shape
carat
color
clarity

Settings??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chromeman

Rough_Rock
Okay.. I have read
read.gif
the info on the site and spent about twenty hours visiting links related to all of the topics relating to settings and have not found the answer yet..
Is platinum, white gold, or yellow gold, the best for a setting? My choice so far for an engagement ring is an 18K gold invisible set with 16 princess diamonds( eight on each side) and two trillium side diamonds with an approx main (oval) diamond of 1 ct. … Now my question is.. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of choices out there for yellow gold settings. Is this style, quality, or a functionality issue? Or is it more of the trend to pick white gold or platinum over yellow gold?
read.gif

TIA
Bob

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
Hello there. Whether you want gold or platinum is really a preference. Technically, I believe platinum is supposed to be the best as far as long term wearing goes, but white gold is a little shinier (feel free anyone to correct me if I am wrong). As far as why their are less yellow gold settings, I think just because white gold and platinum are popular right now. If you are deciding between white and yellow gold, there are really no differences other than the color, aside from that white gold sometimes has rhodium plating (i believe) which may rub off after a while and cause the yellow to come through, but you can get it replated. The only thing that some people are concerned with 18 kt gold is that it is softer than 14 kt. So if your gf is very active she may bang up the ring, but it depends on what kind of lifestyle she has. Hope this helps!! Good luck searching.

chromeman

Rough_Rock
Thanks, It helps a lot.. So if 14K YG is a bit more stable for activity than that should be something to look into. Other than that chosing Platinum, or White gold is a fashion preference, so to speak?!

B

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
I'm glad I could help. When it comes down to it, I would say it was mostly a taste preference, though some would say that platinum is the best way to go because of its strength (and perhaps long lasting luster?) which is why it is pricier I believe - it also is better for people that are allergic to some metals, but you would probably already know if your gf is allergic to gold. But if you and your gf like the look of yellow gold better, than certainly go for it. I'm sure whatever jeweler you buy from can easily explain to you any difference I may not be aware of between gold and platinum, or anything I am incorrect about, if that will make you more confident. Glad to help, be sure to buy whatever makes you feel more comfortable and you like best, and good luck with your purchase.

chromeman

Rough_Rock
LOL.. Unfortunately I have not ever met a girl that was allergic to gold.. But it has been awhile since I had to look for an engagement ring and I wanted to be up to date and politically correct..
Thanks
Bob
wavey.gif

PinkishFlower

Rough_Rock
Chromeman, I''m in the same boat as you, trying to decide on the setting for my diamond.
My understanding is that for dimaonds of H color or better, the ring part can be yellow or white as long as the setting part is platinum or white gold. For diamonds of I color or less, you''re better off with a yellow ring and yellow setting.
What I''m not sure about is if the yellow ring portion will throw a yellow tint on an ''E'' color diamond even though the setting part is white.
It would be sad if after spending the extra money to get a colorless diamond, the ring makes it look yellow.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Platinum is the best option because when it is polished well it has more luster. Good platinum alloys are whiter then w/g. A well polished platinum setting will add extra brilliance to the stone, more or less depending on the settings design. It is beneficial to rhodium plate both w''g and platinum. The colour is not that much different then platinum that you will see it wear off and it adds a little more luster yet again. More importantly rhodium plating can''t wear off under the diamond and the extra whiteness and shine brings your diamond up in all 4 c''s.

Platinum is the longest lasting and hardest metal used in setting. When platinum is soft it is quite soft, when platinum is hardened by being worked on it becomes very hard, very quickly. Hardened platinum affords you greater design potential. You can potentially set your oval stone in a 4 claw

Gold is not used as often because it is gold in colour and not white. Your white stone looks a liitle off-colour in a bezel setting and you don''t the illusion of size where the shiny white under and around the stone add their own white sparkly brilliance. If you wern''t talking about diamonds, but saphires or rubies etc then yellow gold looks better.

It is not all important to have white rather then gold, but let us know what setting design you choose and we can advise better on the pro-s and con''s

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Gold will only affect the colour of the diamond where it is physically touching. Even 1mm away the gold does not affect the stones colour. Metal must touch the diamond where it is set - on the claws and even this has little effect. Bezel settings where the metal touches the diamond all way around is a very bad idea on a white stone.

If the metal touches the point it will spoil the colour completely but this should never be done in any setting so you don''t have to think about that.

where the diamond is seated at the pavillion - advantageous to your oval stone, the contact of gold has little effect

Hope that helps

PS

I don''t believe there are people who are allergic to gold, those people who have allergic reactions to gold/white gold rings are actually allergic to the nickel that is used as an alloy

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Nickel or another alloy, there are many. I am sure somebody here has the run down

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results