shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting suggestions for a 1.5ct J-L range OEC?

eliza1814

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, long-time lurker, and now that I'm actually getting engaged, first-time poster!

My boyfriend inherited a diamond which he is planning on using for my engagement ring when the time comes. He won't let me see it in person (he thinks it is bad luck) but I have seen a (rather blurry, not suitable to post) picture of it and from what he and I can piece together from both the picture and info from his grandmother (who previously owned it before giving it to him,) it's a 1.5ct round shape, probably somewhere between J-L in color, and if I had to guess, probably an OEC or transitional cut, but I haven't seen a good enough picture of it yet to tell for sure. It was purchased in the mid-1920's (a true antique!) if that helps piece together any clues about actual cut... but definitely a round shape. He is going to get a better picture of it to show me soon so we can decide together what kind of settings we'd both like for it. Never thought I'd be the kind of girl who picked out her own engagement ring and truth be told, it makes me a little uncomfortable to do so, but what I would like to do is give him a general idea of what I think would look good with that stone, and have him do the rest -- both to ensure that it's still a surprise, as well as to ensure that he is giving me something that we both truly love.

I'm back and forth b/w wanting a setting with sidestones and one that is a plain solitaire. My concern is that, if the diamond is as colored as I think it is, a modern platinum setting with H-range stones would look "off" next to my diamond. So then he'd want to custom-make something because he'd want it all to match, and while we do have some money to work with since he's getting a free center stone, I really don't want him to break the bank.

I love simple, thin pave or channel-set sidestone settings. I also love trellis settings.

Does anyone have any ideas about what might look pretty with my diamond? Without seeing a picture I know it's kinda hard, but I would like to maintain the antique quality of the stone and not make it look too "modern" or new, if that makes any sense -- it is, after all, an heirloom. I would wear the original setting but it's far too small for my finger (I'm a size 7, it's probably a 5) and isn't in great shape, so he really wants to reset it.

Also, does anyone have any idea what it would cost him to custom-make a white gold or platinum setting with pave or channel-set stones to match my diamond?

Thanks everyone!
E

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I'm wondering if you should just put in a cheap setting until you can actually see it (get engaged) and then choose a setting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Many OEC's have thin girdles or girdle issues, so I personally would lean toward a bezel setting... I adore the Julia Bezel from JBEG and think it would be just amazing with a 1.5 carat stone. I'd love to see if they could do it in unplated white gold... but platinum would be amazing as well. http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/JbEG-Signature-Settings-and/Plain-and-Pave-Solitaires/The-Julia-Bezel-Featuring-a/14932953_XmEfT#1114853993_uX9xV It's such a feminine and beautifully executed setting!

If you want a pave shank, I'm sure they could make that adjustment for you and I think it would look amazing!

If you want something more ornate... the Bella Halo in rose gold is to die for: http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/JbEG-Signature-Settings-and/Halos/The-Bella-Halo-Featuring-a-9mm/16713089_WPwSgd#1282709088_3gNWrmp-A-LB

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1315792813|3015502 said:
I'm wondering if you should just put in a cheap setting until you can actually see it (get engaged) and then choose a setting.

Yes, this. You need to see it first. Does it matter at all to you if the stone is not well cut? Just something to think about. If the sentiment matters more, that is great.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I would look at single stone for setting inspiration. For some reason their pics on first dibs are far better than their own website. They can also probably fix any girdle damage.

eliza1814

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D|1315843394|3015805 said:
centralsquare|1315792813|3015502 said:

Yes, this. You need to see it first. Does it matter at all to you if the stone is not well cut? Just something to think about. If the sentiment matters more, that is great.

Wow, thanks everyone for the awesome suggestions! Regarding seeing the stone, I can't imaine any scenario short of it having a huge black spot in the middle that would make me reject this stone as my e-ring; it's my BF's family heirloom and means a lot to him. His grandma has worn it for 55 years and is a classy lady so I can't imagine it's ugly. Maybe it's not the most perfect stone but I'd rather have an imperfect family heirloom than waste money on a new stone that is aesthetically "better" but lacks the history and meaning of his grandma's stone. Just my feelings on it :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results