shape
carat
color
clarity

Share a share a happy memory or 2 of a loved one who is gone

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I was hoping some of you would share a happy memory or 2 of a loved one who is gone who you miss dearly but when you think of these memories it makes you smile and fills your heart with love and joy. I know this might be a challenging thread to post in and share your memories of loved ones who are gone who you are missing very much but I also am hoping it is a thread that will lift our spirits remembering happy times with that loved one...

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Share a share a happy memory or 2 of a loved one who is

My grandfather kept coins in his boot. I wasn't exactly close to him, we lived very far away, but as children if we were good he'd do this whole thing, play a charade kind of thing, with picking a coin out of his boot for us. He'd pretend he'd ran out of coins, but purposefully shake his boot as he walked away. We'd chase him. He'd take off the wrong boot, all the children would climb on grandpa trying to take off the correct boot.

They were interesting, often older coins and usually foreign. As an adult I suspect that they were the rejects from the small town bank where he worked. When I see change on the ground and pick it up I think of grandpa's boot and picking out coins. I aced a few spelling tests to get my coins!

That sounds weird typing it out.

ETA: to expand, more of a story...so it didn't sound so weird.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rhea, thank you for sharing and no that sounds like a great memory. Not weird at all!

I am running out of time right now but just a quick share for now from me.

I miss my grandma Beatrice (everyone called her Bea) who died suddenly in 1992. Totally unexpected and I never got to say goodbye to her while she was alive. That is the hardest thing for me to come to terms with but I have because I have no other choice. My happy memories of her are many but my Monday afternoon visits with her when I was a young adult are very sweet memories. The way I would stop by and just visit with her on Mondays are times I cherish and hold dear to my heart. I still miss her very much though it has been decades since she has been gone. Her love for me (and all of the family) and my love for her is still one of the most unconditional loves I have ever experienced.

I know this is a silly memory but the one I am remembering right this minute is how my grandma used to say how wonderful it was that I went to a great college and graduate school and have a wonderful profession but when am I going to get married and have children of my own. And I would respond but Grandma I am happy right now being single and enjoying my life and she would respond yes but when are you going to get married. Hahaha IDK that makes me smile. She was from another generation and went though many tough times and yet no matter how much my sister and I accomplished and how very proud of us I knew she was she still wanted us to get married and be happy that way. Grandma I hope you can see us now and see how much we are loved by our dhs and children/nieces and how happy we are today. Love you grandma and miss you very much.

_35831.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Man, this is a great topic. Missy, I love the pic of your grandma.

My memory is of my mom when I was seven years old. She was battling liver cancer which we think started somewhere else and spread. It was Christmas time and she was very sick, she would end up passing away five months later on Mother's Day weekend. Anyways I slept on the couch and I woke up in the middle of the night and saw her sitting in the chair across from me sleeping. She had her blanket draped neatly on her lap and the Christmas tree was still on so the lights gave her this really peaceful glow. I remember thinking I had to remember this so I just stared for a long time. Thirty years later I still remember and it's still the clearest memory I have of her.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love my maternal grandmother so much. Every time I kissed her cheek before leaving her house when school break comes to an end, I would smell her perfumed powder. I have a vague memory of that scent until today and in spite of all the diamond and CS earrings I own, I still reach for her tri-diamond earrings that she wore everyday that my mother passed down to me. I pick those earrings 95% of the time.

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock

Mine is of my dad who passed years ago, but I still miss him every day and he was a wonderful man. This memory is kind of funny and always makes me laugh when I think about it... He called me at work one day to see how I was doing. I was busy and doing a couple of things at once while we were talking and he got onto the subject of putting a potato in the microwave and describing what was the perfect time to set it at for the most perfectly cooked potato.

He said, "I set it to 500 and it was too undercooked and 700 was too much, but if you set it to 600 minutes, it cooks perfectly every time."

I was like, "Ah, ok. 600 minutes sounds about right," as I'm really bad at math :confused: in my head and also remembering that it takes forever to bake a potato in a regular oven so the 600 minutes seemed legit. :think:

A few seconds later it dawned on me, "Dad, did you say 600 minutes?"

"Yeah, you press 6-0-0 and it's 600 minutes."

"Dad, you mean 6 minutes, not 600 minutes, otherwise the potato would blow up in the microwave or something!"

He just laughed and was like, "Oh. Yeah. Hahaha, 600 minutes would be too much."

Every time I make a baked potato in the microwave for my husband, I press 6-0-0 thinking of my dad. He was right too. The potato comes out great every time. :))

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

My favorite Uncle (Moms brother) was the nicest, kindest and gentlest person I knew. Always laughing and smiling and joking. Calming voice.

He once told me my bran muffins would be perfect if they didn't have so much cement in them. LOLOL He knew I was learning to bake and he was teasing. I still LOL when I think of this. :lol:

cheers--Sharon

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My grandmother and I shared a love of jewelry, and a lot of my memories of her involve me trying on her diamonds and other beautiful things, and she gave me several of my first jewelry pieces. I inherited some of her things and their sentimental value is far more significant than what they're worth--they are things I will pass down to my daughter. One of the last times I talked to her in a lucid state, she was wearing a solitaire RB ring I'd never seen before. I said, "Grandma, are you and so-and-so engaged?" (She always had a boyfriend after my grandfather passed, and they were always giving her jewelry.) She laughed, and said, "no, someone else gave me this a long time ago. I guess he THOUGHT we were engaged, but we weren't." She was so matter-of-fact about it. I was going through my divorce at the time and I said "Grandma, I want to be just like you when I grow up." :lol: She was as self-made a woman as she could've been growing up with very conservative parents--taught herself how to drive a manual car when she was 14 or 15, no big deal, ran successful businesses, raised 2 kids after getting pregnant as a teenager and having to marry my grandfather but probably not wanting to, and dealing with some pretty terrible things throughout her life. She had character, though, and she didn't really care what anyone thought of her, she just did what she wanted to do. I was her only granddaughter and she really did love spoiling me, much to my mother's chagrin. She had her flaws, just like everyone else, but she also had chutzpah and a kind of fearlessness about the world that I identified with even at a young age. I appreciated who she was even though others in my family did not. I think we "got" each other.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My late partner, who died of a canal boat related accident in Nov 2008.

My dog started off as his dog, and I decided to keep him after his death.

He is a stubborn little dog, and he did not get that from me, honest!

DK :rolleyes: :bigsmile:

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock

I had a favorite great aunt who was both a farm wife and a career woman -- at the same time! She made butter and raised chickens and had an almost full-time music lesson business as well, eventually with three pianos, an organ and an assistant teacher. And of course she played the organ for church, weddings and every civic event, and sometimes taught classroom music in the local grade school, showing everyone how to play the harmonica.

Hard as she worked, she always dropped everything in the afternoon when we visited to take us for a picnic, or shopping, or on a trip to the
amusement park. She kept a separate TV room for young nieces and nephews, and a separate refrigerator for them, too, full of things like soda pop and orange sherbet. She never had children of her own, but she and my great uncle raised several "drop-offs," usually making sure they got piano lessons.

Her jewelry was special. She didn't ever wear a wedding ring during her happy 55-year marriage, because it was a "badge of slavery," but she had a diamond-enhanced Eastern Star ring instead. One of my nieces has it now. But mostly she loved high-end department store costume jewelry, the sparklier the better, and said a woman shouldn't be caught dead without a few neck chains, as she always called necklaces. I have a few of them, and recently gave one to my cousin's granddaughter.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

My grandparents owned a restaurant when I was a child and my grandfather would always tell us to check the pay phone for coins that people forgot. Turns out, he was the one putting coins in the coin return just so we would think we'd struck it rich! He passed away when I was 11 and it makes me sad that he never got to see me grow up.

My grandmother (his wife) was my best friend during my teen years and we used to spend hours together in the summer time crocheting and painting each other's nails/toenails. She passed away 10 days before my wedding, sadly. I think about her daily and she comes to me in my dreams, usually when I'm having a rough time and/or need to make an important decision. I know she is my guardian angel. :saint:

Just thought of another one...DH's grandfather, who I only knew for about 5 years before he passed, was a funny man. He battled Parkinson's disease and used a walker to aid with his ambulation, which was very slow. One time he and DH's grandmother (also a very lovely woman who I never saw without makeup or shoes until the day she died, in her 90's) were leaving my MIL's house after a family dinner and grandpa got up on his walker and stated to the family "Let's haul ass!". I laughed so hard I almost peed myself! :lol: This is the same man who said to my DH, with me sitting right there, on the day he met me, "She looks a lot better in person than in pictures". I was a little insulted at the time, until I realized that that was just his sense of humor. :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Aww I am really loving reading everyone's happy and sweet memories of their loved ones. Thank you for sharing!

My next loving memory is of my kitty Billy who I adopted in 1993. He was such a special kitty. He thought he was human haha and he always wanted to be held and cuddled and loved sitting on my lap purring. When people came over he ran right up to them as in ooh more loving hugs and cuddles to be enjoyed. :love: The specific memory is when I was on my building's co-op board and I held the monthly board meeting in my apartment. Billy would run right up to everyone and when we sat down to begin the meeting up on the mahogany dining room table he went and up to each member hitting into them demanding attention. LOL he was so funny and even the members that were allergic loved having Billy acknowledge their presence and demand love. :halo:

I don't have any photos of Billy at the board meetings as that was before I had a mobile phone and I never had a camera so the only pics I have from that time is from other people taking them.

My last memory I will share is that of my very first kitty Buster. I adopted him in 1992 when I was done with my residency and civilian appointment as an employee there and moved from West Point to NYC and got my first apartment. I decided it was time for a fur baby and since I was a single gal always going out and such I vetoed the idea of getting a dog since I wouldn't be home much with working and going out. Dogs were who I grew up with and knew and loved all my childhood. Cats were unfamiliar creatures to me haha but I was intrigued and excited. Went with my dad to the pound and I let him go in to choose and I stayed in the car waiting because I couldn't bear the thought of choosing a cat meant letting others we didn't choose possibly die. :cry:

Anyway my dad chose Buster and he was such a smart kitty. He played fetch like a dog and was very demanding of attention all the time. Loved him so much. The memory I am sharing of Buster is when I brought my boyfriend back to my apartment to meet Buster for the first time and he was allergic (as all my boyfriends seemed to be lol but it never stopped anyone of them so there you go 8) ). We were making out on the couch (LOL I was young and in love) and Buster didn't like that at all. So he ran up to Andy and Andy wanting to get rid of him threw something out in the distance to get Buster's attention away from us and Buster ran after it and brought it back to Andy hahah. That was the beginning of Buster playing fetch. It was the first time we realized Buster liked playing and could play fetch hahaha. And Andy was super impressed as he didn't know cats could do that. Neither did I! :bigsmile:

Sharing 2 pics. Sadly I have very few pics of either Buster or Billy as this was in the 90's before I had a mobile phone and I started taking pics.

Would love to hear more happy memories if you are willing to share them with us. :))

billyatauntdebbie_s.jpg

missyandbabybuster1992.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Missy - this thread is a great idea. Thank you for starting it. I've enjoyed reading the memories posted so far!

My mother was a crafter back before it became a word. She was born and raised in a time when girls were expected to learn knitting, sewing, and other forms of needlework as part of the skill set they would need to be wives, but my mother was a creative person, and these skills seemed to fill a need of the spirit as well. We had not been in the States long when my father bought her her first electric sewing machine, a Kenmore with zig-zag capabilities bought from someone who came to our house to demonstrate it. (I'm not sure my brother and I ever forgave her for giving the old hand-crank straight stitch machine, in its lovely wooden box, that had come with us from Europe, to charity - but that's another story. :lol: ) I'm sure the sewing machine was quite an investment, but money was tight and this was back when one could still save money by sewing for the home and family, before everything was made overseas. Many of our clothes, curtains, etc. were sewn on that machine using fabrics from the local department store's "bargain basement."

I was probably seven or eight when my mother made me a lovely coat using a faux fur leopard print. The fabric was so luxurious, clearly not from the bargain basement. Even the lining was a special insulating satin that I know must have cost a great deal. The coat was nicely detailed, with a peter pan collar and patch pockets. I felt very special wearing it, and knew even then that this coat was made with love. Eventually of course i outgrew it, and since I have no younger sisters, it was passed on to another family. My mother continued to sew clothes for us (especially for me) for several more years, until she started working outside of the home full-time.

Fast forward to 15 or 20 years ago. My mother had retired and taking up quilting with a passion, the days of sewing clothing long behind her. I must have mentioned at some point that it was finally time for me to replace the lovely robe my parents had given me when I was in college, because one day the post man delivered a large box containing a new robe! It was a new wrap-around robe, made of a leopard print fleece! It was a fairly simple style, without extra embellishments or flourishes, but it was properly faced and made to last. It was also rather roomy; my mother had not scrimped on fabric for this robe! I have to admit that I'm a bit of a fabric snob and would never have picked fleece for my own project, but I this robe filled a need and did its job well. More importantly, it reminded me of that leopard coat my mother had made for me when I was a child - and I know it was made with the same love. I still wear that robe, even though it doesn't overlap quite as generously and the sash seems to have shrunk!

My mother passed away two years ago. One of my last memories of her crafting is bitter-sweet. She could no longer do fine needlework, but had started to make bookmarks using that bubbly stuff that's sold as an underlay for small rugs etc. and her stash of lovely rayon embroidery thread. I'm sure she wanted to make each of us one last memento. She was getting frustrated because she could no longer handle the fine needles, so I raced to a nearby knitting store to get some nice fat darning needles. It was too late, however... apparently the cancer was progressing to her brain, and she could no longer make the stitches go where she saw them in her mind. As heartbreaking as that was, it showed that the need to create was a part of her very being, and it's one of the strongest memories I have of my mother.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mom spend her last days in a coma.
I'd visit and talk to her, but there was no reaction from her.

Next time I brought my guitar and sang her favorite song.
She opened her eyes for a second and said, "Kenny".
Then she slipped back into that state.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

VRbeauty, your story made me cry! (In a good way.) Beautifully told. Thank you for sharing.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64|1460800826|4019949 said:
VRbeauty, your story made me cry! (In a good way.) Beautifully told. Thank you for sharing.

Me too VR. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. (((Hugs))).

And thank you everyone. All your stories touched my heart. (((Hugs))) to you all and thank you for sharing memories of your loved ones that make you smile.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My mom is gone 52 years this month. Our last trip was to the Philadelphia zoo. It seems like an eternity ago. My dad is gone 16 years last month. Sometimes it seems like forever and sometimes it seems like yesterday. I'm 57 next week. Seems like I'm 21!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Missy, I just wanted to say what a lovely thread this is. It's too painful for me to share - maybe in a another few years! - but it's so amazing that someone asked. When someone dies, basically your friends and their friends never mention them again, and certainly no one ever shares their memories of the person, or asks you about your own memories of them. So it's wonderful that you started this thread. It's as if, wow - someone actually cares about someone else's precious memories!

Weirdly, everyone I know has parents living into their late eighties/nineties, so I don't really know many people who have lost family, and they can't understand what it's like. Personally, I have found a massive gulf between those who have lost and those who haven't, and one of the most glaring differences is that way that the person is never mentioned again. But they wouldn't like it if their own special person was never mentioned again - but of course, they haven't experienced that yet.

So anyway, the existence of this thread is a little like balm to the soul!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The memories I want to share involve scent and the three women who were most influential in my life, growing up and beyond.

Every once in a while, I will catch the scent my grandmother wore. It always makes me think of lilacs, though I'm not sure if it's actually the scent of lilacs. Then there is my mom's scent. She liked Channel #5. I will always associate that scent with Mom. They passed in 1977 and 1979. Clearly, some scents just stay with you.

Although she is still with us, I also know my dear Aunt's scent. Estee. She's in a nursing home and hasn't worn it in quite a while, but the same goes.

Strangely enough, I don't wear a signature scent. For some reason, while enjoy other's wearing perfume/cologne, I cannot tolerate it on myself.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

Great thread!!
I think my happy Memory was of my Nanny who many of you knew of her through me...
I took care of her for 16 years and my grandfather... My grandfather passed away after a long battle with cancer.

Nanny was a riot,said exactly what was on her mind

Her quips are well known here...

The best one was when she had days left. She died on Mother's day which was fitting as she was the only mother figure in my life..

She said darling I might not see you tomorrrow.

I said I know, please know that you can go now and be in peace. I will miss you like crazy but I will be ok.
She said, lets pick a time where you can look up at the sky, and we can have that time every day to connect. You can talk to me and I will hear your words..

She then cracked me up saying don't pick an early time , you are not a morning person, so we picked noon .

It's been 10 years but we always have that special time..

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

Great thread!!
I think my happy Memory was of my Nanny who many of you knew of her through me...
I took care of her for 16 years and my grandfather... My grandfather passed away after a long battle with cancer.

The best one was when she had days left. She died on Mother's day which was fitting as she was the only mother figure in my life..

I said I know, please know that you can go now and be in peace. I will miss you like crazy but I will be ok.
She said, lets pick a time where you can look up at the sky, and we can have that time every day to connect. You can talk to me and I will hear your words..

She then cracked me up saying don't pick an early time , you are not a morning person, so we picked noon .

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

Great thread!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

Great thread!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

Great thread!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

Great thread!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

Sorry for the multiple posts... New computer and having issues.. :((

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kaleigh|1460928559|4020548 said:
Sorry for the multiple posts... New computer and having issues.. :((

Hey, are you that drunk lady DF keeps talking about? :lol:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I miss my grandmother, whom I loved very much.
She died 5 years ago. She was a real big influence on me. She taught us all to cook, and also eat!
She hated packaged, canned, boxed food, and made everything from scratch.
So naturally, I feel the same way. Anything can be made in your own kitchen.

But my memory was when my sister and I were teenagers, we were talking with her about hair and makeup.
She was always a sharp dresser.
She told us that the reason to always look good was because "If your man isn't looking at you, he's looking at someone else!"

Another time, she told us "Never leave the house without lipstick!" --to which my sister added, "Never leave the house without lipstick and earrings!"
Words to live by.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jambalaya|1460917412|4020492 said:
Missy, I just wanted to say what a lovely thread this is. It's too painful for me to share - maybe in a another few years! - but it's so amazing that someone asked. When someone dies, basically your friends and their friends never mention them again, and certainly no one ever shares their memories of the person, or asks you about your own memories of them. So it's wonderful that you started this thread. It's as if, wow - someone actually cares about someone else's precious memories!

Weirdly, everyone I know has parents living into their late eighties/nineties, so I don't really know many people who have lost family, and they can't understand what it's like. Personally, I have found a massive gulf between those who have lost and those who haven't, and one of the most glaring differences is that way that the person is never mentioned again. But they wouldn't like it if their own special person was never mentioned again - but of course, they haven't experienced that yet.

So anyway, the existence of this thread is a little like balm to the soul!

Aww Jambalaya, I am sorry you experienced this and just want you to know whenever you feel like sharing I am always here to listen and always good for sending (((hugs))) your way. It is so painful missing (a) loved one(s) and with time the pain does dull but it is still always an ache in one's heart. At least for me that's how it feels. Even when I think of our first dog my parents got while my mom was pregnant with me and who I grew up with I get that ache in my heart though he has been gone 42 years now. I miss him and while I have happy memories of Apache I still hurt a bit thinking how short of a time he had with us.

I hope you don't mind but I feel like sharing another 2 pics. I have already shared these pics on PS but it makes me happy to share it again. Apache and my grandparents. All 3 of them gone. The rest of the people in the pic (Aunt, Uncle, Sister, and parents and me) thankfully still with us. We have a very small family. The only other people in our small family is my dh, my sister's dh and our nieces.
These 2 photos are from 1970.

_37009.jpg

_37008_0.jpg

Jambalaya, whenever you are ready to share your memories I am here for you. There is of course no timetable on such matters and it is when your heart feels ready to share. I am so sorry you are missing them so much and also sorry people don't get it and are not there for you the way you wish they were. I get it and know I am here for you however I can be. Always more than happy to hear a shared memory, thought or anything. ((Hugs))).

Another loved one whom I still miss very much is Butch my orange haired kitty. No photos of him sadly. I never owned a camera (until I got a cell phone in 2003) so only have pics and videos from my friends. I have a great video that includes Butch but cannot share it here. Butch was quite the character and had such a big personality. He demanded love and attention from everyone even strangers he didn't know who would visit. Walked right up to you and demanded your attention and love. He also loved to catch bugs mid air and eat them LOL. When I think of Butch I feel pain in my heart because he died too young from an aggressive cancer. He was not even 8. My heart still aches when I think of the short time he shared with us here on earth. Of course it makes a difference how long one lived re how much pain you might feel. Love you dear Butch and hope you are at Rainbow Bridge loving and playing with Billy and Buster, Oscar and Apache, Jesse and Harley and Tara. Miss all of you so much.

KaeKae, what a lovely way to remember your mom and grandmother and your aunt when she was younger and yes fragrance does bring back so much. Love lilacs. Glad you have such a positive association with this fragrance.

Kaleigh, I am so sorry your Nanny is gone but what a wonderful way to remember her with love each day. I hope it is OK but whenever I look up in the sky now at noon I would like to think of her and what you both shared. (((Hugs))).

Stracci, thank you for sharing your lovely memory about your grandmother and her sage advice. Hugs to you. Your grandmother was a wise lady who loved her family. And I love that she was a smart dresser. She would have been quite cross with me however as I never wear lipstick. :oops: Even on my wedding day LOL. But she would forgive me because I would have loved to enjoy her cooking and I sure can eat!

AprilBaby, I am so sorry your mom died when you were such a young child. I know what you mean. Sometimes it does feel like yesterday and other times it feels like an eternity has passed. And yes at times I still feel like 21 too. The time speeds by. It really does.(((HUGS))).

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My grandma has been gone since May 2004. She was diagnosed with cancer while I was in middle school. We knew from the start that it was not treatable. The best they could do was slow it down to give her some time.

She was..... huge. As in, personality. She loved all things sparkly. Jewelry, crystal table settings, chandelier, you name it. She even got sparkly glasses. She was Nana right up to the end. She took care of all of us grandkids and then started caring for kids in her home. Just one or two at a time and they became family.

She loved holidays of all kinds. Would decorate huge for everything. (Christmas had a minimum of 3 trees inside fully decorated including a 20+ foot tree!) New sets of special holiday dishes. Every space filled with giant angels or shamrocks or flags depending on the day. I went to get groceries with her one year (and the shamrock plant we always took to her mother at the cemetery) and she decided she HAD to have the decorations the store had up around the registers. Big hanging sparkly shamrocks. So she told the checker that she wanted them. Insisted on a manager coming over and naming a price because she wasn't leaving without them. She got them!

Hawaii was her special place. She loved it. Went once a year for many years. Loved the dance, the food, the music, everything. She would order her pineapple to be sent from there. Chocolate covered macadamias. Just everything about it. She decided to take hula lessons in the last couple of years of her life. Had so much fun!
She planned most of her funeral herself. Included was that she wanted her hula class to perform three specific pieces.
I was to sing a song for her. My choice. After much searching, I found just the one -- I'll See You In Hawaii.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results