana Peppers

Ingredients:
1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
2 tsp chopped fresh chives
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
2 fresh banana peppers, seeded and chopped finely
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, about 6 oz. each, pounded to 3/4 of an inch
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup fine fresh bread crumbs of panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated parmaggiano or pecorino romano cheese

Directions:

To make the sauce, stir together 1/2 cup yogurt, the 1 Tbsp mustard, and the chives in a small bowl. Let the sauce stand at room temperature to lose it’s chill while the chicken bakes
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly brush a non stick baking sheet with some of the melted butter.

Sprinkle 1 1/2 tsp of the basil and peppers and a pinch of the cheese in the center of 1 chicken breast and season with salt and pepper. Fold in the short ends of the breast about 1/2 inch. Starting at the long side, roll up the breast, enclosing the basil, peppers, and cheese. Repeat with remaining breasts.

In a shallow bowl, stir together the 1/3 cup yogurt and the remaining 1 tsp mustard. In a shallow dish, stir together the bread crumbs and cheese. Roll each chicken breast in the yogurt mixture, and then coat with the crumb mixture. Place on the prepared baking sheet, and drizzle with the remainging melted butter. Bake until the coating is golden brown and the chicken shows no sign of pink when cut into the center, about 30 minutes. Serve hot, with a dollop of sauce on the side.

I served mine with some steamed green beans and fresh cherry tomatoes. Enjoy!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I adore chicken thighs, so make almost all of my chicken dishes with thighs.

Date and Olive Braised Chicken Thighs

Ingredients:
2 lb. chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
olive oil
salt and pepper
1 Tbsp Garam Masala
1 Tsp Curry powder
2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 Tbsp creme of coconut, or substitute 1/4 cup coconut milk
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, roughly chopped
1/2 cup pitted dates, roughly chopped
Zest of one lemon
A good handful of fresh oregano and thyme, leaves picked
1 cup of white wine
good quality chicken stock
Cooked Basmati rice

Directions:

Season the chicken thighs liberally with salt and pepper. In a heavy duty pan or Dutch Oven, heat the olive oil over medium high heat and add the chicken thighs, skin down. Cook for a good 6 or 7 minutes to get some colour on the skin, and turn over the chicken thighs, and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove the chicken thighs from the pan and reserve on a warm plate.

Add the onion to the pan along with some oil and cook for a couple of minutes until translucent, then add the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add the olives, dates, lemon zest, and herbs, along with the garam masala, the curry powder, the creme of coconut, and the cayenne pepper. Stir to incorporate, and then add the wine and enough chicken stock to cover the chicken.

Return the chicken to the pot, bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to simmer for another 30 minutes or until the chicken is tender, but not falling off of the bone.

Serve over Basmati rice cooked with lemon zest. Enjoy!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is super easy.

Honey, Orange, and Sriracha Glazed Chicken Thighs

Ingredients:
4 skin on, bone in chicken thighs
sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup sriracha sauce
4 tbsp cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1 tbsp olive oil
small bunch of fresh thyme, leaves picked
Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Liberally season both sides of the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and set aside in an oven safe baking dish.
In a separate bowl, combine the honey, sriracha, orange juice, olive oil, and picked thyme leaves and stir until thoroughly mixed. Arrange the chicken thighs in the dish and spoon 1/2 of the mixture on top of the chicken thighs.

Bake for 25 minutes, and remove from the oven. Spoon the remaining honey sriracha sauce over the thighs and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the juices run clear.

Serve with rice and a lovely salad.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
MMMMM, LTP, they all sound delicious!!! Thanks.

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your kind comments, I'm going to try Honey/Orange thighs recipe
2.gif

Date: 8/2/2009 7:10:38 PM
Author: April20

Camille, what makes it 'sticky' chicken?
I want to know too! The recipe sounds good... the five hours part scares me some though. You mentioned you do it in a slow cooker sometimes- how does that work in comparison? Does it eliminate the need to baste?
I asked Nancy the very same question 11 years ago, when you open the oven door around 3rd hour to baste [not much liquid runs before then] you will notice the skin getting quite melded to the meat and it will continue to 'stick' as it bakes. The whole bird will have a deep golden glow, wings will be def sticky lol. When we have company I bake two, you'll be surprised how quickly they dissapear. Leftovers......the best chx sandwich you'll ever eat.
Baking time is scary indeed, but for me= time for setting table, making dessert, chilling wine, salad, shower and even moping the floor.
As for comparison, there's a BIG difference but similar taste. Crock pot eliminates the basting, you get lots of stock and the skin floats a bit...no biggie for DH/kids, the skin gets trashed anyway, [on the baked option, there's no way you could separate the two] major presentation difference, and.....sticky, sticky fingers when you try to plate it. Enjoy!

kiett98

Shiny_Rock
My favorite chicken recipe is from Down Home with the Neely''s on the food network.

Get Yo'' Man Chicken

Ingredients:
2 tablespoon olive oil
6 item chicken thighs, skinless
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 item medium onion, sliced
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup white wine
1 item can crushed tomatoes in thick puree
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary
1 tablespoon lemon-pepper
1 item Hot buttered rice
2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves

Preparation:
Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.

Pat chicken dry with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken, meat-side down first, and turning once, about 4 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate to reserve.

Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of oil from the pan.

Add onion to the pan and saute until tender, roughly 3 minutes. Add the stock and wine and stir, scrapping any brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Turn heat to high and reduce by half, about 3 minutes. Pour in the crushed tomatoes and add the dried herbs and lemon pepper. Add the chicken thighs back to the pan. Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 40 minutes.

Remove chicken from liquid and serve on hot buttered rice. Ladle the sauce on top and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.

P.S. my man does love it, too!

9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great thread! I''ll have to try some of these.
18.gif

These are 2 of my faves.

Alpine Chicken

8 boneless chicky boobs
8 oz. shredded swiss cheese
8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
2/3 c. milk
1 can each - cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup
1 small bag Pepperidge Farm Herb stuffing (the shredded type, not the cubes)
1/2-1 stick butter, melted

Place boobs in greased 9x13 baking dish. Cover with cheeses. Mix milk and soups, pour all over. Toss stuffing with melted butter (better with 1 stick), cover top of casserole. Cover dish tightly with foil. Bake at 335 for 1 hour. Remove foil and bake another 15 min.

This is super easy and quick to make, and really good. Great for company. Leftover are yummy too.

Light Chicken in Gravy

4-5 boneless chicky boobs
olive oil
flour
1 small can chicken broth
2 cans lowfat cream of mushroom soup
1/2 c. canned Parmesan cheese
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 lb. fresh mushroom, sliced
Durkees French Fried Onions

Spray baking dish with Pam or the like. Brush boobs with OO, coat with flour. Place in baking dish and cook for 20 min. at 425.

Meanwhile, combine rest of ingred. except cheese and oinions. When twenty min. are up, reduce heat to 325. Pour mixture over chicken, top with cheese and onions. Bake an additional 25 min.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
I love this one from allrecipes.com and modified it slightly - it tastes pretty authentic and I've made it several times and DH loves it with rice. I've even added zucchini to the chicken and it still tasted great. Leftovers taste wonderful too.

Indian Tomato Chicken
INGREDIENTS:
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 slice fresh ginger root
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 (1 inch) piece cinnamon stick, chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
6 skinless chicken thighs
1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
1½ teaspoon of sugar – if necessary at the end
Chili powder to taste – add at the end, if necessary

DIRECTIONS:
1.Place onion, garlic and ginger in a food processor and process into a paste. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add onion paste and sauté, stirring continuously, for about 10 minutes.
2.Stir in the cumin, turmeric, salt, pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves and nutmeg. Sauté, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes. Place chicken pieces in skillet and stir them around with the spice mixture until they are well coated.
3.Sauté for another 4 minutes, then pour in the tomatoes with liquid and stir. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours, or until the oil has separated from the liquid. Stir occasionally. (Note: If you simmer uncovered, the sauce will thicken; add water, or keep covered while simmering.)

ITC pic.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
This Zesty Slow Cooker Chicken Barbeque recipe is great if you don''t have a ton of ingredients on hand, and you want a hearty meal without using beef.

It''s worth checking out on All Recipes just to read all the reviews, people share really interesting alternatives.

Here''s the recipe in case you don''t want to use the link:

Zesty Slow Cooker Chicken Barbeque from All Recipes
* 6 frozen skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
* 1 (12 ounce) bottle barbeque sauce
* 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
* 1/4 cup brown sugar
* 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

DIRECTIONS

1. Place chicken in a slow cooker. In a bowl, mix the barbeque sauce, Italian salad dressing, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over the chicken.

2. Cover, and cook 3 to 4 hours on High or 6 to 8 hours on Low. Shred once it''s all cooked, super easy.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/2/2009 10:45:02 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier

Me, too. I don''t see any sugar or balsamic or anything that would caramelize with heat, so I''m curious as to what makes it ''Sticky''. Sounds yummy, and EASY!
I also have a recipe for Sticky Chicken from the allrecipes site, but it makes almost double the rub (I guess you can just use as much as you want). The low-temp roast method doesn''t crisp the skin as much, and the juices blend with the spice rub so the skin is a little sticky when it''s done. It''s not sticky like a wet glaze, but it''s very good. I also spatchcock the chicken so that it cooks more evenly - you won''t have a cavity to put the onions in, but I don''t notice that flavor much anyway. Spatchcocking will probably reduce the cooking time too.

Sorry, I know "spatchcock" sounds like something that would make men very afraid - sometimes I like to use that term around DH, and he doesn''t know whether to cringe or snort. You basically cut out the backbone, spread out the bird breastside up, and flatten it. I like to stand the chicken up on it''s rear, cut down either side of the backbone with my chefs knife and remove, but some people lay the bird breastside down and use shears to cut the backbone out. Once the backbone is out, just flip it breastside up, apply some pressure to the breastbone (it will probably crack), and flatten it. Don''t forget to save the backbone for chicken stock!
18.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re having chicken for dinner tonight. I threw together a marinade last night--a little of this, a little of that-- we''ll see how it tastes tonight..

Juice of 1 lemon
salt
pepper
2 crushed cloves of garlic
dollop if dijon mustard
a few splashes of worcestershire sauce
oregano

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Thanks ladies for sharing your recipes! I can''t wait to try them all. They all sound good.
HH, I actually used lemon zest, S& P, lemon juice and garlic on chicken last night, and it tasted really good. The other ingredients would work really good with that combo.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Two of my favourite chicken recipes (not for the faint of heart, but they are really good)

Chocolate Chicken

Take a chicken filet, marinate it with olive oil, garlic, rosemary, onions, etc. Pound it so that it is thinner (but not too thin) and flat. Mix some cream cheese and herbs and spread this on the chicken, with a larger dollop on one end. Roll the chicken up so that the dollop is in the center. and sprinkle a little salt on the outside surface. Secure with a toothpick if necessary. Heat up a griddle so it is quite hot. Sear the chicken so it gets nice and caremilized outside, then lower the heat so it will cook through.

For the sauce, melt some bitter chocolate and cream, to make a thin, saucy ganache. Add some pepper, salt and a dash of pepper. Pour over the cooked chicken.

Warm, gooey cream cheese; warm, gooey chocolate and nice, crisp, salty chicken is to die for!

Salt baked chicken

This is my very own adaption of the traditional salt baked fish. It is not overly salty at all, but very tender and herby.

Season on the bone chicken breasts (with the skin on - very important!) with some black pepper and whatever herbs you have on hand/like (sage, rosemary, thime and other hardy herbs work very well, avoid very tender herbs which shouldn''t be heated). Place some under the skin as well.

Make a bed of lime slices on a baking dish and place the chicken breasts. Now, for the scary/fun part. Mix plenty of sea salt (in crystals, not finely ground) and an egg white. Spread this over the chicken very thickly (around a centimeter) and so that the entire chicken breast is sealed, trapping the steam while it is cooking. Best to err on too much salt than a too thin crust. Bake in a hot oven until done.

Remove from the oven, whack it with a spoon until the salt crust breaks and remove the chicken. Serve.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results