shape
carat
color
clarity

Sewing Machine recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I learned to sew as a young teen and was able to make things like shorts and simple dresses. But it’s been decades since then and I’d like get back into it.

At the moment I’m making masks for my kids, by hand. I find the stitching process therapeutic and am really enjoying it but it’s slow. I really need a sewing machine but I’m not sure what to look for. Any suggestions?

jasper

Shiny_Rock
Look for a model that markets to quilters.

The BabyLock Quilter's Choice is excellent, but expensive.

My local sewing machine store says that shipments of less expensive sewing machines (that cost less than $ 500 each) sell out within days.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am phobic about sewing machines, but I know that @Maria D is a seamstress. I just hoped she would weigh in on this thread. And hasn't @Arcadian been sewing masks for the pandemic front line workers? I assume she is a pro with an up to date sewing machine, too.

Deb, cooked in Home Economics, but could never sew :wavey:

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I just use a basic Singer for masks. Most sewing is basic (straight stitch, zigzag, a few decorative stitches). The electronic and extras may not be worth it unless you want to quilt or embroider.

Juki, Janome, Brother or Singer are what I would look at.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Janome HD 3000 according to my DH. He loves it.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My father was a tailor and my mother a dressmaker...they had one of those old metal Singers in its own wooden cabinet. A real workhorse! It didn't have any fancy stitches but they sewed most of my clothes and even some coats with it, and Dad also made me some leather purses and coin purses! (I still have the cute coin purses-- a ladybug, a whale and a turtle!)

25 years ago I bought a Singer 4832C, with electronic controls. It offers a modest variety of stitches for woven and knit fabrics. I have found it perfectly adequate for everything I've needed to sew all these many years. However, I do not do embroidery or quilting, nor do I sew things to sell.

All this is to say that unless you plan to do a lot of specialized sewing, you can probably do nicely with a relatively simple machine.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My father was a tailor and my mother a dressmaker...they had one of those old metal Singers in its own wooden cabinet. A real workhorse!

Boy, I bet sewing comes naturally to you! :))

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nice to haves are a knee-lift and a higher-end moter.

If it wasn’t covid time, I’d say see if there’s a local dealer you can visit to try out various models to get a feel for them. It can be tricky to buy (a higher end) machine without having a feel for it. Might still be worth looking into, if there’s anyone selling babylock, janome, etc nearby.

If you want to get back into sewing clothes - what kind of fabrics do you like to wear? If you mostly wear knits, you may want to check out sergers as well.

(Garment sewer and babylock Katherine owner here)

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boy, I bet sewing comes naturally to you! :))

Actually I found them a bit intimidating! The sewing machine was right there in the living room and it was impossible to do any sewing without them breathing down my neck. I sewed very little until I moved to a rural area overseas for work; then I had to sew-- clothes, curtains, slipcovers, etc. I had a Singer machine there, too.

I also learned to cook then. It was that, or starve. :)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So Here's what I would go for if you didn't want to spend a lot

Its a great machine and very small, also under 200 dollars.

mechanical, standard bobbin. also super cheap but its also a juki so should will work well.

You can also see if you find any Necchi's Janome bought them so those machines will be going pretty cheap now.

Berdnina are also really nice. I've never used a babylock (I will have to some day!!)

Be very careful of Singer's though, they are NOT what they used to be. Brother machines can be good for the price, but still, be careful and really research those, lots of them are straight plastic through and through.

Pfaff is also a good brand but can be expensive/hard to find. In general they're good solid machines though.

What I will tell you is this; if you don't plan on sewing a lot, do NOT go computerized, get a mechanical machine. They tend to be cheaper, and you can end up with way fewer problems (mechanical also means you can usually fix it yourself if its not the engine or power supply)

If you plan on sewing a whole lot, and are near an authorized sewing center for your machine, go in and TEST machines... you may find you want to go computerized (I love mine, ain't gonna lie!)

But I will always keep my mechanical Singer because its a true workhorse, the one I had isn't made anymore and they rarely made their way into a shop to be fixed. The bad is when you wear the parts out like I did...lol

I will agree with @chroman that for knits you will want an overlock machine of some type.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian - what machine do you have currently? You mentioned about using your fancy new machine for making masks.

We have 4 sewing machines, 4 Phaffs and my mom’s old Singer from the 1960’s. I will never get rid of the Singer or my Pfaff 125. I recently bought a Pfaff Select 4.2 as a backup. I am a bit disappointed in it. It’s too lightweight compared to our others.

@baby nurse - I have to head out for curbside grocery pick-up but later on I will look for the article I read recently on good reliable machines. It was written by a technician who repairs them.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Going the vintage/used route is cool to if you want to keep the initial cost down, but you might also want to check in with your local sewing repair techs. I wouldn’t want to buy a machine that I couldn’t get easily serviced locally.

And they can give you a rundown on how much various things might cost.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a base model Elna with all metal components. It’s simple and I love it!

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock

I'm looking for a good and easy sewing machine as well.

I see that the spool pin is horizontal on the Janome HD 3000... can it be lifted up to suit vertical spools or is this not a problem to worry about anyway? Thx!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Janome 4120QDC. I really love this machine but will not lie, I initially winced at the price. Never thought I say it was worth it but totally was. Its probably more whizbang than I need though...lol but the stitches out of this machine are absolutely beautiful. Multiple layers aren't a big deal with a size 11 universal needle verus a size 14 for multiple layers.

Sewing masks with the singer was ...trying at times, and I don't get that with the Janome.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I see that the spool pin is horizontal on the Janome HD 3000... can it be lifted up to suit vertical spools or is this not a problem to worry about anyway? Thx!

I think all the janomes are that way. if you need vertical because you're using bigger spools, try the cup method.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just asked my DH. He only uses it in the horizontal position. He also has a Brother machine (at the beach house) and he likes this one very much. It's very smooth. Model XR9550PRW. Less expensive than the Janome. Not as good with very heavy materials like the Janome does but it does everything else. It just doesn't have the power to go through heavy material. Also a horizontal spool though.

He's using it right now to alter one of my cycling jerseys. I love having a man around the house who can sew. It's very nice. :)

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
I think all the janomes are that way. if you need vertical because you're using bigger spools, try the cup method.

What is the "cup" method?

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I thought this was a pretty good review/analysis. I like how he explains why he chooses to sell the machines he does.

https://www.sewingmachineshop.com/dans-and-martys-top-picks.htm

Everyone has their preferred brand (both consumers and retailers) but it's important to note there are good machines and not so good machines produced by the same manufacturer.

I love the following website and the corresponding youtube channel. The videos of each machine are very in-depth.

@Arcadian - I hear you about the price. I thought my Pfaff Creative 2170 was expensive when I bought it in 2007. We just looked at the prices of the two top end Pfaff machines. o_O

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Id go with Janome also
I only have the one up from the entry level but it does everything i want and more
I would honestly think about an overlooker also
Once you have tried one you will wonder how you ever did without one

I wouldn't spend too much right off on either
You can always upgrade latter when you know what you want - what you will use it for

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I used to know a lot about current sewing machines but once I went back to work full-time years ago I stopped keeping up, so I can't give advice on specific makes and models. I recommend buying from a vendor that allows you to test-drive the machines. You don't have to spend a fortune, but buying cheap will just lead to frustration. I have know many people that think they just can't learn to sew as well as I do when it's really just that their machine wasn't meant to do anything more than stitch together basic woven cotton.

The machine in my avatar (Bernina 1090S) was a huge investment for me at the time but here it is 24 years later and it is still a joy to use. I have used it to make children's clothing, tailored wool suits, silk blouses, denim jeans, countless window treatments, quilts.. you name it! But I would never have gotten the bug to learn how to sew so well if I hadn't chucked the $100 department store special I first had.

The link that @MJ_Mac provided looks very informative.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I just use a basic Singer for masks. Most sewing is basic (straight stitch, zigzag, a few decorative stitches). The electronic and extras may not be worth it unless you want to quilt or embroider.

Juki, Janome, Brother or Singer are what I would look at.

Exactly this! I use an old Singer that my grandma bought me when I was 12 (I was so disappointed at the time, but now I love it).

She was a seamstress and I inherited her old sewing machine. Same idea. A workhorse with lots of basic stitches.

I can make masks, clothing, and upholstery. You don’t need all of the electronics.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went to sewing classes for years - mainly just for female company ...and to use the overlockers (they had 4 and at all times there was black, white and grey thread)
Anyway anyway the high school had good quality work horses - i think Elna or Bernina
The ladies i felt the most sorry for where the ones who had been given or had brought the very cheap brother model that a local Australian owned fabric and bomewear store used to sell for like $200 because they were pretty sh#t really and after using the school machines it must have been a bit ugly to go home to Mr El Chepo

My Janome is not quite Barry the basic but it does everything i need and its proven good quality, i know the money i spent on it (only $500 18 years ago) was money well spent
Ive never once used the one step button thingy that was new at the time

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@baby nurse - I forgot to mention the reason I am hooked on Pfaff is because of the IDT (dual feed). At one time it was proprietary to Pfaff but Bernina now has a version. I think some of the other brands may have a version or add on. I am also the type of person once I get used to something it's hard to switch to another make whether it's a washing machine, coffee maker, hair dryer, etc.. You get the picture (lol).

I am like you, I got away from sewing for a while and am just getting back into it and really enjoying it. But as @Maria D said, a bad machine will lead to frustration. Nothing sucks the joy out of sewing faster than working with a unreliable sewing machine. Please watch Dan's video of "Toy vs Tool". My advice is to take some time and watch some videos of various sewing machines. Figure out what features you want and need and don't get sidetracked by all the bells and whistles (that's my problem). By the way, I read a couple of reviews that mentioned that Pfaff machines aren't good for beginners - too complicated.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If it was not for covid I would say craigslist.
Older metal gear singer and brothers for $25-$50 with little use.
Checked and there is nothing in my area so there must be a pretty big demand because there is usually 10 or so on there.
Basically in the used market the more stitches the worse the quality until you get into the high end models.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I want to add that I was so rusty when the mask making hit, I brought the Singer machine upstairs and just sort of stared at it until I remembered the basics. YouTube was wonderful at providing a refresher course on how to sew.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results