shape
carat
color
clarity

Sewn in bra cups?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
I want to opt to get the bra cups sewn into my wedding dress because i don''t want to have to worry about a strapless bra or corset. I think my dress fits better without it.

Anyways my friend told me that for her dress the seamstress required she bring in a bra then she cut that bra apart and used the cups from there. I thought they provided the cups personally. I hadn''t heard of this bra cutting thing. Is that generally the case or...?

clop

Shiny_Rock
Hi violet02, my seamstress provided the cups. There was never a mention of sewing in a taken apart bra. She did suggest either wearing a bra, or sewing in pads. For my friend''s more substantial dress, they offered to sew in a corset.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I would be horrified if someone wanted me to bring in one of my bras to cut up!!!
6.gif

It is customary for bridal salons to have cups that can be sewn into any gown. Anyone that makes or alters a wedding dress will also have cups available. In fact, for my MOB dress, I was looking at a lingerie store hoping they would have something to help keep my dress UP. They took me around the corner to the custom bridal dress store and the woman immediately started grabbing cups and putting them into my dress. It was a little odd....but $10 is all it cost for the cups. It was $10 to sew them into my dress. My daughter didn''t pay for hers as it was part of her alteration charge.

I would never cut up one of my $40 bras.
23.gif

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, never heard of the bra dismembering either...my alterations lady wanted me to put bigger cups in than I was comfy with. She kept saying "boobs never too big!" but I prevailed and got the less padded variety. A good friend was nervous about cups being put in her wedding dress and so instead ended up with Madonna cone like breast. She had gone to a cheap/inexperienced place and then had to go to an experienced and more spendy woman to fix it. Its still not yet laughable, a few months later.

Izzy03

Brilliant_Rock
I had cups sewn in to one of my high school prom dress (because my tatas were so little back then) and paid $20, seamstress provided the cups. Problems is she sewed them in upside down! So I had to remove them and re-sew them myself. All she did (which I copied) was sewed the inner and outer corners of the cups in place with a few stitched. It was SO easy and I am horrible at any type of arts and crafts stuff.

You could save about $15 bucks (that is assuming it would be an additional alteration fee)if you went to a fabric/crafts store (I have seen the cups there) and sewed them in yourself. It sounds scary to do that to a precious wedding gown, but it really was shockingly easy.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/4/2008 7:30:48 PM
Author: swimmer
Hmmm, never heard of the bra dismembering either...my alterations lady wanted me to put bigger cups in than I was comfy with. She kept saying 'boobs never too big!' but I prevailed and got the less padded variety. A good friend was nervous about cups being put in her wedding dress and so instead ended up with Madonna cone like breast. She had gone to a cheap/inexperienced place and then had to go to an experienced and more spendy woman to fix it. Its still not yet laughable, a few months later.

LOL! Oh yes they are! I just found a bra that makes my boobs smaller! I was like...whoa....where'd my boobs go! YES!

I love the way you worded just like she did too! I love the way they leave words out of sentences! When ever I go to my local chinese resturant the lady says "thank you come again, have nice night" She's so sweet! Oh my fav is when she goes....2 order crab puff? Instead of 2 orders of crab puffs!

I live in TX now from MI and everyone says I talk like a yankee!
3.gif
I like the uniqueness that different cultures bring living in a bigger city! I can't wait to see Little Italy and China town in NYC!

Violet: I've never heard of that either....I'm um...gifted in that area as well and I'm praying that I won't have to wear a bra, etc. in my dress. I don't expect them to ask to cut up a bra...I think I'd be horrified!

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
Violet-I would ask your seamstress-you can buy the cups yourself at a craft store (my friend did this for me in High school when she sewed them into my prom dress). BUT like all the other posters said, it is customary to provide them. Actually, a dress I LOVED comes with a fabulous corset-like bra already sewn into it, and it''s not binding like a real corset but makes me feel like I will stay put. Did you ask about this when you purchased the dress?

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
Violet,

Actually, both of the options you have suggested are viable options. When I got my wedding dress, I was presented with the options of having cups sewn in, having my own bra sewn in, or wearing a bra that was not attached to the dress. The cups they usually offer to sew in are just that, foam cups, no underwire (imagine the foam lining to bikini tops that you can remove). For me (32D), there was no way I would have felt comfortable with that. They will also cut up the front of a bra of your choice and sew it in, this provides more support and is a good option if your dress is low or backless and a regular strapless or longline wouldn''t work. In the end, I just wore a regular longline bra. My dress had a low back, but they actually altered the bra so that it didn''t come up as high.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
My "attendant" (usherette) and I were shopping found a GORGEOUS dress about a year before my wedding on clearance, and I insisted that it was the perfect dress for my wedding (and if I remember right, it was something like $25). The back of the dress was all brown lace...bra was not going to work. She took it to a seamstress with an old bra and they cut it up and put it in (so...to answer the first part, at least in the midwest, this is normal to do).

I thought that was an awesome solution, but a few months ago, she was flipping through my wedding photos and we were talking about how beautiful her dress was (seriously...it was gorgeous, and it was SO stunning on her), and she mentioned that the bra thing was actually really lousy, because it didn''t provide much support (she''s a C-D cup). She said she felt that she should have just gone sans bra instead of going to the trouble to put one in
7.gif

I think my bridal shop was also very anti-sewing in bras because the backless strapless lends a lot more support.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Hey, thanks for all the replies!

My dress is strapless but not backless. I''m not into wearing a bra because it looks too bulky underneath. I''m about a 34C to 36B. I *could* but an underwire bra that might work better then those flimsy pads. Maybe that''s what my friend meant.

I''ll call the bridal shop but now I''m afraid of the cheap pads they might try to put in there! I have to get my dress altered anyways...

For a white dress is a nude bra the way to go to have it sewn in then? The sewn in bras work fine right vs wearing a strapless? I''m not really big in the chest area so I don''t need a ton of support, just a bit of lift!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results