shape
carat
color
clarity

Settings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shiftworker

Rough_Rock
I have been researching now for awhile to replace my wife''s ring. She lost her stone, and we want to buy a new ring too. I am starting to feel comfortable with the internet route. I think I will get more ring for my money than at a regular store.

One thing has taken me by surprise: Yellow gold seems to be out! To me, a ladies skin tone determines what looks best on her. Just an opinion, but on darker skin, I happen to like yellow gold; while on whiter skin, white gold or platinum may be better.

Is there a reason for the lack of choice in yellow gold? Am I just imagining it, and have not looked enough?

Any sites or links that have a good choice of yellow gold settings would be appreciated. However, I have looked at a lot that are mentioned on this forum.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Hi,
You are right, white is very in right now but there are those who still like yellow. And you are very smart to notice that skin tone really is more important to metal color than fashion.

I got married in yellow gold (my husband''s choice) and I did not like how it looked on my super pale skin. I ended up resetting in platinum years later and it looks much better on me.

However, I also agree with you that on darker skin tones, yellow looks great. If my skin were darker, I would have stuck with yellow gold.

More important though is what SHE wants. Even taking skin tone into consideration, what she wants is more important!

Have fun shopping. There are some great vendors on the internet but be careful too who you buy from. I would definately stay far far away from ebay for such a purchase.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
White metals are just way more popular right now. Most sites will show all white metal rings for this reason but a lot of the designer settings will come in yellow gold, you just have to ask and of course if you go custom you can choose yellow gold there too. I agree that some skin tones look better with YG or WG but I'd find out what metal your wife wants. My mom is a huge YG fan and will never change. there have been a few ladies on here who have changed their wedding sets from yellow gold to WG since that is what's more popular nowdays.

ETA: welcome to Pricescope
35.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome and how sweet of you to want to replace her ring! I would go with the color metal she likes better and not concentrate too much on how it looks on her skin. I think it is *very* rare for one color to look THAT much better than another.

shiftworker

Rough_Rock
She lost the stone after 18 years. I learned by now!
2.gif
SHE wants yellow gold! LOL But I agree it looks great on her.

I live in Houston, so Whiteflash is here. That gives us the ability to actually see in person, but will have to pay the tax!
From what I read here, James Allen would be another well respected choice.

Maybe I should just ask if their settings are avilable in yellow. I am still just researching, so I will know a little about the terms before we get into it too much. That''s one of the beauties of the ''net!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
to me, a nice stone looks best in white metal...though you could certainly use white prongs and a yellow ring...but I think the trend has been white metal...but FYI, I am hearing that a lot of the newer jewelry (not e rings per se but general stuff) is coming in in yellow gold...

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
If she likes yellow, than the lady should get yellow! But I would set the stone in white prongs and go with a yellow band.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/30/2006 10:35:37 PM
Author: shiftworker
She lost the stone after 18 years. I learned by now!
2.gif
SHE wants yellow gold! LOL But I agree it looks great on her.

I live in Houston, so Whiteflash is here. That gives us the ability to actually see in person, but will have to pay the tax!
From what I read here, James Allen would be another well respected choice.

Maybe I should just ask if their settings are avilable in yellow. I am still just researching, so I will know a little about the terms before we get into it too much. That''s one of the beauties of the ''net!
Whiteflash is in your back yard, lucky you!!! I love a yellow gold setting but like the prongs to be WG or Platinum. Good luck in your search. That is so sweet of you!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
You might also check out Pearlmans, i bought my stone from them and plan on getting a setting there to i the near future. Most of the settings he carries come in YG, you can also check out the closeout section for a bunch of YG rings at discount pricing.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Goodoldgold is also a high repected vendor here, so I''d definitely check them out as well.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skin tone definitely plays a factor on which looks best, but most important is what she likes. I don''t really have a preference per se, I have both white and yellow (mostly yellow), but my wedding set is yellow. I have always thought that yellow gold has more of a ''rich'' look to it...but again, I like it all!

shiftworker

Rough_Rock
I definitely appreciate all the replies and advice. I bet there are MANY folks who use this forum to get some education who never register, not that there''s anything wrong with that. I did not get upset at the stone loss; it seemed like an ideal time to upgrade since finances are so much different now than when the first ring was bought. However, I plan on this next ring being nice enough that regular inspections would be sensible. For a couple like us, a purchase like this would have to be considered very large and very rare. An educational forum like this is great. I''m just a blue collar worker, but I consider this purchase to be a piece of art that symbolizes my feelings for her. I may ask other questions, and may post a pic of our purchase when we''re done.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
may i suggest yellow gold with platinum prongs. best of both.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/31/2006 5:33:03 AM
Author: shiftworker
I definitely appreciate all the replies and advice. I bet there are MANY folks who use this forum to get some education who never register, not that there''s anything wrong with that. I did not get upset at the stone loss; it seemed like an ideal time to upgrade since finances are so much different now than when the first ring was bought. However, I plan on this next ring being nice enough that regular inspections would be sensible. For a couple like us, a purchase like this would have to be considered very large and very rare. An educational forum like this is great. I''m just a blue collar worker, but I consider this purchase to be a piece of art that symbolizes my feelings for her. I may ask other questions, and may post a pic of our purchase when we''re done.
You sound like a very nice husband. Please share these feelings with your wife. And have fun searching.

I bought through James Allen and was very happy dealing with them.

shiftworker

Rough_Rock
We went looking today to help give us ideas about what to order online. Now we see why several suggest white gold or platinum prongs or head even on a yellow gold ring. Not only does the yellow gold prong possibly look distracting against the stone, but it causes a yellow hue to reflect through the stone. She nows wants yellow gold with platinum prongs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results