shape
carat
color
clarity

Share your ceremony reading(s), please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Ladies, I was wondering what you used/will use for ceremony readings. What was/were your inspiration(s) for your ceremony reading(s)?
Please share!

DMBFiredancer

Brilliant_Rock
I put a twist on one of the popular ones and rewrote it to fit us....

We live by the beach and are huge baseball fans, so I needed a wave and baseball reference...

---------------------
What is a good marriage?
A good marriage must be created.
It is never being too old to hold hands and giggle.
It is remembering to say “I love you” often
It is listening, being supportive, and allowing the other person to grow.
It is sharing the same interests, goals, and dreams…
and making those dreams come true together.
It is speaking words of appreciation and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways.
It is taking care of the other person when they are not feeling their best.
It is riding the waves of life together, and helping with support when the other wipes out.
And most importantly,
It is rooting for each other’s baseball team,
unless they are playing each other in the World Series!

DMBFiredancer

Brilliant_Rock
it was tweaked from this original...

A good marriage must be created.
In marriage the "little" things are the big things.
It is never being too old to hold hands.
It is remembering to say, "I love you" at least once a day.
It is never going to sleep angry.
It is having a mutual sense of values, and common objectives.
It is standing together and facing the world.
It is forming a circle that gathers in the whole family.
It is speaking words of appreciation, and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways.
It is having the capacity to forgive and forget.
It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow.
It is a common search for the good and the beautiful.
It is not only marrying the right person -- it is being the right partner."

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE it!!!!! It''s so cute!!!
9.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
We have been talking about this lately, too! It seems like everything we come across that is appropriate is so overdone. :-/ I like the ee cummings poem "i carry your heart with me", so maybe we'll use that?

ETA: The only thing I don't like about that is that they used it in that stupid "In Her Shoes" movie and then it was like everyone suddenly discovered it. Gah. Stupid movies.

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/24/2009 11:10:40 AM
Author: ladypirate
We have been talking about this lately, too! It seems like everything we come across that is appropriate is so overdone. :-/ I like the ee cummings poem ''i carry your heart with me'', so maybe we''ll use that?

ETA: The only thing I don''t like about that is that they used it in that stupid ''In Her Shoes'' movie and then it was like everyone suddenly discovered it. Gah. Stupid movies.
LP, I feel the exact same way!

Right now we haven''t really picked anything - but we have over 9 months left so no rush. I do really like the Robert Fulgham reading "Union," I would say that''s a top contender right now.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
We''re using "The Union" by Robert Fulghum...along with 23546 other people on here. LOL! Thanks Gyspy, I never woulda found it without ya!
2.gif

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2009 11:34:18 AM
Author: sunnyd
We''re using ''The Union'' by Robert Fulghum...along with 23546 other people on here. LOL! Thanks Gyspy, I never woulda found it without ya!
2.gif

I too was thinking about that, but after doing some research today, I found one called “Blessing of the Hands”, author unknown.

These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and full of love for you, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as you promise to love each other today, tomorrow, and forever. These are the hands that will work alongside yours, as together you build your future. These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, and with the slightest touch, will comfort you like no other. These are the hands that will hold you when fear or grief fills your mind. These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes; tears of sorrow, and tears of joy. These are the hands that will tenderly hold your children. These are the hands that will help you to hold your family as one. These are the hands that will give you strength when you need it. And lastly, these are the hands that even when wrinkled and aged, will still be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch.

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/24/2009 1:47:12 PM
Author: princessplease

Date: 7/24/2009 11:34:18 AM
We're using 'The Union' by Robert Fulghum...along with 23546 other people on here. LOL! Thanks Gyspy, I never woulda found it without ya!
2.gif

I too was thinking about that, but after doing some research today, I found one called “Blessing of the Hands”, author unknown.

These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and full of love for you, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as you promise to love each other today, tomorrow, and forever. These are the hands that will work alongside yours, as together you build your future. These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, and with the slightest touch, will comfort you like no other. These are the hands that will hold you when fear or grief fills your mind. These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes; tears of sorrow, and tears of joy. These are the hands that will tenderly hold your children. These are the hands that will help you to hold your family as one. These are the hands that will give you strength when you need it. And lastly, these are the hands that even when wrinkled and aged, will still be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch.
This is the only secular reading that our priest allowed. So we are doing this one right before the ring exchange.

ETA: These are our biblical readings:

First Reading: Genesis 2:18-14
Second Reading: 1 Colossians 3:12-17
Gospel Reading: John 15:9, 12

I love the Reading from 1 Corinthians, but FI thinks it's very overused, so he choose the second reading. Hopefully, no one will miss it too much.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
"The love of God, Unutterable and perfect, flows into a pure soul the way light rushes into a transparent object. The more love we receive, the more love we shine forth; so that, as we grow clear and open, the more complete the joy of loving is. And the more souls who resonate together, the greater the intensity of their love for, mirror like, each soul reflects the other." (from The Divine Comedy by Dante)

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Chiming in again with something I thought was funny--FI said that he didn''t mind so much what our readings were, but he under NO circumstances wanted anyone to talk about the symbolism of circles! Ha.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
That''s beautiful too PP!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2009 2:28:49 PM
That''s beautiful too PP!

Thanks, sunnyd
9.gif

I want to do one more, but I''m stumped on a second one.
40.gif

JR320

Shiny_Rock
We want to have one scripture reading and one reading that is a little more secular. We''ve been having trouble settling on a scripture that is NOT 1 Cor. 13.

We''re thinking about this one:
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12
Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor.
For if either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion. But woe to the one who falls when there is not another to lift him up.
Furthermore, if two lie down together they keep warm, but how can one be warm alone?
And if one can overpower him who is alone, two can resist him. A cord of three strands is not quickly torn apart.

And this one:
From "The Irrational Season" by Madeleine L''Engle
But ultimately there comes a moment when a decision must be made. Ultimately two people who love each other must ask themselves how much they hope for as their love grows and deepens, and how much risk they are willing to take…It is indeed a fearful gamble…Because it is the nature of love to create, a marriage itself is something which has to be created, so that, together we become a new creature.

To marry is the biggest risk in human relations that a person can take…If we commit ourselves to one person for life this is not, as many people think, a rejection of freedom; rather it demands the courage to move into all the risks of freedom, and the risk of love which is permanent; into that love which is not possession, but participation…It takes a lifetime to learn another person…When love is not possession, but participation, then it is part of that co-creation which is our human calling, and which implies such risk that it is often rejected.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2009 2:08:05 PM
Author: ladypirate
Chiming in again with something I thought was funny--FI said that he didn''t mind so much what our readings were, but he under NO circumstances wanted anyone to talk about the symbolism of circles! Ha.

LOL!!!!!!
9.gif

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Union​

1. You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. From that moment of yes to this moment of yes, indeed, you have been making promises and agreements in an informal way. All those conversations that were held riding in a car or over a meal or during long walks - all those sentences that began with “When we’re married” and continued with “I will and you will and we will”- those late night talks that included “someday” and “somehow” and “maybe”- and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding. The symbolic vows that you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, “ You know all those things we’ve promised and hoped and dreamed- well, I meant it all, every word.” Look at one another and remember this moment in time. Before this moment you have been many things to one another- acquaintance, friend, companion, lover, dancing partner, and even teacher, for you have learned much from one another in these last few years. Now you shall say a few words that take you across a threshold of life, and things will never quite be the same between you. For after these vows, you shall say to the world, this- is my husband, this- is my wife.

Robert Fulghum
Yes, I''ll Marry You
Pam Ayres

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Yes, I''ll marry you, my dear,
And here''s the reason why;
So I can push you out of bed
When the baby starts to cry,
And if we hear a knocking
And it''s creepy and it''s late,
I hand you the torch you see,
And you investigate.

Yes I''ll marry you, my dear,
You may not apprehend it,
But when the tumble-drier goes
It''s you that has to mend it,
You have to face the neighbour
Should our labrador attack him,
And if a drunkard fondles me
It''s you that has to whack him.

Yes, I''ll marry you,
You''re virile and you''re lean,
My house is like a pigsty
You can help to keep it clean.
That sexy little dinner
Which you served by candlelight,
As I do chipolatas,
You can cook it every night!

It''s you who has to work the drill
and put up curtain track,
And when I''ve got PMT it''s you who gets the flak,
I do see great advantages,
But none of them for you,
And so before you see the light,
I do, I do, I do!
[/FONT]

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
We are going to have "Union- Robert Fulghum"
1.gif

(A big thankyou to Gypsy)

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Honey I love the 2nd one!! It''s so lighthearted but adorable and loving at the same time. Great choice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results